ADVERTISEMENT

no signs Richmond will extend contract of hoops coach

Funny. The Ulla noted some time ago that Coach Mooney and AD Hart were meeting at 9:00am many mornings. These conversations were held shortly after the end of the season. I support our coaches, but our new AD has been active for quite some time, as I stated some time ago. Nothing new here if you were listening to my posts.

Some time ago, I broke the very big scoop that employees often have meetings with their supervisors. Ya'll just won't listen.

I for one am glad JOC wrote this article. His job is to report on Richmond basketball and what is relevant to our program and what UR fans/general richmond public that follows local sports will be interested in reading about. Each sports writer across the country will have something unique to write about. They don’t all have to cover the same topics. To me, it is newsworthy that Mooney didn’t get a contract extension, which I was happy to read, since his employment as our head coach is a very talked about topic among our fanbase in case anyone hasn’t noticed. Also, given how Mooney has received a contract extension almost annually, the fact the fact he didn’t receive one this year is something newsworthy to make note of and indicative that all eyes are on him to start producing better results.
Bummer for him. It's not happening this coming season. I sure hope a coach from a smaller program that's a players' coach is hired. We need a strong UR in this conference.

Funny. The Ulla noted some time ago that Coach Mooney and AD Hart were meeting at 9:00am many mornings. These conversations were held shortly after the end of the season. I support our coaches, but our new AD has been active for quite some time, as I stated some time ago. Nothing new here if you were listening to my posts.
"The Ulla"

Oh, but it IS believable. Dang shame.
It is believable because it is the reality of our program right now. Jeff Jones is doing an amazing job at ODU, particularly considering how he has had to deal with the transition to CUSA, a move made to for football reasons but was not a good move for their hoops program.

Meanwhile, we moved up to the A-10 to improve our hoops program, pay our coach twice as much, and get what we are getting right now.

I know Jones has some baggage but admire the job he is doing at ODU and wonder if he could be on a list of potential candidate for our hopefully open position next spring.

Jeff Jones is coaching in a weaker conference than the A-10 and has not taken ODU to the NCAA tourney in his 5 years there. Before that, he was at American and took them to 2 NCAA tourneys in 13 seasons, 12 of which were in the Patriot League, which is one of the weakest conferences out there.

Jeff Jones is coaching in a weaker conference than the A-10 and has not taken ODU to the NCAA tourney in his 5 years there. Before that, he was at American and took them to 2 NCAA tourneys in 13 seasons, 12 of which were in the Patriot League, which is one of the weakest conferences out there.

I don't think doing anything that might close any potential employment doors down the road would be overly wise for you.

Reactions: spider23

Wes Miller is killing it at UNC-Wherever. Guy loves the game and has passion, and recruiting the hell out of it. Polar opposite of our freaking DOA limp coach. This is my guy. Watch him work. Hope Moon and Queally enjoyed a couple cocktails at the course today.

23, don't forget our immensely qualified associate head coach, who we nabbed from his previous posts of a "varsity assistant" and head JV coach at a Georgia High School. I'm sure that one whole year at Alabama-Huntsville though gave him all of the experience necessary to be second in command at an A-10 level program. Nothing like going out and getting the best most-qualified candidates to round out your coaching staff.

Sounds familiar
Ha, yeah. Truthers should love him then. For the record, I am not enamoured with Jeff Jones. I think our program can do a lot better. Just looking at what he has done that past 5 years at ODU, the money he is making makes me realize how little ROI we are getting from Moon Dog. We could be paying someone half as much to deliver this mediocre product. Hopefully, our big donors realize how much of their contributions we are p*ssing away with Mooney's contract, his assistant and everything else we invest in our hoops program to be a .500 program.

97 - record is at .50 in the history of our program, Mooney’s is .55... so your statement isn’t even worth acknowledgement..
You guys expectations are absurd and don’t even make sense...

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
This conversation is devolving into the familiar “56% career winning percentage”’refrain. That’s nothing new and I understand people’s frustration with it. To the original point, I think Hardt is taking a reasonable position that he expects more. Seems like something just about all fans can get behind.

97 - record is at .50 in the history of our program, Mooney’s is .55... so your statement isn’t even worth acknowledgement..
You guys expectations are absurd and don’t even make sense...
Yeah, after half of a career (and coming off a 12-win season), .550 is SO much better than .500, what an absurd exaggerator he must be.

ANYBODY who would expect a program to have a high winning percentage, play in the NCAA tournament consistently, and win championships o_O. Must be something wrong with the expectations if it isn't happening :rolleyes:

Now, where is my participation blue ribbon? I want the "I tried" trophy too.

The "weaker" conference argument doesn't hold water. Guess what. He had a weaker team competing against weaker teams. You have to consider his performance there. He won. Something Mooney has never been able to do at UR. I'll wager that most anyone here would be satisfied with Jeff being coach. It's not going to get much better.

Yeah, after half of a career (and coming off a 12-win season), .550 is SO much better than .500, what an absurd exaggerator he must be.

ANYBODY who would expect a program to have a high winning percentage, play in the NCAA tournament consistently, and win championships o_O. Must be something wrong with the expectations if it isn't happening :rolleyes:

I guess it boils down to expectations. In spite of what's been sunk into Mooney, the program, facilities, etc., there are still those who have tempered expectations. Forbid that after this many years of the same ole same ole, those expecting more would be considered out of bounds for wanting to exceed slightly over .500. If that's the case, why sink any more more investment into the program? Guess the thinking is that it required more $ to meet and stay at the norm.

The "weaker" conference argument doesn't hold water. Guess what. He had a weaker team competing against weaker teams. You have to consider his performance there. He won. Something Mooney has never been able to do at UR. I'll wager that most anyone here would be satisfied with Jeff being coach. It's not going to get much better.

If he had a weaker team against those weaker teams, wouldn't that be a problem of his own doing?

He won? What exactly did he win at ODU? Or American? He hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since 1995 at Virginia.

Mooney has never been able to win here? Never? So a Sweet 16 doesn't count as winning?

Satisfied here with JJ? Tbone said it best. You would lose a lot of money betting on that.

Yes, 55% is way better than 50%. 237-195 is a heck of a lot better than 216-216. It just is.

If he had a weaker team against those weaker teams, wouldn't that be a problem of his own doing?

He won? What exactly did he win at ODU? Or American? He hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since 1995 at Virginia.

Mooney has never been able to win here? Never? So a Sweet 16 doesn't count as winning?

Satisfied here with JJ? Tbone said it best. You would lose a lot of money betting on that.
By definition all of those teams in that league are weaker in comparison to the A10. My point was that success either place is an apples to apples comparison. He's done a nice job at Odius even with guys falling off the team and it a difficult rebuilding situation. Oh and he's been to the dance in recent history...I'll stay silent with the rest of this sentence.

I'm pretty sure there would be much happiness here if Mooney were to be replaced. We shall see. That day is coming quickly.

Maybe happiness from about 4 or 5 of you on here if we made a change. Not sure that is enough barking for the AD to make a change tho.

Maybe happiness from about 4 or 5 of you on here if we made a change. Not sure that is enough barking for the AD to make a change tho.
Hopefully the new AD is free thinking and objective in his analysis & conclusions. Also hope he has the wherewithal to do the right thing regardless of contrary thinking from money men. Bottom line - hope he will do the job & carry out the functions he was hired to do.

Reactions: VT4700
Hopefully the new AD is free thinking and objective in his analysis & conclusions. Also hope he has the wherewithal to do the right thing regardless of contrary thinking from money men. Bottom line - hope he will do the job & carry out the functions he was hired to do.
Et tu Brute!

i'm always amused by posts that state how many, or estimate how many, fans will be happy/sad if a particular event such as a coaching change were to happen.

Cool. I am glad I was able to amuse you. Better than upsetting you, right? Not sure I was estimating that much. Isn't it the same 4 or 5 who are always negative on here and asking for a change regardless of the thread?

i'm always amused by posts that state how many, or estimate how many, fans will be happy/sad if a particular event such as a coaching change were to happen.

I'm always amused by posts that get on someone for making estimates or opinions on a message board, when most, if not all, message boards are filled with nothing but opinions and estimates.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
I'm pretty sure there would be much happiness here if Mooney were to be replaced. We shall see. That day is coming quickly.
Your comment and my response was to excitement over hiring Jeff jones, which I’m certain is not a desirable outcome for most UR fans, CM supporters or not.

I'm always amused by posts that get on someone for making estimates or opinions on a message board, when most, if not all, message boards are filled with nothing but opinions and estimates.
Well said, and valid point -- I guess my amusement is more from those that give specific numbers or percentages. You can almost guarantee someone will jump in an say how far off they are.

Yes I understand much on this and every other message board is nothing but the posters opinion. I call it the modern day electronic water cooler.

Cool. I am glad I was able to amuse you. Better than upsetting you, right? Not sure I was estimating that much. Isn't it the same 4 or 5 who are always negative on here and asking for a change regardless of the thread?
Right, but understand, we are the tip of the iceberg!!! If your boy PQ steps down, change will be coming. Moon dog can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

Yes, 55% is way better than 50%. 237-195 is a heck of a lot better than 216-216. It just is.
Well, our AD just stated publicly that we need more winning. So, I guess to him, 55% is not quite good enough.

A quick summary of our history without checking...
1913-1933 mostly one coach 172-123 .583
1934-1980 5 coaches 535-588 .476
1981-2005 4 coaches 435-286 .603
2006-2018 1 coach 237-195 .549

A quick summary of our history without checking...
1913-1933 mostly one coach 172-123 .583
1934-1980 5 coaches 535-588 .476
1981-2005 4 coaches 435-286 .603
2006-2018 1 coach 237-195 .549

Most interesting note on that stat is we only had 5 coaches over a span of 46 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT