ADVERTISEMENT

OOC games 2017-2018

Love this tweet...

16760x5.jpg

He's not totally wrong though...field is pretty lame overall.
All the more reason for the Spiders to win it.

Here's what we have with the schedule so far, just to update:

Home:
Vermont
JMU
Cayman tournament preliminary team
Bucknell
Delaware
Oral Roberts (?)

Away:
Wake Forest
ODU
Boston College

Neutral: (3 of 7)
UAB (first game)
Cincinnati (possibly 2nd game)
Buffalo (possibly 2nd game)
Iowa (possibly 3rd game)
UL-Lafayette (possibly 3rd game)
Wyoming (possibly 3rd game)
SDST (possibly 3rd game)

--

Looks like we are short on away games. Hopefully we can play some strong teams on their court

Last edited:
Here's the bracket for visual learners. So ya, each team gets a preliminary round home game, presumably against a low major unfortunately. Then they all head to the Caymans for three games.

We face UAB, then winner or loser of Cinci/Buffalo depending on our outcome. The 2-0 teams from each side of the bracket then face off for the championship, teams that won first game and lost second game face off for 3rd/4th, teams that lost first game and won second game face off for 5th/6th, and the 0-2 teams meet for 7th/8th.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...17/misc_non_event/2017CaymanIslandClassic.pdf
Completely irrelevant observation, but...

With the Cajuns new name, it looks like cities on one side of the bracket, states on the other...

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiders05
Completely irrelevant observation, but...

With the Cajuns new name, it looks like cities on one side of the bracket, states on the other...

Outside of Iowa and Cincy, I would agree the tournament is a bit lacking. But there is some potential for some good wins with some of the other teams involved. Obviously, if we don't get the chance to play Iowa or Cincy though, we are missing are one big shot at a really big win. Much like the tournament our OOC schedule has potential for some good wins but certainly no games that stand out for us to get a really signature win on our resume. Wake is probably the biggest name on the schedule now.

Here's what we have with the schedule so far, just to update:

Home:
Vermont
JMU
Cayman tournament preliminary team
Bucknell
Oral Roberts (?)

Away:
Wake Forest
ODU
Boston College

Neutral: (3 of 7)
UAB (first game)
Cincinnati (possibly 2nd game)
Buffalo (possibly 2nd game)
Iowa (possibly 3rd game)
UL-Lafayette (possibly 3rd game)
Wyoming (possibly 3rd game)
SDST (possibly 3rd game)

--

Looks like we are short on away games. Hopefully we can play some strong teams on their court
Is Delaware at home accurate? and any chance it is part of Cayman?

Are we up to 12 OOC games? I hope we can get to 13, would love to see another top 100 opponent.

Here's what I believe has been confirmed so far. I assume we're still looking for 1-2 more games.

11/10 Delaware
11/20 UAB*
11/21 Cincinnati/Buffalo*
11/22 TBD*
11/29 Vermont
12/2 at Wake Forest
12/6 at ODU
12/9 JMU
TBD Cayman Preliminary Game
TBD Bucknell
TBD at Boston College

* Cayman Islands

Not good at all. How does this schedule help us get into the tournament without having to just about sweep all of our OOC games?

Vermont (45 last year), Wake (43) and Bucknell (66) are likely all top 100 teams next year, as are 2 of our Caymen island opponents, and potentially ODU (135, only needs to be 135 to count as a top 100 away game) as well. Having 5 or 6 of our 11 games be against top 100 competition is a pretty strong schedule, and if we add one or two more it might be the most top 100 OOC games we have ever had. We usually have 3-5.

Last edited:
Vermont (45 last year), Wake (43) and Bucknell (66) are likely all top 100 teams next year, as are 2 of our Caymen island opponents, and potentially ODU (135, only needs to be 135 to count as a top 100 away game) as well. Having 5 or 6 of our 11 games be against top 100 competition is a pretty strong schedule, and if we add one or two more it might be the most top 100 OOC games we have ever had. We usually have 3-5.
What is our "this season OOC" Mean "Kempom rank from last season" so far?

Someone calculated LaSalle 117.818, Duquesne 264.692

Last edited:
What is our this season OOC Mean Kempom rank from last season so far?

Someone calculated LaSalle 117.818, Duquesne 264.692

Ours is currently 138, but the mean doesn't tell you as much as the number of top 100 opponents. Our average is being held back by JMU, Delaware, UAB and BC, but we still have a lot of good opponents.

We still need to get 1 good BCS away game in my opinion. We are counting on a bunch of "fringy" teams to all have good seasons. We drew an inside straight a few years ago on a schedule like this, so that is possible. Add an away game at Florida or a school like that and I like this schedule. And please get 13 games, there are no reasons to not to have 13 games.

We still need to get 1 good BCS away game in my opinion. We are counting on a bunch of "fringy" teams to all have good seasons. We drew an inside straight a few years ago on a schedule like this, so that is possible. Add an away game at Florida or a school like that and I like this schedule. And please get 13 games, there are no reasons to not to have 13 games.
Running a little late. It seems only 23 of 75 BCS (including Big East) haven't announced their OOC.
176 of 276 other teams haven't announced...

Hasn't the NCAA re-weighted the conference schedules giving more weight to road wins vs. home wins. If that's the case the play anyone anywhere makes more sense.

So the highest ranked team we play of the ones you listed is Wake at 43. Only 64 teams truly make the tournament (forget the ridiculous play-in games). While these help, they are not top 25 teams (except for probably Cincinnati). Nobody is going to vote us into the tournament for defeating 43, 45, 66, 80 and 90. Where is that signature win we can point to?

So the highest ranked team we play of the ones you listed is Wake at 43. Only 64 teams truly make the tournament (forget the ridiculous play-in games). While these help, they are not top 25 teams (except for probably Cincinnati). Nobody is going to vote us into the tournament for defeating 43, 45, 66, 80 and 90. Where is that signature win we can point to?

Maybe you are forgetting our potential Cayman Island opponents? Cincinnati is a top 25 team, Iowa is top 100, maybe top 50. Either way, there are teams that get at large bids without OOC top 25 wins every year. Providence, Wake, Kansas St., Xavier, Marquette, Oklahoma St. and many other at large teams had no OOC top 25 wins last year. VCU and Wichita State had no top 25 wins at all! We usually have 3-5 top 50 teams in the A10 including 1-3 top 25 teams giving us more opportunities for top 50 and top 25 wins in conference.

How about we just beat the teams on our schedule and see what happens.

We still need to get 1 good BCS away game in my opinion. We are counting on a bunch of "fringy" teams to all have good seasons. Add an away game at Florida or a school like that and I like this schedule. And please get 13 games, there are no reasons to not to have 13 games.

Agree 97 no doubt 13 is better and someway possible both away with P5/6 schools. From I read here the tourney committee will give more credence to AWAY WINS. So for me it goes back to forget those few home cupcakes OOC games and play away. I'll say it again, go the John Chaney Temple way.

Sorry if the season ticket holders get less games to attend but would be more enjoyable to watch Spiders play more in March on TV at least. And lastly I know that numbers game about Spider OOC wins against non P5/6 opponents who end the season ranked higher than predicted helping. But no one can tell me those guys in that room always give the nod for everything from A/Z regarding P5/6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT