ADVERTISEMENT

NET rankings

Are you saying this is not a resume worthy of an NCAA 5 Seed?
Yes. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how their NET ranking is so high. Their first game - a 44 point win over Army - must have had some crazy efficiency metrics that broke the formula. But they immediately lost to Army the next day.

Colgate scenario is why NET is going to be a challenge. The whole PAtriot Leagues is playing only conference games ( save Army and Navy I believe) so how do you compare them to anyone else??

For those of us interested in reverse engineering the net algorithm, situations like Colgate are super informative.

This season, with reduced inter conference play, will make metrics less accurate in general. Hopefully this is taken into account by the selection committee.

Yeah, Colgate definitely benefiting from that Army win somehow. One of the few connections outside of the Patriot so far.

In other news, Fordham only trailed Davidson 45–44 a few minutes ago, but the Wildcats are now on a 16–0 run to open things up.

This is why it would have been nice to get a couple blowout wins. Clearly the point margin is factoring into a few teams' rankings in the NET. Colgate has 3 wins of 40+ points, and even though they are against garbage teams, that seems to be driving the ranking.

Loyola beat UNI by 40 something and immediately jumped up like 30 spots. Utah State (I know, I know, they have a couple nice wins recently) got fat on SEVEN Q4 games and was way up in the rankings as a result.

We need to stick it to Fordham and GW or whoever else is awful this year and not let up. It could make the difference in the end.

Last edited:
Davidson's RPI actually dropped 4 spots with a 15-point win over Fordham...will be interesting to see what happens with the NET tomorrow. The NET and RPI are particularly out of sync on Davidson, as their RPI is all the way down around 140.

This is why it would have been nice to get a couple blowout wins. Clearly the point margin is factoring into a few teams' rankings in the NET. Colgate has 3 wins of 40+ points, and even though they are against garbage teams, that seems to be driving the ranking.

Loyola beat UNI by 40 something and immediately jumped up like 30 spots. Utah State (I know, I know, they have a couple nice wins recently) got fat on SEVEN Q4 games and was way up in the rankings as a result.

We need to stick it to Fordham and GW or whoever else is awful this year and not let up. It could make the difference in the end.

Let's beat Broad Street by 80 in the game at Robins and by 60 at the Seagull and that would resolve the issue.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
For those of us interested in reverse engineering the net algorithm, situations like Colgate are super informative.

This season, with reduced inter conference play, will make metrics less accurate in general. Hopefully this is taken into account by the selection committee.
Is something up with Pomeroy’s site? Seems to be drawing from the wrong raw data.

At the risk of (re)opening a can of worms, it also counsels towards keeping your best players in for longer to keep the efficiency metrics strong...

At the risk of (re)opening a can of worms, it also counsels towards keeping your best players in for longer to keep the efficiency metrics strong...
True, and stupid that this should ever matter. They thought they maybe fixed that by taking the point spread out of it, but when you beat a team by a lot, your efficiency will be real good. So, yes, the bigger the margin, the better, but it is also supposed to matter who you play, so Colgate should not be getting so much NET love for beating bad teams by a lot. That is crazy.

Spiders jump up five spots to #50, passing VCU, Furman, Winthrop, UNC, Pitt, and Seton Hall, but getting leapfrogged by Bona, which moved up 15 spots to #42 thanks to their win over VCU.

Davidson managed to stay a Q1, and Loyola is all the way up to #30. Wofford continues creeping toward a Q2, while URI and Kentucky are hanging in there as Q2s. Morehead is just barely hanging on as a Q3.

Current A-10 rankings:

16. SLU
42. Bona
50. UR
57. VCU
70. URI
73. Davidson
104. Dayton
107. UMass
173. Mason
174. Duquesne
212. La Salle
249. St. Joe's
263. GW
328. Fordham

Our NET résumé:

Q1 (2–1)
21. WVU (A)
30. Loyola (N)
73. Davidson (A)

Q2 (2–1)
42. Bona (H)
70. URI (H)
93. Kentucky (A)

Q3 (4–0)
81. Wofford (H)
166. Vanderbilt (A)
173. George Mason (A)
200. Morehead St. (N)

Q4 (1–1)
179. Hofstra (H)
216. UNI (H)

Reactions: VT4700
Spiders move up three spots after today's win. SLU dropped 11 spots, while Dayton moved up 15. Davidson continues to move up. Hofstra is on the verge of moving up to a Q3 loss, while La Salle isn't too far off either. URI bouncing back and forth between Q2 and Q3.

Loyola just keeps moving up...if they move up one more spot, they'll be a coveted Q1a win. Amazingly, Kentucky is benefitting from a strong SEC even though they're losing most of their games...they're only 5 spots away from becoming a Q1 win for us.

Current A-10 rankings:

31. SLU
42. Bona
44. VCU
57. UR
66. Davidson
76. URI
90. Dayton
112. UMass
161. Mason
164. Duquesne
176. La Salle
245. GW
259. St. Joe's
315. Fordham

Our NET résumé:

Q1 (2–1)
21. WVU (A) - L
26. Loyola (N) - W
66. Davidson (A) - W

Q2 (1–1)
42. Bona (H) - L
80. Kentucky (A) - W

Q3 (5–0)
76. URI (H) - W
86. Wofford (H) - W
161. George Mason (A) - W
180. Vanderbilt (A) - W
190. Morehead St. (N) - W

Q4 (2–2)
163. Hofstra (H) - L
176. La Salle (H) - L
213. UNI (H) - W
259. St. Joe's (A) - W

Reactions: 8legs1dream
We are 5-2 against the top 100 so far. I don't think anyone else in our league has more than four top-100 wins, and it's only Rhody and Dayton who have that many.

Reactions: plydogg
Time for another NET update...nothing else going on in Spider hoops land. We've actually moved up to 52 in the NET thanks to our opponents doing well. Loyola has incredibly moved up to #16. Kentucky is just barely a Q1 win for us, while URI can't quite get over the hump to a Q2. Hofstra has moved all the way up to #135, so they're squarely a Q3 loss now.

Current A-10 rankings:

35. Bona
36. SLU
43. VCU
52. UR
65. Davidson
76. URI
84. Dayton
120. UMass
140. Duquesne
171. Mason
183. La Salle
238. GW
268. St. Joe's
321. Fordham

Our NET résumé:

Q1 (3–1)
16. Loyola (N) - W
23. WVU (A) - L
65. Davidson (A) - W
74. Kentucky (A) - W

Q2 (0–1)
35. Bona (H) - L

Q3 (5–1)
76. URI (H) - W
102. Wofford (H) - W
135. Hofstra (H) - L
148. Vanderbilt (A) - W
149. Morehead St. (N) - W
171. George Mason (A) - W

Q4 (2–1)
183. La Salle (H) - L
196. UNI (H) - W
268. St. Joe's (A) - W

Next helpful step would be for Bona & URI to move up 5.

Bonnies 19 votes good for #32 and SLU 11 votes good for #34 in others receiving votes - and SLU voted #1 for exposing Covid coverups in rival programs....................

Any team in a P6 conference like UK is going to get credit for playing a lot of good teams all year long. They beat Florida, which is basically what's propping them up right now. They will beat a few other good SEC teams before it's all said and done and that should be enough to keep them in the top 75. I don't know how much credit we'll get for that win if they end up with a losing record, but it will still be a Q1 win, and those count for something.

Also, Ky. has played a really tough schedule so far. So, top 75 is probably legit for them right now since they could be maybe 10-5 instead of 5-10 with an easier schedule.

Loyola is up to #14...crazy.

Wofford had a nice win over ETSU last night as well to move up to #94. Still a ways to go to move up to a Q2 for us though...would have to get to #75.

Loyola is basically the best team in the country, and we beat them, so just put us in the tournament. We'll take the next month off to practice and get ready for Indy.

Really, just give the nation what it wants -- a rematch for the national title. No need to worry about bringing 66 other teams there.

Loyola is up to #14...crazy.

Wofford had a nice win over ETSU last night as well to move up to #94. Still a ways to go to move up to a Q2 for us though...would have to get to #75.
My NYE post here #411 & your #412. You thought 42 was too high...;)

It seems this bizarre year has...dare I say it....been helpful to the non-power conferences in the NET.
Two MVC teams in the Top 14.
Four MWC and Four A-10 teams in the "at-large zone" with Davidson not far outside.
I'd like to see an A-10 team higher than #34, but there's time.

Colgate is still ****ed up.

Don't forget Colgate at #16 while having played exactly zero Quad 1 or Quad 2 games.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT