ADVERTISEMENT

My all-time Richmond wish list

Ha! Ha! I'll be 70 next month. My parents started taking me to games as an infant. I remember when our home court was Benedictine's gym. Went on my Dad's tickets until I got out of college in 1970 and started buying my own.

What was included in the original post was “I had to actually see them play”. So the original poster can be forgiven.

Subsequent posters made an assumption about what time period that was and bound themselves by it arbitrarily.
Yep and Johnny Newman is the best player ever to take the floor for UR and (yes I will hear about this in more than one place), arguably the best player ever to play D1 ball in RVA (there was a guy at VUU and a VCU guy that might have a beef with my opinion). An absolute monster ending up as a lock to have a long successful NBA career. Wish every one of you could have been there to see that super smoooooth dude play. Could score at will and The Man when it absolutely had to happen.

I remember Michael Perry from the ECAC South days. He was a prolific scorer and he would be one of my wings. Kevin Anderson at PG with Curtis Blair by his side. Johnny Newman would add to the multi-dimensional wings and I would go smaller with Pete Woolfolk down low. Pete was able to handle big men by hammering them with his big body. Let's run and gun.

Kevin Anderson
Curtis Blair
Michael Perry
Johnny Newman
Pete Woolfolk

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
I remember Michael Perry from the ECAC South days. He was a prolific scorer and he would be one of my wings. Kevin Anderson at PG with Curtis Blair by his side. Johnny Newman would add to the multi-dimensional wings and I would go smaller with Pete Woolfolk down low. Pete was able to handle big men by hammering them with his big body. Let's run and gun.

Kevin Anderson
Curtis Blair
Michael Perry
Johnny Newman
Pete Woolfolk

Swap out Kenny Atkinson for Kevin and you really have gone "old school". I like your line up except for the size, I agree Pete was a monster down low, but not sure I wouldn't swap out. What about Grant (I know its early), BiIl Flye, or even Steve Kratzer?

Swap out Kenny Atkinson for Kevin and you really have gone "old school". I like your line up except for the size, I agree Pete was a monster down low, but not sure I wouldn't swap out. What about Grant (I know its early), BiIl Flye, or even Steve Kratzer?
Well, Grant has played one season. I love his scoring but down low he gets beat on D and Buck led the team in rebounds last season. Love the fact that GG can shoot from distance to spread the floor but to be a winner you need to be tough down low. Pete made up for his lack of height with an innate ability to be in the correct position. He was tough down there and he averaged 18 pts and 9 boards his senior season. That is why I would take Woolfolk.

Last edited:
Woolfolk was great ... awesome senior year.
but you're comparing senior year Woolfolk to freshman year Golden.
senior Woolfolk > freshman Golden
freshman Golden > freshman Woolfolk

just saying Woolfolk developed, just as Golden will.
Woolfolk averaged 6 rpg as a freshman and just 4.6 rpg as a soph.
he became special after that.
Sure. One season does not make a player. People tend to forget the term sophomore slump. I doubt Golden will have much a slump but he is on an island down low his season so it will tax him.

Last edited:

Kevin Anderson
Curtis Blair
Michael Perry
Johnny Newman
Pete Woolfolk
You know I would disagree with your placement of players, but not the players. Woolfolk at the 5 and Perry at the 4 and Newman at the 3. Perry though shorter than Newman was a banger and better in and around the lane then out on the wing. Newman was a much better outside shooter than MP.

Reactions: Marley13
You know I would disagree with your placement of players, but not the players. Woolfolk at the 5 and Perry at the 4 and Newman at the 3. Perry though shorter than Newman was a banger and better in and around the lane then out on the wing. Newman was a much better outside shooter than MP.
I did not really place them in positions although I went two guards, two wings and a center to set picks, rebound and play tough. The guards and wings can move inside and out. I am going with positionless basketball with my five. That is why I said multi-dimensional wings. I am not going with the PG, SG, SF, PF, C labels. Heck, Johnny Newman can bring the ball up for my all-time team.

Heck, Johnny Newman can bring the ball up for my all-time team.
by far the weakest part of his game.
JNew was awesome here but I'm still amazed at his NBA career.
tough enough for a 2nd rounder to make it at all. yet he went on for 16 years. that's really rare. and honestly, he didn't shoot well from 3 (hit 0.5 per game), didn't rebound, and didn't handle. he just hustled like crazy and attacked the rim whenever possible. probably a great locker room guy too.

tough enough for a 2nd rounder to make it at all. yet he went on for 16 years. that's really rare. and honestly, he didn't shoot well from 3 (hit 0.5 per game), didn't rebound, and didn't handle. he just hustled like crazy and attacked the rim whenever possible. probably a great locker room guy too.
He did not get three unless it was a And One so why not step back from the elbow? I would not make a habit of him bringing it up but letting him create off the dribble from time to time would be fine.

I haven't posted on here in a long time because you guys basically make we want to claw my eyes out but I like this conversation. I've seen a little over 40 years of Spider basketball.....Johnny Newman is the best player we've ever had hands down. John Schweitz is the most pure shooter we've ever had - he'd score 25 ppg in CM's offense. Any all time team needs to include Mike Perry due to his being an absolute force all over the court The center position is tough as the spot in general has changed over time - Bill Flye was great in Tarrant's offense, Pete Woolfolk was a poor man's Barkley, and it is really hard to ignore what TJ did for us. I think the answer there lies with who your coach is and what offense you're running. The PG is a tough one as we've had some greats but the grittiest, most clutch absolute gamer player we have ever had, in my opinion, is Kenny Atkinson. If we need one shot to win the game he is my choice of all time Spider to take it. This is fun and we could put together a hell of a team over the years!

Maybe not high volume, but 33.6% from 3 for NBA total.
And a few good years...
'89 Knicks 97 of 287
'96 Bucks 61 of 162
'00 Nets 72 of 190

Anyone want to try to win 2-0?

Greg Beckwith
Tony Dobbins
Scott Stapleton
John Davis
Steve Kratzer

with Garrett & Gilyard on the bench

As far as I can tell this is about your dream UR team. That has nothing to do with total 4 year body of work It has everything to do with who the best guys were. I'm all in with Woolfolk.

senior year Woolfolk was a heck of a player. he's a good choice. I'm still going with projected senior year Golden though.
there are no rules!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT