ADVERTISEMENT

Pour it on

urfan1

Jan 9, 2003
The deleted thread was way over the top. So attack me for deleting it. There are several posters that have one goal, fire the coach. Your point is clear -- stop trying to convince the rest of the posters, tell it to the AD, the new President, the Board Members. If you put it here expect others to attack you.

We've pissed off the teacher, now we're all in time out.

Where's coachfezz, me love me some coachfezz....

Just when the main armies had called a truce. There were still a few snipers and FatherSpider and Mo shot a few medics, but it was calming down.

Don't think that was the right decision. Deleting whole threads is an additional way to kill this community, I think there was another one a few weeks back that disappeared into the ether. Moderation and censorship are different things. If it's out of hand, lock it.

As far as I am aware this site has no official affiliation with UR athletics so opinions of all kind can be expressed. It's up to the sensible posters to drown out the idiots.

There was a lot of junk in there but there are people on here that want to talk basketball and if you ignore most of the crap, there's some basketball talk buried somewhere in there.

There's some bball talk on the a10 board, I'd encourage other Spider fans interested in basketball to step their toes in those waters.

URfan1, +1. I believe you made the right call for the best interests of our basketball team and program. Unfortunately, we have a few posters on here (not sure what the % is) who get angry, upset, and downright nasty, after a loss, and feel it is their right to vent, no matter what the impact on UR, the coaches, or the players. That is truly sad.

Extremely negative "knee-jerk" posts, usually within a few hours of an important loss, tend to sometimes amount to personal attacks, and there is absolutely no need for that on any board. These posts could obviously negatively impact future recruiting.

I am all for freedom of speech, as a general principle. I am also giving you my support in killing the thread I saw earlier that was filled with 90% negatives, and numerous personal attacks. If some of our posters (you know who you are) are all that enamored with negativism, and wanting to criticize and fire people, just go watch the local news, and you will get your share. It may also give you something more "real" (and significant) to vent about!

I presume that this board is "associated with" UR, and as such, someone needs to have the wisdom to decide what is in UR's best interests, and what is clearly not. Keep the posts "balanced," like most are, and they will likely stay around, for all to admire, or ridicule. Go over the magical "line," and we have seen what can happen.

Reactions: JCabrey
c6ad0289edc664a21a8109e5a405902e.530x700x2.gif

You did say pour it on.....

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
The deleted thread was way over the toAppep. So attack me for deleting it. There are several posters that have one goal, fire the coach. Your point is clear -- stop trying to convince the rest of the posters, tell it to the AD, the new President, the Board Members. If you put it here expect others to attack you.
'
I freely admit I'm one of those who, according to the moderator 'is way over the top' I don't know how having a strong position is 'over the top'. Appears you just got tried of debating it. Ok. To my knowledge UR has never bought out a coaches contract (correct me if I'm wrong) So we will have the current coach until 2020, (of course I don't believe we ever offered a contract this long) unless the coach doesn't like the pressure. The pressure is to get Mooney to change something. For the last 4 years this was the year, according to Mo, myself and many others we were expecting great things. I don't think (hope i'm wrong) it's going to happen unless we change something. Ok you can ban me now.

One quick question, then I'll go toposting time out for awhile. someone mentioned trey did a lot to hold Bembry to 0 points in the first half. with our switching defense how would that work? Did we actually play a man to man. I was driving and having a hard time listening on the radio

2k unfortunately the "idiots" have run off some of the "sensible posters". Some of those that had inside info and shared it with others when appropriate. Certain posters don't like the Coach, or the staff, and take every loss as a chance to beat the drum. It's a nature of the beast, and I'm sure the Coach and staff understand it. In fact I surmise the players understand it also. I cannot believe it is helpful to the program.

The board is not supported by or associated with the University, it is totally independent. However, it exists to give people that are passionate a place to discuss/enjoy/display/share their passion.

We try to let everyone have their say, but when it becomes so "negative" that it turns us against one another, or runs off our "sensible posters" action needs to be taken. I get criticized for letting posters be too rosy eyed and too negative also - FWIW. We use a number of tools to try to keep a reasonable discourse on the boards. They include public reminders, warnings, bans, locking threads, shutting down threads, among others. If you visit other boards you know some have had to completely stop operation at times We never reached that point -- and I hope we never do.

Personally I wish we could "win back" some of our more "sensible posters" they were/are good fans, good people, with a lot to offer/share.

OK, have at it, throw the barbs at me. I can take it.

It's a free board. I don't know what thread was deleted, hoping I didn't post on it. I have no problems with this board having a moderator. If someone else does, let them start a competitor board.

'
I freely admit I'm one of those who, according to the moderator 'is way over the top' I don't know how having a strong position is 'over the top'. Appears you just got tried of debating it. Ok. To my knowledge UR has never bought out a coaches contract (correct me if I'm wrong) So we will have the current coach until 2020, (of course I don't believe we ever offered a contract this long) unless the coach doesn't like the pressure. The pressure is to get Mooney to change something. For the last 4 years this was the year, according to Mo, myself and many others we were expecting great things. I don't think (hope i'm wrong) it's going to happen unless we change something. Ok you can ban me now.

One quick question, then I'll go toposting time out for awhile. someone mentioned trey did a lot to hold Bembry to 0 points in the first half. with our switching defense how would that work? Did we actually play a man to man. I was driving and having a hard time listening on the radio

No, #15 and #12 were lighting us up so bad in the 1st half that Bembry didn't need to do anything until the second half. During which he torched us for 16 points in 20 minutes.

I don't know Fan, I really don't know anyone who doesn't like Chris Mooney. Seems like most of the negative stuff is against his coaching philosophy, not him personally. How can you not like the guy, he's a great person. At least with me, it's more frustration with seeing the same "issues" year after year, and a lack of understanding (on my part) as to why certain things aren't tried, done away with, or adjusted. I don't think it's a hate issue with Mooney.

Calling people idiots doesn't help either, you are lowering yourself to their level.

Two things we ALL have in common; we're all Spiders, and we're all passionate fans.

2k unfortunately the "idiots" have run off some of the "sensible posters". Some of those that had inside info and shared it with others when appropriate. Certain posters don't like the Coach, or the staff, and take every loss as a chance to beat the drum. It's a nature of the beast, and I'm sure the Coach and staff understand it. In fact I surmise the players understand it also. I cannot believe it is helpful to the program.

The board is not supported by or associated with the University, it is totally independent. However, it exists to give people that are passionate a place to discuss/enjoy/display/share their passion.

We try to let everyone have their say, but when it becomes so "negative" that it turns us against one another, or runs off our "sensible posters" action needs to be taken. I get criticized for letting posters be too rosy eyed and too negative also - FWIW. We use a number of tools to try to keep a reasonable discourse on the boards. They include public reminders, warnings, bans, locking threads, shutting down threads, among others. If you visit other boards you know some have had to completely stop operation at times We never reached that point -- and I hope we never do.

Personally I wish we could "win back" some of our more "sensible posters" they were/are good fans, good people, with a lot to offer/share.

Censorship of this public forum should be left to the individual in my opinion. Everyone is free to do what they wish with their own account.

If there is going to be an individual who publicly moderates, then I think it important that the individual properly identifies the problem. Applying the wrong medicine toward an illness will not cure the disease.

Honesty and clear headedness should make it obvious that there is a common denominator when these dust ups occur. Anyone paying attention can easily identify this individual. The common denominator finds different competitors to joust with, but there is almost always one constant.

All should be held to the same standard. Why, Mr. Moderator, do you not address this individual? Anytime anyone says something that the common denominator doesn't like, he replies with dismissive, smart aleck, personal attacks. Sarcastic personal attacks fuel a fire, and the next thing you know Jed is a millionaire.

The fact that people have differing opinions regarding strategy and tactics is not the problem.

urfan1 - I agree with your decision. I have noticed that the thread that was started after the old thread's demise is a lot more polite. Thanks for your leadership in this area.

The deleted thread was way over the top. So attack me for deleting it. There are several posters that have one goal, fire the coach. Your point is clear -- stop trying to convince the rest of the posters, tell it to the AD, the new President, the Board Members. If you put it here expect others to attack you.
Weak

Face it college athletics is a business that solely exists if it is financially viable. A successful
program must provide an entertainment value that continues to put fans in the seats and money
in the athletic department. As a fan we expect and demand excellence in what we pay to see.
If a business manager runs his/her company poorly, then owners can either make a change or
cut pay and obviously evaluate performance.

Are we not evaluating what we are stock holders in? We have a right to voice our opinion but personal attacks
of others opinions is not acceptable. If I disagree with the coaching decisions or the effort of the players, I have a
right to have a voice. But never in form of a personal attack on the character of coaches, players or fans.

It was the most interesting and entertaining thread this board has ever had. Hahahaha lol deleting a thread because it's "too negative" hahahaha how ridiculous!!!! It's a message board for heavens sake. Ribbings, criticism, talking trash to each other, disagreeing, is part of the fun. Wow you guys take yourselves way too seriously. Damn.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Face it college athletics is a business that solely exists if it is financially viable. A successful
program must provide an entertainment value that continues to put fans in the seats and money
in the athletic department. As a fan we expect and demand excellence in what we pay to see.
If a business manager runs his/her company poorly, then owners can either make a change or
cut pay and obviously evaluate performance.

Are we not evaluating what we are stock holders in? We have a right to voice our opinion but personal attacks
of others opinions is not acceptable. If I disagree with the coaching decisions or the effort of the players, I have a
right to have a voice. But never in form of a personal attack on the character of coaches, players or fans.
URfan1, +1. I believe you made the right call for the best interests of our basketball team and program. Unfortunately, we have a few posters on here (not sure what the % is) who get angry, upset, and downright nasty, after a loss, and feel it is their right to vent, no matter what the impact on UR, the coaches, or the players. That is truly sad.

Extremely negative "knee-jerk" posts, usually within a few hours of an important loss, tend to sometimes amount to personal attacks, and there is absolutely no need for that on any board. These posts could obviously negatively impact future recruiting.

I am all for freedom of speech, as a general principle. I am also giving you my support in killing the thread I saw earlier that was filled with 90% negatives, and numerous personal attacks. If some of our posters (you know who you are) are all that enamored with negativism, and wanting to criticize and fire people, just go watch the local news, and you will get your share. It may also give you something more "real" (and significant) to vent about!

I presume that this board is "associated with" UR, and as such, someone needs to have the wisdom to decide what is in UR's best interests, and what is clearly not. Keep the posts "balanced," like most are, and they will likely stay around, for all to admire, or ridicule. Go over the magical "line," and we have seen what can happen.
Our posts "could negatively impact future recruiting" hahahaha I just peed myself. Get over yourself!!! You or any of us are not that important. Go read any other board that has passionate fans and read. Kentucky UNC Louisville those fans make our posts look tame. Does their message boards negatively affect recruiting?? Lol what a ridiculous concept. Maybe it will increase recruiting because they see that the fans have passion and care and aren't just the wine and cheese crowd the lambs suggest we are.

Our posts "could negatively impact future recruiting" hahahaha I just peed myself. Get over yourself!!! You or any of us are not that important. Go read any other board that has passionate fans and read. Kentucky UNC Louisville those fans make our posts look tame. Does their message boards negatively affect recruiting?? Lol what a ridiculous concept. Maybe it will increase recruiting because they see that the fans have passion and care and aren't just the wine and cheese crowd the lambs suggest we are.
Go Daddy Go.....

This business about how negativity on a discussion forum looks to recruits, etc. is a smokescreen to put it politely. If what people say on a school's basketball forums has a negative impact on recruiting, then how do Kansas, Kentucky, and other top hoops schools consistently recruit at the level they do? Their discussion boards are mercilessly harsh and negative. We have a few people here who are negative or otherwise overreact to a loss and we go into full Pyongyang mode.

This really has nothing to do with recruiting, and everything to do with our collective thin-skinned, politically correct world view on this forum. I have NEVER heard any recruit for any program ever say that he based any part of his recruiting decision on how polite the fans were on the schools sports discussion board. It is the acme of bloviated self-importance to think that the rantings of a few frustrated fans makes any difference whatsoever in our recruiting efforts.

It's simply a convenient excuse for censorship (arbitrary censorship with no explanation at that) to avoid grown-ass men from having their widdle feewings hurt. It's pathetic.

I don't get the fact that the naysayers are running off the old-timers. Shouldn't the old-timers stand their ground and run off the naysayers? Almost all message boards I've been on have had their share of Negative Nancies, and they're dealt with in house, and it's all unicorns and rainbows afterwards. Why does it have to be so dramatic?

Reactions: ur2K
This business about how negativity on a discussion forum looks to recruits, etc. is a smokescreen to put it politely. If what people say on a school's basketball forums has a negative impact on recruiting, then how do Kansas, Kentucky, and other top hoops schools consistently recruit at the level they do? Their discussion boards are mercilessly harsh and negative. We have a few people here who are negative or otherwise overreact to a loss and we go into full Pyongyang mode.

This really has nothing to do with recruiting, and everything to do with our collective thin-skinned, politically correct world view on this forum. I have NEVER heard any recruit for any program ever say that he based any part of his recruiting decision on how polite the fans were on the schools sports discussion board. It is the acme of bloviated self-importance to think that the rantings of a few frustrated fans makes any difference whatsoever in our recruiting efforts.

It's simply a convenient excuse for censorship (arbitrary censorship with no explanation at that) to avoid grown-ass men from having their widdle feewings hurt. It's pathetic.
Well put but we better watch what we say or urfan1 might delete the thread ha hahahaha lol.

As a former moderator of the Saint Joseph's message board I can tell you that on several occasions I had a player's parent call or message me regarding certain comments made about their son.

I am reasonably well connected in the high school coaching and AAU coaching circuits and have also heard how active prospects themselves as well as their family and friends are in reading (but almost never posting) the boards of the schools at the top of their lists.

Whether these boards should carry the weight they do is an entirely different argument but I assure you today's recruits, their friends, and families devour social media and the tone of these boards is one dimension of the perception they form about how they or their friend or son and his team will be judged and supported through thick and thin.

I can also tell you that many programs have people who regularly review message boards of fellow conference members and specific out of conference schools when they know they are competing with them for a recruit.

I don't know what was in the thread where your moderator felt it best to delete it. I know personally when moderating we tried to private message a poster who had stepped over a line to suggest they edit it so they understood why instead of just seeing their post had changed.

In general personal attacks of anyone, racial or homophobic slurs, information that would be confidential under guidelines regarding student privacy, and profanity would draw a quick response.

In the rare instance someone was a repeat offender they'd get a temporary banishment but only one second chance.

When you have a player's parent wake you up at 3 AM because some drunken poster has gone off the rails you appreciate the work that moderators do trust me.

The most egregious thing I experienced as a moderator was a relative newcomer who went on destructive rants. A few messages later with no cooperation we edited and/or deleted his posts and eventually banned him or her.

Then another "new" member appeared with the same behavior with the same results. The third time we looked a bit deeper smelling a rat and of course all 3 were using the same IP address, that of a student at a rival.

I did a quick search to provide some information other than just my personal experiences that shed additional light on this topic. Again I am not saying that anonymous message board posters should be able to influence recruiting as much as some do - simply that sometimes perception is reality.

PS It's a shame you had to start conference play with ShawnDre' not at 100% but he played a heck of a game. Good luck the rest of the way unless of course we meet in Brooklyn!

http://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/47012/negative-comments-message-board-hurt?page=4

http://bearcatnews.com/forum/basketball/5062-do-message-boards-hurt-recruiting

http://www.nacacnet.org/research/pu...arketplace/documents/rptbrief_socialmedia.pdf

http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2009/06/idiots-guide-to-interacting-with.html

Reactions: UR Fan 2 and urfan1
JCabrey your message is excellent but will fall on deaf ears with some of the knuckleheads
on this site-and I'm sure other schools have the same problem.
But I appreciate your response.

Reactions: JCabrey
As a former moderator of the Saint Joseph's message board I can tell you that on several occasions I had a player's parent call or message me regarding certain comments made about their son.

I am reasonably well connected in the high school coaching and AAU coaching circuits and have also heard how active prospects themselves as well as their family and friends are in reading (but almost never posting) the boards of the schools at the top of their lists.

Whether these boards should carry the weight they do is an entirely different argument but I assure you today's recruits, their friends, and families devour social media and the tone of these boards is one dimension of the perception they form about how they or their friend or son and his team will be judged and supported through thick and thin.

I can also tell you that many programs have people who regularly review message boards of fellow conference members and specific out of conference schools when they know they are competing with them for a recruit.

I don't know what was in the thread where your moderator felt it best to delete it. I know personally when moderating we tried to private message a poster who had stepped over a line to suggest they edit it so they understood why instead of just seeing their post had changed.

In general personal attacks of anyone, racial or homophobic slurs, information that would be confidential under guidelines regarding student privacy, and profanity would draw a quick response.

In the rare instance someone was a repeat offender they'd get a temporary banishment but only one second chance.

When you have a player's parent wake you up at 3 AM because some drunken poster has gone off the rails you appreciate the work that moderators do trust me.

The most egregious thing I experienced as a moderator was a relative newcomer who went on destructive rants. A few messages later with no cooperation we edited and/or deleted his posts and eventually banned him or her.

Then another "new" member appeared with the same behavior with the same results. The third time we looked a bit deeper smelling a rat and of course all 3 were using the same IP address, that of a student at a rival.

I did a quick search to provide some information other than just my personal experiences that shed additional light on this topic. Again I am not saying that anonymous message board posters should be able to influence recruiting as much as some do - simply that sometimes perception is reality.

PS It's a shame you had to start conference play with ShawnDre' not at 100% but he played a heck of a game. Good luck the rest of the way unless of course we meet in Brooklyn!

http://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/47012/negative-comments-message-board-hurt?page=4

http://www.nacacnet.org/research/pu...arketplace/documents/rptbrief_socialmedia.pdf

If a potential recruit was so thin skinned that he would choose a school to play for based on the sensitivity level or lack there of on a message board, I would pray that he choose to play for a school other than the one I support.
With that being said, nothing in the thread was derogatory to any players or coaches except to criticize certain aspects of play. Fan to fan bickering was the extent of it.

Al

Also if it were true that message boards affect recruiting, how is that the most critical, vocal fan bases are some of the most successful? It doesn't fly. There isn't a message board in the world with any sizeable fan base that doesn't contain a level of criticism and the bigger the fan base the higher the level of criticism.

Fatherspider not having seen the entire thread I cannot comment on that. I can tell you that family members of some of our best players that took us to two NCAA Tournament appearances during my tenure as a moderator were offended on more than one occasion and would call me or text me before whichever of our moderators was scheduled had even seen the comments.

I can also tell you that as I get to know the players' families once they're at Hawk Hill many have told me they formed an impression about SJU based partially from the message board.

I assume you are an adult. Remember these are 16 or if late in the process 17 year olds and sometimes younger that coaches are trying to form relationships with.

If you are a parent or friends with one whose child is receiving Division 1 attention I suspect you or your friends would be fiercely protective of their son from extreme negativity towards their son or his teammates and coaches.

The choice of a school is a major point of pride for D1 players and their families and friends.

I shared the information for the benefit of anyone who wondered about or doubted social media's impact on recruiting. Anyone looking for more information can find it on Google or simply ask a member of your coaching staff or any high school or AAU coach that you know.

As a conference competitor I now respectfully withdraw from this discussion with the Hawk in me hoping that Annapspider is right and that it falls on deaf ears.

THWND

I'm sure recruits, players, families and lots of others read this board. We know some parents do, obviously, from past experiences. And of course we want to represent our school in a positive manner and hopefully not take cheap shots at anyone personally (players or each other).

That said, as mentioned above, all schools have message boards, and all message boards have this type of stuff. If a recruit specifically decided not to come to UR because a few people were critical of the coach or players at times, I doubt he would be able to find another school whose message board didn't contain any of that stuff. So it's sort of a wash, IMO.

I don't have any problem with people discussing or criticizing our coach or our players, as long as it doesn't get personal. That's the real world. Any kid who plays D-1 basketball should be bright enough to know he is going to be analyzed, critiqued, praised and – yes – criticized at times. That's life.

You like your Saint Joe's brethern are a class act. Thank you. OSC

Fatherspider not having seen the entire thread I cannot comment on that. I can tell you that family members of some of our best players that took us to two NCAA Tournament appearances during my tenure as a moderator were offended on more than one occasion and would call me or text me before whichever of our moderators was scheduled had even seen the comments.

I can also tell you that as I get to know the players' families once they're at Hawk Hill many have told me they formed an impression about SJU based partially from the message board.

I assume you are an adult. Remember these are 16 or if late in the process 17 year olds and sometimes younger that coaches are trying to form relationships with.

If you are a parent or friends with one whose child is receiving Division 1 attention I suspect you or your friends would be fiercely protective of their son from extreme negativity towards their son or his teammates and coaches.

The choice of a school is a major point of pride for D1 players and their families and friends.

I shared the information for the benefit of anyone who wondered about or doubted social media's impact on recruiting. Anyone looking for more information can find it on Google or simply ask a member of your coaching staff or any high school or AAU coach that you know.

As a conference competitor I now respectfully withdraw from this discussion with the Hawk in me hoping that Annapspider is right and that it falls on deaf ears.

THWND
Thanks for your input. Your attempt to disguise condescension for respect was not successful. Enjoy the hawk board.

THWND
Also what in my post offended you? I disagreed w you. You can't take someone disagreeing w you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT