ruhoops.proboards.com
OK, let's get our guesses in for opening night starting five:

Guard - D. Hunt
Guard - B. Artis
Forward - AP
Forward - Dusan
Center - Walz

Guard 1 - Hunt seems to be the man by all indications
Guard 2 - I think this could go any number of ways. Could easily see Tyne or GW3 in there. Thinking B. Artis with most D1 experience leads early, Tyne has the Richmond experience/loyalty factor, and maybe GW3 is playing best in practice and gets the nod.
Forward - Could see a healthy Roche here, Tanner maybe - who knows. Hoping AP is so good he wins it day 1.
Forward - I feel like Dusan is heavy favorite here, with his experience, production/skill and size. Even if 100% don't see Soulis on game 1 starting. Beagle or Walz long shots IMO as will be splitting center role mostly I think.
Center - Could see this go either way I feel - but I like Walz' upward trajectory and 2 years behind him in the system for Day 1.

Seems like a season in which we could have four different starters a few weeks in, or later in the season, or maybe it varies week to week an match up. Who are your leaders for Game 1?

solid. I just think Beagle gets in the starting lineup but I think Walz has likely done enough to get the start as well so Moon rotates a big out at the 17m mark then the other back in at 13 and they alternate the rest of the half.

This is a very experienced lineup that should be able to be old from the get go.

Hunt
B. Artis
Nescovic
Beagle
Walz

Tyne check in at 17m mark for Beagle. AP checks in for Nescovic just after first media break and Tanner or Roche checks in for B. Artis at same time (whoever has won that spot.) GWIII gets in at about 11m mark as 4th guard. (so 9-man rotation backups are Tyne, AP, Tanner/Roche, GWIII.)

If against a weaker team and we have a big lead, Moon goes to a 10th rotation player - whichever of Roche or Tanner who didn't win that second wing reserve spot.

Can't wait for spiderman to refute my double big lineup.

Can't wait for spiderman to refute my double big lineup.
100.webp

:D

Guard - D. Hunt
Guard - M. Tyne
Forward - C. Tanner (!)
Forward - Dusan
Center - Walz

Agree, sman, we would need boards from Dusan with this lineup. He should be fine with his size. I have heard some talk of Roche starting with 2 smaller guards, so if Roche could start, why couldn't GW3?

All off season we keep hearing GW3 is shooting the lights out. Let's find out right away if he will keep that going and do just that when the season starts. We have gotten off to too many slow starts in the past few years. Let's start the game with shooting all over the floor, and if we need to make size adjustments, we can.

most teams that say they're playing 3 guards have a guy they call a guard who's at least 6'5" or 6'6".
like my lineup with Tanner at the 3. on our roster we call him a guard but he's 6'6".
Yes, I hear you, but the way most of them play, they can handle and shoot without a lot of inside stuff. So, that makes them guardable for a smaller guy like GW3, who could actually use his quickness defensively to bother a taller guy more than a taller guy might. And, I do remember seeing a lot of lineups from teams where their 3rd smallest guy was 6'4 or less, including Duquesne, who won the A-10 tourney and a 1st round dance game last year.

Last edited:
Yes, I hear you, but the way most of them play, they can handle and shoot without a lot of inside stuff. So, that makes them guardable for a smaller guy like GW3, who could actually use his quickness defensively to bother a taller guy more than a taller guy might. And, I do remember seeing a lot of lineups from teams where their 3rd smallest guy was 6'4 or less, including Duquesne, who won the A-10 tourney and a 1st round dance game last year.
probably comes down to the earlier question ... who doesn't play?
if enough of the forwards (AP, Dusan, Tanner, Roche, Robinson, McGlothin, maybe Beagle) are really good and earn time, then we won't need to play a 6'2" guy there. but if GW3 is the best option, then we will.

Reactions: gospidersgo
my issue with the 3 guards is that we don't have a repeat of seasons where it felt like teams were getting very good looks from 3 all the time bc they were just shooting over our small guards. Tyne does help there - as does Hunt - by being plus defenders who can at least be near shooters most of the time. But on rotation close outs, small guys are not much of a distraction.

EDIT - I'm not opposed to 3 guards, just fyi, esp if we have plus shooters on the court on offense.

Reactions: gospidersgo
My starting 5 would like like this. I am very high on B. Artis and Collin Tanner. I think that B. Artis can be our go to scorer, probably not at a King type of level but still. He's a very quick good, smooth handle, can shoot the ball on a high clip and I think he's going to suprise some people and teams this year. I think C Tanner is going to have a breakout year this year too, he has good size, can shoot the lights out and he is a good defender and athlete, he can take over that glue guy role that Bailey to an extent had last year but I think tanner is going to be up for the A10 most improved this year.

Hunt
B. Artis
Tanner
Dusan
Walz

Last edited:
I'm going to go with a transfer-heavy starting 5. I'm very high on GW3 based on his pedigree. Haven't seen him in person, but I'd be surprised if he transfers down from Michigan and doesn't get the first crack at a starting role.

G - DeLonnie
G- GW3
F- Dusan
F - Roumoglou
C - Beagle

Bench - B. Artis, Walz, and Tyne see significant time as the first guys off the bench. Tanner is a real question mark - I think he has the opportunity to see significant time with his size and versatility, but don't see big minutes happening right away. Roche will also be in the mix, but unsure how healthy he'll be coming off his surgery.

Like others have said, this is the most competition we've had for minutes in quite some time. Excited to see how this shakes out. For those who are able to attend the NIL preview event, would love to hear what insights you grab from that.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
G-Hunt
G-Tyne
F- AP
F-Dusan
C-Beagle

Second guard position and the 3 are tough. I think Tyne showed enough last year to start this year. Makes us small up front though.

Reactions: urfan1
We are talking about the first starting lineup for the Mount Olive game right? I don’t have any concern about rebounding in that game. It is an ”everybody plays” game and the starters are going to all be returning players in my version.

Hunt
Tyne
Tanner
Soulis
Walz

Soulis is the most questionable one since he was out all of last year, but I am going with the time in program as being the deciding factor.

Tyne had a lot of positives as a freshman, but he didn't shoot well at all last year. He was 21-78 (26.9%) from 3 last year and only 27-72(37.5%) from 2. His 39% eFG% was lowest for the rotation guys by a good margin. And, he was usually pretty open when he shot.

His shot did look good to me and I kept waiting for a mini hot streak that never happened. Hopefully, he will knock more down this year because he does add a lot elsewhere out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT