ADVERTISEMENT

OOC games 2017-2018

I seem to remember reading somewhere we are going to be in a pretty decent tournament.

Dang it! my Copy/Paste wasn't working properly...I buzzed in first...Dang it!

Mite - I am more than willing to share the "glory" ...................fwiw.............of posting "first" about the Cayman Islands Classic - but better than that would be being in the Cayman Islands...................

Flights out of Dulles start at $501.44. Could be fun! Roll Spide!

I was told that we are playing a CAA team from outside the state of Virginia. Unclear if it's a buy game or a home and home. I suspect the latter.

Compared to some of those other tournaments, the Cayman Islands Extravaganza is just so-so. The Phil Knight-a-palooza looks pretty good.

We need to play both Cincinnati and Iowa for the tournament to be good, but we may end up playing only one, or possibly neither if we lose our first game.

We need to play both Cincinnati and Iowa for the tournament to be good, but we may end up playing only one, or possibly neither if we lose our first game.

At least we don't have to swallow a couple 250+ RPI games to get there.

We should get 1 Top 50 and 2 games between 100-200 rpi out of it. Could be better than than. I'll take it.

Unimpressive home OoC schedule so far- probably add Bucknell to that list
Only 1 P5 team in Cayman tournament and Cincinnati. Hopefully you get to play one or both.
Thank goodness the Robins family endowed that faculty chair at Wake or we wouldn't have that game.
At this point SOS looks weak
Upside is that the weak schedule should produce wins if the Board's talent evaluators are correct and we should at least get another NIT banner

One of the benefits of A10 & a long-tenured, well-respected coach is supposed to be a decent OOC schedule. Forget the home slate, from a season ticket holders perspective, which over the past few years has included Stetson, High Point, IUPUI, Delaware, Northern Iowa, Coppin State, Presbyterian, UMBC, Longwood and Bethune-Cookman. Putting that aside, where are the marquis home-and-homes? Where's Princeton for heaven's sake? Gill went to Duke and worked at Vanderbilt & Oklahoma, so what about them? We have had athletic relationships with NC State, UVA, and BC. Would not have Jim Larranga, Anthony Grant, or Shaka have picked up the phone? After all of these years, there should be an extensive web (sorry) of Spider contacts throughout the NCAA that could be leveraged...

One of the benefits of A10 & a long-tenured, well-respected coach is supposed to be a decent OOC schedule. Forget the home slate, from a season ticket holders perspective, which over the past few years has included Stetson, High Point, IUPUI, Delaware, Northern Iowa, Coppin State, Presbyterian, UMBC, Longwood and Bethune-Cookman. Putting that aside, where are the marquis home-and-homes? Where's Princeton for heaven's sake? Gill went to Duke and worked at Vanderbilt & Oklahoma, so what about them? We have had athletic relationships with NC State, UVA, and BC. Would not have Jim Larranga, Anthony Grant, or Shaka have picked up the phone? After all of these years, there should be an extensive web (sorry) of Spider contacts throughout the NCAA that could be leveraged...
Princeton is a excellent point. Maybe Mooney doesn't donate.

I thought that I heard or read somewhere that the Indians would be back on the schedule next year. Not sure whether it is true...maybe just a rumor.

It's tough to get quality home games, so I would like us to adopt the approach of going anywhere to play anyone. One signature road win can mean a lot for your tournament resume. And the more shots you have at one, the more likely you are to get one.

Would like to see us play Vandy and Princeton in OOC, Miami, too. We used to play Iona, they have a decent program. Don't mind playing Bucknell, they went to the NCAA's this year, and I'd like to beat them for once. I do think our OOC schedule the past 2 or 3 years has been lackluster compared to the recent past (Florida, Kansas, Purdue, Cal, AZ State, UCLA, et al).

I sure hope we have called Xavier about a home-and-home, after what we did for them this year.

It's tough to get quality home games, so I would like us to adopt the approach of going anywhere to play anyone. One signature road win can mean a lot for your tournament resume. And the more shots you have at one, the more likely you are to get one.
To be clear, this lack of focus - or ability to close - regarding scheduling is not entirely or even mostly to blame. Aside from a VCU split, 2 or 3 last minute-ish losses seem to keep us out every year: 2017 Oral Roberts & Maryland; 2016 JMU, WVU, Dayton; 2015 Wake & Northeastern; 2014 UNC, Wake (remember that one?), Ohio. It doesn't help to consistently have such little room for error, but the pattern of these close games needs to change.

Another strategy is to schedule as many top-100 teams as possible at home. VCU took this approach and sadly it worked. Princeton was a top-100 win for them at home. MTSU, same thing.

If we have Bucknell at home next year, that's a great example of this type of game. Solid teams that have a chance to win their conferences, but the kind that would be willing to come play us because it's a step up for them, too.

Looks like they only lose 2 20 min players (a SG & a SF) off a 28-5 46 RPI team from last year. And Cayo gets to see what he is not missing...

Last edited:
So is this the known OOC schedule as of today.... with last year's RPI rankings compliments of ESPN.

Home (3)
Vermont (46)
JMU (258)
Oral Roberts (292)

Away (2)
Wake Forest (40)
ODU (138)

Neutral (3 of 7)
Cincinnati (12)
Iowa (81)
UL-Lafayette (115)
Buffalo (146)
Wyoming (151)
SDST (155)
UAB (200)

Vermont is a great OOC game. We need more games like that of teams who aren't big names but have solid RPI. Middle Tennessee State available?

So is this the known OOC schedule as of today.... with last year's RPI rankings compliments of ESPN.

Home (3)
Vermont (46)
JMU (258)
Oral Roberts (292)

Away (2)
Wake Forest (40)
ODU (138)

Neutral (3 of 7)
Cincinnati (12)
Iowa (81)
UL-Lafayette (115)
Buffalo (146)