ADVERTISEMENT

no signs Richmond will extend contract of hoops coach

“Chris and I are on the same page regarding expectations for the men’s basketball program and are committed to providing our Spider student-athletes with outstanding educational and competitive opportunities while we strive and work toward our goal of achieving championship-level success for the program,” Hardt said in an email response to questions regarding Mooney’s contract and status.

So, I guess there are expectations. And that's the first time we've seen anything close to a goal being talked about in public.

Reactions: SpiderRick
I'm fine with wolves at my door as long as I'm free to walk out the back with millions in my portfolio.

Seriously though, it is winning time for Mooney. Let's have a big season fellas.
Roll Spide!

But again - with the loss of Fore and Buckingham, and Solly not panning out - we have another young and probably not deep team, or team that will rely heavily on newcomers for that depth and support of Grant, Gilyard, and Sherod. That is a good start - but I fear the dropoff from them to our 4th guy and so on to 5th-7th guys will be too great. And I don't even want to think about if one of them gets injured and misses any time this season - then we really struggle.

But what do you think Mooney has to win this year to get back on the extension train? We won 12 last year - even if he wins say 16-18 games this year, that again is no post-season, but very good improvement. Does that do it?

I think we have enough that somebody will show up and do well at 4-7. a lot of guys to choose from. can't imagine we miss on all.
but yeah ... top 3 have to stay healthy.

I am glad some article came out. Finally put some pressure on Mooney. We aren't having a winning season this upcoming year. We were 8 games below .500 last year. 6 new freshmen ONLY 3 upperclassmen next year. We all know how long it takes to learn the Princeton offense. At the most I see 16 wins that's dealing with reality.

Totally unnecessary article. I see no value in negative articles. Especially when it's just a writers opinion. Part of a long history of similar reporting by JOC. Anyone that needs to know this already does. And I don't think Mooney needs to read the paper to know this is a put up or shut up year.

Reactions: SpiderK
Totally unnecessary article. I see no value in negative articles. Especially when it's just a writers opinion. Part of a long history of similar reporting by JOC. Anyone that needs to know this already does. And I don't think Mooney needs to read the paper to know this is a put up or shut up year.

Well perhaps. But I also suspect that it was one of JOC's more 'clicked and shared' articles and that's important to his bosses, at least, and I don't think anything he wrote was factually inaccurate.

I don’t have high confidence that we will have a good season. I also find it hard to believe we will be as bad as last year but we lost some good talent that doesn’t have clearly reliable replacement. That suggests it could be another bleak season maybe.

If we have a losing season, I’m confident Mooney isn’t back. A NCAA/NIT berth gets him a year or two added back on. If he’s in the middle, no idea what’ll happen.

Last edited:
He had a Wednesday conversation with Mooney and there are no quotes. Hmm.
It's probably because of the topic of the article (Mooney declined comment on his contract), so maybe we'll see what else they talked about in the next few days.

But again - with the loss of Fore and Buckingham, and Solly not panning out - we have another young and probably not deep team, or team that will rely heavily on newcomers for that depth and support of Grant, Gilyard, and Sherod. That is a good start - but I fear the dropoff from them to our 4th guy and so on to 5th-7th guys will be too great. And I don't even want to think about if one of them gets injured and misses any time this season - then we really struggle.

But what do you think Mooney has to win this year to get back on the extension train? We won 12 last year - even if he wins say 16-18 games this year, that again is no post-season, but very good improvement. Does that do it?

Aren't we always young?

https://www.richmond.com/sports/col...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
did last year with so many freshmen and coming off a decent year.
obviously wouldn't this year with 1 recruit to land and off a 12 win season.
Well, last year, we also only had 1 recruit to land as well and yet we re-upped him. But then half of the team decided to take their "talents" elsewhere.

What else has changed from this year to last year? We got a new sheriff in town. I think we are going to like this new sheriff. He seems to place a bit higher priority on winning more than the old sheriff and his deputies. So long as Queally doesn't chop him off at the knees, I think we are going to see more winning soon. But not until after this year.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Well, last year, we also only had 1 recruit to land as well and yet we re-upped him. But then half of the team decided to take their "talents" elsewhere.

What else has changed from this year to last year? We got a new sheriff in town. I think we are going to like this new sheriff. He seems to place a bit higher priority on winning more than the old sheriff and his deputies. So long as Queally doesn't chop him off at the knees, I think we are going to see more winning soon. But not until after this year.
97, nice to have you and your acerbic comments back.

Agree 100% for not much effort is needed to go up from Gill. But I do feel Hardt has an opportunity to assert himself early. What exact impact or influence: raising money, improving programs, etc... is too early to make a judgement, but I do like a lot what I am initially seeing.

When did we add the year? How many open scholarships did we have at the time? I'm trying to remember...

Wasn't the extension through a deputy because their was no sheriff?

Yes, I believe we added the one year about this time last year (hence why JOC is writing a follow up now). We had 1 open scholarship last year and the "rationale" given last year was that it would be a recruiting impediment to Mooney if he didn't have a full 4 years on his contact. I guess that same rationale does not apply this year, given the remarkably similar circumstances. And yes, the extension was given by the "acting AD" because we were doing our AD search at the time.

doesn't feel "remarkably similar" to me. we were coming off a 22-13 season when we gave him the extra year last August.

Yes, I believe we added the one year about this time last year (hence why JOC is writing a follow up now). We had 1 open scholarship last year and the "rationale" given last year was that it would be a recruiting impediment to Mooney if he didn't have a full 4 years on his contact. I guess that same rationale does not apply this year, given the remarkably similar circumstances. And yes, the extension was given by the "acting AD" because we were doing our AD search at the time.
Two big whoppers of mistakes - 10 year contract by Miller & then acting AD giving extension.

Two big whoppers of mistakes - 10 year contract by Miller & then acting AD giving extension.
Yep, no reason to give an extension last year. He had 3 years left and hadn't been to the NCAA in 6 years. That was a mistake and it going to cost our school and new AD and extra million and some change this Spring, when we negiotiate the buy out.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Didn't someone think that the extension came with the ability to soften the pain of a buyout?

Didn't someone think that the extension came with the ability to soften the pain of a buyout?
I don't know if it was accurate, but someone here did suggest that the extension came with a reduced buyout ... but that doesn't make sense to me. why would he sign that?

I don't know if it was accurate, but someone here did suggest that the extension came with a reduced buyout ... but that doesn't make sense to me. why would he sign that?
Many posts here make no sense.

Yeah, like these:

“Bet the ranch”
“Roll Spide”
“Perfect fit for our system”
“Another reason why we’ll be dancing”
etc.......
Predictable response from a simpleton.

I suggested this but it was purely speculative. I think it’s plausible that there were stipulations around an extension that would invalidate it, or that the buyout was modified.

There are certainly contractual methods to give him an extension he can point to recruits without adding further financial exposure to the university.

I suggested this but it was purely speculative. I think it’s plausible that there were stipulations around an extension that would invalidate it, or that the buyout was modified.

There are certainly contractual methods to give him an extension he can point to recruits without adding further financial exposure to the university.
I can't see any way to extend while reducing the actual guaranteed commitment. not increasing it, I guess that's possible. but unlikely.

Predictable response from a simpleton.
C'mon, Ulla. I thought his response was quite creative. I think he was just pointing out that you've hitched your wagon to Mooney come hell or high water. It would be boring if we all saw things the same way, no?

I can't see any way to extend while reducing the actual guaranteed commitment. not increasing it, I guess that's possible. but unlikely.
It depends on what’s important to the coach. He can get another year but get no additional buyout on it. He could get another year but agree to take a reduction on the buyout for all the existing years that are committed already.

I’m not saying it’s financially savvy to do this, I’m saying that there are a variety of ways to contract him without adding exposure for UR. If Mooney’s request is to be able to recruit effectively by having four full years, then there are ways to do that.

But it's news and most likely (and from my perspective hopefully) true. What do you expect JOC to do only produce positive stories. PR is not JOC's job. I get asked all the time by curious followers who don't stay involved regularly 'What's up with Mooney' There is interest in the general market, hence the story.

But it's news and most likely (and from my perspective hopefully) true. What do you expect JOC to do only produce positive stories. PR is not JOC's job. I get asked all the time by curious followers who don't stay involved regularly 'What's up with Mooney' There is interest in the general market, hence the story.

Yep. I want positive articles. There's plenty to talk about that's good about our student athletes, our programs, that can be reported. Especially during recruiting periods. And which part of that article gets your curious followers excited about UR basketball.

Yep. I want positive articles. There's plenty to talk about that's good about our student athletes, our programs, that can be reported. Especially during recruiting periods. And which part of that article gets your curious followers excited about UR basketball.
That's not his job, he's not our PR department. You can put out all the positive articles you want.
Knowing I'm a Spider fan, the question people ask, over and over again, is 'What is going on with Mooney?"

Reactions: 97spiderfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT