ADVERTISEMENT

My all-time Richmond wish list

Gospiders06

Team Manager
Jan 25, 2018
I have thought of a team that is full of past or present players at Richmond. I am thinking of starting five only and I had to actually to see them play.

PG Darien Brothers/Kevin Anderson

SG Mike Skrocki/Cedrick Lindsey/SDJ Jones/David Gonzalez

SF Kevin Hovde

PF TJ Cline/Dan Geriot/ Darrius Garrett/Grant Golden

C Justin Harper

Coach Dick Tarrant

Notables:

Tony Dobbins

Jonathan Baker

Kevin Smith

Kendall Anthony

Terry Allen

http://richmondspiders.com/news/2013/1/22/206063968.aspx

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/RecordBook.pdf

I have thought of a team that is full of past or present players at Richmond. I am thinking of starting five only and I had to actually to see them play.

PG Darien Brothers/Kevin Anderson

SG Mike Skrocki/Cedrick Lindsey/SDJ Jones/David Gonzalez

SF Kevin Hovde

PF TJ Cline/Dan Geriot/ Darrius Garrett/Grant Golden

C Justin Harper

Coach Dick Tarrant

Notables:

Tony Dobbins

Jonathan Baker

Kevin Smith

Kendall Anthony

Terry Allen

http://richmondspiders.com/news/2013/1/22/206063968.aspx

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/RecordBook.pdf

Signed Kevin Hovde

Go,
I have no idea where you are going with this list, but you do have some very interesting positions assigned to some of your players.

I loved me some Hovde as much as the next guy but don't think I would put him as an all-time at SF for us. I don't think Hovde would put himself on that list.

I would add that Darien was a 2G not a PG, Ced was a PG not a SG, and skrocki was definitely a small forward.

Are you suggesting this is how you'd line them up? I’m confused too I guess.

I would add that Darien was a 2G not a PG, Ced was a PG not a SG, and skrocki was definitely a small forward.

Are you suggesting this is how you'd line them up? I’m confused too I guess.
Agreed Harp is not a center but the I would classify the 4 PF he listed as centers. It is interesting to look at this and see how well Mooney has done as developing really good centers and similarily how poorly we have done at developing or recruiting really good PF's. I would have Harp and TA on the list of really good PF's during Mooney's tenure. Given that we are in Year 13 of his tenure, having only 2 guys in that category is a problem.

I realize this thread is not just Mooney guys but that stuck out to me.

DWill had his moments. Barring a back injury and a bunch of sensamilla, things could have been different with him.

But yes, we’ve had more Connor smiths than terry Allens.

If I had to choose a starting 5 from the last 25 years:

PG - Kevin Anderson
SG - Tony Dobbins
SF - Greg Stevenson
PF - Justin Harper
C - TJ Cline

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
Wow this is tough but here it goes

PG. Kevin Anderson/Greg Beckwith/Ken Atkinson
SG. Curtis Blair/Tony Dobbins/Kevin Eastman
SF. Aron Stewart/Mike Shrocki/John Shweitz/Greg Stevenson/Johnny Newman
PF. Mike Perry/Justin Harper/Kenny Wood
C. Bob McCurdy/TJ Cline/Peter Woolfolk

To name just five favorites for me is impossible due to the decades I have watched.
The hardest position could be the SF position due to fact we had so many choices there.
I do think that if you ask me again in 3 years, Grant and Jake and maybe Nick could be
added to the list.

Few reasons why certain favorites:

- Dobbins and Eastman were not pure shooters but they carried the same defensive
tenacity and toughness. As the expression goes, you would want them beside you in the trench
- Perry and Wood at PF were more like a SF size but had to play undersized and at times
were dominant on the boards. Mike Perry would have been even better but he did not have
a good supporting cast
- Why Woolfolk at center at 6'6? Because he had to guard and play David Robinson for several
years and the two of them had epic battles. People forget that McCurdy was pretty good
passer too due to fact he was such a great shooter. Epic wars against Leonard and Mays from Furman.

Reactions: Gospiders06
3 out of 5 spots are easy for me:

SF: Johnny Newman
PF: Justin Harper (but Pete Woolfolk should get a lot of love at this spot)
c: TJ Cline

PG for me is either KA (Atkinson) or KA2 (Anderson). Both so tough and flat out winners. I'll take Anderson based on more physical talent and he willed us into the sweet 16, but this one is close.

SG to me is the weakest spot overall and thats what makes it tough. Lots of good players but no real great player etc. I might be inclined to slide Newman to 2 and pick one of the other SF over any of the SG for an all-time team. If I go that way, I'd take Stevenson as my 5th. If forced to pick someone who actually played 2 at UR, I think i might go with Gonzalvez as he might be the best offense/defense combo amongst them, but again, this is the toughest spot for me!

PG - Kevin Anderson
SG - Tony Dobbins
SF - Greg Stevenson
PF - Justin Harper
C - TJ Cline

I can't argue that.

I would offer up Gonzo for that SG spot. Dobbins was probably the best defensive player, I've seen at Richmond (I haven't been around as long as some of your old timers). However, Dobbins was more limited offensively. Gonzo was also a really good defender (not on Dobbins level) but was a much more potent offensive player than Dobbins.

And Greg Stevenson as our SF is a no brainer. He doesn't get the love he deserves because he only was here for 2 years but I can't think of a more prolific and effortless scorer than Stevenson.

I also give Geriot (pre-injury) a look at center. TJ would get the nod, but I loved Geriot's tough interior defense. His ACL injury robbed him of his already limited athleticism but whomever had to go against Geriot in the blocks, left the game was some nice bruises.

Reactions: 01Arachnid
I'm kind of surprised by all the Harper love. heck of a senior year for sure. are we just looking at senior years?

I was just trying to find a way to include my favorite players on the floor at the same time. Tony Dobbins shot at Kansas will always be a memory of mine.

I'm kind of surprised by all the Harper love. heck of a senior year for sure. are we just looking at senior years?
Agreed. He was a slow developer. I couldn't think of anyone else at his position though. Terry Allen, maybe, but TA lacked some mental toughness for me with his game.

PG - Kevin Anderson
SG - Tony Dobbins
SF - Greg Stevenson
PF - Justin Harper
C - TJ Cline
... just a few comments...
Greg Stevenson 100% agreement!
I want to put Curtis Blair in their at PG/SG, but i think thats 25+ years.
... Same with Kenny Atkinson, but Kevin Anderson is solid regardless.
Love Dobbins but id have another 2 guard.
Cline is deserving but i think well be say GG in a few years.

I think both Stevenson's are still playing professionally in S. Korea!
Both over 40.

The one name no one mentions on these lists is Rodney Rice...

I think both Stevenson's are still playing professionally in S. Korea!
Both over 40.

They are -- There is plenty to google about them. They've both had good careers. I believe Jarod is planning on retiring this season, if he hasn't already done so. I wish I could retire!!!!

PG for me is either KA (Atkinson) or KA2 (Anderson). Both so tough and flat out winners. I'll take Anderson based on more physical talent and he willed us into the sweet 16, but this one is close.

SG to me is the weakest spot overall and thats what makes it tough. Lots of good players but no real great player etc. I might be inclined to slide Newman to 2 and pick one of the other SF over any of the SG for an all-time team. If I go that way, I'd take Stevenson as my 5th. If forced to pick someone who actually played 2 at UR, I think i might go with Gonzalvez as he might be the best offense/defense combo amongst them, but again, this is the toughest spot for me!
Philly, I thought about moving Aron Stewart to SG due to fact he could dribble very well and we knew how he could shoot outside.

PG - Kevin Anderson
SG - Tony Dobbins
SF - Greg Stevenson
PF - Justin Harper
C - TJ Cline
I'll go last 30 years:

Kenny Atkinson/Kevin Anders0n
Curtis Blair/
Kevin Smith/Scott Stapleton
Harp/Kenny Wood
Winiecki/Kennm bbt y3edrrrrry yt?,

One of the very easiest positions for me, CURTIS BLAIR. Drafted 2nd round NBA, clutch scorer, great defender, great athlete, tough competitor. I like Gonzo too.

PG: Kevin Anderson
SG: John Schweitz
SF: John Newman
PF: TJ Cline
C: Grant Golden

I hesitate to put Grant on this list, but given the lack of true centers in our program over the last 40 years, he gets the nod.

Reactions: SpiderK
PG: Kevin Anderson
SG: John Schweitz
SF: John Newman
PF: TJ Cline
C: Grant Golden

I hesitate to put Grant on this list, but given the lack of true centers in our program over the last 40 years, he gets the nod.
TJ and Geriot were both centers, both were pretty darn good. Grant is more of a pure center than TJ.

The question with Golden right now is will he have the supporting cast necessary to really show his abilities and be able to lead this team to some type of NCAA bid.

I don't even know what differentiates a center and a power forward any more. To me, Grant plays more like a center who has a perimeter skills. TJ played more like a big forward who had inside skills.
C ... F ... all semantics anyway. Both are really good at this basketball thing.

Reactions: 01Arachnid
I don't even know what differentiates a center and a power forward any more. To me, Grant plays more like a center who has a perimeter skills. TJ played more like a big forward who had inside skills.
C ... F ... all semantics anyway. Both are really good at this basketball thing.
Particularly in our system, the differentiation is really tough. I agree with your assessments. TJ was a truly unique player with his passing and ball handling abilities. He is a bit like Ben Simmons, a guard in a big man's body. Except TJ has an outside shot.

TJ and Geriot were both centers, both were pretty darn good. Grant is more of a pure center than TJ.

Agreed, but to me, TJC was really more of a PF. Not that it matters, more a matter of semantics.

Schweitz was an amazing SG who played before the 3-point shot, would have possibly been a top 10 scorer had the rules been different back then. He was also a 90%+ FT shooter IIRC. NBA draft pick as well.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Schweitz was an amazing SG who played before the 3-point shot, would have possibly been a top 10 scorer had the rules been different back then. He was also a 90%+ FT shooter IIRC. NBA draft pick as well.
I never saw Schweitz, Perry, Stewart or McCurdy to compare.

I'm with Johnny Newman. I could put any 4 of your chosen on the floor with him and it would be total World domination.

25 years was not mentioned in the title. To leave out our all time leading scorer, a 16 year NBA pro, and all around nice guy, shows an amazing ignorance of UR basketball history!
What was included in the original post was “I had to actually see them play”. So the original poster can be forgiven.

Subsequent posters made an assumption about what time period that was and bound themselves by it arbitrarily.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
What was included in the original post was “I had to actually see them play”. So the original poster can be forgiven.

Subsequent posters made an assumption about what time period that was and bound themselves by it arbitrarily.
Ya... What he said...

fwiw, I'm not sure there are many UR basketball fans who are "ignorant" about Johnny Newman's contributions at UR, the NBA, and elsewhere.

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT