ADVERTISEMENT

St. Louis in game

Our NET dropped, but Rhode Island is a quad 1 win right now, and SLU is one of 4 A-10 teams in the top 50. That loss yesterday does not ruin anything if we still get to 13 IC wins and beat a few more top teams.
I will be completely shocked if UR gets the magic 13 you keep referencing.

48 points given up in the paint and only 2 second chance points scored. That's coaching soft.

Reactions: keefusb
b96be4a8-755d-416f-9431-0350ee3d1cc4_2.20066c5b4dda3684deb0a0f9b2de196c.jpeg

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

And of course I see a sprinkling of some what was GG's problem tonight. Other than shooting 2-8 in the 1st half, he had 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal in 12 minutes. Thought he could have seen the ball more in the 2nd half but didn't happen.

The fall guy nod goes to JG tonight. And honestly I don't want to get on him cause once again 18 + 20 = 38 minutes. Too much for someone you had 2 points, 0 assist and 2 TO's in the 1st 18. Got worse in the 2nd 20 but it's only one game and I'll take JG over Fattless Russell every day of the week.
Yeah, tell me all about Fatts. I'm all ears. Please. Just wait. Kids a playa. You guys got a top 50 squad. Be happy about it. Sheesh...

Disappointing how soft our post play offensively and defensively performed. Would prefer to see hard fouls sending a message and going hard to the defender. Finesse will not get the desired results. STL didn’t double team the ball in the post, so few kick outs for open in rhythm shooters. Among other problems, turnovers, forced shots, etc. Rebounding, I thought was better than normal, but STL didn’t miss many shots.
Not sure if STL wanted it more, or if Spiders were over confident?

Another weakness, the PG should be the throttle for the team, controlling the gas pedal and brake, not allowing the gunner to go Rambo, or post going one on one without success. JG needs to be more in control of the flow and not defer to the others. Beckwith, Atkinson, Anderson, etc. are great examples.

Another weakness, the PG should be the throttle for the team, controlling the gas pedal and brake, not allowing the gunner to go Rambo, or post going one on one without success. JG needs to be more in control of the flow and not defer to the others. Beckwith, Atkinson, Anderson, etc. are great examples.
Gilyard was a non factor at best on Saturday. I'm sorry but if that is what he is going to give us, Mooney needs to sit him down and make him watch for a bit.

Francis got the hook when he launched 3 consecutive ill advised 3's but Gilyard can do whatever he wants out there including being a complete non-factor for pretty much the entire game and never gets the hook.

The lack of player accountability particularly among Mooney's favorites has to change.

There were lots of reasons we lost on Saturday, but when you all A-10 POY candidate, plays 39 minutes, scores 2 points and commits 5 turnovers, that should go at the top of the list.

Also, the best player on this team is Francis, hope he is not injured badly or we are in a world of hurt.

Gilyard was a non factor at best on Saturday. I'm sorry but if that is what he is going to give us, Mooney needs to sit him down and make him watch for a bit.

Francis got the hook when he launched 3 consecutive ill advised 3's but Gilyard can do whatever he wants out there including being a complete non-factor for pretty much the entire game and never gets the hook.

The lack of player accountability particularly among Mooney's favorites has to change.

There were lots of reasons we lost on Saturday, but when you all A-10 POY candidate, plays 39 minutes, scores 2 points and commits 5 turnovers, that should go at the top of the list.

Also, the best player on this team is Francis, hope he is not injured badly or we are in a world of hurt.
I agree that Gilyard just did not show up last night but saying Francis is our best player is not true. Yes, Gilyard played a terrible game most likely the worst game of his college career but he is still the best player on this team. Francis averages 4 more points than Gilyard taking 6 more shots a game. Gilyard also is much better at distributing the ball and getting people wide-open looks(Gilyard averages 3 more assists per game than Francis). Francis also averages double the amount of turnovers per game than Gilyard. Francis has also had some bad games himself. 7 points against auburn on 3-14 shooting. The difference between the 2 is that when Gilyard is cold he knows to stop shooting, unlike Francis who went 0-8 from 3 against Alabama. Francis is an incredible player and we need him if we want to win but Gilyard is hands down out best player.

Reactions: MrTbone
Gilyard is having an off month. In his last 7 games, he is averaging less than 10 ppg, shooting 16% from 3. Blake has been the far more consistent player this year, than Gilyard. And yes, Blake has a loose handle at times, but when you watch the game flow, Blake is the one taking and making big shots, Blake is the one who is pushing and creating more on offense than Gilyard. I think defensively, they both have similar strengths and weaknesses, although quite obviously Gilyard is a special player when it comes to steals.

I hope Gilyard gets his mojo back because he is a far better player than what the shown the past 7 games. I want Gilyard to be our best player because he can effect the game in so many ways, but for the past month, he hasn't been and Francis has.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Gilyard is having an off month. In his last 7 games, he is averaging less than 10 ppg, shooting 16% from 3. Blake has been the far more consistent player this year, than Gilyard. And yes, Blake has a loose handle at times, but when you watch the game flow, Blake is the one taking and making big shots, Blake is the one who is pushing and creating more on offense than Gilyard. I think defensively, they both have similar strengths and weaknesses, although quite obviously Gilyard is a special player when it comes to steals.

I hope Gilyard gets his mojo back because he is a far better player than what the shown the past 7 games. I want Gilyard to be our best player because he can effect the game in so many ways, but for the past month, he hasn't been and Francis has.
I had to check and yes 5-31 from 3, 17-32 from 2 in the last 7. No FT attempts in the last 3 games.
3 games with 4,4,5 turnovers. Saturday was the first game he had been off on assists.
He did have a good game against Bama, but the only one out of seven.
The Davidson game would be a good time to come out of the slump.

Reactions: urfan1
I had to check and yes 5-31 from 3, 17-32 from 2 in the last 7. No FT attempts in the last 3 games.
3 games with 4,4,5 turnovers. Saturday was the first game he had been off on assists.
He did have a good game against Bama, but the only one out of seven.
The Davidson game would be a good time to come out of the slump.
I would also like to point out that these last 7 games have been the worst stretch of games this season. We need Gilyard to be on the rest of the season if we want any chance of making a huge a-10 run and getting a bid.

I would also like to point out that these last 7 games have been the worst stretch of games this season. We need Gilyard to be on the rest of the season if we want any chance of making a huge a-10 run and getting a bid.
Yep, not a coincidence that we are playing our worst ball when our best player has not been playing great ball. We need first 10 game Gilyard to show back up, if we are going to make a run.

Ironically or perhaps not that our best game in the past 7 was obviously the road W at Rhody. We mad our huge run in that game with Gilyard on the bench with foul trouble.

Yep, not a coincidence that we are playing our worst ball when our best player has not been playing great ball. We need first 10 game Gilyard to show back up, if we are going to make a run.

Ironically or perhaps not that our best game in the past 7 was obviously the road W at Rhody. We mad our huge run in that game with Gilyard on the bench with foul trouble.
Actually, what I noticed about that game was, it seemed every time a player should get a rest and maybe wasn't going to, they got a foul and got one anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, tell me all about Fatts. I'm all ears. Please. Just wait. Kids a playa. You guys got a top 50 squad. Be happy about it. Sheesh...

Yes, he's a good player and I just like playing around with his name. He's over-hyped IMO though. Kenny right now has him as 1st team selection? I think threemanweave had it more accurate with Jacob preseason 2nd team and Fatts not making even 3rd team. So saying he's at JG's level, the Fattless name sticks or maybe better way for you to understand, he's not as great of a playa as Jacob.

Agree, Gilyard has been struggling. He seems to have become tentative, especially looking for his shot. Need both him and Grant to turn it up , starting at Davidson. This team doesn't seem to do well with success, need to build on it, not rest on it. Davidson is not that great, but still a big test on the road.

Mooney needs to get Gilyard some rest, espicially when Gilly is not being assertive. We have a deeper bench this year. No reason, we should be running Gilly out there for 39 minutes like we did against SLU. A few minutes on the bench observing the game flow might help Gilly reset and understand what he need to do when back on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT