ADVERTISEMENT

Spider Collective NIL

NBA players get paid a boatload more than WNBA players because the NBA brings in almost infintely more revenue than the WNBA.

that's basic freaking economics. that's not sexism.

gender has nothing to do with it. it's revenue. and if the WNBA brought in more revenue, they'd be paid more. instead, their entire league exists thanks to the NBA subsidy.
My understanding is that WNBA revenue is sort of artificially deflated right now by their last TV contract, which is going to be up soon. Viewership and interest has increased since their last contract such that they may become profitable with their next TV contract.

Reactions: WCUR11
re the NIL bill. I don't know enough to know whether it will help or hurt us, smaller schools, athletes in general etc. What I do know is that since he played basketball in college, I had no doubt that the Governor would sign it.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Will be interesting to see if any schools try to go for this right away and then sue the NCAA if they are punished (since it's still against NCAA rules), or if everyone will wait until another shoe drops.

LOL. Yep....I replied to ply's initial post by saying the WNBA started in 1997. Nothing more, nothing less. Ply responded with a long post and also threw in that post that I must not know much about the WNBA. But, sure I am the one picking fights. And, why are you still here? Weren't you done with all of this weeks ago? Oh, that's right...you are still trying to decide". LOL. The suspense is killing us!!!!!!
Why am I here? Lots of reasons. Because I love my Spiders. Because I want to understand what's going on in this crazy NIL landscape. Because I want to know what our goals are. Because I want to know know how we are positioned. Because I want to know whether we'll take advantage of this unique situation or fall victim to it.

But mainly just to annoy you!

• Haha
Reactions: Spiders4ever
So going to go a bit off topic with this. I do initially enjoy discussing things with you and hearing a different viewpoint. You always have an opinion, and that can be a really fun person to debate and discuss with. What makes it frustrating for me is that when presented with a disagreeable opinion you dig your heels in and refuse to give an inch. So instead of having what could be a fun conversation we never get to make it past the first bullet point. I’m not blameless either, I re-engaged on it, but now we’re so far off the reservation that we’ve arrived at Ulla’s Ranch.

I was this way too my first couple years on the board and didn’t make many friends doing it. Looking back I was incredibly exhausting and picked any and every fight before having a life experience that changed my way of thinking.

Like this, when you said I shouldn’t assume things that may mean you do know about the history of the WNBA and maybe watch it. Just taking a guess here. That would be fun as hell to talk about. But we never got to scratch the surface on that because I said early stages and now we’re stuck going back and forth or something that doesn’t even matter. Again, it takes two to tango and I’m just as involved in steering us off course.

Professor Dolan was my MicroEconomic Theory teacher at UR and he always said “you have to see the forest through the trees”. I feel like we’re stuck on tree #1 on the edge of the Amazon.
Well said. And, no, I don't watch the WNBA, but I did know it was started in the 90s before looking the exact time up. I did watch more women's college ball than ever this year, so I could possibly check out some WNBA in the future. All good, ply. Very well said post.

Reactions: plydogg
The new law passed in VA is very interesting. It will allow the schools to pay players directly for marketing. So put a player on a poster or billboard, you now can pay them for it. VA is paving the way to allow schools to partake in the NIL game directly and not just "indirectly". The question is - will UR take part in this. As this would clearly give UR an advantage, and yes - this is where the endowment could be used for this or other funds. In other states - this has not passed, so we potentially have a leg up. If we take advantage of it.

Correct... But it's still against NCAA rules to do that. So the first school that does it will get reprimanded in a big way and have to file suit against the NCAA, most likely. By the time that plays out an entire season will have come and gone, so it's risky.

Correct... But it's still against NCAA rules to do that. So the first school that does it will get reprimanded in a big way and have to file suit against the NCAA, most likely. By the time that plays out an entire season will have come and gone, so it's risky.

I don’t think the ncaa will do anything. They r on a losing streak.

True but it's still a risk. Unless all Virginia schools go for it together and dare the NCAA to punish them all together.

I don’t think the ncaa will do anything. They r on a losing streak.
I don;t think so. You break the NCAA rule. Then you file lawsuit, and an injunction likely gets placed - similar to what happen with all the transfers seeking exceptions this year - like Basmilie at VCU. All it took was one kid I believe in WVU to file suit, a judge filed an injunction and said while this is being sorted out - everyone is eligible to play. I think same would happen here - you do it, file suit, and then it opens up the door.

We have the luxury of hindsight to look back at the 4 major sports leagues. All of them were in their early stages after year 27. They all were completely different after year 27 to what they are today. Here is what happened in year 27 in those leagues:

MLB: A rule change was implemented so that foul balls counted as strikes. Previously a foul ball did not affect the count. A foul ball on a 1-1 count would keep it a 1-1 count. Also the World Series was best of 9.

NFL: Illegal use of hands implemented. Not what you’re thinking, illegal to use your hands to block the receivers line of vision. This was the last season that a player still had to hold the ball on kickoff. A rule change so that when the QB is sacked the game clock stops until all receivers down field get back to the line of scrimmage. The last year that refs used horns instead of whistles. The list goes on.

NBA: Still 6 years until the 3 point line was added. Still in competition with the ABA. Hand checking still allowed. Shot clock still reset if the ball hit the backboard. Before the “zone killer” rules of the early 80s.

NHL: The league had 6 teams. I’ll admit I’m not a NHL historian, but these guys weren’t wearing helmets and just look what the goalies wore. This was some real gnarly stuff.
so really no improvements were made, lol.
well ... hand checking. and the 3 point line, though they moved it like 5 times.

How do you compete with this?

MEMPHIS -- FedEx on Friday pledged $25 million over the next five years to be used in sponsorship deals with University of Memphis athletes, a huge boost for the school's name, image and likeness compensation efforts.

The Memphis-based shipping giant said the program will initially focus on football, men's and women's basketball and other women's sports. The deal was facilitated by Altius Sports Partners, a company that works with dozens of schools on NIL activities.

The deal is for $5 million per year, an especially significant sum for a school that does not play in a wealthy power conference. The Tigers compete in the American Athletic Conference.

How do you compete with this?

MEMPHIS -- FedEx on Friday pledged $25 million over the next five years to be used in sponsorship deals with University of Memphis athletes, a huge boost for the school's name, image and likeness compensation efforts.

The Memphis-based shipping giant said the program will initially focus on football, men's and women's basketball and other women's sports. The deal was facilitated by Altius Sports Partners, a company that works with dozens of schools on NIL activities.

The deal is for $5 million per year, an especially significant sum for a school that does not play in a wealthy power conference. The Tigers compete in the American Athletic Conference.

Wonder if we will see ads on jersey's next year

Reactions: urfan1
ok just googled sherwin williams ceo bio, first name was a John Morkis, second was Heidi Peitz, is a UR grad
There was a barrons article 11/3/2023 about outgoing CEO John Morikis.

Any big time UR alum at the PhilipMorris HQ?

@UR80sfan thinking if anyone here, you might be the poster knowing the answer?
This is exactly what we should be talking about relative to NIL. Identifying Alumni that might want to make a $10,000 donation or more in addition, to people on this board making any size donation. I have shard a list of some potential candidates to Greg and will continue to add to this list, but everyone should brain storm on who has been successful in your U of R year or other well off Spiders you come across and help the NIL program know who to target.

There's this family I've heard of, last name Robins. Something something pharmaceuticals, blah blah. Someone should reach out.

was a UR representative even there? Sounds like all the other VA schools were there including Odom. This was in Richmond it would be pretty dumb of us not to participate. It's not just a state school thing. & lot of media coments from ADs too. maybe nobody wants to talk to cherubic John Hardt.
We completely just glossed over this. Did we really not send a UR representative? This might be really indicative of where our basketball program is heading? Anyone have any info?

On his radio show today, Michael Phillips said we were not there. Speculated that it's because we aren't really gung ho about this sort of change. Not sure I really agree with that, but I would like to hear why we weren't there.

On his radio show today, Michael Phillips said we were not there. Speculated that it's because we aren't really gung ho about this sort of change. Not sure I really agree with that, but I would like to hear why we weren't there.
I didn't expect we'd be excited about it, but it's happening, and if we don't get on board, we're going to run our basketball program into the ground.

Reactions: Eight Legger
We completely just glossed over this. Did we really not send a UR representative? This might be really indicative of where our basketball program is heading? Anyone have any info?

Just a mind numbingly dumb move. Yeah u never want to rub elbows with the Gov and high level politicians when u can as a school in the commonwealth. Where is our advocacy? I suppose we might not be gung ho, idk about that one either but u show up whatever the reason. And it's only a 10-15 min drive!

I had a feeling we bagged it. No helmet, no comments, nobody in the pictures, not mentioned.

Little ol' Richmond

It is ridiculous how negative this board is. Are you like this with the rest of your lives? Some of you find anything to complain about.

The bottom line is our NIL is kicking ass. BTW, if you ever participated on the NIL bi-weekly Zoom calls or read the group texts, they are about as positive on the program as a group could be.

Reactions: VT4700
It is ridiculous how negative this board is. Are you like this with the rest of your lives? Some of you find anything to complain about.

The bottom line is our NIL is kicking ass. BTW, if you ever participated on the NIL bi-weekly Zoom calls or read the group texts, they are about as positive on the program as a group could be.
Could you give us some details?

Even if the Collective NIL is going great, why would you pass up the opportunity to be present for this. If we're serious about our programs, the school has to be involved too.

Reactions: spiderjpo
The last 12 months, we have won conference titles in football, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's lacrosse, and women's golf. That sure is a lot of winning for a school that "isn't serious about our programs" or "doesn't care about winning, only wants to compete". Wow, just imagine if we cared, right?

The last 12 months, we have won conference titles in football, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's lacrosse, and women's golf. That sure is a lot of winning for a school that "isn't serious about our programs" or "doesn't care about winning, only wants to compete". Wow, just imagine if we cared, right?
You have to be progressive and look forward. Times are changing...change with them or get left behind.

Reactions: spiderjpo
You have to be progressive and look forward. Times are changing...change with them or get left behind.
You mean like when we heard we would suck because we wouldn't use the transfer portal? Or we would suck because we didn't care about NIL? One thing that hasn't and will never change...... This board will be negative toward our school and programs no matter what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT