ADVERTISEMENT

Next season

What will happen with the 2020-21 season?

• It will start on time and be played in its entirety

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • It will be delayed but played to its conclusion

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • It will be shortened but played to its conclusion

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • It will be delayed and interrupted again at some point

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • It will be canceled

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
If we dont have a very effective vaccine, or proven therapy by the season, finding it very hard to see how sports happen. And not a vaccine like we have for the flu, that doesn't really work for 2/3 of the people.

I voted for the first choice. Trying to stay positive just like I will the entire season standing behind Coach Mooney and the team. There's too much to look forward to with this team not to give them all the support I can. Mooney's past shortcomings shouldn't affect that. GO SPIDERS!

I’m pessimistic, unfortunately. I hope there’s a major shift, but without a vaccine, I don’t see any sports happening for awhile.

We will be playing in the fall. Maybe I'm just trying to cherry pick good news, but have seen multiple reports from other countries with actual widespread testing and they all are finding that 50% of folks testing positive have no symptoms. This means 2 things: 1. This thing is far more widespread than we know and thus closer to some type of herd immunity. 2. The death rate is far far lower due to the lack of testing.

All that said, I could see us playing games in the Fall but having some type of limited attendance policies. While, I like to think things will be better the thought of 100,000 fans packing in to watch college football seems like a bad idea.

Maybe I'm just trying to cherry pick good news, but have seen multiple reports from other countries with actual widespread testing and they all are finding that 50% of folks testing positive have no symptoms.
I saw that in Iceland. are there others?

One thing with this - the experts and the information seem to change with the wind. I am hopeful in about six weeks we have some kind of useful data.

Look at China, they tried to re-start the CBA in the "bubble" scenario - and that did not work. Going to go back to chugging hydroxychloroquine and Zithromax now.

I saw that in Iceland. are there others?
Iceland is the main one. I saw another report that I think cited, Germany, although don't quote me on that. I can't find that now. Most articles say at least 25% of folks are completely asymptomatic transmitters, but huge caveat is testing is not nearly comprehensive enough to determine true percentage of asymptomatic persons. Of course, a huge reason why this things spread so easily as well is that you can transmit it and not even know you are sick.

This whole thing has been amazing to me. Of course I wasn’t around for WW2, which is the only thing close to affecting whole country at once for any period of time in the last 100 years. Everybody is fine right now, some even looking at this as a vacation of sorts. The government won’t be able to dole out money forever. When the music stops and there are no chairs, it will be interesting to see what happens if this county doesn’t get back work soon. At least they had some sports during WW2.

This whole thing has been amazing to me. Of course I wasn’t around for WW2, which is the only thing close to affecting whole country at once for any period of time in the last 100 years. Everybody is fine right now, some even looking at this as a vacation of sorts. The government won’t be able to dole out money forever. When the music stops and there are no chairs, it will be interesting to see what happens if this county doesn’t get back work soon. At least they had some sports during WW2.
I don’t want to be too alarmist, but not everyone is fine. In New York covid19 has not only been the leading cause of death over the past few days, but more people have died from covid19 than all other causes combined. I hope that other places do not become as bad as New York, but it could happen anywhere.

I don’t want to be too alarmist, but not everyone is fine. In New York covid19 has not only been the leading cause of death over the past few days, but more people have died from covid19 than all other causes combined. I hope that other places do not become as bad as New York, but it could happen anywhere.
Judging by the video I saw in Japan, they are ramping up next unfortunately. Heck we have states in the US in which no actions seem to be in place.

I agree, Virginians have done a nice job as has most of the country so far. Half of Virginia’s deaths have been from one building. If we keep doing what the President and Governor says, we will be fine physically, although financially will be another story. Good luck to us all and I hope for all our sakes that we are watching the Spiders play football and basketball this fall.

Reactions: urfan1
If we can somehow get a college hoops season off the ground next year, I think our team could benefit as much as any team in the country from missing summer and early season work together. Most A10 teams are replacing key pieces (Dayton, Obi,Mikesell,etc) or like URI having massive turnover. Lots of team building, implementing systems, and chemistry to try to construct in a short time. We have a full house returning mostly, and should have a huge jump, especially early in the season - and especially vs a Kentucky. Hopeful that we have this under control by hoops season.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Will there be a next season? If so, will there be fans? Virginia was ranked in the top 5 states where colleges are least likely to open for the fall. That would suck.

I've been preparing myself for the possibility that there will not be any sports this calendar year at any level. I may go insane if that is the case, but I will not be surprised, either. The key to all of this is getting the antibody tests out there, which should happen soon, so that we know what we are dealing with in terms of who's had it and who hasn't. The curve-flattening is nice but it's largely flattening out because most people are doing what has been suggested and staying home. If we all go back out and once, that changes overnight and we're right back in a bad situation.

I do think within a month or two we will have a much better idea of what treatment is actually working, which should help a lot if there is a next round of this in the fall or winter.

Reactions: gcarter52
I've been preparing myself for the possibility that there will not be any sports this calendar year at any level. I may go insane if that is the case, but I will not be surprised, either. The key to all of this is getting the antibody tests out there, which should happen soon, so that we know what we are dealing with in terms of who's had it and who hasn't. The curve-flattening is nice but it's largely flattening out because most people are doing what has been suggested and staying home. If we all go back out and once, that changes overnight and we're right back in a bad situation.

I do think within a month or two we will have a much better idea of what treatment is actually working, which should help a lot if there is a next round of this in the fall or winter.

Stay Home to save your life and others....This pandemic is serious, please do not think that it is a joke. I have family members(mother, son and grand kids) stricken with this horrendous disease

Factually we have failed miserably at actually testing people with covid. Is there anything that makes you feel confident we can roll out the anti body tests in a timely manner? I sure don’t.

Hate to be a doomey gloomer but I’ll be shocked if there is college in the fall semester without a vaccine unless successfull anti body testing shows most the population got infected. The liability is just too much and colleges are a Petri dish for this stuff. Liberty made a predictably dumb decision that will serve notice to all other universities in how not to operate during a pandemic.

Pro sports will be back by then with no fans if you ask me, but I think best case scenario is college football in the spring and hoops starting in January.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Stay Home to save your life and others....This pandemic is serious, please do not think that it is a joke. I have family members(mother, son and grand kids) stricken with this horrendous disease

sorry to hear about your family. No question there are segments (yes, they are outliers) of our population that are at risk.

However, the data and studies are showing that although Social Distancing works Lockdowns are actually causing the problems to get worse intra-family spread, alcoholism, child and spousal abuse, lack of day to day medical (or as they gov't says "non essential) procedures.

I would not call Bloomberg an arm of the Republican party, but here is an interesting article on Sweden's response.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ersial-covid-19-strategy-is-proving-effective

sorry to hear about your family. No question there are segments (yes, they are outliers) of our population that are at risk.

However, the data and studies are showing that although Social Distancing works Lockdowns are actually causing the problems to get worse intra-family spread, alcoholism, child and spousal abuse, lack of day to day medical (or as they gov't says "non essential) procedures.

I would not call Bloomberg an arm of the Republican party, but here is an interesting article on Sweden's response.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ersial-covid-19-strategy-is-proving-effective
While I agree with you, each case is personal to individuals....That is why most Americans need to be tested....we don't know who has it or not!!! test at least one of two members in each household.

Factually we have failed miserably at actually testing people with covid. Is there anything that makes you feel confident we can roll out the anti body tests in a timely manner? I sure don’t.

Hate to be a doomey gloomer but I’ll be shocked if there is college in the fall semester without a vaccine unless successfull anti body testing shows most the population got infected. The liability is just too much and colleges are a Petri dish for this stuff. Liberty made a predictably dumb decision that will serve notice to all other universities in how not to operate during a pandemic.

Pro sports will be back by then with no fans if you ask me, but I think best case scenario is college football in the spring and hoops starting in January.
vaccine will not be available till most likely sometime later in 2021.

While I agree with you, each case is personal to individuals....That is why most Americans need to be tested....we don't know who has it or not!!! test at least one of two members in each household.
My understanding is there can be carriers of the virus who show little to no symptoms who can be a catalyst for others catching it. Example we had a neighbor with twins and younger son. The twin girls were always coming down with strep throat who in turn gave it to my daughter who was always up at their house. But their boy never got it. He was found to be the carrier threw testing. Removed his Tonsils and problem solved.

The curve-flattening is nice but it's largely flattening out because most people are doing what has been suggested and staying home.
[I wasn't going to reply in this thread but now that it's been moved to off-topic...]
The R0 models do not support this statement. The curve had already bent prior to the lockdowns being put into effect. Sweden is showing the same curve despite no lockdowns.

Well, it's possible that we would have had the exact same results had everyone just gone about normal life, but I sort of doubt that. Is that what you're saying, Chop, or am I misinterpreting? It's a dangerous game of chicken at this point if we just go back to normal right now. Another unknown is the long-term effects on those who have recovered. Some studies seem to indicate that there may be reduced lung capacity and some other issues whose impacts we won't fully know for awhile.

Nothing good was going to come of this either way, so I think the pissing match between "everyone stay at home or else people will die" people and "everyone get back to work or else people will commit murder and suicide" people is pointless. It sucks for everyone all around, no matter what.

Yes, there are and will be economic and social and mental problems for millions of people. I own a small business that is getting hammered by this, and it's everything I can do to survive. I've left my house three times since March 14 and I'm parenting one young kid and a one-year-old. I'm Exhibit A of someone who is nearing a breaking point. But I still think we are handling this the right way. If we didn't take these measures, it's likely that the virus would kill more people directly and cause others to die of unrelated medical ailments that could otherwise be treated if hospitals and doctors weren't overwhelmed with COVID cases. We haven't seen that in most places, thankfully, because of the steps we've mostly taken.

The flip side sucks too, but no one is going to "catch" unemployment and die or "catch" suicide and kill themselves. Those are awful and no doubt are happening, but they are secondary (not direct) impacts of the virus.

Well, it's possible that we would have had the exact same results had everyone just gone about normal life, but I sort of doubt that. Is that what you're saying, Chop, or am I misinterpreting?
Exactly? No. Also, no, I don't think "everyone" should have gone about normal life. But I do know that the vectors were pretty obvious since Kirkland (nursing homes are a big one, duh) and that a more targeted mitigation strategy would have probably saved lives while not destroying the economy. It's also fairly easy for a UR grad (or even someone who just "claims" to be one) to graph out an R0 curve in any location of their choosing. Compare the date of the bend with the date of the lockdowns, and it's pretty obvious they came too late to be credited with the bend - even when the screaming Karens tell you it's proof they're working. They are not concerned with math.

I defer to the experts and have been behaving myself, but I believe it's wise to question nonsensical statements. I think I'm older than you, but you might be old enough to remember Oprah going on her show and saying that One in five heterosexuals would be dead from HIV/AIDS within 3 years. One of the chief scaremongers at the time whose claims led her to make such a gross overstatement? Anthony Fauci. Just two weeks ago they were showing charts with 2 million dead within the range of their models - which assumed full social distancing. Just a few days later the estimate is 60,000 (which is below the low end of the range of their previous models) and they're crediting social distancing, when full social distancing was baked into the 2 million? Come on.

You and I both own small businesses, and I applaud you for taking it in stride even as you're getting hammered. I'm incredibly fortunate that mine is structured in such a way that remote working was barely disruptive, and we are busier than ever. But several of my clients are in danger of losing businesses that were thriving just six weeks ago - and the blame lies not with the virus itself, but with the Governor who forced their closure.

I understand the concern and also believe many small businesses will not be here when the dust clears. I've seen it happen through several events, hopefully like times in the past we will learn and come back stronger.

I do agree some of the "models" were way out of line, but my guess is they were intentionally out of line to scare compliance. As for our Governor, remember his first attempt at controlling the spread was less strict and then people would not comply.

I don’t envy any governor. If they had come out on day one and said, you can’t leave your house for two months, there would have been rioting. So most tried to ease their way into it, which probably was a good idea but should have started sooner in most areas. I don’t know if the models were intentionally overshooting estimates. I think this is just such a new thing and we didn’t have much in the way to go on, since it’s not like anyone could deduce much from China’s numbers. But that was the main observation point a few months ago.

my guess is they were intentionally out of line to scare compliance
Are you OK with that?

Good news/bad news from the recent studies in Santa Clara, Los Angeles, Chelsea and South Boston. All of them tell a pretty similar story.
  • Way more infectious than previously thought.
  • So many asymptomatics make it nearly impossible to contact trace
  • Still not at nearly herd immunity (and the lockdowns are actually harmful in that regard).
  • Not nearly as lethal as advertised. Case fatality rate will be well under 1% when all is said and done.
The media is starting to push back on that, though most of them just regurgitate what they're told.

When I first entered management my boss said always start as a bad ass being tough on compliance to your directives. Why....because it’s almost impossible to start off as mister nice guy and then get people to respond when you get tough in difficult times.

When I first entered management my boss said always start as a bad ass being tough on compliance to your directives. Why....because it’s almost impossible to start off as mister nice guy and then get people to respond when you get tough in difficult times.
That's a far cry from scaremongering about 2 million bodies piling up just to convince your citizens to forfeit two of their three Unalienable Rights.

Are you OK with that?

Good news/bad news from the recent studies in Santa Clara, Los Angeles, Chelsea and South Boston. All of them tell a pretty similar story.
  • Way more infectious than previously thought.
  • So many asymptomatics make it nearly impossible to contact trace
  • Still not at nearly herd immunity (and the lockdowns are actually harmful in that regard).
  • Not nearly as lethal as advertised. Case fatality rate will be well under 1% when all is said and done.
The media is starting to push back on that, though most of them just regurgitate what they're told.

I very seldom okay with the lies that politicians of both parties spew, and when the appropriate opportunity arises I attempt to thoughtfully inquire/object or make any other appropriate response.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
I'm very hopeful that we learn that most of us have had this thing and had no effects from it, and then it either disappears or we find an effective treatment to hold us over until there's a vaccine. That would be wonderful. If that is the case and happens, however, it doesn't in my book make the worldwide response wrong.

No one knew enough about this to know what it was capable of a few months ago, and we had a very limited timeframe to react. The options were do nothing and hope for the best but fear millions of possible deaths and destruction of our healthcare system, or do something and buy ourselves more time while stemming the tide. I'm pretty much always going to choose Option B, but then I'm not a gambler to begin with.

Reactions: 64Spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT