ADVERTISEMENT

Next year team will be better than expected by this board

I have no idea why some of you are practically pushing Burton out the door with no knowledge other than the fact that you personally wouldn't stay here.

Reactions: urmite and plydogg
And if it isn't, you will just recycle this post next year at this time and say the following years team is it. Most of us have been around here a while under the Mooney regime, you can go tell your tales of future glory to some unsuspecting rubes that don't know any better. We do.

Agreed. Think Tyler is out of here. He will have his pick of the litter in terms of BCS schools. Look for him to go back closer to home (Big East) school where he can play for a team that is surefire NCAA bid getter.

No reason for him to spend his last year here on a rebuild, particularly when his family is lighting up Mooney on social media.
I believe this will be the biggest attention grabber of the off-season. Will he stay, or will he go? I'd like to see him stay, but if he goes it makes perfectly good sense to want to play on a winning team with realistic NCAA expectations. If we don't make it this year, we'll never make it during his career here. Also next year, he'll probably be doubled teamed more and more at UR as the other options are not what they are this year. This could become frustrating for him even though he's a team player & a gamer.

If he leaves, I'd like to see Mooney's spin on the that. Also I guess the admin & BOT will just consider it another day at the office, and we'll be fine.

Welp, I believe his dad played at providence. They are a top 10ish team this season. That would be a very nice spot for him. Cooley is a good dude and if he can prove himself against Uconn, Villanova, etc that would seemingly be a good spot to move up his draft standing. They play defense and they win.
23, ding, ding, ding. Excellent points. Providence is a 30 minute drive from his hometown. Watched a couple of their home games recently, great crowd and environment. Cooley is a great coach.

Welp, I believe his dad played at providence. They are a top 10ish team this season. That would be a very nice spot for him. Cooley is a good dude and if he can prove himself against Uconn, Villanova, etc that would seemingly be a good spot to move up his draft standing. They play defense and they win.
dad played at Providence and they didn't offer Tyler? big miss on Cooley's part.

Reactions: nathanw19
A lot of people passed on him, let's be honest. It's not like he turned down Kentucky and Duke to come here. But now he's a top player in a top-10 league.

Agreed. Think Tyler is out of here. He will have his pick of the litter in terms of BCS schools. Look for him to go back closer to home (Big East) school where he can play for a team that is surefire NCAA bid getter.

No reason for him to spend his last year here on a rebuild, particularly when his family is lighting up Mooney on social media.
Many on this forum have been wrong over and over and over again on transfers. You might hate the current program, but the players like it and have been extremely loyal. I don't see him transferring while Mooney is the coach.

Last edited:
A lot of people passed on him, let's be honest. It's not like he turned down Kentucky and Duke to come here. But now he's a top player in a top-10 league.
so every top player should leave to go to a higher league, or just Mooney's top players?
he's developed a ton here. he may love the team and school here.
transferring isn't always the answer. the grass isn't always greener.

What would you do? You've had a very good year and gotten lots of national attention on a team that seemed like a sure bet to make the NCAAs. That appears very unlikely now. Everyone around you is about to leave. Your goal is to play in the NBA.

f you come back here, not only will you not make the NCAA, you also are very likely to be double teamed 32 times next year, thereby reducing your chances to show the scouts a lot more.

If you go somewhere better, you get to play on the big stage, make the tournament and not worry about being doubled.

teams will focus on Burton as they already do, but he won't be double teamed. he's a perimeter player and slasher. you don't double perimeter guys.

I feel like we wouldn't even have this discussion if the super seniors didn't come back this year. them being here left more questions than answers about the young talent we have. and we do have some unknowns. but those questions will be answered. I just don't think the cupboard is nearly as bare as some here think.

I'm in the group that expects to see greatness from Dji next year, and I don't say that because Dad is here. he could do it at the 1, but I'm hoping that Nelson is the next great small UR PG. if so, I expect Dji at the 2. that's can be a heck of a young backcourt. plus Goose may be back and Nelson will improve.

Crabtree looks 100% ready to me. him with Burton at the forwards is very strong.

so the question is at the 5 and with depth. if Grace comes back I'm really happy. I love the way he's playing now. but I don't really expect him back based on that article. I think and hope Walz is the answer at the 5 defensively. no idea about his offense. but I'll wait to see what we get in the portal.

depth we just don't know about. one, we don't know who's coming back and two, we don't know anything about the redshirted freshmen or who else will be here. those answers will take time. but we have talent.

If CM returns I expect us to finish last. So yes, they just might finish better than I expect. Maybe.

teams will focus on Burton as they already do, but he won't be double teamed. he's a perimeter player and slasher. you don't double perimeter guys.

I feel like we wouldn't even have this discussion if the super seniors didn't come back this year. them being here left more questions than answers about the young talent we have. and we do have some unknowns. but those questions will be answered. I just don't think the cupboard is nearly as bare as some here think.

I'm in the group that expects to see greatness from Dji next year, and I don't say that because Dad is here. he could do it at the 1, but I'm hoping that Nelson is the next great small UR PG. if so, I expect Dji at the 2. that's can be a heck of a young backcourt. plus Goose may be back and Nelson will improve.

Crabtree looks 100% ready to me. him with Burton at the forwards is very strong.

so the question is at the 5 and with depth. if Grace comes back I'm really happy. I love the way he's playing now. but I don't really expect him back based on that article. I think and hope Walz is the answer at the 5 defensively. no idea about his offense. but I'll wait to see what we get in the portal.

depth we just don't know about. one, we don't know who's coming back and two, we don't know anything about the redshirted freshmen or who else will be here. those answers will take time. but we have talent.
Burton is the only true known, and we know what to expect of him. If Grace returns & replaces Grant, we truly don't know what to expect of him at 30 minutes a game. Wilson started a run of games & was benched. Beyond those, there is not enough body of work from the others to emphatically support your conjecture. We can only hope that several players can and will step up, but that remains to be seen.

We all hope for the best. But I suspect for 10 plus years, we've had these wishful thinking ideas going into the next season, and where have we landed?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Burton is the only true known, and we know what to expect of him. If Grace returns & replaces Grant, we truly don't know what to expect of him at 30 minutes a game. Wilson started a run of games & was benched. Beyond those, there is not enough body of work from the others to emphatically support your conjecture. We can only hope that several players can and will step up, but that remains to be seen.

We all hope for the best. But I suspect for 10 plus years, we've had these wishful thinking ideas going into the next season, and where have we landed?
there are sometimes teams with a lot of seniors who play most of the minutes. when they graduate, someone fills the vacuum. those teams aren't alaways bad just because the guys filling the spots haven't played a ton. we have talent.

I'm not expecting to dance next year as we have question marks but I hope to be surprised. we'll need some guys to make big jumps. and we still have at least one spot to fill.

I'll take my record of analysis and prediction of this program and its results over yours any day.
I addressed this to the forum relative to the predictions on transfers, not specifically to you. Not sure how anyone could be more accurate since no starter has transferred in over 3 years and I repeatedly said no one would transfer. We have had one of the lowest transfer rates in the country, which is a complement to the coach.

I addressed this to the forum relative to the predictions on transfers, not specifically to you. Not sure how anyone could be more accurate since no starter has transferred in over 3 years and I repeatedly said no one would transfer. We have had one of the lowest transfer rates in the country, which is a complement to the coach.
It's a soft unaccountable friendly atmosphere with big time perks. May i have another please.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
It's a soft unaccountable friendly atmosphere with big time perks. May i have another please.
It's great that none of the players have transferred. For those of who are alumni, it's a great school, and we should be proud of our education.

80s - re your response to 97spider, let me add this below:

However, none of the players who have chosen to stay here have seen an NCAA in March other than watching on TV. Our coach and his system have not delivered for the players. In my mind, that's letting your players, alumni, and supporters down. I guess I could use term "failure", but there will always be those who will redirect and use other non basketball standards such as graduation rates, community involvement, etc. to prop up the coach and decision makers.

We went 12-20 and 13-20 when Gilyard et al were freshmen and sophomores. We didn't really light the world on fire when KA was a freshman.

So you think Burton plus whoever comes back next year and whatever freshmen play are going to do a lot better than that? I agree that Nelson is our next stud, and Dji should be solid, etc. But to expect them to do something drastically different from what other young classes in the Mooney Era have done is just illogical to me. He has a 17-year track record. Anyone expecting major deviations from that is going to be sorely disappointed. He is what he is.

So you think Burton plus whoever comes back next year and whatever freshmen play are going to do a lot better than that?
well yeah. I went through the roster already but ...
Nelson, Dji, hopefully Goose as the main guards - I think that's strong. plus an improved Wilson.
Crabtree and Burton as the starting forwards - I think that's really strong.

we certainly have unknowns beyond that but there's potential. and unknown doesn't necessarily mean bad.

It's great that none of the players have transferred. For those of who are alumni, it's a great school, and we should be proud of our education.

80s - re your response to 97spider, let me add this below:

However, none of the players who have chosen to stay here have seen an NCAA in March other than watching on TV. Our coach and his system have not delivered for the players. In my mind, that's letting your players, alumni, and supporters down. I guess I could use term "failure", but there will always be those who will redirect and use other non basketball standards such as graduation rates, community involvement, etc. to prop up the coach and decision makers.
How does any of that have anything to do with the initial comment that Burton would transfer?

well yeah. I went through the roster already but ...
Nelson, Dji, hopefully Goose as the main guards - I think that's strong. plus an improved Wilson.
Crabtree and Burton as the starting forwards - I think that's really strong.

we certainly have unknowns beyond that but there's potential. and unknown doesn't necessarily mean bad.
The recruiting class was ranked 4th best in the A10. There should be a few good players out of that group. I would be disappointed if there was not at least one starter.

In 2017-18, our roster included Gilyard, Golden and Cayo as freshmen, Sherod and Buckingham as sophomores. We won 12 games. Are we fielding a better roster next year? I doubt it.

In 2018-19, we had all those guys except Buck. We won 13 games.

I'll believe it when I see it with a young Mooney team winning games. And I'll never see it.

How does any of that have anything to do with the initial comment that Burton would transfer?

You did say we had one of the lowest transfer rates in the country. You need to think big picture. Look at the rewards bestowed upon those who chose not to transfer. If Burton stays, add him to the list. He won't see an NCAA tournament here at UR. Will you go on record & dispute that?

The rest was just parenthetical info. Glad you enjoyed it.

In 2017-18, our roster included Gilyard, Golden and Cayo as freshmen, Sherod and Buckingham as sophomores. We won 12 games. Are we fielding a better roster next year? I doubt it.
the young 17-18 starting roster had some offensive talent. without searching for stats, I'm going to assume that was a really poor defensive team outside of Fore and maybe Gilyard. next year we have some very good defensive players coming back. yet to know if Walz can protect the rim and rebound. that would go a long way. yet to know if Nelson plays defense too. but I know Goose, Dji, Isaiah and Connor do. and I know Burton rebounds.

I'll believe it when I see it with a young Mooney team winning games. And I'll never see it.
So you are saying we had 3 experienced guys coming back in 17-18 (I assume there were others you didn't mention) if you include Golden who redshirted. Next year as mentioned before, we may have 11 including the potential A10 player of the year. We will be much better than the teams you mentioned above.

11 experience players coming back and competing for each position including:

Burton, a potential A10 player of the year,
Goose, terrific defender and solid guard
Grace, who has been playing very well recently
Sal, I think next year will be his year.
Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard
Wilson, hopefully he fine tunes his game
Marcus Randolph, strong potential

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Noyes
We also have Walz a 6'11, who had 9 D1 offers

My point is that those two teams I mentioned had two of the best Spiders in the history of the program and several other excellent players. Do you think anyone on next year's team, outside of Burton if he comes back, will become one of our top 10 players ever? I don't. And even if two of them did, why should we expect any more than 12 or 13 wins when recent history shows us that's what a team of those players produced under Mooney?

Reactions: Not-A-Homer

I agree Eight. Different soldiers, same general. Look back and see how CM does with a young, inexperienced roster. Not good.

So you are saying we had 3 experienced guys coming back in 17-18 (I assume there were others you didn't mention) if you include Golden who redshirted. Next year as mentioned before, we may have 11 including the potential A10 player of the year. We will be much better than the teams you mentioned above.

Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Noyes
Mooney has proven over-and-over that he can't make the NCAA tournament with multiple tournament worthy rosters. If he can't get experienced players into the tourney, there is almost no chance to get the expected returnees into the dance.

Part # 2, can Mooney take your roster and make them winners. Mooney's history very clearly says that the record will be below .500. I predict that they will be significantly below .500. Absent transfers that change the equation, I see this team struggling mightily. If Burton and Grace leave, I'll go on record as predicting that they likely win less than 10-games.

Yes, I do think that the staff will dumb down the schedule to increase the chance of victories, but coaching matters with a young team. Mooney's player mismanagement and poor leadership will have the green horn team in such turmoil that they have limited opportunities for success. We've seen it before.

Burton is the only scorer among the returnees.He’s the only rebounder too.

Don't see much other source for scoring or rebounding

Goose should run an off season seminar for the returnees on the ‘art of defending.’

If we can keep opposing teams from scoring 60 points ,we have a shot.

Otherwise,buckle up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
Mooney has proven over-and-over that he can't make the NCAA tournament with multiple tournament worthy rosters. If he can't get experienced players into the tourney, there is almost no chance to get the expected returnees into the dance.

Part # 2, can Mooney take your roster and make them winners. Mooney's history very clearly says that the record will be below .500. I predict that they will be significantly below .500. Absent transfers that change the equation, I see this team struggling mightily. If Burton and Grace leave, I'll go on record as predicting that they likely win less than 10-games.

Yes, I do think that the staff will dumb down the schedule to increase the chance of victories, but coaching matters with a young team. Mooney's player mismanagement and poor leadership will have the green horn team in such turmoil that they have limited opportunities for success. We've seen it before.
Making the tournament next year is a delusional expectation. We will go from the most experienced team in history maybe to out least experienced, all to save CM’s ass.
And with Moonman in charge, no chance.

Reactions: Eight Legger

Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard

Nelson
Dread
Noyes
How do 11 guys have “experience”? Playing in games is experience. Practice is not experience. How many guys have contributed major minutes?

Reactions: 64Spider and Zeeter
His aunt wants him out lol.
no idea how much influence his aunt has. in my house, that wouldn't mean anything. in fact it would certainly get a chuckle if my kid's aunt had the audacity to post something like that. but I don't know with Tyler. maybe she's a decision maker.

Reactions: plydogg
no idea how much influence his aunt has. in my house, that wouldn't mean anything. in fact it would certainly get a chuckle if my kid's aunt had the audacity to post something like that. but I don't know with Tyler. maybe she's a decision maker.
I think it is a bad look if a family member is openly criticizing a coach on a public, non anonymous social media site. It would seem to be an indication that maybe the critique is shared within said family.

Now, I did sit next to Justin Harper's dad one game his senior year, and he was bitching about Mooney all game - and of course Justin was getting plenty shots - so people are going to complain.

Whether Burton goes or stays, I think if we are running Mooney back - we are in long term trouble. And have been, unless you are a fan of mediocrity.

Tyler will have a difficult decision. He is likely to be 1st team A10 this year and probably has a chance at POY. But given our place in the standings - I don't think he wins it. SO - assuming he makes first team all A10, does he stick around and possibly go after A10 player of the year next year or go somewhere else and see if it helps his stock for the future. He needs to go somewhere that will make NCAA tourney, but that he can also get minutes and put up good numbers.

A good test case is Grady from Davidson now at Kentucky. Top 10 team - has a chance to make an elite 8 or final four run. He is 3rd leading scorer at 12 a game for Kentucky. He won't get drafted to NBA, but Cal can get him workouts with teams and maybe he makes a roster or G-League because he can shoot.

I think the issue with Burton staying at UR - I don't know if he puts up same numbers next year. He benefits from having other threats like Golden and Gilyard, and with them gone - teams will solely focus on shutting him down. This year - they focus on Burton, but can't give him too much attention because of other weapons. But next year - teams will gladly let Goose or Grace or Crabtree try to beat them, but they will try to not let Burton beat them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT