ADVERTISEMENT

Player grades: JMU

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
Wanted to start something new which is to grade each players (and coaches) performance after each game. This is my scale
A=Excellent
B=Above average
C=Average
D=Below average
F=Poor

Terry Allen: A: Really brilliant game. Absolutely unstoppable on offense, career high 27 points, several big steals, also game high 7 rebounds. Would have been an A+ but elbowing the ref at the end of the game. You just can't do that. Seemed completely out of character for TA, thinking, hoping he thought it was a JMU player behind and not the ref.
SDJ: B- Great first half scoring 10 points. Average second half, didn't do anything poorly but needed him to step up a bit more in the second half.
Fore: B- With the exception of Terry Allen, thought he played with the most energy/passion. Missed a shot in the second half, and went in and got an offensive rebound. His dunk in the second half was just nasty.
TJ: C: TJ scored 13 points but man were they a quiet 13 points. Got in early foul trouble which limited his time. Need more than 3 boards out of the center position as well.
Jesse: C: You could see the first game nerves on him, but I liked his activity. Got a nice offensive rebound (freshman mistake, I assume) and knocked down a 3. Got exposed on defense at times.
Trey: D: 37 minutes, 2 rebounds for a guy who is supposedly in one of our better rebounders is not cutting it. Air balled a wide open 3. Really needed his senior leadership to step up tonight, it didn't
Wood: D: His 3 in the corner was really pretty. But that was his only highlighted. Committed fouls at will, poor defense.
Deion: F: He played 23 minutes, if you can name something positive he did in those 23 minutes, that is one more than I can think of. Did he air ball 2 FT's in a row?

Mooney: F: We lost by 12 in front of a full house to a CAA team on the night when we named our court. And we didn't even put up a fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderK
Two airball free throws is like throwing two gutter balls in bowling, known affectionately as a Zero. Too bad there are no bumpers to raise in basketball.

I agree with all these grades except Fore. I'm giving him an A-. He seemed to be everything we hoped he could be. We need to see a lot more of him, and soon. I'd venture to say we've never had a kid his size do what he did on that dunk. He also is lightning quick with the ball. Gonna be fun to watch four years of him.

I give William and Mary an A - just beat N.C. State in Raleigh; the Tribe finished with a 42-38 rebounding advantage. Yes - it can be done, Coach Mooney! Have your DOBO get Tony Shaver's cellphone number. It may be a call that would be worthwhile. Just sayin.....
Careful now, I tried to tell the non-believers about him last year and was rudely dismissed by many on this board. Shaver is a high quality coach who is a perfect fit for UR.

Reactions: I-M-UR
TA was outstanding. He will be the best player in the arena for most games this year. S Jones had a nice game, and some good glimpses into the future with good moments from Fore and Piskotache.

However, same themes as always allowed this loss:
  • Rebounding
  • No offense from TD
  • Rebounding
  • No offense from DT
  • Rebounding
I don't care how good your defense is, if you are terrible at offense, I don't want you on the floor except in very select situations.

Fair and accurate grades 97. Yes Deon not only airballed two free throws the first one missed by 6 inches the next one by 2 feet. I don't think I've ever seen a free throw missed that badly. It must be nerves but after 4+ years of being a starter it's not going away. I don't care how well he practices his game performance is pitiful

I'd give an A plus to Matt Brady. He certainly had his team prepared for this game. Won't grade CM, will be interesting to see if he can still get this team to play above the CAA level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT