ADVERTISEMENT

Schools Pay Athletes through NIL

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
Saw this on ESPN - I think we all assume major college athletics is heading in this direction, where the schools just pay the athletes directly.

Saw this on ESPN - I think we all assume major college athletics is heading in this direction, where the schools just pay the athletes directly.

am I reading it right that they want to pay all athletes equally?
NIL was supposed to allow individual student athletes to earn money based on "something". like Johnny Football was clearly a phenomenon and he should have been able to capitalize on that. heck, they were selling replicas of his jersey. not everyone deserves equal amounts.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I read it as that the NCAA will set a minimum that each school must set aside. The proposal is that "Schools in the new, highest-paying subdivision would be required to set aside a minimum of $30,000 per athlete for at least half of their athletes on an annual basis. That money is ostensibly to help athletes continue educational pursuits during the summer or after their careers, but there would be no requirements for how they spend it."

And of course - it later states that schools could give more money to more athletes if they choose and have the funds. But these schools would need to follow Title IX rules, so if you give money to the entire football team, must spend the same amount elsewhere on women athletes. Also says schools will be tiered - but doesn't say how that would be figured - highest tier is what they reference.

College sports is heading in this direction. There is just too much money involved at the top, and it might simply be that those top schools and divisions need to break off.

top tier schools have football ... and will have to pay the top players a ton. they already do.
now you're going to have to find girls to hand money to in equal amounts to comply with Title IX? you're going to give girls on the crew team a couple hundred grand? smh

I am guessing its not the same amount per athlete but same in total - but either way. If you pay out 1 million to male athletes - you will have to pay out 1 million to women as well.

This could make this problematic for schools, but as you said - I would expect top tier schools to have big time football and they are rolling in money right now.

Makes me wonder - JMU, made the move to FBS football and has as good a season as they could hope for, and got a bowl game. I wonder what the revenue kicker will be they will see from football this year and bet it will increase next year with such a good season. As we know - winning promotes fan support.

I am guessing its not the same amount per athlete but same in total - but either way. If you pay out 1 million to male athletes - you will have to pay out 1 million to women as well.
I think this is why the current system is in place where the school is "officially" not part of the equation. if they're not paying the NIL, there's no Title IX issues.

not sure who's pushing for the schools to pay athletes directly, but I'm pretty sure it's not the schools.

I could see the bigger schools with big time football pushing to allow them to pay themselves. I don't think they want the title IX along with it, but would be willing to accept that if needed.

I don't agree with title IX in this pay for play arena - because the pay should be based off the money you bring in. We all expect and assume the lion share of this money will go to the football teams at these schools because they bring in the most money. I don't expect the women's lacrosse team to give out millions to their team simply becasuse they don't bring in the money like football.

It is similar to the WNBA and NBA argument. WNBA players want more pay in their salary, but no one shows up for their games. And the league as is - is already subsidized by NBA money. So how can you demand more money - when your popularity and attendance is decreasing.

Reactions: spiderman
Well, this shell game that is the NIL was established in part to get around Title IX. It was only a matter of time until someone called BS on that and filed a lawsuit. So, I think this is the NCAA trying to get out in front of that.

Agreed - but the NCAA is likely to argue that some of the NIL biggest earners are women athletes. Simply because - this is really the only time they can earn money. Take the Dunne girl from LSU or the basketball twins that transferred to Miami. Neither one of them were Olympic (gymnastics) or professional (basketball) level players - but they were able to cash in on their social media followings while in college with a big audience. So for some (how many - who knows) the NIL is the only opportunity for these women to earn a substantial paycheck from there sport.

Reactions: urfan1
Agreed - but the NCAA is likely to argue that some of the NIL biggest earners are women athletes. Simply because - this is really the only time they can earn money. Take the Dunne girl from LSU or the basketball twins that transferred to Miami. Neither one of them were Olympic (gymnastics) or professional (basketball) level players - but they were able to cash in on their social media followings while in college with a big audience. So for some (how many - who knows) the NIL is the only opportunity for these women to earn a substantial paycheck from there sport.
hot women athletes seem to earn a lot of NIL money ... film at 11:00.

hot women athletes seem to earn a lot of NIL money ... film at 11:00.
That might be true - but there a lot more HOT women athletes than HOT men athletes - who earn nothing. But also in sports like Field Hockey, Soccer, Women's Lacrosse, softball, etc - college is the height - so I have seen some equipment makers in those sports align with the top athletes (being hot helps - no doubt) because it is also good business to be with the best in those sports for the little girls coming up and buying all the gear to play those sports.

Dunn gets big NIL money because she has like 10 million followers on social media.
and that's not because she's an amazing gymnast.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT