ADVERTISEMENT

Spider Collective NIL

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
Anyone have any information on the Spider Collective NIL and what is has been up to? How much money have they raised? How much have they given out, etc.

Or is this still a secret Fight Club situation where the first rule of Spider NIL is not to talk about Spider NIL. Just thinking with the transfer portal being open and trying to get guys, this is where NIL money could really have an impact IF the school wanted to go that direction.

Call up PQ and offer a substantial donation, he'll probably give you the deets.

Reactions: urfan1
Can't imagine we are paying any single player more than $25k, if that. Someone can tell me I'm wrong if so.

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Anyone have any information on the Spider Collective NIL and what is has been up to? How much money have they raised? How much have they given out, etc.

Or is this still a secret Fight Club situation where the first rule of Spider NIL is not to talk about Spider NIL. Just thinking with the transfer portal being open and trying to get guys, this is where NIL money could really have an impact IF the school wanted to go that direction.
The NIL program is going strong. Greg Bond and Paul Q have done a terrific job of recruiting new members. They just added 2 new members this week and are up to approximately 25 that are donating $10,000 or more. All donations help and you can contribute at this website: https://spidersnil.com/

Reactions: mr.spider
Wow, that is pretty impressive numbers above. I think, again I think I did see that one of the priorities for our NIL, or focus is on retention? Thought I saw that in one of the JOC articles or Mooney interviews or maybe on here? If that is true, have to imagine that Dji was offered an incentive to stay. Not asking for confirmation, but again I feel like that was stated in one of the articles or discussions.

See, you shouldn't be selling your memory short.

Mooney said in June that the collective strategy, as he projected it, involves “everyone on the team” gaining access to NIL opportunities. Thursday he said, “We want it to be something where players who stay in the program and contribute more and more to the Spiders have greater opportunities within the NIL framework.”

Its a catch 22 really. With the NIL so silent in the background, hard to tell how much they have raised and if they are really giving any substantial amounts out to make an impact, especially in recruiting or transfer portal. On the flip side, if you make it public or "leak" information on what players are given or being offered, it could cause resentment by the lesser players while at the same time attracting more players who now see - UR is paying there players well.

I find it hard to believe we are giving more than 25K to any one player at this time, but have nothing to back that up - just my general sense of the situation. I think UR, and based on Mooney's quotes - seem more willing to spread the wealth and provide smaller, equal amounts to the entire team - then try to load up on 2-4 main players and give them the large NIL chunks.

Plus remember the other thing with this NIL money, it has to be replenished every year because you should be spending it every year or coming pretty close to using it all. i.e. - if you raise a million dollars this year, and you give out 900k of it to Spider Student-Athletes, you need to go back to those donors and get the same commitments, if not more. These are short-term investments. Not long term interest bearing accounts like our endowment.

Its a catch 22 really. With the NIL so silent in the background, hard to tell how much they have raised and if they are really giving any substantial amounts out to make an impact, especially in recruiting or transfer portal. On the flip side, if you make it public or "leak" information on what players are given or being offered, it could cause resentment by the lesser players while at the same time attracting more players who now see - UR is paying there players well.

I find it hard to believe we are giving more than 25K to any one player at this time, but have nothing to back that up - just my general sense of the situation. I think UR, and based on Mooney's quotes - seem more willing to spread the wealth and provide smaller, equal amounts to the entire team - then try to load up on 2-4 main players and give them the large NIL chunks.

Plus remember the other thing with this NIL money, it has to be replenished every year because you should be spending it every year or coming pretty close to using it all. i.e. - if you raise a million dollars this year, and you give out 900k of it to Spider Student-Athletes, you need to go back to those donors and get the same commitments, if not more. These are short-term investments. Not long term interest bearing accounts like our endowment.
How is NIL silent? There have been many post on this board about donating to the program.

Relative to your last paragraph, I think a very high percent of NIL donors will give again next year. The NIL is run by alumni and they do a great job engaging with the members of the NIL Collective..

How is NIL silent? There have been many post on this board about donating to the program.

Relative to your last paragraph, I think a very high percent of NIL donors will give again next year. The NIL is run by alumni and they do a great job engaging with the members of the NIL Collective..
Silent in terms of we no one oustide of the NIL club has any idea how much money has been raised, who has received money, how much, etc. Which to one of my points - if your looking to transfer to UR, and NIL money is a factor - you may not even know one exists as no noise has been made about what they do.

Meanwhile - RTD has article today on VCU Rams basketball and NIL. So they are at least trying to put the word out their kids get money, come here. Which unfortunately - like it or hate it - is the name of the game these days in college basketball IF you want compete with the big boys.

Trap, every player on every team, and every kid in the portal, and every HS kid being recruited knows which teams/conferences have NIL money available. nobody rules out UR thinking we don't have NIL money.

I agree it's surprising that enough money gets raised every year. but it does. pretty sure your $25k guess would not be competitive, even at the A10 level, for a good portal recruit.

You think anyone in the A10 is getting near 500K? Maybe Holmes at Dayton, and maybe they are trying to give him more to stick around another year?

No idea how accurate this, but sdad linked this a while back.

Not UR-specific, of course, but schools from Tier 2 conferences like the A-10 estimated to have total hoops NIL in the $200k–$1.25m range with the median starter getting around $50k but stars pushing to the $300k range.

Isn't this one area we should have an advantage? We have always had the excuse of being the smallest school, high academics, etc. compared to our peers in the A10 - but I have to imagine we have the largest or close to largest endowment in the A10. And I am not saying the endowment is used for NIL funding, but that has to be some measurement of the donation and giving habits of your alumni if you have a 3 billion endowment. So shouldn't we be able to translate some of those donors to NIL and get a big NIL fund as well? And therefore be able to outspend our peers in the A10 and BUY the players. I know that would take a major philosophical change in our administration to put Athletics as a priority and direct some donors to give to the NIL and also give Athletics and Collective to spend as they wish. Both of which I don't see the school wanting to do. I am willing to bet we spend just enough to compete and be in the middle of the A10 when it comes to spending on NIL.

the school has nothing to say about how much NIL is spent. our problem is we have fewer deep pocket alumni than some schools. but if PQ and friends wanted to fund the NIL with $100 million, the school can't and won't stop them.

Reactions: urfan1
the school has nothing to say about how much NIL is spent. our problem is we have fewer deep pocket alumni than some schools. but if PQ and friends wanted to fund the NIL with $100 million, the school can't and won't stop them.

"Unofficially" nothing to say. In reality they do. regardless officially the school and all VA schools will be directly involved in NIL compensation. The new law is being signed. It would have already been signed by Governor but it was set to go into effect in November, Youngkin sent it back to General Assembly to remove the effective date. The changes will take effect immediately. So it's coming...like any day.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
"Unofficially" nothing to say. In reality they do.
not sure what you mean. Trap was implying that our school administration would limit how much our NIL spends on players. that's not the administration's call. if donors want to give to an NIL to improve a team, the school can't and won't stop them.

not sure what you mean. Trap was implying that our school administration would limit how much our NIL spends on players. that's not the administration's call. if donors want to give to an NIL to improve a team, the school can't and won't stop them.

I believe the school is involved with how those "NIL" funds are distributed. Whether they admit it or not. They're telling the Collective how to spend it to a certain degree. I agree they are not restricting the $ raised, they probably want as much $ raised as possible.

Those lines will be less blurred soon.

I believe the school is involved with how those "NIL" funds are distributed. Whether they admit it or not. They're telling the Collective how to spend it to a certain degree. I agree they are not restricting the $ raised, they probably want as much $ raised as possible.

who would you think is involved? Hardt? Hallock?

Of course they have to be involved. Our coaches are recruiting kids and have to believe one of the first questions has to be how much NIL am I going to get? Coach has to have an answer to that question.

The Moon man and his coaching staff.

Hardt is a nincompoop.
of course Mooney and staff. that's not what I consider UR administration.
agreed our coaches are 100% part of the equation. they're the ones recruiting.
but they certainly aren't going to limit what we spend.

of course Mooney and staff. that's not what I consider UR administration.
agreed our coaches are 100% part of the equation. they're the ones recruiting.
but they certainly aren't going to limit what we spend.

Ok we're on same page then. I never said administration. I think u said that was Trap. U said the school wasn't involved, I responded to that....to me school = school employees & they r involved, i.e. coaching staff.

But shortly the actual "school" will be directly involved, because the $ can come from them. It will be still be managed by the coaches tho, they r the ones responsible for recruitment and retention.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Ok we're on same page then. I never said administration. I think u said that was Trap. U said the school wasn't involved, I responded to that....to me school = school employees & they r involved, i.e. coaching staff.

But shortly the actual "school" will be directly involved, because the $ can come from them. It will be still be managed by the coaches tho, they r the ones responsible for recruitment and retention.
we're on the same page. Trap said it would take a major philosophical change in our administration to put Athletics as a priority. athletics is always a priority for our athletic department. I assumed he was talking about a higher level than our athletic department.

So once the “school” (I’ll continue to use these pointless quotes) is involved following whatever Va is about to pass, can UR then dip into the endowment and carve a niche into it for NIL funds? Theoretically, if we spent big money and made a F4 run that could be the justification in publicity and advertising alone if you think of NIL as a long term marketing play.

So once the “school” (I’ll continue to use these pointless quotes) is involved following whatever Va is about to pass, can UR then dip into the endowment and carve a niche into it for NIL funds? Theoretically, if we spent big money and made a F4 run that could be the justification in publicity and advertising alone if you think of NIL as a long term marketing play.
I'd be in favor with non-earmarked endowment money. but I agree with Trap that it's doubtful our higher-ups would prioritize sports that way.

Seems odd not to, esp. when it’s only basketball that they have to prioritize this way. One look at Duke should be all anyone needs to show what a top tier basketball program can do to elevate a well thought of academic school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT