ADVERTISEMENT

spring practice

The offensive line shouldn't be too much of an unknown. We return 4 guys who started all or multiple games last year. Ritcher, High, Vergos, Evans. To me the defensive line is more of the unknown although I believe we have a lot of talent there.

Agreed MAC... only thing I had been referencing was the fact that it is an unknown until all can get experience with each other.. New OC and New QB's is a load to take on, and it depends how much the system has changed or remained the same.... good point on thier experience though.. thanks..

TODAY'S PRACTICE

Helkowski had several great puntsYoder hit 2 long field goalsBroddas has a very good armJamal Bevels is on crutches

Long time follower of the boards, but first time poster. I was able to make to practice on Saturday and came away with a few observations:

Peter Yoder looked great kicking field goals.
Lauletta and Broadus both had solid practices.
Jared Coker looks like he could turn into a great player in the coming years.

I watched a little practice on Saturday too. I continue to be impressed by Tafon Mainsah. He is going to be a very good CB for our level. We have a chance to be as good at Corner as we have ever been with Mainsah, Jordan, Ayo.

Also, Caleb Drake appears to be a full time WR now. May be the fastest player on the team. He could be dangerous if we get him the ball in space.

QB's are looking very bad through the first half today. Indecision and weak arms.

Lauletta played well with a couple very nice drives. He has seperated himself. He is not Corp or Strauss but i feel good about what I saw today.

don't agree with spider k at all. there is very little drop off with these 2 kids at QB... offense is not our worry going forward. our defense is full of untested new players and is opt to give up lots of yardage and points. I see a 5-6 team here. with a healthy fisher and more improvement on the O line maybe 6-5

I was impressed with the athleticism and size on both sides of the ball. Several DL recovering from surgery and will be added to mix in fall. I think our defensive secondary will be much improved and was glad to see Selton Hodge get most improved on the defensive side of the ball as we need to fill a need at LB replacing Wright and he is extremely athletic with size and speed. I also think both QBs will move out of the pocket and keep plays alive longer for Diggs and Brown to get open. I also like seeing some I formation with Moon at FB as a lead blocker. A stronger running game will take some pressure off our new QB. Good turnout by fans.

cannot tell a great deal from a spring game, they know each other to well. But what I saw left me encouraged. I felt we played better on both sides as the went on. I felt KL probably won the lead at the QB slot, although I felt he was the leader coming in. Some nice runs, nice catches, good tackles, and good pressure from D line.

BTW met one of our incoming FR and his parents. Tyler Cole, DL/OL. Big kid, we may have gotten a steal due to an injury he suffered. Seemed like a level headed young man. sister is a softball player at Lehigh and dad played baseball at JMU. Nice to steal one from the purple as they offered also.

Fan 1

Presume that Tyler Cole is a preferred walk-on since he was not included in the original 17-2015 non transfer recruits.Great addition to the team in either case.

Tyler Cole

^^Thanks. DR seems really pleased where we are, considering all the Senior losses and I don't sense that it's 'coach speak'.

URTOM68, you saw very little drop off from Strauss to these two QB's???? Wow, looked like a cliff in this game. 14 was late on most crossing routes, has no touch and nervous feet. 5 is a better passer, but weak throws to the sidelines. They will no doubt get better. 14 will end up running and 5 will be the passer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT