ADVERTISEMENT

OOC true road games under Mooney

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
Building off my theory that the outcomes of our out of conference road games are entirely too predictable, I decided to look at every OOC road game we have ever played under Mooney. Here is what I found:

• We are 25-48 in these games.

• Of our 25 wins, only 5 were against teams who had winning records in those seasons (JMU in 2012 and 2016, W&M in 2013, Wofford and UNI in 2021).

• The combined records of the 25 teams we beat in the seasons we beat them was 312-462.

• Our “best” OOC road win in his career was probably the Kentucky win, but maybe not, since they ended up 9-16 that year. Other than that? The others that I named, plus wins over Arizona State when they went 12-19, Wake a couple times when they were 13-18 and 13-19, and Seton Hall when they were 13-18.

From this, I think it's fair to conclude that we almost never beat any decent or good OOC teams on the road. I'm not sure what our expectations should be, but mine are higher than this. UNI appears to be a bad team, so I will give us a 60-40 shot of winning that game.

Last edited:
if you have some context on how other teams - let's say Davidson - have done in true road games since they joined the A10, that would be helpful. Road games are tough. Offhand, though, I would like to think we could beat some winning teams (that are not former CAA rivals) without having to have our best class ever in an NCAA season.

Agree with all of that. I haven't had a chance to look but will see if I can run through a few others. With 19 years of history, it just seems like we would have lucked our way into one or two upsets at some point.

Reactions: fatherspider
wonder how Richmond's OOC road wins compare to VCU. The lack of quality OOC wins year in and year out is exactly the reason why we almost never have a shot at an at-large bid to the NCAA. Practically every year under Mooney, we have to win the A10 tourney to get in.
55% baby!!

Reactions: wr70beh
Thanks for putting that together. Sadly the record is not unexpected which is why its not rational for us fans to feel confident going into a game like last night’s.
Mooney has spoken so long about “how tough it is to win on the road” that he has convinced himself, his staff, and his players that they shouldn’t expect to win.
Thats his mode for survival… keep expectations low, and it has worked for him.

wonder how Richmond's OOC road wins compare to VCU. The lack of quality OOC wins year in and year out is exactly the reason why we almost never have a shot at an at-large bid to the NCAA. Practically every year under Mooney, we have to win the A10 tourney to get in.
55% baby!!
The way UR schedules, the OOC games are just tune up games for the A10 season. I was hopeful with so many “non-system” guys we might see something new, but alas that was not to be. The good news is the A10 is still a conference where the talent the Spiders has can still finish in the Top 4. It is all about the conference race as stated @SpiderRick.

In last 13 years how many times have we realistically put ourselves in at large consideration after the OOC schedule is complete??

I'd say once. '19-20. If there is another let me hear it bc not coming to mind. 1 in 13 should not happen. beyond frustrating.

In last 13 years how many times have we realistically put ourselves in at large consideration after the OOC schedule is complete??

I'd say once. '19-20. If there is another let me hear it bc not coming to mind. 1 in 13 should not happen. beyond frustrating.
I’d say that’s correct, we have not been in a real bubble or better spot other than 2020. I think we were a surprise first four out in 2015 but I don’t recall thinking we had a real shot that year.

You’d think we would have lucked into a bubble worthy ooc more than once by now.

Last edited:
I’d say that’s correct, we have not be in a real bubble or better spot other than 2020. I think we were a surprise first four out in 2015 but I don’t recall thinking we had a real shot that year.

You’d think we would have lucked into a bubble worthy ooc more than once by now.
Were were 7-6 OOC that year. definitely not a good enough OOC. Got into mix late. But after we choked away that VCU game in Barclays nobody had us in. Btw I think I'd rank that as the most dissappointing excruciatingly sad Spiders loss I've seen live in person.

It feels like every team in the country has probably started the season 7-1 or 8-2 at some point in the past two decades. Have we ever done something like that under Mooney? JMU is like 8-0 right now and ranked 18th in the nation. Ho hum. We are 5-4, like we pretty much always are after 9 games, no matter the players, the opponents or the locations of the games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT