ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Does NIT success raise your expectations for next season?

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
I will hold off on my opinion to much, much later in an attempt not to bias anyone.

Yes. Expected NCAAs next season w/ a brief stay before these past few games.

I believe SDJ is going to have a monster year, and JJ is going to be the most improved player by a wide margin. I didn't see that, especially in JJ, until the SFU game. He has a jump shot that 98% of college basketball cannot defend. And SDJ has looked comfortable as both a scorer AND distributor these past few games.

Combine those two with the rest of our returners, and this is a basketball team that can beat you in many ways. Multiple guys who can create their own shots, and the return of LENGTH and DEFENSE at more positions. We've had some great teams in the past, but 2015-16 may be the most diversified bunch.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:08 AM by HuntsmanSpider

I went with "or bust", but don't feel it's or bust. you always lose somebody and Kendall is a big loss, but we've got a ton coming back and we should be good. it will be very interesting to see how the rotations work out. end of the day, we'll get down to about 8-9 guys seeing time. we'll have more than 8 good players. good players sitting on the bench isn't always a good thing. anyone hear anything about the redshirt guys? I expect Wood to be a big time addition but haven't heard anything.

Tremendous improvement needed in 3 of 4 of our rising seniors. Potential is limitless. I would hire Chu as a shooting and free throw coach. Also I would get Charles Barkley to come give our guys a lesson on boxing out and rebounding.

I'd rather have Ben Wallace come in and give some instruction on boxing out, rebounding, and attitude. Plus, he is here in Richmond most of the time anyway.

Regardless of the NIT outcome, I think we are a solid NCAA-caliber team next year, and if we can't make the dance with the players we will have, the coaching seat will need to get very warm.

I would not be surprised to see a couple of our current starters and/or major minute players see their minutes go down next season. I think we will have at least 10 guys who can really play and battle for floor time. Hopefully, the 2 or 3 scholarship players who don't play a lot will not get discouraged and want to transfer.

Originally posted by SpiderK:
Tremendous improvement needed in 3 of 4 of our rising seniors. Potential is limitless. I would hire Chu as a shooting and free throw coach. Also I would get Charles Barkley to come give our guys a lesson on boxing out and rebounding.
Good post.

I'd also consider hiring Kevin Eastman to do some shooting and offensive coaching over the summer, if he is still doing that sort of thing. I have heard and read that he is one of the very, very best coaches available anywhere at any price when it comes to shooting instruction and coaching offensive basketball. When my son was younger and still playing basketball, I really wanted him to attend one of KE's summer camps at the Steward School.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT