ADVERTISEMENT

Peter Thomas - UR Coach in Waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
Rumor has it PT is meeting with Hardt today to discuss a new contract that would make him the UR coach in waiting after last nights dramatic comeback. From walk-on on the 2004 JW NCAA team to a starter and captain his final year under Mooney, PT brings it full circle as he now returns as assistant coach/associate head coach - only to become the next UR head coach, when Mooney is ready to step down.

Just kidding of course - but you have to admit, this is likely creeping in the back of the minds like Hardt. Mooney is dealing with a pretty serious health issue, and while he is only 50 years old - you have to wonder if this medical scare will cause him to shorten his coaching career desires. And if that is the case, and if PT can put together a decent run this year to end the season - I would imagine PT becomes a viable option when and if Mooney steps down. It would seem normal that if Mooney, WHEN he leaves UR - I would assume he leaves on good terms, and when that is the case normally with a coach leaving on good terms and having been at a school over 20 years - that I would think they stay in the "Mooney" family and who better than PT?

This may be all a joke right now - but if PT pulls off the upset of VCU, look out.

If we were having success like St. Mary's or San Diego State, I would say it makes sense to explore the option. But makes no sense in our situation. But yes, could see sleepy Hardt looking into this.
I never said it made sense - but your spot on, sleepy Hardt would look into it.

Can you think of another situation where a coach was at a school over 20 years AND left on good terms, and the next coach was not connected to that previous coach or the program???

I was thinking Martelli at St. Joes - but I don't think he left on good terms. I think new AD came in and fired him, so I would not consider that good terms.

But you look at Davidson - McKillop was there forever, and when he left - it went to his son Matt, but he was on the staff there I think for over 10 years as well.

Does it paint you into a corner - if you have a coach, who you keep for that long, and if you kept them for that long , you must be happy with their performance, but when they leave - you decide - no thanks, we are going in different direction and hire outside the staff or coaching tree?

Mooney will be fine after the surgery. he's young. he's not going to retire.
so if the team is strong in the next couple years we'll keep him.
if it's in bad shape at that time we could let him go.
but I can't see the transition you're suggesting.

I am not saying the transition happens this year. I think Mooney will be fine as well. But maybe this makes him think - do I really want to coach until I am 60-65? Maybe he cuts it down now to 55. So in 5 years, that would be nearly 25 years at UR - he would have more than enough to step down - maybe even do some TV work if he wanted to, spend more time with his family, etc. And hand over the reigns to PT - assuming he is still on staff at that time.

I'm sure Mooney intends to coach Danny at Richmond, and that will be 5 more years or so out I think.

maybe I underestimate the time commitment and stress of coaching.
I assume they have a ton of time with family. more than an investment banker for sure. and the commute isn't bad.

Peter Thomas's poise and demeanor suggest he will be a head coach one day, possibly soon. As others have said, Coach Mooney will be fine after surgery and isn't likely to retire any time soon. Peter Thomas will likely get a head coaching gig elsewhere soon, and I doubt very highly he'll be an assistant for the next 15 or 20 years "waiting" for this job to open. Could he be the UR head coach one day? Sure, but I'm pretty certain he'll be a head coach elsewhere first.

EDIT: I am NOT looking to debate IF Coach Monney SHOULD OR WILL BE the UR head coach for the next 15 or 20 years, I am just responding to the suggestion that PT will be Mooney's "successor in waiting" - I think PT will get a chance to be the head coach elsewhere and thus that is not likely to happen.

we'd have to start winning a lot for our Associate HC to be in demand for a HC job.
Agree - if Mooney hovers around .500 like he typically does and then makes a run toward NCAA tourney or bubble territory every so often, our assistants will not be in line for other schools HC jobs, but possibly "coach in waiting" since you would have to assume the school appreciates those results, and would like to continue with them- then hire within.

I think the only assistant we had leave for HC job was McGeehan - and he got that after back to back and sweet 16 runs. But his time might be coming to an end there as they have struggled recently and most of the core staff - like Peter Thomas have left.

Reactions: SpiderK
I assume they have a ton of time with family. more than an investment banker for sure. and the commute isn't bad.
Definitely the stress is there for most college coaches. Not at UR though. Win one and lose one and you are there for life. Short commute, free Land Rovers, do a few bad commercials, cook a couple Bar-B-Ques and that’s it.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I would imagine you are significantly underestimating it. Think of all the trips they have to take to recruit, for starters. Probably several dozen a year or more, I would imagine. Practices, scouting, watching film, developing game plans, traveling for games, etc. etc. They aren't working 9-5 and then calling it a day.

By the way, Coach Pete did a nice job last night. He made some halftime adjustments, called timeouts at the appropriate times, and stayed out of his players way at the end. He told Burton to go out there and win the game, and didn’t berate and beat down Nelson until his shoulders dropped and quit.

Reactions: ViennaSpider
One thing that I think we need to consider that is not out of the realm of possibility is that this health scare for Mooney causes him to evaluate his future life. The life of college basketball coach is super stressful, requires long hours away from your family, and so maybe he comes out of this with a different perspective on how he wants to live the rest of his life. He certainly has made enough $$$ in his 18 years of coaching that he literally can have any option on the table that he wants.

Think Peter Thomas did a great job and he has a wonderful family! But seeing this thread made me think - win a game we were not supposed to win and the possibilities are endless. "The world is your oyster."

I would imagine you are significantly underestimating it. Think of all the trips they have to take to recruit, for starters. Probably several dozen a year or more, I would imagine. Practices, scouting, watching film, developing game plans, traveling for games, etc. etc. They aren't working 9-5 and then calling it a day.
I'm not saying he's not working. anyone making good money is working.

in season it's a lot but you're still sleeping in your bed 5-6 nights per week. offseason, there's only a few live period events a coach can even go to. I guarantee he's available for breakfast or dinner with the family a few hundred times a year more than I was when mine were growing up.

I'm not saying he's not working. anyone making good money is working.

in season it's a lot but you're still sleeping in your bed 5-6 nights per week. offseason, there's only a few live period events a coach can even go to. I guarantee he's available for breakfast or dinner with the family a few hundred times a year more than I was when mine were growing up.
Possibly, but have to think D-1 coaches are working 80 plus hour weeks during the season. That is a lot, his kids are young, they are only this age once, and when you don't have to worry about $$$ as he doesn't, the world is really your oyster.

I think he is back as he said he would be, but also think he has a lot of time to think and reflect in the next few months while he is recuperating and maybe that steers him into a different direction.

One thing that I think we need to consider that is not out of the realm of possibility is that this health scare for Mooney causes him to evaluate his future life. The life of college basketball coach is super stressful, requires long hours away from your family, and so maybe he comes out of this with a different perspective on how he wants to live the rest of his life. He certainly has made enough $$$ in his 18 years of coaching that he literally can have any option on the table that he wants.
Agreed - I think maybe a re-evaluation, especially if stress, travel, and working long hours is going to be bad for his heart going forward.

Stresses of college coaching - I think that all depends on where you are and what your aspirations are. If you at a school that demands NCAA appearances on a regular basis, say like VCU - then I am sure a guy like Rhoades is working a lot, recruiting, and etc and spends a considerable amount of time away from his family. If your at a school where that is not required, then maybe you can take it easier, but that all depends on the person.

I think Mooney works hard and I think the stress is real. I think you could see the stress and relief with him and his family last year after winning the A10 title. It is there. And for someone who has been coaching almost 20 years, and a good portion of those years have been at nearly 1 million a year - he may begin to ask himself - how much longer do I want to do this? Or how much longer should I do this?

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Isn't this thread very disrespectful to Coach Mooney? He hasn't even had his surgery yet! Please lock it admins.

Reactions: urfan1
Being excited for Peter Thomas is one thing; speculation about Mooney's health and future not a good thing...............

Possibly, but have to think D-1 coaches are working 80 plus hour weeks during the season. That is a lot, his kids are young, they are only this age once, and when you don't have to worry about $$$ as he doesn't, the world is really your oyster.

I think he is back as he said he would be, but also think he has a lot of time to think and reflect in the next few months while he is recuperating and maybe that steers him into a different direction.
Maybe contemplate rebounding? 😊

Just kidding of course - but you have to admit, this is likely creeping in the back of the minds like Hardt.
I think the main things that creep into Hardt's mind are keeping Queally's pocketbook open and what he is eating for the next meal. Game planning our MBB long term succession plan is probably not on his radar cause that will probably be someone else's problem to deal with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT