ADVERTISEMENT

Next year team will be better than expected by this board

In the post-game press conference yesterday, Tyler said "I've got two more years here." I took that as a sign that he intends to stay.
Tyler sounded very committed when he said it.

Another quote I found interesting was Grant referring to a quote from Sal. I can't remember what the quote was, but it show a lot of respect for Sal. Hopefully there is more to Sal than we see.

Finally, one other quote from a previous press release that I believe some on this board miss interpreted was Graces comment, about playing some where next year. I believe he said that because 5th year players must be invited back by the team and he will not know his status untill after the season. Obviously, the team will want him back if he is willing.

@UR80sfan For a guy in Grace who I thought might never get to play he has won me over big time and no doubt in my mind he's back here. He's an academic smart kid who transferred that over to A+ in knowing what to do on the court.

And Sal whose buried on the bench was the biggest cheerleader on the bench. I thought so much potential .... I see one athletic move and think wow ..... then a bad pass ....bad shot ..... bad foul. I don't think Mooney did him any service by those quick hooks. Though he probably hasn't showed much in practice or he be getting some time. I hope Sal comes back and develops into a contributing PF player off the bench.

Reactions: gcarter52
Tyler sounded very committed when he said it.

Another quote I found interesting was Grant referring to a quote from Sal. I can't remember what the quote was, but it show a lot of respect for Sal. Hopefully there is more to Sal than we see.

Finally, one other quote from a previous press release that I believe some on this board miss interpreted was Graces comment, about playing some where next year. I believe he said that because 5th year players must be invited back by the team and he will not know his status untill after the season. Obviously, the team will want him back if he is willing.
80s to paraphrase what Sal said I think was our destiny does not depend on the other team, but what we (UR) do. He said Sal said that each time they came to huddle.

Reactions: gospidersgo
We have Burton, Grace and Wilson coming back more than likely. Then a bunch of freshmen and incoming recruits. One player Burton has seen 30+ plus minutes all year. We also have Sal I forgot about. The odds of a winning season seem very small next year. Even if we get incoming transfers. I can't remember the last time we had a impactful transfer? Can someone remember?

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
We have Burton, Grace and Wilson coming back more than likely. Then a bunch of freshmen and incoming recruits. One player Burton has seen 30+ plus minutes all year. We also have Sal I forgot about. The odds of a winning season seem very small next year. Even if we get incoming transfers. I can't remember the last time we had a impactful transfer? Can someone remember?
Most recent. Blake. Next TJ. They were pretty good?

Reactions: SpiderK and regatw
We need another big and a 3 point shooter. If Grace and Goose come back (and Burton), there’s something there to work with. Also that assumes Jason Nelson is ready to step in at the point.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
We need another big and a 3 point shooter. If Grace and Goose come back (and Burton), there’s something there to work with. Also that assumes Jason Nelson is ready to step in at the point.
Here is the list again, 11 players with at least one year in the program:

Burton, a potential A10 player of the year,
Goose, terrific defender and solid guard
Grace, who has been playing very well recently
Sal, I think next year will be his year.
Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard
Wilson, hopefully he fine tunes his game
Marcus Randolph, strong potential

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Noyes

We also have Walz a 6'11, who had 9 D1 offers

Here is the list again, 11 players with at least one year in the program:

Burton, a potential A10 player of the year,
Goose, terrific defender and solid guard
Grace, who has been playing very well recently
Sal, I think next year will be his year.
Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard
Wilson, hopefully he fine tunes his game
Marcus Randolph, strong potential

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Noyes

We also have Walz a 6'11, who had 9 D1 offers
Where are you getting information from where all of these players are coming back?

Next Year's Roster (using traditional position basketball - I know this may not fit in all cases and just picked one position vs other in some cases to make fit) :
1. Jason Nelson, Wilson
2. Goose, Dji, Randolph, Dread
3. Burton, Crabtree, Noyes
4. Sal
5. Grace, Walz

If Sal, Goose, and Grace all come back ( I have no idea, I think you could see any possibility from 0 to 3 coming back), you have one slot to fill. We have seen publicly stated that we have reached out to a 7 foot center in Quinn, and a 6'5 forward in Gholston. IF we do sign Quinn, and Grace returns, will be very curious to see how that front court plays out. I know sman likes Noyes or Burton as a 4, but I think Burton will be a 3 mostly still. Noyes certainly seems to have the length and hops to help inside it would seem, but only 190 lbs doesnt seem like a true fit. Would likely see a lot of Grace at 4?

Even if we land Quinn, I would like to see us get another legit interior player - if a slot opens. I do think we could use a college proven shooter too. We have a lot of guys on the roster that could be shooters, but not proven yet. If Goose comes back, big log jam at the 2/3 position as usual. I do think we would see some small ball lineups with Burton biggest guy after who ever is playing center. I think that can be very effective for us, but I also think Burton needs to keep working on the handle and perimeter skills for his own future and our success .

Next Year's Roster (using traditional position basketball - I know this may not fit in all cases and just picked one position vs other in some cases to make fit) :
1. Jason Nelson, Wilson
4. Sal
5. Grace, Walz

If Sal, Goose, and Grace all come back ( I have no idea, I think you could see any possibility from 0 to 3 coming back), you have one slot to fill. We have seen publicly stated that we have reached out to a 7 foot center in Quinn, and a 6'5 forward in Gholston. IF we do sign Quinn, and Grace returns, will be very curious to see how that front court plays out. I know sman likes Noyes or Burton as a 4, but I think Burton will be a 3 mostly still. Noyes certainly seems to have the length and hops to help inside it would seem, but only 190 lbs doesnt seem like a true fit. Would likely see a lot of Grace at 4?

Even if we land Quinn, I would like to see us get another legit interior player - if a slot opens. I do think we could use a college proven shooter too. We have a lot of guys on the roster that could be shooters, but not proven yet. If Goose comes back, big log jam at the 2/3 position as usual. I do think we would see some small ball lineups with Burton biggest guy after who ever is playing center. I think that can be very effective for us, but I also think Burton needs to keep working on the handle and perimeter skills for his own future and our success .
Solid...I agree about finding a shooter. Decent shooters on the team but like you said "unproven" With our system we need shooters. The lineup next year will be interesting. You have a bunch of combos you could go to. You could go fairly big...Goose, Dji, Crab, Burton and Grace/another big. That lineup would give solid D up top especially. You can go a little smaller with Jason or Zay, Goose, Dji or Crab, Burton, and Grace/Sal or Big. I think Tyler, just as you will be mostly be at the 3 spot but we have some versitiltiy with the guards and different types of lineups. I'm pumped bc I know Dji will get his opportunity next season and will be ready when called on. I love Marcus' energy and think it can be contagious which could make this group a little different from the last. Jason is goign to be really good and personally love the Jason & Dji backcourt. Every team will have a differnt identity. They will be young and I think hungry as this final run certainly motivated Dji and the other guys aren't going to be any different. Lets go 🕷️ 🏀

Good stuff. I do love the defensive possibilities of Dji and Goose back court. Both guys like to defend, move their feet well enough to guard smaller guards and then cause problems with size. Should be some good competition at practice. One thing I have been down on with Mooney - is that in most years you can pencil the lineup and PT - I used to do this practice of predicting PT each year and was pretty darn close most years. I think this season it will be very hard to do, and hopefully that will be a good thing.

Good stuff. I do love the defensive possibilities of Dji and Goose back court. Both guys like to defend, move their feet well enough to guard smaller guards and then cause problems with size. Should be some good competition at practice. One thing I have been down on with Mooney - is that in most years you can pencil the lineup and PT - I used to do this practice of predicting PT each year and was pretty darn close most years. I think this season it will be very hard to do, and hopefully that will be a good thing.
I agree, about the practice and lineups. Should be great competition. I think guys like Goose, Dji, Zay who have been in the program now should have a leg up but we shall see. I think next years team could be good defensively. The offense I think will come. How do you guys feel about scheduling some light weights early? I know that doesn't necessarily benefit us in the net/ken pom etc... but could help build confidence early.

so much will be determined soon with guys deciding if they're coming back and who we replace them with if necessary.

it does look like it will be a very different type of team. whether it was an intential shift in recruiting or not, we likely play a lot of defense-first guys next season in Goose (if he's back), Dji, Isaiah and Connor.

it will be very interesting where the points come from besides from Tyler.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
1. Jason Nelson, Wilson
4. Sal
5. Grace, Walz

We probably have too many people that will want to come back. Mooney is going to have to make some difficult decisions. I would assume he would have to decide which 5 year players he wants back. Goose and Grace are guaranteed to have a spot and if Sal is given an opportunity to return, it shows the coach thinks he will be a positive contributor.

For everyone else on the team he has seen them in practice and should have a good idea how well they will do in our system. He can't take anyone's scholarship away, but he can have a discussion with a player about where they stand, which could cause someone to transfer for more playing time and open up another scholarship position.

If all 11 come back it means we have a very strong team.

I agree, about the practice and lineups. Should be great competition. I think guys like Goose, Dji, Zay who have been in the program now should have a leg up but we shall see. I think next years team could be good defensively. The offense I think will come. How do you guys feel about scheduling some light weights early? I know that doesn't necessarily benefit us in the net/ken pom etc... but could help build confidence early.
I suspect that we will see a slimming down of the opposition under the thought process of building confidence (and increasing wins) as you said. There are arguable reasons for that position.

However, from my perspective I would apply the exact opposite approach. It is my opinion that you should go against strong competition. Unless you are absurdly overwhelmed (I don't want a young team to play Gonzaga every night), I think that you get better, quicker, by playing up. I think it helps motivation (I may not be as sharp if I have less respect for the opponent), and I think it encourages me to step up my play.

Generally speaking (again unless there is a huge gap) I want to play against good competition. Doing this repetitively is iron sharpening iron in my opinion. Though I suspect that lowering the bar is exactly what will happen, I think it is not in the best long-term interest of the player or the team.

I think the schedule should be a mixture next year. can't go too easy or you won't be ready for A10 play. but we have a lot of guys who haven't played much college ball. I think you want them to see some success.

I think it will certainly be less aggressive than what we went with having 4 super-seniors.

Gonna be weird watching our offense without gilly. I know zay isn’t close to matching that offensive production so Interested to see who steps in. Maybe Nelson takes a big step. Also want to see Randolph. Mooney chose not to redshirt him this year for a reason.

I think it was Randolph who chose not to redshirt. Mooney gave him the option.
Maybe I am wrong but I feel like I remember Mooney saying in a beginning of the year interview that randolph wasn’t redshirted because he would be competing for time.

I think the schedule should be a mixture next year. can't go too easy or you won't be ready for A10 play. but we have a lot of guys who haven't played much college ball. I think you want them to see some success.

I think it will certainly be less aggressive than what we went with having 4 super-seniors.
I too agree that it should be a mixture. But imagine this board if we have a difficult schedule and the guys are getting beat.. a lot on here would have epic meltdowns 😁 But seriously I think a mixture is what we will get and I'm all for playing really good teams and let it payoff later in conf play.

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
Meltdowns are available on demand .............joining in is easy. The toughest possible schedule has my vote every year.................how else would we have had the victory at the Phog over Kansas?

Reactions: nathanw19
I will be shocked if Burton turns down Kentucky, Grady didn’t, but we will see.

I would say prepare to be shocked then 😁 I have no real inside info but thats my feeling
I don’t have any inside info either. In today’s grass is greener atmosphere and monetary pressures, I would be surprised if the big dogs don’t come calling. It would be very hard for a young man to turn down the guaranteed NCAA tournament bids and national followings of a Duke or Kentucky. I am the biggest Burton fan there is, and would be very happy if he stays.

I used this comparison before, and probably more relevant - what did Jacob Toppin do at Kentucky? Did improve his 3 pt shooting greatly, but only 17 mpg this year. I though Jacob and Burton were very comparable talents freshman year. Toppin I think may have had some injury issues at Kentucky too - but no guarantees for pt or what your role, or who will be recruited at your position 10 minutes after you commit.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I don’t have any inside info either. In today’s grass is greener atmosphere and monetary pressures, I would be surprised if the big dogs don’t come calling. It would be very hard for a young man to turn down the guaranteed NCAA tournament bids and national followings of a Duke or Kentucky. I am the biggest Burton fan there is, and would be very happy if he stays.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do come calling even if its against the rules bc TB is still a JR/SR. That has never stopped these HM coaches and programs but I just think he's happy here. Again, I could be wrong...ask my wife 😂 I say he stays and gets that all important degree from UR, which in the end is the most important at least in my eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT