ADVERTISEMENT

Next year team will be better than expected by this board

Assuming all return that can - I think the team next year, with the help of light scheduling can get to 16 wins. Also remember - a lot of new coaches next year in the A10 which will probably mean some transfers, and light rosters for schools like GW, LaSalle, UMASS, etc. Not to mention the Bonnies should lose a lot with graduation and fall back to earth. So looking like another good 5-8th finish in the A10, which will be seen as a success when the narrative is written with all the "super-seniors" we lost.
I could see Burton as first team all A10. Possible A10 POY, but I think teams will defend for him and keep him at bay and hard to win POY when your team finishes so far down. I hate to say it, but I think Grace given minutes could sneak into a 3rd team all A10. No reason he doesn't get 14 points a night. Someone else on the team has to score right?

Here's a question... Is it against the rules for a player to simply take more undergrad courses even after graduating, as a way to retain that extra year? I've always wondered that. Or is it that the university won't allow you to do that once you have actually earned a degree? If the latter, why don't guys just intentionally come up a few credits short in their major after four years so they can come back for the fifth and finish?

I hate to say it, but I think Grace given minutes could sneak into a 3rd team all A10. No reason he doesn't get 14 points a night. Someone else on the team has to score right?
he'll almost certainly have a bigger role, but he averaged over 15 mpg this year and scored 4.1 ppg.
you're hoping he becomes a better offensive scorer than Grant. I don't think that's him but hope I'm wrong.

Here's a question... Is it against the rules for a player to simply take more undergrad courses even after graduating, as a way to retain that extra year? I've always wondered that. Or is it that the university won't allow you to do that once you have actually earned a degree? If the latter, why don't guys just intentionally come up a few credits short in their major after four years so they can come back for the fifth and finish?
Best guess for your scenario is you have to take graduate courses even if you have no intention of actually getting a graduate degree.

I have wondered that as well and never been able to find a satisfactory answer.

Lots of people graduate with way more than the minimum number of credits, and it's not like they push you out after fall semester if you've already met the requirements. So why would it be any different staying on for a whole extra year?

And as for your suggestion about intentionally coming up short, that also seems like a way around it, although I'm not sure how close you'd be cutting it while still meeting NCAA progress-to-degree requirements and minimum course loads.

So the dream could come true you could be an undergraduate forever? Since you have to "file" a request to graduate, you could not file such a request and stay an undergraduate. The rub comes in if you have already graduated then you could not take undergraduate courses to maintain eligibility.

My assumption is that once you graduate, you would have to re-apply if you want to pursue another major, but I don't know. I've known people who have gone to the same university for multiple undergrad degrees that way.

I assume someone would have thought of all this before now, so it must be against the athletic rules in some way, but I'd be curious to know how. If it isn't, then it would make it much easier for us to attract "grad" transfers.

Reactions: Zeeter
Assuming all return that can - I think the team next year, with the help of light scheduling can get to 16 wins. Also remember - a lot of new coaches next year in the A10 which will probably mean some transfers, and light rosters for schools like GW, LaSalle, UMASS, etc. Not to mention the Bonnies should lose a lot with graduation and fall back to earth. So looking like another good 5-8th finish in the A10, which will be seen as a success when the narrative is written with all the "super-seniors" we lost.
I could see Burton as first team all A10. Possible A10 POY, but I think teams will defend for him and keep him at bay and hard to win POY when your team finishes so far down. I hate to say it, but I think Grace given minutes could sneak into a 3rd team all A10. No reason he doesn't get 14 points a night. Someone else on the team has to score right?
I don’t think Burton can end up POY if we end up 5th-8th.

Reactions: urfan1
imo there’s a greater chance at least 2 don’t come back than there is all 11 return.
Tend to agree. Goose or Grace may figure they have had a good run and time to try something else. Sal saw very little pt last third of the year, maybe he wants to go somewhere with bigger role.

It does seem we are recruiting 2 in the portal now. Obviously could be just in case, but interested to see how it shakes out

If anyone I think Goose leaves, simply because he could go home and play professional there and be closer to family, which I don't blame him one bit for.

Grace - not sure what his plans are after UR. I think if he wanted to keep playing he could put up decent numbers and find a place to play overseas. Or maybe he is done and its time to move on - I have no problem with that.

Burton - only fear is portal, but I think making NCAA helps him stay, and knowing he will be focal point next year. He can't win A10 POY in 5th-8th place unless his numbers are ridiculous (lead in scoring by wide margin) - but he can def be a 1st team all A10.

Reactions: WCUR11
Grace - not sure what his plans are after UR. I think if he wanted to keep playing he could put up decent numbers and find a place to play overseas. Or maybe he is done and its time to move on - I have no problem with that.
I think in the "astro-physics" article he said he'll definitely be playing next year, somewhere.
I wouldn't think he plays overseas yet. he averaged 4 ppg. he needs a bigger year. I don't know if he'll find a better basketball opportunity than he has here next season, but if he's really interest in astronomy he's got some legit options (excluding high majors) like:
all the Ivy's, BU, Colgate, Elon, GMU, Lehigh, Delaware, and 23's SDSU.

Everyone can play overseas - its just a matter of where and what type of league. Remember the australian guy UR had a few years back - he barely played and I believe has played overseas for many years. Its just a matter of what country and what the pay is. But remember - every country out there has there own league, and most countries have more than one league (tiers/levels). But there is a major difference between playing in Italy and Spain and Yemen or Thailand. So if Grace wanted to play - he could find a place. Maybe even back in Canada

guess I meant he needs a bigger year to get a better opportunity overseas, and I think he has an opportunity here to be a primary guy getting over 20 mpg which would help.

guess I meant he needs a bigger year to get a better opportunity overseas, and I think he has an opportunity here to be a primary guy getting over 20 mpg which would help.
Agreed - I think Grace will be a 25-30 minute a night guy next year, even more at times if he can handle it. For one simple reason - there is no one else to help him. Who is going to sub in for him - Sal? Does Sal even come back - he could move on as well considering he has barely played at all his 4 years at UR. There is no one else. A frosh coming in? Maybe - but Mooney will always favor the upperclassmen and I have a hard time we bring someone in who can take 25-30 minutes a night at that spot.

So I think Grace in this offense with opportunity can get 10-15 points night.

If Grace stays, and we land someone like Quinn, then Grace would move to the low post/4/Cayo role a bit more I would think. Still don't love that combo defensively, but that could be a pretty potent high low scoring tandem. Grace has become very versatile.

Reactions: spiderman
Am I correct that career minutes for next year's 3 "Seniors" is:
Goose - 2280 (although UR website say he had 2 minutes total in 2021-2022...)
Grace - 857
Sal -657

Yeah, our sports information people aren't very good about keeping stats updated...surprise, surprise. But I've got these numbers:

- Goose: 2277
- Grace: 1294
- Sal: 673

This Season's Average Minutes by group
Gilyard, Golden, Cayo, Sherod - 107
Burton, Goose, Grace - 66.5
Wilson, Crabtree, Bailey, Sal, Randolph - 26.5

Next Season?
Gilyard, Golden, Cayo, Sherod - 0
Burton, Goose, Grace - 100?
Wilson, Crabtree, Bailey, Sal, Randolph - 45?
Nelson, Dread, Noyes, Walz - 35? (Since we may need 2 to contribute?)
Transfer, Freshman - 20? (less if typical freshman)

Yeah, our sports information people aren't very good about keeping stats updated...surprise, surprise. But I've got these numbers:

- Goose: 2277
- Grace: 1294
- Sal: 673
I checked "Full Bio", "Stats", career at the bottom. Noticed Goose had 2 minutes in 1 game this season, didn't notice Grace had only played in 10 games...

Agreed - I think Grace will be a 25-30 minute a night guy next year, even more at times if he can handle it. For one simple reason - there is no one else to help him. Who is going to sub in for him - Sal? Does Sal even come back - he could move on as well considering he has barely played at all his 4 years at UR. There is no one else. A frosh coming in? Maybe - but Mooney will always favor the upperclassmen and I have a hard time we bring someone in who can take 25-30 minutes a night at that spot.

So I think Grace in this offense with opportunity can get 10-15 points night.
Agreed. Grace gets Grant's role and minutes next year. Think he will easily average 10 plus points a game in that role. Also completely fine with Grace in that role. He has earned the starters nod.

If anyone I think Goose leaves, simply because he could go home and play professional there and be closer to family, which I don't blame him one bit for.

Burton - only fear is portal, but I think making NCAA helps him stay, and knowing he will be focal point next year. He can't win A10 POY in 5th-8th place unless his numbers are ridiculous (lead in scoring by wide margin) - but he can def be a 1st team all A10.
I am a guess lecturer once a year at U of R and spoke to a class yesterday that Grace was in. I asked the students what industry they wanted to go into when they graduated and Grace said basketball. He seams like a great kid. He sat right in front of me in the front row of the class and in the middle, so he is not distracted.

At the end of my talk, I reached in front of me to shake his hand and said "Thank you. You played terrific over the past 2 weeks and made a lot of people very happy" The class then gave him a well deserve applause.

Last edited:
I am a guess lecturer once a year at U of R and spoke to a class yesterday that Grace was in. I asked the students what industry they wanted to go into when they graduated and Grace said basketball. He seams like a great kid. He sat right in front of me in the front row of the class and in the middle, so he is not distracted.

At the end of my talk I, I reached in front of me to shake his hand and said "Thank you. You played terrific over the past 2 weeks and made a lot of people very happy" The class then gave him a well deserve applause.
that is awesome .. thx 4 sharing

impossible for me to guess without knowing the final roster. things can change a lot depending on who we lose or add.

but Golden and Cayo each played about 27 mpg. I would expect Grace to play about that.
since February Grace averaged about 18 mpg and 4.5 ppg.
with some more minutes and a bigger role, 8-10 ppg seems reasonable. not sure I see more.

Burton about 18.

that still leaves 40+ more points to find. we'll get them. just don't know who scores them.

At the end of my talk, I reached in front of me to shake his hand and said "Thank you. You played terrific over the past 2 weeks and made a lot of people very happy" The class then gave him a well deserve applause.
Very nice.

imo there’s a greater chance at least 2 don’t come back than there is all 11 return.

Believe there's still more to shake out. Why I don't get looking ahead yet, who is going to pick up the scoring etc, we have to figure out the roster first.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Could Sal leave as well - he is a Sr. right? Not sure if he has graduated, but could he potentially walk away and call it quits (not use COVID year) or potentially transfer as a grad transfer?

I am just confused as to what year and how many years left everyone really has.

Could Sal leave as well - he is a Sr. right? Not sure if he has graduated, but could he potentially walk away and call it quits (not use COVID year) or potentially transfer as a grad transfer?

I would assume Sal is in the same place as Grace and Gus - can stay, go as transfer, or "retire". Not sure if Grace being Canadian and Gus Finnish make anything more or less complicated for them if they stay or go.

Everyone can play overseas - its just a matter of where and what type of league. Remember the australian guy UR had a few years back - he barely played and I believe has played overseas for many years. Its just a matter of what country and what the pay is. But remember - every country out there has there own league, and most countries have more than one league (tiers/levels). But there is a major difference between playing in Italy and Spain and Yemen or Thailand. So if Grace wanted to play - he could find a place. Maybe even back in Canada
Coach biggest regtret not playing Duinker more

Reactions: spider23
Be interesting how this shakes out with Wilson leaving. I don't necessarily think we are in need of a PG. If Nelson is as good as we hope, he will get 30+ minutes at PG. Dji and Goose (if he returns) would slide over as needed. Now both Goose and Dji (and Nelson for that matter) have had injury issues - so I guess maybe. I would rather focus on a big (as we are doing) and land a shooter like Wright from Princeton.

Posted this Friday AM.

With the Day off, thinking about next year. Is this correct?
Grace, Goose, Sal - Seniors with 1 year
Burton, Crabtree - Seniors with 2 years
Wilson, Bailey - Juniors with 2 years (or is it 3?)
Randolph - Sophomore with 3 years
Nelson, Dread, Noyes, Wals - Freshmen with 4 years
and a player to be named later?

Before today's update...

I would assume Sal is in the same place as Grace and Gus - can stay, go as transfer, or "retire". Not sure if Grace being Canadian and Gus Finnish make anything more or less complicated for them if they stay or go.
Totally unrelated but is Sal from the Ivory Coast? or always Queens?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT