ADVERTISEMENT

Spider Collective NIL

NIL bill signed - effective 7/1 .. no idea how this will play out. Sorry for the paywall.

was a UR representative even there? Sounds like all the other VA schools were there including Odom. This was in Richmond it would be pretty dumb of us not to participate. It's not just a state school thing. & lot of media coments from ADs too. maybe nobody wants to talk to cherubic John Hardt.

women athletes averywhere should be excited about this law. title ix will certainly be enforced once our career politicians get into it.

heck, our President believes WNBA players should make the same money as NBA players because "they do the same job".

????? There are 15 teams in the A-10.....so not only should we fund NIL above all of these, but we should compete dollar to dollar with the big schools??? And, even if this unrealistic take came true, why would guys who are offered by Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, etc. play in the A-10?

A bunch of 4 and 5 stars are hanging out at their AAU tourney. " Where are you guys going?". "Kansas". "Duke".. "Looking like Kentucky for me:...."UCONN or UNC for me....what about you?". "I'm going to Richmond".
Wow. If our long term goal is to win the A10 occasionally, this is a ridiculous waste of time. I am not satisfied with winning an A10 title with no postseason. I believe little 'ole Richmond can do a lot more. You can't shut yourself out because you're not there yet. Dream a little. Where did Gonzaga or even St. Mary's come from? They were Cinderellas once. But if your goal is to win conference championships, then that's pretty much all you're going to get on your good days. That doesn't work for me.

I totally missed this opportunity. Glad I went back and saw it. I've decided to win the lottery. How much should I win? 500M should work. I'll keep 5M for myself and live off the interest forever and donate the rest to the Spider Collective!
You don't need to win the lottery to donate to the NIL. They will take any amount. Instead of complaining and being part of the problem, be part of the solution and give and support our players.

Wow. If our long term goal is to win the A10 occasionally, this is a ridiculous waste of time. I am not satisfied with winning an A10 title with no postseason. I believe little 'ole Richmond can do a lot more. You can't shut yourself out because you're not there yet. Dream a little. Where did Gonzaga or even St. Mary's come from? They were Cinderellas once. But if your goal is to win conference championships, then that's pretty much all you're going to get on your good days. That doesn't work for me.
LOL..okay

You don't need to win the lottery to donate to the NIL. They will take any amount. Instead of complaining and being part of the problem, be part of the solution and give and support our players.
Give me the stated goals first. If it's what it's always been, Compete for conference championships, that ain't enough. We've typically been afraid to even state our goals as Win conference championships, only Compete. That's not a winning attitude. We have a chance to become bigger than we've ever been, albeit thru a corrupt money based system, but if we're content to state our goals as compete or even win the A10, we're gonna get passed by everyone.

I'm trying to decide if I'm ok with making deep runs in the NCAAs with MONEY as the driver using hired athletes with limited Spider Pride. Hard one to swallow. Not even sure if it's worth it, even if it means National Title contention.

Meanwhile, the rest of us seem to be timid about stating a GOAL higher than "competing for conference titles"

Give me the stated goals first. If it's what it's always been, Compete for conference championships, that ain't enough. We've typically been afraid to even state our goals as Win conference championships, only Compete. That's not a winning attitude. We have a chance to become bigger than we've ever been, albeit thru a corrupt money based system, but if we're content to state our goals as compete or even win the A10, we're gonna get passed by everyone.

I'm trying to decide if I'm ok with making deep runs in the NCAAs with MONEY as the driver using hired athletes with limited Spider Pride. Hard one to swallow. Not even sure if it's worth it, even if it means National Title contention.

Meanwhile, the rest of us seem to be timid about stating a GOAL higher than "competing for conference titles"
If you don't like the program stop posting on this board and focus your time on something you like, which would be a win win for all involved.

women athletes averywhere should be excited about this law. title ix will certainly be enforced once our career politicians get into it.

heck, our President believes WNBA players should make the same money as NBA players because "they do the same job".
Spiderman, I love you in many ways like being a faithful Spider fan.

I don't understand you in other ways like being a strong advocate for NIL even though it hurts Richmond.

But this one really makes me angry. Women are equals!

Last edited:

we talked about going to the NCAA much more as justification for moving to A10. That was only time I really remember it being anything other than "compete". And that was a huge bait and switch.

If you don't like the program stop posting on this board and focus your time on something you like, which would be a win win for all involved.
I love Richmond basketball which is why I want us to have bigger goals! Reaching for more seems to consistently get shot down here. It makes no sense to me.

Reactions: whampas
Spiderman, I love you in many ways like being a faithful Spider fan.

I don't understand you in other ways like being a strong advocate for NIL even though it hurts Ruchmond.

But this one really makes me angry. Women are equals!
NBA players get paid a boatload more than WNBA players because the NBA brings in almost infintely more revenue than the WNBA.

that's basic freaking economics. that's not sexism.

gender has nothing to do with it. it's revenue. and if the WNBA brought in more revenue, they'd be paid more. instead, their entire league exists thanks to the NBA subsidy.

Exactly....we don't need to hear that he is "thinking about being done with this" 20 times a day.

NBA players get paid a boatload more than WNBA players because the NBA brings in almost infintely more revenue than the WNBA.

that's basic freaking economics. that's not sexism.

gender has nothing to do with it. it's revenue. and if the WNBA brought in more revenue, they'd be paid more. instead, their entire league exists thanks to the NBA subsidy.

exactly. female models rightfully get paid a lot more than male models. & nobody complains about it.

Without having heard the context of the statement, I would say that believing that men and women should earn the same for doing the same thing is a logical statement. But in a sports context, obviously revenue does not grow on trees, so WNBA players are not entitled to earn what NBA players earn until the league is generating the same amount of revenue per team as the NBA does. It's up to fans and corporate sponsors to step up and make that happen if they like the product.

Y'all got this wrong about WNBA vs NBA salaries: The crux of it is equity in revenue sharing models, something that is not happening at the WNBA level. Also, NBA has a ~50-year head-start on revenue generation and expansion, plus media investment. The WNBA's upcoming media rights deals & CBA are up for negotiations in which we'll see a big shift based on consistent and increased viewership YoY.

Both things can be true: NBA brings in way more revenue than the WNBA but the WNBA's revenue sharing model is not equitable to the NBA.

are you saying the WNBA should be sharing in NBA revenue, or are you keeping both completely separate and saying the WNBA players aren't getting enough of the WNBA profits (there aren't any).

the level of discourse here is amazing, reaching new offseason peaks and valleys, often in the same posts. well done. (that's irony, for those who don't know Alanis)

every time I think I don't need to be on the board, I just can't stay away, either through hilarity, insanity or stupidity and I get pulled back in.

are you saying the WNBA should be sharing in NBA revenue, or are you keeping both completely separate and saying the WNBA players aren't getting enough of the WNBA profits (there aren't any).
WNBA players aren't getting enough WNBA profits which has hampered growth because of a lack of investment. The media rights revenue is particularly glaring over the past couple of seasons, but that stands to be overhauled.

the level of discourse here is amazing, reaching new offseason peaks and valleys, often in the same posts. well done. (that's irony, for those who don't know Alanis)

every time I think I don't need to be on the board, I just can't stay away, either through hilarity, insanity or stupidity and I get pulled back in.
I am amazed at the dichotomy of viewpoints on here sometimes. It comes across as:
What should each UR player expect?

“Each player should win at least 1 National Championship in their 4 years.”

“Each player should have at least one season over .500 in their 4 years.”

Again their should be some middle ground…

Caitlin Clark should help WNBA viewership. I’ve never watched a game before but I’ll tune in to a couple this season. And who knows, maybe I’ll go to a Sparks game when she’s in town. When Bueckers heads to the league I’ll be interested as well. WNBA is still in its early stages, they need to be able to capitalize off the star power of the college stars and not have the WNBA be where they go to fall into oblivion

WNBA players aren't getting enough WNBA profits which has hampered growth because of a lack of investment. The media rights revenue is particularly glaring over the past couple of seasons, but that stands to be overhauled.
Clark may or may not improve viewership of the WNBA. she's not the 1st great women's college player. but if viewership and attendance (and thus revenue) improve, WNBA players will make more money. it didn't happen overnight in the NBA either.

I believe the NBA still kicks in $15M per year to cover the loss in the WNBA, but maybe that's old data.

Clark will make a ton of money in endorsements. as she should, if companies recognize her value in that regard.

I believe in a free market. people can make whatever the market determines they're worth. my frustration in all this is Biden seemingly calling for pay equity in the WNBA vs the NBA. I want a guy running this country to be smarter than that.

E
Caitlin Clark should help WNBA viewership. I’ve never watched a game before but I’ll tune in to a couple this season. And who knows, maybe I’ll go to a Sparks game when she’s in town. When Bueckers heads to the league I’ll be interested as well. WNBA is still in its early stages, they need to be able to capitalize off the star power of the college stars and not have the WNBA be where they go to fall into oblivion
Early stages? The WNBA started in 1997.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Clark may or may not improve viewership of the WNBA. she's not the 1st great women's college player. but if viewership and attendance (and thus revenue) improve, WNBA players will make more money. it didn't happen overnight in the NBA either.

I believe the NBA still kicks in $15M per year to cover the loss in the WNBA, but maybe that's old data.

Clark will make a ton of money in endorsements. as she should, if companies recognize her value in that regard.

I believe in a free market. people can make whatever the market determines they're worth. my frustration in all this is Biden seemingly calling for pay equity in the WNBA vs the NBA. I want a guy running this country to be smarter than that.
I haven't heard Biden or anyone calling for pay equity. I don't think he and others are saying Clark should get the $55 million contract Wembanyama got.

I haven't heard Biden or anyone calling for pay equity. I don't think he and others are saying Clark should get the $55 million contract Wembanyama got.
he said she's not getting paid her fair share. not sure how else to read that, or how much research he did into what her fair share should be.

I am amazed at the dichotomy of viewpoints on here sometimes. It comes across as:
What should each UR player expect?

“Each player should win at least 1 National Championship in their 4 years.”

“Each player should have at least one season over .500 in their 4 years.”

Again their should be some middle ground…

I'm amazed at that summarization

E
Early stages? The WNBA started in 1997.
Well, it has been around awhile but it definitely is in its early stages. I’m just assuming you don’t know much about the WNBA since most don’t. I don’t watch it but have read a lot about it and it is pretty fascinating. The WNBA formed in 1997 with 8 teams. They expanded quickly and were at 16 teams by 2000.

Until 2002 the WNBA and its teams were owned by the NBA. The NBA sold off the teams in 02 due to the dot com bubble and some folded when no owners could be found.

From 2000-2009 the league added 10 franchised and had 6 franchises fold. Today they’re at 12 teams. That’s a decade where there was no consistency. It’s hard to plan ahead when teams are coming and going every season and there is no stability.

If you look back at the history of the 4 major sports leagues in this country you’ll see that not all had it easy in their first 27 years as an organization. You’ll also see a lot of team names you’ve never heard of during the opening 27 seasons of MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA (even more if you look at the defunct leagues). The WNBA fits that and also fought off a challenger league in the WBL.

The WNBA learned from all this and pumped the brakes on expanding. There’s a Golden State expansion team coming next year, but before that the most recent expansion team was Atlanta in 08.

Yes, they’ve been around since 97, but they haven’t been a well-oiled machine. They’re just now hitting their stride for “re-expanding” and taking a second crack at trying to get it right. The WNBA doesn’t really have much of a storied history. A few teams do, but right now they have the chance to enter their first ever period of being in the national limelight. The biggest star in men’s or women’s college hoops this year is joining. They nailed the draft coverage. Now they need to continue with the business plan and get the regular season promotion right.

This period right now could be lining up to bring the same boom to the WNBA that the expansion in 61 had for MLB. That completely kicked off the sport and was the first domino that changed everything about it for the better.

Sorry for the long post, I felt the need to provide context to a conversation where it was lacking.

ply, long post or short post, I will continue to disagree with you and say they are not in their early stages. Sure, they have had changes, but the name remains the WNBA, and they had their first season way back in 1997. And, you assume way too much.

ply, that was informative. I enjoyed your post. more I think than I'd enjoy watching 99% of women's basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: gospidersgo
ply, that was informative. I enjoyed your post. more I think than I'd enjoy watching 99% of women's basketball.
A lot of info there...no doubt. But, since he mentioned the 4 major sports leagues, I doubt anyone, Ply included, would have said they were in their early stages after year 27. I was just trying to let him know when the WNBA started.

yeah he should just disappear and go hide in the bunker for 3 months when things aren't going his way like you do
I'm really just trying to see where we are headed as a program and what our goals are so I can see if I align. I'm definitely not interested in aiming for conference titles and that's it. And I'm not interested if we end up in a lower tier of Div 1. And I'm struggling with hiring athletes to represent Richmond that are not loyal Spiders who are just chasing dollars. The loyalty aspect is a big deal to me, and that's what made college sports way more fun than professional sports.

Just trying to sort this out. Where else should I do that other than here and with school officials?

A lot of info there...no doubt. But, since he mentioned the 4 major sports leagues, I doubt anyone, Ply included, would have said they were in their early stages after year 27. I was just trying to let him know when the WNBA started.
We have the luxury of hindsight to look back at the 4 major sports leagues. All of them were in their early stages after year 27. They all were completely different after year 27 to what they are today. Here is what happened in year 27 in those leagues:

MLB: A rule change was implemented so that foul balls counted as strikes. Previously a foul ball did not affect the count. A foul ball on a 1-1 count would keep it a 1-1 count. Also the World Series was best of 9.

NFL: Illegal use of hands implemented. Not what you’re thinking, illegal to use your hands to block the receivers line of vision. This was the last season that a player still had to hold the ball on kickoff. A rule change so that when the QB is sacked the game clock stops until all receivers down field get back to the line of scrimmage. The last year that refs used horns instead of whistles. The list goes on.

NBA: Still 6 years until the 3 point line was added. Still in competition with the ABA. Hand checking still allowed. Shot clock still reset if the ball hit the backboard. Before the “zone killer” rules of the early 80s.

NHL: The league had 6 teams. I’ll admit I’m not a NHL historian, but these guys weren’t wearing helmets and just look what the goalies wore. This was some real gnarly stuff.

Reactions: WCUR11
was a UR representative even there? Sounds like all the other VA schools were there including Odom. This was in Richmond it would be pretty dumb of us not to participate. It's not just a state school thing. & lot of media coments from ADs too. maybe nobody wants to talk to cherubic John Hardt.
There was a regatta today.

Well, sure, now you can look back and maybe mention how much those sports changed, but I am talking in year 28 for them and I think you maybe could have used different wording other than "early stages". Like I said, I was only trying to let you know when the WNBA started since you said that. And, do you see the WNBA being that different way down the road than they are now? No worries, ply, but we will definitely have to disagree on this one. I don't think I can think of anything that started in 1997 as being in its early stages right now. That is just not what early stages means or describes.

Whatever ply. I edited the above post to again say all I was trying to do before you gave everyone all these history lessons ( that have nothing to do with the WNBA being in its early stages because they had the NBA to use as a tool when they formed..the other 4 sports did not have something so similar to use as a tool) was tell you when the WNBA started because I seriously doubt you would have said they are in their early stages if you knew it was 1997.

The real VT4700 is back. As argumentative as ever. Picking fights wherever possible.
LOL. Yep....I replied to ply's initial post by saying the WNBA started in 1997. Nothing more, nothing less. Ply responded with a long post and also threw in that post that I must not know much about the WNBA. But, sure I am the one picking fights. And, why are you still here? Weren't you done with all of this weeks ago? Oh, that's right...you are still trying to decide". LOL. The suspense is killing us!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Spiders4ever
Well, sure, now you can look back and maybe mention how much those sports changed, but I am talking in year 28 for them and I think you maybe could have used different wording other than "early stages". Like I said, I was only trying to let you know when the WNBA started since you said that. And, do you see the WNBA being that different way down the road than they are now? No worries, ply, but we will definitely have to disagree on this one. I don't think I can think of anything that started in 1997 as being in its early stages right now. That is just not what early stages means or describes.

So going to go a bit off topic with this. I do initially enjoy discussing things with you and hearing a different viewpoint. You always have an opinion, and that can be a really fun person to debate and discuss with. What makes it frustrating for me is that when presented with a disagreeable opinion you dig your heels in and refuse to give an inch. So instead of having what could be a fun conversation we never get to make it past the first bullet point. I’m not blameless either, I re-engaged on it, but now we’re so far off the reservation that we’ve arrived at Ulla’s Ranch.

I was this way too my first couple years on the board and didn’t make many friends doing it. Looking back I was incredibly exhausting and picked any and every fight before having a life experience that changed my way of thinking.

Like this, when you said I shouldn’t assume things that may mean you do know about the history of the WNBA and maybe watch it. Just taking a guess here. That would be fun as hell to talk about. But we never got to scratch the surface on that because I said early stages and now we’re stuck going back and forth or something that doesn’t even matter. Again, it takes two to tango and I’m just as involved in steering us off course.

Professor Dolan was my MicroEconomic Theory teacher at UR and he always said “you have to see the forest through the trees”. I feel like we’re stuck on tree #1 on the edge of the Amazon.

Reactions: WCUR11 and VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT