ADVERTISEMENT

Spider Collective NIL

You mean like when we heard we would suck because we wouldn't use the transfer portal? Or we would suck because we didn't care about NIL? One thing that hasn't and will never change...... This board will be negative toward our school and programs no matter what happens.
All I know is if we don't participate aggressively with things like university supported NIL funding when it's available, we will be left behind.

And as far as negativity, I could easily take you as extremely negative to think we can't compete with the bigger schools or we should be totally satisfied when we don't make the NCAA tournament because we're little 'ole Richmond. To me, that's pretty negative to think we should never expect better.

It is ridiculous how negative this board is. Are you like this with the rest of your lives? Some of you find anything to complain about.

The bottom line is our NIL is kicking ass. BTW, if you ever participated on the NIL bi-weekly Zoom calls or read the group texts, they are about as positive on the program as a group could be.
I’d like to be added to the NIL group text.

Qualifications: I’m great with emojis, my one-liners are very topical and I can use gifs from The Office, Seinfeld and Game of Thrones as well as anyone.

My # is (718) COMPETE

Looking forward to the banter!

The last 12 months, we have won conference titles in football, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's lacrosse, and women's golf. That sure is a lot of winning for a school that "isn't serious about our programs" or "doesn't care about winning, only wants to compete". Wow, just imagine if we cared, right?
I agree VT - UR had a great year. Women's hoops was excellent. I hope they keep the core together and can't get back to the NCAA next year. Back to back for the women could really mean something and maybe Roussell could keep the ball rolling.

Men's hoops - slow start, then middle of season was awesome, then end of year - it was like watching the Philadelphia Eagles all over again. I like that we won the A10 title, and HOPE in the future - the A10 title winner is already in the NCAA tourney before the A10 tourney starts. If the trend continues where the A10 Regular Season champion has to play their way into the NCAA tourney - that is bad for UR and A10. But I hope that is just an anomaly.

Football - great season, making the playoffs is or should be the standard for our program. Then every so often - make a run. If they keep that up and can send a few guys to the pros - we could be a destination for players in the portal looking for more playing time.

Just a mind numbingly dumb move. Yeah u never want to rub elbows with the Gov and high level politicians when u can as a school in the commonwealth. Where is our advocacy? I suppose we might not be gung ho, idk about that one either but u show up whatever the reason. And it's only a 10-15 min drive!

I had a feeling we bagged it. No helmet, no comments, nobody in the pictures, not mentioned.

Little ol' Richmond
This is an extraordinarily dumb move. If universities are allowed to more directly fund NIL and we are choosing not to when we are more than capable, we are literally throwing the program down the drain. There is no way our small alumni base Spider Collective will be able to keep up no matter how well it's doing. Just too small of a pool. Other schools with larger alumni bases also have Collectives which will be larger just by sheer number of alumni PLUS they will utilize university resources as well.

We are lucky to be able to compete with larger universities in the university funded portion because of our endowment AND Virginia is getting a head start. If we choose to not participate in this golden opportunity, it is like having the ball in the red zone ready to score and choosing to punt!!

@UR80sfan is it negative to no show an event 10 mins away when it involves a state law that potentially has a huge impact on your athletic program?

If anyone was negative it was UR. Feels disrespectful so not a very savvy move. & all the main state schools found decency to show. Maybe u know what went into our decision there.

@UR80sfan is it negative to no show an event 10 mins away when it involves a state law that potentially has a huge impact on your athletic program?

If anyone was negative it was UR. Feels disrespectful so not a very savvy move. & all the main state schools found decency to show. Maybe u know what went into our decision there.
Not who I want to compare to, but I am curious if Liberty was there…

Don't know, was it invitation only?

Unfortunately the best progressive move was never made. Giving the best attempt on getting into the Big East. Someone tell me what's so better about Nova? That's right, basketball. And as we can see now, no worries of probably being dropped to the level of Spider football if it happened.

How much easier that would have made recruiting? And the group of posters here that wanted Mooney out, well that would have in all probability occurred sooner than it ever would presently.

They still need a 12th member. Well if I was a President of a good b-ball only college, I would going all-in to be that.

I wonder if this law was rushed through like the NCAA did with the NIL stuff. Like with the NIL, I could see things not going the way they originally planned. Seems like it might be hard for a school to pay kid A this amount, kid B a different amount, and kid C no amount. And, what about other sports? Do they get anything? Could there be legal issues with paying men and not women? Just seems like a lot of unanswered questions that might cause more problems than anticipated. And, states that don't allow the school to pay still can get plenty of players paid through their NIL, which could really just be the school paying something anyway. If Bill Self needs a guy to get paid, the school will find a way. I am 100% fine with only using our NIL and don't think this new law will be as impactful as some might think.

I suspect that since schools are now involved we will begin to see some title ix legal actions.

Actually, I think it's a much bigger signal than people even think that we didn't show up. We're waiving the flag that we are not game for this shitshow that college sports has become. And it really is a shitshow, but this is us folding.

We ain't waving any flag. Give it a rest, please.
Depends on what you mean by waiving a flag. We'll continue to have a team, but we are saying we aren't willing to put up what is necessary in today's world to compete at the highest level. This is an indication we willingly accept a lower tier rank when it comes to that This is a time of major crossroads, and this is a strong signal we are bowing down.

Depends on what you mean by waiving a flag. We'll continue to have a team, but we are saying we aren't willing to put up what is necessary in today's world to compete at the highest level. This is an indication we willingly accept a lower tier rank when it comes to that This is a time of major crossroads, and this is a strong signal we are bowing down.
Um, you brought up waving the flag. Shouldn’t you define it?

There are some next-level comments happening this offseason here. I feel like the portal has broken some brains but it’s possible many were already this way.

Um, you brought up waving the flag. Shouldn’t you define it?

There are some next-level comments happening this offseason here. I feel like the portal has broken some brains but it’s possible many were already this way.
Sure. I thought I was clear. We'll continue to have a team, but we aren't willing to do what's necessary to compete at the highest level. Choosing to not fund the NIL with university resources will inevitably put us behind.

UR's lack of attendance at the bill signing could mean a few things. 1) UR doesn't agree with the law and will continue to follow NCAA rules, and not partake in paying kids directly from the school 2) UR took a stance of not getting involved in politics (do we ever show up at anything related politically). 3) UR will wait and see if another school uses this state law and challenges the NCAA rule. I think our best case scenario is that UVA, who was a strong supporter - does it first and we follow. UR is a follower, not a leader in this area and athletics as a whole. We will wait until someone else does it first - and if it is UVA or VCU, that might be even better.

I wonder if this could be a dividing point for the haves and have nots, and maybe comes down to the conferences. And you could see realignments based on this? Schools deciding not to pay their athletes directly join their own conferences and the others that agree to pay their players - join another conference?

Not really much here from JOC talking to ETSU AD Sander...ETSU's budget will probably be around $200k, UR and VCU obviously higher.

“I’m pretty sure they’re higher than us,” said Sander. “I know VCU is. But I’m sure Richmond is, too.”

The way Sander sees it, a couple of ETSU players will have NIL money of $40,000 to $50,000 each, maybe three or four more will have packages of $25,000 to $40,000 each, and then a few other players would each be in line for NIL deals of about $15,000.

“Pretty much that’s what we’re trying to shoot for,” said Sander.

Were any of the schools that attended private?
I saw a post from Virginia Private Colleges that UR was represented at the bill signing by Stephen Butler, Deputy Director of Athletics. I think possibly my understanding was the public universities were all invited but it didn't look like the same invite was extended to all of the private colleges. Even though, we still Mr. Butler attend.

If I am the NFL, I would be suing to overturn the Sports Brodcasting Act of 1961. Since these kids are going to be professional eventually, why should the NFL be shut out of saturdays when guys are being paid to play? I guess we need to define what constitutes "college football" these days. Would be a ratings blood bath for CFB.

All the NCAA needs now is a salary cap, luxury tax, and transparency in posting everyone's NIL amounts and contract terms if they begin to sign contracts with the school. But lets not forget - these are students first, athletes second.

Reactions: mr.spider
All the NCAA needs now is a salary cap, luxury tax, and transparency in posting everyone's NIL amounts and contract terms if they begin to sign contracts with the school. But lets not forget - these are students first, athletes second.
I sense sarcasm. some are certainly athletes first.
but some were athletes first before NIL too.

I saw a post from Virginia Private Colleges that UR was represented at the bill signing by Stephen Butler, Deputy Director of Athletics. I think possibly my understanding was the public universities were all invited but it didn't look like the same invite was extended to all of the private colleges. Even though, we still Mr. Butler attend.

Thx & glad we were represented. I was surprised at the Michael Phillips RTD report we did not attend. Tho I would not have been shocked. Esp since we were invited, I had that from a source in Gov office. But had not heard if we were actually there. Butler is new to AD, possible people just didn't who he was.

Thx & glad we were represented. I was surprised at the Michael Phillips RTD report we did not attend. Tho I would not have been shocked. Esp since we were invited, I had that from a source in Gov office. But had not heard if we were actually there. Butler is new to AD, possible people just didn't who he was.
Who knows. We could have taken the bull by the horn though and used our own social media platforms to promote the fact that he was there. I don't know if we did or didn't. But generally if you are going to a bill signing, that is something you would want to promote out.

Who knows. We could have taken the bull by the horn though and used our own social media platforms to promote the fact that he was there. I don't know if we did or didn't. But generally if you are going to a bill signing, that is something you would want to promote out.
You would do that if this is a bill your totally behind and excited is getting passed. I get the feeling that UR was there, because everyone else was there and didn't want to get left out. We simply just "competed" at this bill signing.

I sense sarcasm. some are certainly athletes first.

Then go play in the NFL or NBA instead of going to college. If you're not skilled enough for the NFL or NBA yet, then use college to fine tune your skills like every other student is doing for their careers. As an athlete, you have multiple options: your sport OR education path (free at that).

You would do that if this is a bill your totally behind and excited is getting passed. I get the feeling that UR was there, because everyone else was there and didn't want to get left out. We simply just "competed" at this bill signing.
I tend to agree. I think if you're in support, you'd be in the pictures and media coverage.

Then go play in the NFL or NBA instead of going to college. If you're not skilled enough for the NFL or NBA yet, then use college to fine tune your skills like every other student is doing for their careers. As an athlete, you have multiple options: your sport OR education path (free at that).
hopefully for UR student athletes that's an AND, not an OR.

I don't get the anger towards NIL. schools aren't being taken advantage of.
for a long time schools have been willing to give scholarships. it's worth it to the school.
now, whether it's schools or boosters or companies, they're paying these student athletes. again, the schools or boosters or companies have decided that's worth it.

I tend to agree. I think if you're in support, you'd be in the pictures and media coverage.
Not even saying we need to be in the pictures, or even if UR didn't attend (which it appears they did). UR could have put out a tweet saying they support this bill and glad Virginia is looking for student-athletes. If the athletic twitter accounts tweets something like that out - it sends the message that UR at least in support of paying the athletes and will use this bill to do so. Again - could have been a leader here, could have taken the lead - but decide to stay in the background and I think it means, we probably are not going to use this bill.

Not even saying we need to be in the pictures, or even if UR didn't attend (which it appears they did). UR could have put out a tweet saying they support this bill and glad Virginia is looking for student-athletes. If the athletic twitter accounts tweets something like that out - it sends the message that UR at least in support of paying the athletes and will use this bill to do so. Again - could have been a leader here, could have taken the lead - but decide to stay in the background and I think it means, we probably are not going to use this bill.
Agreed. Pretty strong signal I think that we don't support it, which in the end will be detrimental to our chances at high success.

I expect we were there to information gather about what the bill is going to look like, see level of support among other schools, and to keep the door ajar just in case.

hopefully for UR student athletes that's an AND, not an OR.

I don't get the anger towards NIL. schools aren't being taken advantage of.
for a long time schools have been willing to give scholarships. it's worth it to the school.
now, whether it's schools or boosters or companies, they're paying these student athletes. again, the schools or boosters or companies have decided that's worth it.
people with no stake have struck lines in the sand because they're afraid of change, even if it does not affect them one bit.

Reactions: urfan1
One way to look at this NIL is through the regular student. If your just a regular student - majoring in Communications, Business, or whatever - you are not limited into any amount of money you can make on the side doing whatever you want. Whether that is waiting tables at a local restaurant, or running some type of online business that could potentially make you hundreds of thousands of dollars. What if a man/women attended UR and was a well known musician or actor/actress - would the school step in and say "Sorry, you can't make money being an actor/actress while attending UR - even though your GPA is 3.0 - we don't like you moonlighting on the side and making a lot of money". So why should the athletes limited as well? Unfortunately for them - they don't have free time as it is all taken up by their sport, but their sport is their asset they can utilize to make money - so why not do it. And I am fine with the schools being able to pay their athletes - but there has to be some "work" in return. Whether that is marketing materials for their sport, attending events, going to local community programs, etc. It can't just be - your a really good lacrosse player - here is 10K. It can be - your a really good lacrosse player, here is 10K - in return for attending these events, being on the team Billboard, and we need you to speak at 3-4 elementary schools this year.

I don't disagree, but schools will just say "Here's your $500k, and in return we need you to pose once for a picture that we can use on a billboard." You'll never be able to legislate what is "fair" when it comes to what will be required in exchange for the money.

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT