ADVERTISEMENT

Positive takeaways from the George Mason game

Ulla1

Head Coach
Apr 21, 2011
There were a number of positives to take away from the George Mason experience last night.

Pregame
1. It marked the first time in a while that my daughter accompanied her Dad to both the pregame function and the game. Save for her saying numerous times, “Dad, the Spiders suck.”, it was a pleasurable experience.
2. The pregame function was great. The food was good, especially the meatballs, and enough fresh fruit and vegetables were offered to ameliorate any negative effects of the meatballs.
3. Keith Gill, the AD, attended the pregame function. He looked good, clean- shaven and well dressed, a fine representative of Spider athletics.
4. We stood by for a minute or two waiting to talk with Mr. Gill, but a number of alumni beat us to the punch and seemed to be saying some of the same things we might have mentioned to him anyway.
5. Spider alumni are generally friendly and quite respectable. We met a couple who graduated in the early ‘90’s and greatly enjoyed talking with them. They even offered to buy drinks, but I already had two, and wanted to be able to appreciate the Spider victory.
6. It took only a few minutes to drive from the bar to the basketball arena and having had only two drinks I was still sober and ready to cheer for the Spiders.

The game
1. The Spiders held the George Mason center, Shevon Thompson, to zero assists! You heard that right, ZERO assists. However, he did have 16 points and 17 rebounds.
2. The Spiders made their forward, Marko Gujanicic, look like Jeff Cohen, the former W&M All American in early ‘60’s. Loved his classic hook shot, the goggles and total lack of athleticism. Some how the Spiders made him a star.
3. The Mason fans were nice and respectable. Front Royal Spider will be happy to know that not a one laughed at either my daughter or me.
4. Khwan Fore was really good. He will be great before he leaves UR. Moreover, he is such a well-spoken young man, humble and always giving credit to his teammates.

Postgame
1. For the first time EVER, we left early. This was good as the couple we had met at the pregame function was also leaving. It was good to visit with them again.
2. Traffic was no problem on the 63 mile drive home, yet another good thing.

Enjoyed several drinks after getting home and tried to figure out how the Spiders had become such a bad team. The only bad thing was I ran out of peanuts. OSC

Maybe one of your best posts ever, The Ulla. Glad you shared the festivities with Ulletta.

I do want to give Kudos to John Moran. Walkon or not, as bad as we need an offensive spark sometimes, I wish Mooney had played him more. I would love to see him get 12-14 minutes in the Fordham game.

Off topic, my wife who is an adjunct at Christopher Newport, just told me that their men's basketball team is 28-1, ranked #3 in Div III.
Go Captains!!

Reactions: Ram Bal
My key takeaways:
- I parked closer to the arena as an away fan showing up 40 mins before tip than I do at the RC as a Spider Club member/season ticket holder
- we are lucky to have the new RC as our home arena. GMUs arena is very similar to the RC pre-renovation and our place just blows it out of the water. It's nicer, we have huge screens/replays, and it's so much louder. Their place would be a morgue if it wasn't for their band. Even half full, our place generates a huge amount of noise.

Reactions: Ulla1
Maybe one of your best posts ever, The Ulla. Glad you shared the festivities with Ulletta.

I do want to give Kudos to John Moran. Walkon or not, as bad as we need an offensive spark sometimes, I wish Mooney had played him more. I would love to see him get 12-14 minutes in the Fordham game.

Off topic, my wife who is an adjunct at Christopher Newport, just told me that their men's basketball team is 28-1, ranked #3 in Div III.
Go Captains!!
We will be playing CNU in Las Vegas tourney . The line is CNU -9

We will be playing CNU in Las Vegas tourney . The line is CNU -9
Whoa, whoa, whoa...so you're saying it's a given that we will first play Central Conn. in the play in game? I also heard that we might have to travel to Incarnate Word & play them instead of Central Conn. Things should be finalized by Monday at noon. Stay tuned.

Reactions: SpiderK

Go Captains!!

Looks like they beat Lycoming and NYU to advance to the Sweet 16 against Keene St. Didn't know they were having such a good year. Congrats to them!

FYI, the ODAC representative Lynchburg got beat in the 2nd round against Ohio Wesleyan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT