ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond Radio

Anilspider

Rookie
May 13, 2005
Does anyone know why Big Al wasn't on the air this morning? I don't care for these national ESPN hacks who wouldn't know Richmond Virginia from Ocelot, Iowa. Also, what happened to The Sports King?

Does anyone know why Big Al wasn't on the air this morning? I don't care for these national ESPN hacks who wouldn't know Richmond Virginia from Ocelot, Iowa. Also, what happened to The Sports King?
Big Al disappears from time to time.

Bob said today that Al's show is leaving the morning time slot and moving to Bob's current time slot from 3-4 starting tomorrow. Bob is not going away but will be moving to a different time, from the sounds of it. Other changes are coming but he couldn't say what they are.

Bob said today that Al's show is leaving the morning time slot and moving to Bob's current time slot from 3-4 starting tomorrow. Bob is not going away but will be moving to a different time, from the sounds of it. Other changes are coming but he couldn't say what they are.
Big Al is Big Al. His show is 50% commercials. I only listen when the Sunshine Boys are on, and even they have gotten silly lately.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Al is much better at owning a restaurant and conversing with patrons than he is at hosting a sports radio show.

Al is the Dean of sports radio in Richmond. Show some respect! While I can't disagree with everything said here, he should be appreciated for covering local teams. Not even the other local guys will do that unless it's Vcu basketball. The alternative during his time slot is great if you're a Philly transplant. And I for one enjoy the campy format and disregard for politically correct tropes other shows are always force feeding audiences.

He does cover local teams. It’s unfortunately just really bad radio.

Wes is a terrible philly homer but at least that guy goes out and gets some interesting guests, so I’ll give him props for that.

Al is the Dean of sports radio in Richmond. Show some respect! While I can't disagree with everything said here, he should be appreciated for covering local teams. Not even the other local guys will do that unless it's Vcu basketball. The alternative during his time slot is great if you're a Philly transplant. And I for one enjoy the campy format and disregard for politically correct tropes other shows are always force feeding audiences.

25 years in the market. The big Hoss.

Al actually has a lot in common with Mooney: Both are nice guys, have been around forever and sort of just given lots of leash to do their thing, despite so-so results. Though I don't think Al is making $13 million.

Reactions: PASpider and ur2K
You all know my “favorite” radio personality on Richmond Radio from Delaware.

“No question about that, No question about that, No question about that!!!” Right Broseph, Right Broseph, Right Broseph.

He does cover local teams. It’s unfortunately just really bad radio.

Wes is a terrible philly homer but at least that guy goes out and gets some interesting guests, so I’ll give him props for that.
Big Al was probably cutting edge sports radio 20 years ago, but it has passed him by. His probably main demographic he appeals to is the over 65 crowd now because of it.

He's fine if you enjoy him reading the paper, talking about the paper, pimping his restaurant, and then having the same local callers, call day and day out.

Burton's show is almost never live. I would say he prerecords about 70% of his stuff. He also repeats segments during the day. I have heard him run one segment early and the exact same segment 2 hours later.

And 49% Al opening up the RTD sports section and reading the box scores from the day before. He's a very likable guy but it's terrible radio.

Though he's not local, I so miss Czaban.
The Czab is from VA - good guy. I miss his show.

Burton's show is almost never live. I would say he prerecords about 70% of his stuff. He also repeats segments during the day. I have heard him run one segment early and the exact same segment 2 hours later.
Completely false. The entire show is live, with the exception of some taped interviews on occasion. He occasionally replays big interviews.

Burton is the only guy that talks knowledgeably about local sports. Big Al reads the newspaper and McElroy tries to go national and sprinkles in VCU (since they pay him too) and his buddy from tech.

Who cares. He's a FecesU blowhard anyway, with an ass-kisser radio demeanor. Dude'ing and bro'ing everybody. Id rather listen to Brosephs. Since Nov, Burton has gone out of his way to defend Mooney while shitting on the "emotional and irrational fanbase" that even bother criticizing the staff.

His schtick is worn out too.

Reactions: SpiderK
Big Al has resigned.

Maybe a bunch of us can take over the 3-4 time slot and rehash the same debates we have on this forum.
Our first guest panel could be Matt Smith and the Don of the FMM.
I saw that coming. Big Al was not happy. ESPN will replace him with yet another NBA Show about LeBron.

Last edited:
Big Al is a nice guy, but a mediocre talk show host. He had the same schtick for years, never really knew much about sports in specific terms, wasn't a great interviewer, has the same 5 callers every day, yet apparently expected to be handed the morning slot for all time. Basically, he was the radio equivalent of Mooney.

Reactions: ur2K
Brosephs had Greg’s show one day this week and was pretty hard on Mooney. Was nice to hear him without being limited by real fans.

Big ALs a great guy but his show was getting old. Andrew Wallace ran circles around him on sports knowledge and opinion. Hope they give the afternoon slot to brosephs. Wish Al the best!

Wallace has been telling the truth recently about UR too, nice to hear, even with Bob in the room
Agreed. The other morning he got Bob to at least agree to disagree. As already mentioned, give Brosephs & Andrew more air time.

I really like the format of the Jimnasium. That was a fantastic one hour segment the other day with the ADs at UR and VCU. If it was Big Al it would of been the sunshine boys with their rendition of grumpy old men.

I for one miss Big Al. But whatever your feelings about the show, his treatment by the station has been disgraceful and a slap in the face to loyal listeners who one morning tuned in only to discover that Al’s former protege (and apparent opportunist) was taking the wheel. Congrats 950 on losing a long time listener. I can only hope that BB was not part of the nasty scheming that blindsided the Dean of Richmond sports radio.

I am sorry to see him leave. I hated the wall to wall Redskin crap, but listening to Al was very comforting background noise, like putting on your favorite bedroom slippers when you get home from work.

And while he did his best to avoid politics on his show, he was always very patriotic. I like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT