ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Guidelines

CarolinaSpider

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2006
I know there are select dates you can enter and if a coach has been fired or a grad student, there is no restriction.
But I thought it was only allowed one time transfer without sitting out. So how in the world does Bamisille go in
portal 3 times without having to sit out. Also I thought some leagues established a one year sit out if transferring
within. the league. This is a travesty that the NCAA created that has taken the importance of education and
commitment and thrown them out the window.

Reactions: spider fan
My understanding is Bamisille either has to get a waiver or sit a year? But who knows with the current rules.

Reactions: urfan1
He already got one waiver. There’s some speculation about whether he’ll be challenged in getting another, and I don’t know if he’s grad transferring at this point and thus somehow not restricted.

But yes, it’s problematic that it seems like it’s pure free agency these days.

I know there are select dates you can enter and if a coach has been fired or a grad student, there is no restriction.
But I thought it was only allowed one time transfer without sitting out. So how in the world does Bamisille go in
portal 3 times without having to sit out. Also I thought some leagues established a one year sit out if transferring
within. the league. This is a travesty that the NCAA created that has taken the importance of education and
commitment and thrown them out the window.
His is a unique case...If I am not mistaken he had coaching changes at each school he was at. He now has very sick family member and is why he's back home. My understanding he would have needed a hardship waiver, and due to situation prob would get it.

His is a unique case...If I am not mistaken he had coaching changes at each school he was at. He now has very sick family member and is why he's back home. My understanding he would have needed a hardship waiver, and due to situation prob would get it.
What a legal way to game the system, I don’t blame him!

Ah yes, the old sick family member scenario. I wonder how sick the family member would have been had Bamisile been a starter and scored 20 points a game at Oklahoma last season?

That's fair. I hope the family member recovers. Just have heard these kind of stories way too often over the years, and the timing always seems to miraculously work out just right for the player, so it's hard not to be jaded about how often the "rules" can be ignored.

That's fair. I hope the family member recovers. Just have heard these kind of stories way too often over the years, and the timing always seems to miraculously work out just right for the player, so it's hard not to be jaded about how often the "rules" can be ignored.
Yeah I get it and def some players have used the system...but this is def legit, unfortunately.

I believe u r mistaken on the coaching changes. Happened at GW. But not at VA Tech or Oklahoma. So 1 out of 3.

I believe u r mistaken on the coaching changes. Happened at GW. But not at VA Tech or Oklahoma. So 1 out of 3.
I Could be, no biggie(went on what I was told in that dept...I didn't google it)...but the fact that some thought we would never go after someone like Joe or Joe specifically, were wrong. I do know he does have a very sick family member and the reasons he didn't end up here are not what people are assuming. He still is a unique case 🤷‍♂️ no matter the amount of coaching changes.

I Could be, no biggie(went on what I was told in that dept...I didn't google it)...but the fact that some thought we would never go after someone like Joe or Joe specifically, were wrong. I do know he does have a very sick family member and the reasons he didn't end up here are not what people are assuming. He still is a unique case 🤷‍♂️ no matter the amount of coaching changes.

I didn't google either. I just know Mike Young has been at VA Tech a little while now, he predates Bamisile. Jamion Christian was his coach fired at GW they r in our league. He literally just went to OU last summer and Porter Moser is still there. Chance I'm wrong so fire up the Google machine and u can confirm for all us.

I'm one who thought we wouldn't go after him. Guilty. It is not UR or Mooney m.o. to do so. Granted it's a bit of new world with transfer portal. As stated by Native I could see his credit situation being tough at UR unless he was a grad transfer which hard to believe he is (if he was a waiver not even in play). So in what way did we go after him and why didn't he come here?

Reactions: SpiderDad75
The fact that Mooney went after someone means nothing to me. No credit for effort, a miss is a miss. In fact, easy to see how it could be viewed as failure.

Bottom line, Spiders need serious help from the portal. Guys that averaged 7-points or 4-rebounds are not going to cut it for next season. Incarnate Word, Gardner-Webb, Grand Canyon, St. Francis - Brooklyn, are not likely to provide impact players to Richmond.

Is there an outside possibility of those transfers having success, yeah, but probability is very low. If that is the best that we can do in the portal this year, the Spiders are in deep trouble.

Upside, at least Mooney will be forced to play Noyes (not that I think that he will be star power right out of the gate, but I do think that he has good potential).

The fact that Mooney went after someone means nothing to me. No credit for effort, a miss is a miss. In fact, easy to see how it could be viewed as failure.
Exactly, going after premier players that could improve our program is a job prerequisite and requirement. Actually, excelling at your job would mean landing said players and then putting together a full roster and delivering a postseason birth next year.

Zero credit for not landing quality players is or should be given.

Reactions: Eight Legger
He needs to pull a few big rabbits from his hat here soon, or else we are looking at another bottom-half finish at best.

Sorry he has a sick member of his immediate family. But if he transfers to VCU, he's in town and able to help whether he's eligible or not, right?

In fact you could make the point he would have even more time to help out this sick relative who is very important to him if he had to sit out a year.

The fact that GW changed coaches this year makes no difference.

“An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being; due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.”

Waivers will no longer be approved just because the athlete’s participation opportunity at their former school changed, or even because of a coaching change or a change in the athlete’s scholarship status."

If he's a grad transfer, all bets are off.

Last edited:
Sorry he has a sick member of his immediate family. But if he transfers to VCU, he's in town and able to help whether he's eligible or not, right?

In fact you could make the point he would have even more time to help out this sick relative who is very important to him if he had to sit out a year.
Your point 🤷🏼‍♂️

the rules have changed to make things more favorable to the student athlete.
when's the last time we've heard of anybody sitting out a year?

They claim to be tightening up after relaxing things amid COVID craziness. I am skeptical though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT