ADVERTISEMENT

OOC games 2017-2018

Pretty good pickup...the Catamounts should be good again next year.

Wow, UVM on the schedule. Played there 58-62. They should be solid again next year. Tres Belle Haynes (g) and Anthony Lamb (pf) are special players. Becker's teams are well coached and generally go 7-8 deep. Have no insight to freshman class. Should be a fun game.

Wow, UVM on the schedule. Played there 58-62. They should be solid again next year. Tres Belle Haynes (g) and Anthony Lamb (pf) are special players. Becker's teams are well coached and generally go 7-8 deep. Have no insight to freshman class. Should be a fun game.
You were there during the Benny Becton era? Very nice!

You were there during the Benny Becton era? Very nice!
Yes indeed. Benny was a great kid, and player we had our share of laughs. He had a game at Maine my last year scoring 31 with 29 rebounds, and we lost. Game was on TV and the ref, named Gentile, let them beat the crap out of Benny. He made every call in the game and would run to the TV camera to get face time when he made the calls. Had a near riot when our bench erupted object to the calls and the local cops grabbed a couple of our kids and pulled them into room off the court. I managed to get a little of my own face time Mr. Gentile in the parking lot after the game.

Schedule update from JOC. No mention of Oral Roberts return game and confirmation of Bucknell are the new tidbits.
In non-conference competition, Richmond will compete in an eight-team tournament in the Cayman Islands Nov. 20-22. UR will play three games. The other participants are Cincinnati, Iowa, Wyoming, UAB, Lousiana (formerly Louisiana Lafayette), South Dakota State, and Buffalo.

The Spiders will play at Boston College, at Wake Forest, and at Old Dominion. At home, UR will meet Vermont, Bucknell, and James Madison. UR is still in search of more games.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/soll...cle_795f19d3-f27c-5f80-97bd-6cffecd86860.html

No reason for a return game from ORU. I thought we had just picked that one up because we needed one and it was close to Texas for our Texas guys.

JOC may have neglected to include in article by mistake, or it got postponed a year. Pretty certain it was a home-&-home deal and reported as such. Oral Roberts isn't in position to buy that game either. They're not a buyer in the OOC. Plus I would say Tx Tech the year before was our "Texas" players game. So I can't imagine us flying across the country for ORU w/o return. Makes no sense BUT...we've also been short 1 OOC game the last two years so butchering the scheduling cant be dismissed either.

No reason for a return game from ORU. I thought we had just picked that one up because we needed one and it was close to Texas for our Texas guys.

Playing ORU is a lose-lose situation. We either beat them and our RPI falls, or we lose to them and our RPI falls even more

Yeah, whatever the situation, I don't want to play them next year. Their program is a mess and it would hurt us either way. A few years back, that would have been a good game.

Really wish we hadn't taken that game last year...another hole in the schedule would have been better, obviously.

Hindsight 20/20 and all that.

Reactions: Eight Legger
thx mite. I probably had those posts from the ORU folks on my mind re: home & home. IF we had played them at home not a lose-lose that hurts us either way unless you guys are advocating for never scheduling RPI anchor ever again. Not very realistic everyone has a few. Just got to be smart and minimize. ORU is no different than having Longwood, VMI, or Radford. VMI I guess brings fans. But statistically ORU is often better than those programs. Even last year when they stunk. And it brings an atypical game/school that adds a little variety.

Heck we seem to be scrambling for games so much recently much better to have as return game. 1 less game to worry about scheduling and it could easily fill in for some of our typical low rpi buy games. Kind of weird and embarrassing going out to ORU for 1 game imo. And no self-respecting Texan would call a game in Oklahoma a "home" game. From Dallas to Tulsa is like driving from Richmond to Pitt. And we just had the TX Tech game, a series that has value regardless of location, in their junior year. we laid a gigantic egg out there we certainly didn't play like it was a homecoming game.

Just as likely it's poor scheduling. Adding the BC and Vermont is solid so we're off to better start but # of games still to come.

Reactions: urfan1
Okay 12 years into the Mooney era and I am still trying to figure out who in the department is responsible for basketball scheduling?

We were one game short the last two years and this coming year it appears we are 4 short 5 months out from the start of the season. Most of the OOC schedules have been lackluster and unappealing. Consequently, I have surmised the following:

1) We can eliminate Mooney because we know he is just the coach and is not responsible for any aspect of the program.
2) We know it is not Gill because we know he did nothing during his tenure of AD.
3) We can't blame Jamal Brunt because he is gone.
4) We know it is not any of the posters on this board because of our vast knowledge and contacts within the world of bb who if endowed with the power and resources would have 3 top 20 teams at the Robins Center every year.

With all of these eliminated, I think we should just blame it on the admissions department since they seem to be the main villain preventing us from attaining our rightful place among the basketball elite. Seriously, would someone please ask the question of Mooney, Crutcher, Bob Black, David Walsh who is responsible so we would all know who to direct our complaints?

Last edited:
Pairings for A10 games comes out today. I don't expect too much change from our home & home group of VCU, GW, Davidson, Goo Moos and Fordham.

Only difference with our home and home from previous years is we play St. Louis twice instead of Fordham. I like this for our schedule. St. Louis - with their new recruits and transfers - will be a better team for our RPI and SOS

Until we win a couple of A-10 tournaments and get some consistency in the top 3, our pairings are never going to improve. St. Louis may be loaded this year, but the reason we're scheduled them twice is because they've been bad. They're not a draw to the RC based on name recognition, and we're not going to sell out the RC ahead of time like we would for a Dayton. Dayton is going to be our big draw this year outside of VCU.

Reactions: localspider
Until we win a couple of A-10 tournaments and get some consistency in the top 3, our pairings are never going to improve. St. Louis may be loaded this year, but the reason we're scheduled them twice is because they've been bad. They're not a draw to the RC based on name recognition, and we're not going to sell out the RC ahead of time like we would for a Dayton. Dayton is going to be our big draw this year outside of VCU.

Do you have any reason to believe the schedules are based on previous season performance? To me it seems they are based mostly off proximity with a rotating partner or two determined somewhat randomly. SLU has a good chance to be the best team of our home and home games next year, I highly doubt that the A10 scheduled them with us as some sort of punishment for not finishing in the top 3, especially when we have finished in the top 3 in 2 of the past 3 seasons.

Until we win a couple of A-10 tournaments and get some consistency in the top 3, our pairings are never going to improve. St. Louis may be loaded this year, but the reason we're scheduled them twice is because they've been bad.

Never? Our pairing literally just did improve. We swapped Fordham for St Louis. big improvement. The A10 does projection with these pairings. Yes St Louis has been bad recently but everyone knows they are expected to make a jump. Fan2011 is right, most of it is geographical/rivalry, so our 4 of VCU, GW, Goo Moos, & Davidson won't really change often. I expect we'll always have 3 of those 4. I don't think the last 1 or 2 are random however, I think there is definite projection by A10 to ensure teams are getting enough good rpi games & balance. I don't know where we'll be picked but I still expect top half so they give us another top half type team like SLU to go along with vcu & davidson. GW & Mason aren't expected to be top half.

We have 4 geographic based pairings, GW, VCU, Mason, and Davidson. And then we have 1 rotating home and home that I believe the league matches up for resume enhancement purposes. They want the top teams in the league going at twice if they can. Hence, VCU and Dayton get to play twice again. There has to be some competitive balance though, you wouldn't want VCU, Dayton, and Rhody all playing each other twice. In my mind, we got a slight upgrade this year in switching out Fordham for St. Louis.

Reactions: wr70beh
not sure having the top teams playing each other twice enhances the leagues chances at extra bids. one of the top teams gets a loss each time two top teams play.

not sure having the top teams playing each other twice enhances the leagues chances at extra bids. one of the top teams gets a loss each time two top teams play.
The theory, for what is worth, is that one of top teams gets a top 50 win each time two top teams plays. But it is a double edged sword.

Still early - but right now the schedule is not looking great.

We may have to go back to the Wainwright thinking of scheduling and just schedule anyone, anywhere, anytime. Unfortunately given our poor performance lately - we are not in a position to command a good home and home series with a top level program that we can count on being good for the next few years.

We are more likely in a position where we may need to play some away games with no return and get some money in return.

The tourney we are in is so-so at best.

it is still early, but based on this schedule - there is a lot of hope involved that some of these bad teams from last year improve greatly this upcoming year - or we accumulate a lot of wins in the OOC.

We may have to go back to the Wainwright thinking of scheduling and just schedule anyone, anywhere, anytime. Unfortunately given our poor performance lately - we are not in a position to command a good home and home series with a top level program that we can count on being good for the next few years.

We are more likely in a position where we may need to play some away games with no return and get some money in return.

it is still early, but based on this schedule - there is a lot of hope involved that some of these bad teams from last year improve greatly this upcoming year - or we accumulate a lot of wins in the OOC.
Au contraire. The schedule is fine; just win, baby!

That's exactly my point. How can you say they'll be the top 2 teams next year with 2 new head coaches and, for one team, a bunch of new players? I'm not a big fan of top 2 teams getting home and home.

I only said we didn't get a good matchup based on St. Louis position in the league. St. Louis wasn't chosen to play us based on "oh they may be good", but it's more of a formula that the A10 used. Granted we lucked out in theory, but it easily could have been Duq in that spot.

Mite - I am more than willing to share the "glory" ...................fwiw.............of posting "first" about the Cayman Islands Classic - but better than that would be being in the Cayman Islands...................
In addition to Spider basketball, you can check out the bikinis!

how about we decide how good and/or bad the OOC schedule is next december.

Not bad. The way I interpret this, if we win we play the Cincy-Buffalo winner next, so potentially a solid game against UC.

"In the first game of the evening session, Richmond plays UAB at 5 p.m. Buffalo and Cincinnati will conclude opening-day action in the final matchup starting at 7:30 p.m.

Semifinal round games are slated for 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. the following day, Tuesday, Nov. 21."

Here's the bracket for visual learners. So ya, each team gets a preliminary round home game, presumably against a low major unfortunately. Then they all head to the Caymans for three games.

We face UAB, then winner or loser of Cinci/Buffalo depending on our outcome. The 2-0 teams from each side of the bracket then face off for the championship, teams that won first game and lost second game face off for 3rd/4th, teams that lost first game and won second game face off for 5th/6th, and the 0-2 teams meet for 7th/8th.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...17/misc_non_event/2017CaymanIslandClassic.pdf

Here's the bracket for visual learners. So ya, each team gets a preliminary round home game, presumably against a low major unfortunately. Then they all head to the Caymans for three games.

We face UAB, then winner or loser of Cinci/Buffalo depending on our outcome. The 2-0 teams from each side of the bracket then face off for the championship, teams that won first game and lost second game face off for 3rd/4th, teams that lost first game and won second game face off for 5th/6th, and the 0-2 teams meet for 7th/8th.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...17/misc_non_event/2017CaymanIslandClassic.pdf

Kinda hopin' it was Vermont...;)

Love this tweet...

16760x5.jpg

He's not totally wrong though...field is pretty lame overall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT