ADVERTISEMENT

Spiders basketball success is in the rear view mirror

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
Talking about the past won't help where program is now.We are now less than mediocre, at best.We are less than competitive even in the A-10.Romanticizing and glorifying the past is always fun but often times breeds delusional views.We see illusionary postings on the basketball board quite often on how great we will be or because we offered a skinny 6-4,170 kid who is the next coming of Johnny Newman.Living in the past is neither healthy nor constructive.Knocking off an overrated Vanderbilt and Morehead knocking off Louisville in Round 1 was a stroke of luck for us.Luckily it paved the way for a Sweet16 appearance where Kansas had us for lunch.Look forward to celebrating the 10th Anniversary of our last NCAA appearance in 2021.

Five years ago, experience carried Spiders to Sweet 16
By JOHN O'CONNOR Richmond Times-Dispatch|7 hours ago
56f05773d9fb7.preview.jpg

The University of Richmond's first step on the road to the Sweet 16 five years ago was marked with a trail of blood.

Spiders center Dan Geriot absorbed a first-half elbow from Vanderbilt's 6-foot-11 Festus Ezeli in the round of 64. Geriot staggered to the UR bench as blood dripped from his nose and lip onto the Pepsi Center court in Denver.

After a short break and the use of much gauze, Geriot was reinserted to Richmond's NCAA tournament opener. In retrospect, his comeback symbolized the 12th-seeded Spiders' 69-66 upset of fifth-seeded Vandy. UR trailed by 11 after 14 minutes and was down 9 with 15:30 remaining. The Spiders took their first lead with 12:05 left.

"When that clock starts, it's the team that settles in the fastest that usually gets the jump," Richmond forward Kevin Smith said after the game. "We didn't settle in too well in the first half. Same thing in the second half. Then we got our composure and played our ball."

UR's poise was no surprise. The Spiders started four seniors, Geriot, Smith, guard Kevin Anderson and forward Justin Harper, along with sophomore guard Darien Brothers.

Smith on Monday said what stands out about that team to him was "just how close we all were. You were playing the most important part of the college basketball season with some of the people that you cared about the most besides your blood family. That played a major part in how we were able to advance."

At this time five years ago, the Spiders were preparing for the second Sweet 16 appearance in program history, their first since 1988. UR's elimination of Vanderbilt in the round of 64 was one of two unexpected results in Denver. Morehead State, seeded No. 13, knocked out fourth-seeded Louisville 62-61, setting up a UR-Morehead State game with a trip to the Sweet 16 on the line.

The Spiders' matchup defense double-teamed Morehead State star forward Kenneth Faried each time he received the ball inside. Faried scored 11 points, 7 fewer than his average. Richmond never trailed and won 65-48.

"Defense is our bread and butter," 6-foot-9 Spiders post man Darrius Garrett said after his shot-blocking and interior presence helped control the 6-8 Faried.

"You could not have seen any more hunger to be locked in and good in that tournament," Smith said of Garrett. "He applied his will on those games."

UR moved to a Sweet 16 date with Kansas, a No. 1 seed, in San Antonio. The Jayhawks' potent offense (82 ppg) greatly concerned Richmond coach Chris Mooney in the days leading up to the game at the Alamodome. Kansas did what Mooney feared. KU went up 17-7, 29-9, and 41-22 at halftime. UR's 29-8 season, which included the Atlantic 10 Conference championship and the school record for wins, ended with a 77-57 defeat. Richmond finished No. 21 in the coaches' poll.

That Spiders' team included several players who went on to make a living in hoops. Still playing this season are Harper (recently returned to NBA Developmental League after 20 days with Detroit Pistons), Anderson (Greece), Garrett (Poland), Brothers (Finland) and forward Josh Duinker (Hungary).

Geriot, who was an assistant at Campbell and Princeton, works as a video coordinator and player-development assistant with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Smith, who played professionally, is a member of the Campbell staff. Kevin Hovde, a reserve guard in 2011, is on the Columbia staff.

Richmond also qualified for the 2010 NCAA tournament. That breakthrough, UR's first appearance in the NCAAs since 2004, along with the advancement to the 2011 Sweet 16, made Mooney an attractive candidate for other jobs. After the 2010 season, Boston College interviewed him and Seton Hall also was interested. UR at that time extended Mooney's contract through 2016-17.

After the 2011 Sweet 16 appearance, Georgia Tech communicated with Mooney about the Yellow Jackets' opening. Richmond offered a 10-year extension to which Mooney agreed. He is under contract through 2020-21.

Last edited:
father your wishes are not going to change the situation. Chris is our coach and will be at least for the near future, Why do you obsess? If there is a change soon it will be because Chris chooses to leave us.
I though he meant Geroit...

Not that many seasons back, some St. Joe's fans were saying much the same about Phil Martelli, as some Spiders are saying about CM. Who knows what a couple seasons forward, will bring.

He's got two years and he needs to make the NCAAs in both of them to keep his job, IMO. Let's hope he figures it out.

I hope so too. But from this vantage point, it does not look like the NCAAs are all that likely next year. If it were to happen, I believe we will need a great deal of contribution from the incoming freshmen. And as promising as they seem, doing that from the get go doesn't seem all that likely.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Fan 1, Many of us have accepted the fact the CM is going to be our coach for the near future and we all hope for the sake of the program and the fans that he returns us to glory. The fans though have not created the situation where we find ourselves now. With the resources expended, how can anyone defend an 11 year win rate of 54% yet, we have many on this Board who fail to hold CM responsible or accountable for any aspect of the program and continue to rationalize the situation. The next two recruiting classes are hyped just as the last 5 which have produced very few A10 quality players so while there should be optimism there should be skepticism as well. The UR athletic situation is unique. Coach Rocco has shown he can operate within its pararmeters in recruiting 63 athletes and be successful while CM can't recruit 13 players with basketball skills to make us competitive within the system that he uses. IMO there are too many things within the program under his leadership that appear suspect based on the 11 year record. All of this has been said in various ways before and will continue to be expressed until the program is righted. There is absolutely no way that the BB program should be in the situation that we find it now.

Last edited:
I hope so too. But from this vantage point, it does not look like the NCAAs are all that likely next year. If it were to happen, I believe we will need a great deal of contribution from the incoming freshmen. And as promising as they seem, doing that from the get go doesn't seem all that likely.
Totally agree, but I would tell Mooney "tough." He got us into this mess by missing them for 5 years in a row, so he has to find a way to make them the next 2 years or else we will eat the remaining 3 years of that deal and find someone else who can.

BIT TALK EIGHT from someone who will not have one iota to do with his future. you can feel that way, express it here, as long as you know it does not mean squat, no matter how you emphasize it.

absolutely not, look at what i said, you do have the right to say your piece but look at how you said it.......like it was fact or that you were in charge and it was going to happen. NOW, if you are the or one of the individuals who ponied up big bucks for the contract, then you can say it anyway you like but having met you, don't think you are one of those nice people.

I think it's pretty clear that since this is a message board, the things we all say here are our opinions. Unless someone had me pinned as Keith Gill or a Robins family member.

Lots of P5 schools who don't achieve what some of you think UR should be able to do, in terms of NCAA tourneys, and they have all the recruiting advantages over UR. And two seasons ago, we missed the NCAA tourney by a single game. But let's fire him over losing that game.

As for Rocco, I like him as a coach, but there is a big difference. Rocco does not coach in the strongest division, we compete with other FCS schools. CM is coaching in the top division.

Lots of P5 schools who don't achieve what some of you think UR should be able to do, in terms of NCAA tourneys, and they have all the recruiting advantages over UR.

You're right, they don't. And that's why almost all of them fire their coaches after 4 or 5 years without an NCAA bid.

I get the feeling that Mooney's leash goes until at least the 2018-19 season. Meaning if no NCAA trips in the next two years, that third year would be put up or shut up.

I get the feeling that Mooney's leash goes until at least the 2018-19 season. Meaning if no NCAA trips in the next two years, that third year would be put up or shut up.
I fear you are correct. We run a tight ship. "If you miss the NCAAs for seven straight years, we're only giving you ONE MORE YEAR to try to make them! And we're really serious this time!! Don't test us!!"

Totally agree, but I would tell Mooney "tough." He got us into this mess by missing them for 5 years in a row, so he has to find a way to make them the next 2 years or else we will eat the remaining 3 years of that deal and find someone else who can.
Agree with what you said. With that said, Mooney is going nowhere. He's probably been given a free pass for the next 5 years. Other schools would have already probably let him go. How many of the posters here have jobs that pay well and requires an equivalent level of performance?

Reactions: Eight Legger
I'm afraid if he's here the next 5 years, fans will become so apathetic that they'll stop going, and the Athletic Department will have to give tickets away to kids groups in order to put fans in the Robins Center seats. I'll be there, but it might become hate watching at that point.

The Athletic department is resting on their laurels with "the highest average attendance in 20 years". I'm expecting a 20% drop in attendance next year.

I would bump that up 1 year. The temperature under his seat went up significantly this year from media and fans alike. If we don't make it next year or at least show next year that we are moving towards that goal, I think the following year is put up or shut.

That would be 7 years of no NCAA tourney, even much smaller programs wouldn't put up this, we have higher aspirations than that.

I agree with 32's premise with this thread. History is great but it comes across as pathetic when our cross town rivals have made each of the last 5 NCAA since 2011 and we've been on our couch.

Please make some more history soon or make someone history.

Lots of P5 schools who don't achieve what some of you think UR should be able to do, in terms of NCAA tourneys, and they have all the recruiting advantages over UR. And two seasons ago, we missed the NCAA tourney by a single game. But let's fire him over losing that game.

The perennial bottom-feeding P5 schools pretty much all have structural issues -- poor facilities, underpaid coach, apathetic administration, etc. They don't invest in the program and accept their fate. Any school that is committed to winning and investing resources should expect a return, and ours has not been good of late.

well, while the cupboard isn't bare I don't think any here see us as a likely at-large team next season, do we?
in fact, I'd say a lot of the "this is the year" talk this past season was more like "this needs to be the year" because next year we have roster problems. the senior class will have 2 very good players and a maybe. everyone has that. but we'll have no juniors. and we can't be very confident in next year's sophomores yet outside of Khwan. and the freshmen will be freshmen, even if they are good.

even the most optimistic here can't look at next year's roster and feel good about our chances at an at-large. if we're even in the discussion next February then a few of the young unproven guys really stepped up.

well, while the cupboard isn't bare I don't think any here see us as a likely at-large team next season, do we?
in fact, I'd say a lot of the "this is the year" talk this past season was more like "this needs to be the year" because next year we have roster problems. the senior class will have 2 very good players and a maybe. everyone has that. but we'll have no juniors. and we can't be very confident in next year's sophomores yet outside of Khwan. and the freshmen will be freshmen, even if they are good.

even the most optimistic here can't look at next year's roster and feel good about our chances at an at-large. if we're even in the discussion next February then a few of the young unproven guys really stepped up.
Wrong little spiderman! The Ulla is very optimistic that we will be in line for an at large bid. The time spent playing this summer during our foreign trip will provide experience and esprit de corps to put us on track to be a very good team. In addition, Coach will make changes needed to ensure success. Roll Spide! OSC

like the optimism, Ulla! can always count on you. but our roster next year doesn't stack up against at -large contenders. not even sure that can be debated. if we're to succeed, it will be because the young guys outperform expectations and CM does a masterful job.
(I know that'll rile up a few people here!)

Fan 1, Many of us have accepted the fact the CM is going to be our coach for the near future and we all hope for the sake of the program and the fans that he returns us to glory. The fans though have not created the situation where we find ourselves now. With the resources expended, how can anyone defend an 11 year win rate of 54% yet, we have many on this Board who fail to hold CM responsible or accountable for any aspect of the program and continue to rationalize the situation. The next two recruiting classes are hyped just as the last 5 which have produced very few A10 quality players so while there should be optimism there should be skepticism as well. The UR athletic situation is unique. Coach Rocco has shown he can operate within its pararmeters in recruiting 63 athletes and be successful while CM can't recruit 13 players with basketball skills to make us competitive within the system that he uses. IMO there are too many things within the program under his leadership that appear suspect based on the 11 year record. All of this has been said in various ways before and will continue to be expressed until the program is righted. There is absolutely no way that the BB program should be in the situation that we find it now.

To be fair, take out the first two years of his tenure and CM is 60%, not 54%. Not Tarrant/Beilein league but still not a 500 coach during that time.

Reactions: Ulla1
I don't see it, but the way an at large would happen would be if TJ, Shawn'dre, and Khwan lead us out of the gate strong. Then if we pick up 1 (or more) quality win in the out of conference schedule, and if we really get going in conference with two (or more) of our freshmen coming on strong in the second half we could be in the conversation. For me that's the optimistic view. Unfortunately, my pessimism tends to win out. :(

To be fair, take out the first two years of his tenure and CM is 60%, not 54%. Not Tarrant/Beilein league but still not a 500 coach during that time.
72, to be fair, he is 54.8% over the last five years (91-75). In each of those 5 years, we have lost at least 14 games. The per season average over the last 5 years is about 18-15. We have lost 3 of the last 4 to GMU and two straight to JMU and finished 9th in the conference with 7 wins with the CM's "system". With our "great family atmosphere", we lost two key reserves for various reasons. If we were a stock, based on the 5 year trend and recent performance, Jim Cramer would be saying "sell,sell,sell"!!! As the old saying goes, Hope is not a strategy!

KF and SDJ are a very good backcourt and MW can give us 3's in bunches...just needs to do it far more consistently. TJ is an all conference caliber player...particularly on offense. Then you have the freshmen wing players who all seem to be high level recruits for our normal recruiting level. That's the positive view.

Now,

TJ gets in early foul trouble....???? checks in to guard the opposing center. Heck, who even starts at the 4 or 5 assuming that MW plays the 3? PF? Golden? I know that the modern game is all about the 3 point shooter but we really don't have any depth inside and we lose TJ and MW to graduation after next season. Recruiting and roster management should not be in this dire condition after 11 years of a coach's regime (At least in regard to our front court situation).

front court depth might be dire ... if we don't add another bigger forward for this coming season. but I'm pretty sure we will.

like the optimism, Ulla! can always count on you. but our roster next year doesn't stack up against at -large contenders. not even sure that can be debated. if we're to succeed, it will be because the young guys outperform expectations and CM does a masterful job.
(I know that'll rile up a few people here!)

IF "the young guys outperform {Ulla's} expectations", I'm not sure this board could take it, but I'm willing to try.

KF and SDJ are a very good backcourt and MW can give us 3's in bunches...just needs to do it far more consistently. TJ is an all conference caliber player...particularly on offense. Then you have the freshmen wing players who all seem to be high level recruits for our normal recruiting level. That's the positive view.

Now,

TJ gets in early foul trouble....???? checks in to guard the opposing center. Heck, who even starts at the 4 or 5 assuming that MW plays the 3? PF? Golden? I know that the modern game is all about the 3 point shooter but we really don't have any depth inside and we lose TJ and MW to graduation after next season. Recruiting and roster management should not be in this dire condition after 11 years of a coach's regime (At least in regard to our front court situation).
If I'm an opposing coach I go after TJ to do exactly that; foul him out. Then what? Jessie will be guarding the post? If PF is so bad this year he didn't get 50 minutes this year what miracle is going to happen over the summer that will turn him into 6th or 7th man? I can only hope.

If I'm an opposing coach I go after TJ to do exactly that; foul him out. Then what? Jessie will be guarding the post? If PF is so bad this year he didn't get 50 minutes this year what miracle is going to happen over the summer that will turn him into 6th or 7th man? I can only hope.
Do you think that perhaps Paul's paucity of playing may have been to avoid re-injuring his leg? Could be as Coach knows we need his minutes this year. One other thing: Paul has looked pretty good in his limited minutes without the brace on his leg? And he was a sought after 3-star recruit. What makes you think he cannot play? Duh. OSC

http://www.richmondspiders.com/fls/26800//Mens_Basketball/2015-16/1516 Record Book full.pdf

The part that did absolutely nothing for me was seeing the article in the RTD about Five Years Ago. This article is printed in post 1 of this thread. Do not understand why a history article about the Spiders appearance in the Sweet Sixteen is even pertinent? Every Spider fan knows it already and who else cares? Did John O'Connor feel so sorry for his alma mater that he thought that kind of press was helpful? It basically said we may not be in the post season now but we were five years ago. I mean seriously if there is a need to talk about past Spider "glory" on the basketball court let's talk about the 1934-35 season under Coach Malcolm U. Pitt when we were undefeated and beat Virginia twice, Virginia Tech twice, and Maryland. That is the only undefeated men's basketball team in Spider history. And not only that all five starters were on the All State team. Also Coach Pitt served more years as basketball coach than anyone else before or since.

Are you talking grad transfer or recruit?
a recruit. I don't think we're a realistic grad transfer destination. we're not what a transfer is looking for in a one year move.
Wesson or someone like him, ready to play at least part time at the forward spot.

72, to be fair, he is 54.8% over the last five years (91-75). In each of those 5 years, we have lost at least 14 games. The per season average over the last 5 years is about 18-15. We have lost 3 of the last 4 to GMU and two straight to JMU and finished 9th in the conference with 7 wins with the CM's "system". With our "great family atmosphere", we lost two key reserves for various reasons. If we were a stock, based on the 5 year trend and recent performance, Jim Cramer would be saying "sell,sell,sell"!!! As the old saying goes, Hope is not a strategy!
Bingo.

In the "what have you done for me lately category" since our last NCAA bid, the numbers are average at best. Where's the follow through after the NCAA appearances? Cramer would not be bullish. The losses to the MU's are hard to stomach.

Do you think that perhaps Paul's paucity of playing may have been to avoid re-injuring his leg? Could be as Coach knows we need his minutes this year. One other thing: Paul has looked pretty good in his limited minutes without the brace on his leg? And he was a sought after 3-star recruit. What makes you think he cannot play? Duh. OSC
Because he blew a year of eligibilty without gaining any game experience. If he was tring to protect him was practicing? DUH?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT