ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus 104 Jamestown 0

My wife taught at Jamestown for many years. Great academic school, solid in many sports, but never has fielded a good football team. I feel for the kids there...
If anyone is old enough to remember the Richmond Mustangs semi-pro team in the early 70's, I saw them win a game 105-0.

Reactions: gcarter52
My wife taught at Jamestown for many years. Great academic school, solid in many sports, but never has fielded a good football team. I feel for the kids there...
If anyone is old enough to remember the Richmond Mustangs semi-pro team in the early 70's, I saw them win a game 105-0.
We are telling our age, but I do remember lol.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Saw it on MaxPreps when looking for other scores. I assumed at the time the score was reported in jest.

Apparently, Jamestown had a record of 1-10. Why were they in the playoffs?

"Jamestown had a difficult season and finished 1-10. It lost its previous game 84-0 at Warhill (Williamsburg, Virginia)."

VHSL about 10+ years ago went from A-AA-AAA levels to 6 divisions of football. The goal was to offer more championships to schools, but it killed a lot of rivalries and allowed for teams with atrocious records to get into the playoffs. I don't keep up much these days, too hard to keep track of it all.

The problem is that they rank teams according to some power matrix rather than by record. So if you play a really hard schedule and go 0-11, you accrue enough power points that you may qualify ahead of teams that are 6-5 against a bunch of lower-ranked teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT