ADVERTISEMENT

Spider Collective NIL

It is very important that the school step in and allocate some of the endowment towards NIL when the law is signed. It is the only way a smaller school like ours with fewer alumni can be competitive. We simply do not have a large enough alumni base to gather the necessary funds compared with much bigger schools. If the school does not decide that athletics is important, we will quietly slip into the sunset. This seems like an essential time to write letters, email, and call the president and staff to voice our concerns.
I'm told our NIL is doing quite well compared to our A10 partners.

I'll buy a ticket for Homecoming football and continue to give annually to WBB and baseball for program and facility enhancement.

Not one dime to NIL. Players will take thousands and transfer on a whim; a batting cage or pitching machine won't.

Other's mileage may vary, of course.

Mr. Naive here. Maybe already asked an answered. But I the athlete had to do something like TV commercials
or make special appearances.
It sounds like reading this, NIL is just another name for salary.

I think technically they are supposed to, but it's easy enough to work around.

"Hey kid, here's the $250,000 we promised you in exchange for posting about our company a few times on Instagram."

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Yeah, the NIL stuff is crap, but if we want to be relevant, we have to play along.

The 2nd half of your statement sounds like a quitters attitude. I thought we could agree on a sports messageboard, we would want to promote and grow our sports program. If we are looking to go "fcs" basketball, what a waste.
It just like the arms race there was (and for some still is) to have a huge practice facility, even if you don't need one. UR probably didn't really need one - we don't have any other sports that use our gym, like volleyball - or we don't have an arena that is used by the community for concerts or events. So they should be able to use their own gym whenever they want. But - everyone else was building a practice facility - so you have to keep up.

Same with NIL - everyone is going to have a collective and NIL funds, so you must have them to stay relevant.

Reactions: urfan1
It really feels like it is nearly impossible to keep up without big support from the university itself. I really hope we step up. We have the money, but we have to commit. I don't think it'll be enough long-term with just the Spider Collective without big-time university level commitment.

the proposed law for schools to pay NIL will certainly add Title IX to the mix. gotta keep it even. whether it should be even or not.

NIL in theory SHOULD allow a kid to make money for whatever reason. the market deems his/her worth. if can be because a guy is great at basketball and will add wins, maybe adding eyes to the program. it can be because a girl gymnast is pretty and has 6 billion followers. whatever, the kid can make all they can. capitalism at it's finest. capitalism doesn't require equality.

Probably not. But after earning 15M minimum while at Richmond, with the option to earn 500K more per year for basically as long as he wants, you'd like to think maybe he'd like to give back to the school and at the same time help his chances at making some NCAA runs and leaving a little legacy to his name.
I can just imagine my company calling me in for my next contract and discussing how much they've paid me over the past 20 years so I should take less than my value for the good of the company, lol.

crazy to me that you think that way.

Reactions: VT4700
No way Mooney gives up his salary or returns any money. Nor should he.

Now - if he wants to make a donation to the NIL (if he is allowed, not even sure) - that would be fine. Lets say he gives them 50K or 100K each year to show his support and in turn, it also could support his team and help - so be it. No different than a coach giving a donation back to the school. But that should be up to him. He shouldn't have to fund his own team or school, especially when that school has a $3 billion endowment.

I can just imagine my company calling me in for my next contract and discussing how much they've paid me over the past 20 years so I should take less than my value for the good of the company, lol.

It is called an incentive based contract which is common. They say, hey we are going to pay you X, but if you achieve this goal, than we will pay you X+Y. So, the employee is betting on themselves to achieve their goals and get the increased compensation.

We've paid Mooney generational wealth. Heaven forbid a 1% er ever given up a portion of their extreme wealth to help the company or in this case student athletes, who essentially are making him that wealthy in the first place.

Yeah, you are I wouldn't give up a portion of our salaries but we are not part of the uber rich upper class either.

Reactions: mr.spider
Moon's agent is in the national agent's hall of fame
That guy never have to buy a drink at their annual conference. It bet he tells that story over and over again.

My client hasn't been to an NCAA tournament in a decade, no one else is even remotely interested in him, and so I walk into his AD's office and says its time to talk extension and raise. You know you can't get a high school kid to commit these days unless they see the coach is fully under contract for their entire career and don't forget about redshirting, so add an extra year on for that. And the AD bought it, hook, line, and sinker.

That guy never have to buy a drink at their annual conference. It bet he tells that story over and over again.

My client hasn't been to an NCAA tournament in a decade, no one else is even remotely interested in him, and so I walk into his AD's office and says its time to talk extension and raise. You know you can't get a high school kid to commit these days unless they see the coach is fully under contract for their entire career and don't forget about redshirting, so add an extra year on for that. And the AD bought it, hook, line, and sinker.
You bring up a good point though - those days of being fully under contract are now over because of transfer portal. You getting a kid for at most 2 years, so really - rolling 2 year deal might be all you need as most transfers will be 1-2 year players.

Reactions: mr.spider

Well, in his case, he's taken more than his value. AND at this point, if he's been halfway prudent with his money, his family should be set for multiple generations. So maybe, just maybe there's something else that might be as important as money at this point.

Well, in his case, he's taken more than his value. AND at this point, if he's been halfway prudent with his money, his family should be set for multiple generations. So maybe, just maybe there's something else that might be as important as money at this point.
fans don't get to retroactively determine value. his value has been set at every negotiation. UR's ADs have agreed to that value.

and it's not up to a coach to fund NIL. I'm actually very sure that's not allowed, just as a school can't fund NIL at this point.

fans don't get to retroactively determine value. his value has been set at every negotiation. UR's ADs have agreed to that value.

and it's not up to a coach to fund NIL. I'm actually very sure that's not allowed, just as a school can't fund NIL at this point.
No, of course, we don't, but isn't a message board for discussing stuff, even things that will never happen.

I just wish we had a school, coach, players, fans that wanted high level success badly. Even badly enough to make a personal sacrifice - like giving back after stealing $15M+ with limited success. It's time to give back and have some real success - actually make some NCAA runs. Stop being satisfied that little 'ole Richmond won a conference title without an NCAA appearance. Certainly not multi-million dollar worthy.

No, of course, we don't, but isn't a message board for discussing stuff, even things that will never happen.

I just wish we had a school, coach, players, fans that wanted high level success badly. Even badly enough to make a personal sacrifice - like giving back after stealing $15M+ with limited success. It's time to give back and have some real success - actually make some NCAA runs. Stop being satisfied that little 'ole Richmond won a conference title without an NCAA appearance. Certainly not multi-million dollar worthy.
Stealing 🙄

I'm certainly no Mooney apologist but that's silly

Back to the NIL and spider collective - does anyone know if the collective (or any collective out there) will produce an annual report or summary to show high level statistics such as - number of donors, amount raised, amount disbersed, etc.

I guess on one side - it could be helpful if you have a successful Collective group - gives you the opportunity to brag and show everyone what you got and how you use it. But on the flip side, if your Collective is not strong - this will show it and maybe scare people away.

I'm sure nobody wants to reveal that. It would only give your competitors information to help them establish goals for their own programs.

Bottom line is we don't have enough commitment to be a really serious program. We have everything in place to be at the top tier, be ranked consistently, and contend for titles (real National Titles and Final Fours, not A10 titles).

But we are content as a school, as an athletic department, as a fan-base to stay exactly where we are - compete but not necessarily win. This season says it all - even on our basketball message board, it's obvious that we are satisfied winning an A10 title and nothing more. There is so much more within reach, and we simply don't want it enough. This is a chance to rise to the top of college basketball OR sink to Div 1B. It appears so many of you are ok with being "mid-majors" aka Div 1B. It doesn't have to be that way. If the fans don't care, though, why would the university put much effort in other than to be good enough.

I think it’s optimistic to say we have all of the characteristics to be a regular national championship contender, that pool is inhabited by a pretty small group of programs.

There are plenty of folks here who aspire for UR bball to be more though. Not sure where you’re getting that people don’t care.

I think it’s optimistic to say we have all of the characteristics to be a regular national championship contender, that pool is inhabited by a pretty small group of programs.

There are plenty of folks here who aspire for UR bball to be more though. Not sure where you’re getting that people don’t care.
Because folks on here don't want Mooney to give back or be accountable, don't want the university to fund the NIL, are satisfied with a season where we miss the NCAAs per the poll on here, are ok with players leaving for "bigger" pastures, and just accept us as a mid-level program with no upward potential.

Seems like that's the general vibe on here, not everyone, but most. That's really all I need to know. If we're ok with "2nd place", I need to let this go. I'm frustrated by losing, but what I can't accept is not aiming for the best.

Because folks on here don't want Mooney to give back or be accountable, don't want the university to fund the NIL, are satisfied with a season where we miss the NCAAs per the poll on here, are ok with players leaving for "bigger" pastures, and just accept us as a mid-level program with no upward potential.

Seems like that's the general vibe on here, not everyone, but most. That's really all I need to know. If we're ok with "2nd place", I need to let this go. I'm frustrated by losing, but what I can't accept is not aiming for the best.
You’re painting with a pretty broad brush, that’s a bit melodramatic.

Lots of commentary on this board about accountability and being a more consistent postseason performer. Board isn’t the issue, and you’ll always have fans with a wide array of expectations. Yours just happen to be at the very top of what’s possible and quite a bit above what’s likely for about 95% of D1 programs.

You’re painting with a pretty broad brush, that’s a bit melodramatic.

Lots of commentary on this board about accountability and being a more consistent postseason performer. Board isn’t the issue, and you’ll always have fans with a wide array of expectations. Yours just happen to be at the very top of what’s possible and quite a bit above what’s likely for about 95% of D1 programs.
Well I donate to the NIL fund every month.

Because folks on here don't want Mooney to give back or be accountable, don't want the university to fund the NIL, ... are ok with players leaving for "bigger" pastures ...
don't let rules get in the way, lol.

coaches aren't allowed to fund NIL.
universities aren't allowed to fund NIL.

as it stands, NIL is booster driven. you want us at the top, make a ton of money and fund a larger NIL program.
every school in the nation is trying to raise money. it's an arms race. and every school not at the top of that arms race is complaining that someone else has more.

we have some wealthy donors. we can ask PQ and friends to do a lot. but we're no where near the top in NIL. there are a lot of big schools with a lot to offer. we don't have that depth of alumni base.

Reactions: urfan1
don't let rules get in the way, lol.

coaches aren't allowed to fund NIL.
universities aren't allowed to fund NIL.

as it stands, NIL is booster driven. you want us at the top, make a ton of money and fund a larger NIL program.
every school in the nation is trying to raise money. it's an arms race. and every school not at the top of that arms race is complaining that someone else has more.

we have some wealthy donors. we can ask PQ and friends to do a lot. but we're no where near the top in NIL. there are a lot of big schools with a lot to offer. we don't have that depth of alumni base.
Exactly. The whole thing is a disaster. Coaches shouldn't be funding it. Universities shouldn't be funding it. No one should be funding it. College is about education. STUDENT-Athletes get rewarded a scholarship for playing a sport while attending school. It gives them exposure for a potential career in basketball or other sports. Just like every other student, they are positioning themselves for a paying career following college, along with getting an education for a different career. Why is that not enough?

As far as Richmond, we used to have a chance at high level success, deep runs in the NCAA, even Final Four runs. We haven't achieved that deep a run, but the potential was there. We have a lot of great benefits to our school...great education, beautiful campus, family culture, beautiful facilities...a lot in which to be proud. These were all selling points for recruits, reasons to be proud to be a Spider. I want our players to feel that pride, but it becomes secondary with a dollar bill waived in front of them. It takes so much away from college sports. And as a small school without as many alumni to contribute dollars, it nearly eliminates our chance at high level success (and that doesn't mean just winning an A10 title).

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT