ADVERTISEMENT

Schertz heading to SLU

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
No surprise here, were just waiting for Indiana State's season to end (which was heartbreaking...up 77–70 in the NIT final with three minutes to go and went scoreless the rest of the way). ~$2 million per year.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
I could see a scenario in which the A10 gets bolstered in short order. I think this guy will win at SLU. If the Bronny to Duq rumors come to fruition, LeBron will build a super team in short order. Dayton keep plugging away and VCU with Odom will be good, no question.

In the transfer portal area - he could take whole team with him, and would not be surprised if it happens. His starting 5 is all underclassmen - Juniors and Sophs - so If he can bring 3-4 of them along with him, especially Avila - he is off to a good start.

This is probably one slight downside for coaches moving to new jobs as I always thought before, when taking over a new job - you had 2-3 years to get your players in there, set your system, etc. before expectations took effect. BUT now - with the portal and ability to take players with you and pick up players from anywhere - I think fans and administration will lose that patience and think - you should be winning right away. You don't need to wait for your guys to get here, they can come with you or you can poach them from other schools - go get them and win now. And if not - be gone in 3 years.

Reactions: urfan1
A number of Indiana State guys have hit the portal this morning. No Avila yet.

Edit: Durando says all five starters intend to enter the portal, and all but Avila have done so at this point.

Last edited:
This is probably one slight downside for coaches moving to new jobs as I always thought before, when taking over a new job - you had 2-3 years to get your players in there, set your system, etc. before expectations took effect. BUT now - with the portal and ability to take players with you and pick up players from anywhere - I think fans and administration will lose that patience and think - you should be winning right away. You don't need to wait for your guys to get here, they can come with you or you can poach them from other schools - go get them and win now. And if not - be gone in 3 years.

And this is a valid argument for ADs to get smarter on contracts. No reason to extend out deals far esp at school like Richmond where your current coach isn’t likely to move or in high demand. For hiring brand new coaches u give a little more length but even that seems to be trending a bit down. Or for the truly elite coaches performing consistently well who will be hired up. It will be interesting to see if UR negotiates against ourselves again. I guess we kinda know that answer based on past precedent but the dynamics have certainly changed.

Reactions: Stork3 and urfan1
Not yet in the portal, but expected to enter in the next few days.

being told by who I wonder? seems very strange for a 3rd party to be projecting NIL for a guy not in the portal. isn't that tampering of some sort?

being told by who I wonder? seems very strange for a 3rd party to be projecting NIL for a guy not in the portal. isn't that tampering of some sort?

his agent. Most of these guys have agencies representing them now.

Avila is listed as do not contact...likely means he knows where he's going, and I think that makes SLU a real favorite here unless he already has worked out some NIL deals with a high-major.

Tyler Burton was a DNC when he entered the portal, and it was pretty apparent he was all in on Villanova before he officially entered.

Schools can't contact, but where is that Spider Collective NIL? Reach out to him - offer him 750K to come to UR. Lets make a splash or at least make an effort.

The NIL is like schools poaching coaches. Everyone thinks - our coach won't leave, he will stay. He knows a good thing, but the majority of these moves come down to money. And no - your not going to win every player or coach over with a big time salary or NIL offer, but you that NIL offer will likely get your foot in the door and maybe get you a meeting, get the kid to visit campus to take a look, etc. Then from there - you at least got a chance.

Think of yourself today in your day to day job. You work 9-5, make a good salary and are perfectly happy where you are. But then the phone rings, and its a competitor company who says they have an opening - and they offer to double salary - how many people are just hanging up the phone and saying "No Thanks" and not considering it at all. Probably a few. And how many upon hearing that intro - double your salary, begin to at least entertain the idea, maybe go on an interview, run the numbers, research the company, talk to friends who work there, etc. Same with these kids - make them a big offer, get them interested, get them to at least talk to you and maybe come visit - and from there - you got a shot to land them. A shot to land someone otherwise may have never considered your school in the first place.

One thing I haven't seen being really talked much is players who re-enter the portal for a second year. I think it worked out for us (King, if I recall correctly, but his first transfer may have been pre-portal). But in general I would think we would be a little bit hesitant about that because (a) the player may leave after just a year with us and (b) to me, it seems to over-emphasize "athlete" at the expense of "student." I know a lot of players in general are ok with that but I wouldn't think our institution's philosophy would shift that quickly, if at all.

One thing I haven't seen being really talked much is players who re-enter the portal for a second year. I think it worked out for us (King, if I recall correctly, but his first transfer may have been pre-portal). But in general I would think we would be a little bit hesitant about that because (a) the player may leave after just a year with us and (b) to me, it seems to over-emphasize "athlete" at the expense of "student." I know a lot of players in general are ok with that but I wouldn't think our institution's philosophy would shift that quickly, if at all.
As just posted on another thread - think we are doing a good job screening out the players that are all about themselves. Agree, guys going for third school in three years is likely an avoid spot. As much money that is being spent to just make the NIT buy some of these P6, I do think it will put more pressure on the coaches to produce and in turn be more selective. I saw that Calipari is going to have something like a $5 million NIL budget at Arkansas. Will be interesting because he is such in the mode of just grabbing guys that will be high picks but unable to form a winning team (and i mean he probably has guys rated WAY higher than a Uconn) but cant mold them. So you are going to have 5 college millionaires out there, and they are going to listen to coach Cal? Right.

As just posted on another thread - think we are doing a good job screening out the players that are all about themselves. Agree, guys going for third school in three years is likely an avoid spot. As much money that is being spent to just make the NIT buy some of these P6, I do think it will put more pressure on the coaches to produce and in turn be more selective. I saw that Calipari is going to have something like a $5 million NIL budget at Arkansas. Will be interesting because he is such in the mode of just grabbing guys that will be high picks but unable to form a winning team (and i mean he probably has guys rated WAY higher than a Uconn) but cant mold them. So you are going to have 5 college millionaires out there, and they are going to listen to coach Cal? Right.
I think NIL helps you get older.
Cal is usually working with a bunch of highly ranked 19 year olds. the best of them go pro before they get old.
now he can get some 22+ year olds mixed in. those are men. it makes a difference.

I think NIL helps you get older.
Cal is usually working with a bunch of highly ranked 19 year olds. the best of them go pro before they get old.
now he can get some 22+ year olds mixed in. those are men. it makes a difference.
Cal really has not accepted the portal yet. At Kentucky - he was still trying to win with the best freshman. But now at Arkansas - especially this coming year, he might have to work the portal more and maybe change his philosophy. And it might work better for him because every kid knows - if you want to go to the NBA - the best place to do it was Kentucky with Cal. Now it might be Cal at Arkansas. I just saw their 6th man is entering the draft, Dillingham, and he is projected as a top 10 pick in the draft. So you don't even need to start on Cal teams to be a lottery pick. Frosh and transfers will go for that. Will it work? Some years it will, others it will not. But Cal has always been honest about that. He says he doesn't care about winning NCAA titles. He cares about getting his kids to the NBA and getting them set for life. And the NCAA wins are secondary to that. And I believe him. His legacy is already set, his bank account is already full. If his idea of coaching is making sure his players are set for their next stage, then so be it. And he does a good job as a high amount of his kids get drafted.

Problem for him is if he recruits 5 top 100 players each year, those guys have to get big minutes for the next batch of top 100 guys to believe in the model and sign. Bringing in older guys who take those minutes away won’t work in his recruiting system (at least in the UK model.) Kellen Grady from Davidson grad transferred there a few years back after an all-A10 season, didn’t really work out for anyone.

Agree that a mix of transfers and recruits is the way to go, don’t know if Cal can adapt to that. His recruiting pitch has been “pro prep” for decades now.

jeez.
I guess if you hire a representative, that would be their job. wonder how many kids have hired representatives. I assume that's only for the highest of high major NIL kids.

jeez.
I guess if you hire a representative, that would be their job. wonder how many kids have hired representatives. I assume that's only for the highest of high major NIL kids.

idk exactly but I think it's majority for d1. look at john camden. I think there was a tweet about him & our interest. he had representation and has barely played in 3 years.

I know a well regarded agent. not for players. but coaches. he talks to coaches all the time. the coaches now recruit the agencies more than the players. The context was power conference football. But we're not far away from that in hoops too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT