ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Opponent's Countdown - Rhode Island

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

in another incredible anomaly of the CAA scheduling software the Spiders and Rams have not met since 2015...I was a lot younger then, and Richmond was finishing up a dominant run of 16 wins in 18 games since 1991...the Rams were a struggling program and had been for years...

Rhode Island Coach Jim Fleming finally found the secret to success in Kingston and has built a program that many feel can battle for the CAA Championship...the Rams have finished 7-4 the last two seasons and some feel were the final team left out of last season's FCS Playoff at-large selections...

both teams have a lot of football to play before they meet on October 14 but it's very conceivable that both squads could come into the game 3-0 in the CAA...before the showdown each plays Stony Brook and Maine...the Rams have Villanova in their other game and the Spiders Hampton...

coaches, players and fans could have a much better idea of how far their team can go in the Championship battle after this one...whoever wins it has the very valuable road win over a probable Championship contending team...that's good for their confidence, second half momentum, Championship chances and At-large portfolio...

the Spiders need to be at their best for this one!

enjoy the Countdown!

Go Spiders!

URI Record:

8/31/2023 at Georgia State Atlanta, Ga. L 35-42
9/8/2023 * Stony Brook Kingston, R.I. W 35-14
9/15/2023 * at Maine Orono, Maine W 34-17
9/23/2023 * at Villanova Villanova, Pa. L 9-35
9/30/2023 Bryant Kingston, R.I. W 49-26
10/7/2023 at Brown Providence, R.I. W 34-30

Last edited:

Rhode Island 34, Brown 30

Kasim Hill passed for 222 yards and three touchdowns as #25 Rhode Island (4-2, 2-1 CAA) held off Brown, 34-30, to claim the Governor’s Cup for the fifth straight season. In a back-and-forth game, the Rams went on top 13-10 early in the second quarter as Hill threw scoring passes of 50 yards to Kahtero Summers and 27 yards to Marquis Buchanan. After Brown went on top 17-13, URI quickly regained the lead after a 95-yard kickoff return by Randy Jordan. The Rams trailed 27-20 in the third period, but Hill connected on a game-tying 27-yard TD toss to Darius Savedge and Ja’Den McKenzie broke loose for a 50-yard TD run to make it 34-27. Holding a four-point advantage in the final minute, URI sealed the victory when Syeed Gibbs picked off his second pass of the game at the Brown 27-yard line.

McKenzie finished with 111 yards rushing and a TD on 12 carries, which Buchanan had five receptions for 84 yards. Linebacker Evan Stewart topped the URI defense with 13 tackles, while Gibbs had a career-high nine stops and 2.0 TFL’s to go along with his two interceptions

Last edited:
not good for our game, but at least we have experience

National weather now says rain will not come into kingston until sat. nite
62% ,mostly cloudy, wind 10-15mph

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT