ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Thread - A-10 Opener

I am shocked. A Mooney coached team makes bad decisions down the stretch? Tightens up with the ball, fail to execute offensively, and forgets about playing defense when it is W/L time? Best player doesn't come thru again when game is on the line? Say it ain't so.

Betting against a Mooney coached team in a close game (especially on the road), will get you a fat wallet. It doesn't take a genius to predict how it is going to end.

Is it asking too much for 18-22 year olds to play with some passion and enthusiasm? Perhaps the coach just saps that from his players.
More often than not, they play "scared" and timid when the game is on the line. Everyone looks to someone else to get it done. Hard to just blame players when the same team failures occur so frequently over an 18-year period.

I’m sure after the game Mooney talked about what a talented team Mason in, how hard it is to win on the road, how proud he was that we “fought back” in the second half, etc., just like he always does. That’s why we always lose games like this, because ultimately he’s ok with it.

think consensus was we'd lose this unfortunately. Can't win on road and the goo moos always seem to make us play ugly in fairfax. Didn't see the whole game but not going to win many with that shooting across board, tho free throws were the killer. The missed 1&1 late by Burton the biggest, it would have changed the end game circumstances a lot. Also think Roche should have shot that 3 when we were down 3, with his quick release better chance than Burton who got blocked. Also not sure why Moon didn't switch Goose to guard Polite. Guess they wanted him on Bailey but Polite was getting to rim way too easy all game & it was clear he was acting as the go to guy today.

& Bigs with a couple way too early in shot clock jumpers, along with the late missed 3 where we need someone else to take it. Just drive to hoop until u figure the jumper out.

Because we don't run any sets to get him open. To be fair, the offense is designed to operate with at least four shooters on the floor. We clearly don't have that. And since we don't have that, it would be great to see some sets designed to get our best shooter more shots.
it’s like having Jimmy Chitwood and Gene Hackman not letting him shoot.

I’m sure after the game Mooney talked about what a talented team Mason in, how hard it is to win on the road, how proud he was that we “fought back” in the second half, etc., just like he always does. That’s why we always lose games like this, because ultimately he’s ok with it.
On the road? It’s a 2 hour bus ride and you went up the night before. It’s winter break so no students. The excuses keep coming from Captain Tiny Cup.

“ we can own the low block if we want.” Well Fan, you had me scratching my head all day after reading this and scrolling through my memory bank to try to remember if this was ever a part of the CM O. Guess not….
Well we didn't play the low block except a few times, and we made their bigs look all league today.

Mooney followed the script, but was more specific than usual and stated that he was happy with how the guys played without the normal rotations due to Nelson’s foul trouble and Quinn’s leg issue. His new revelation was that he wants Matt to shoot more. Hopefully that means shooting more in the paint because he jacked up plenty of 3s and a 33% hit rate seems to be the ceiling.

Very disappointing outing because GMU did not play that well and the game was there for the taking. If the Spiders had any energy at all, they would have won. It looked like a going through the motions at the end of a disappointing season versus the first game of conference play.

It finally hit me on how to best describe Mooney’s coaching - Vanilla. Vanilla is not exciting, but it is still America’s favorite ice cream flavor. Spider fans have to hope that individual players become inspired to add the required extra toppings to really make something special. Otherwise it is what it is, but “everybody likes it” or maybe the right way to put it is no one absolutely hates it.

Endgame. Endgame. Endgame.

Game slows down, defense tightens up, Moonball falls apart.

2022 OOC winning %. = 538

Expect a 10-8 conf. record (.555)

Which will bring the season to 17-14, or .548.

Nothing to see here.

Feinstein's a douche. The epitome of OK, boomer.

Two really bad teams missed 20 free throws combined. Why the hell did Roche only take 3 shots????? Tyler can’t cover for Mooney’s lack of ability by himself, he needs help from somebody on this team.
Mooney’s lack of ability? LOL. What? Tyler played fine but also had a 3pt blocked at the end of the game, 4 TO’s and and 3-7 from the FT. As a team we went 50% from the FT line? Is that CM’s fault? You can’t win close games and not make free throws and turn the ball over. I’m also sure CM told Nelson to pick up 2 early fouls as well. Makes sense..

Because we don't run any sets to get him open. To be fair, the offense is designed to operate with at least four shooters on the floor. We clearly don't have that. And since we don't have that, it would be great to see some sets designed to get our best shooter more shots.
He got looks and did not convert. He played less minutes than he usually does and got 2 less shots than he usually does.. please calm down. If he’s not making shots, there’s other options out there, which is what CM went with. Not a hard concept.

This team had 8 assists and 10 turnovers… maybe don’t give them the ball and give your teammate the ball? That might help.

maybe try to run an endgame offense that works rather than the one that - absent Kevin Anderson or A10 tournament Gilly - just doesn't work more often than it works.

But why adjust if Sammy Hagar's winning % will get you tens of millions.

Mooney followed the script, but was more specific than usual and stated that he was happy with how the guys played without the normal rotations due to Nelson’s foul trouble and Quinn’s leg issue. His new revelation was that he wants Matt to shoot more. Hopefully that means shooting more in the paint because he jacked up plenty of 3s and a 33% hit rate seems to be the ceiling.

Very disappointing outing because GMU did not play that well and the game was there for the taking. If the Spiders had any energy at all, they would have won. It looked like a going through the motions at the end of a disappointing season versus the first game of conference play.

It finally hit me on how to best describe Mooney’s coaching - Vanilla. Vanilla is not exciting, but it is still America’s favorite ice cream flavor. Spider fans have to hope that individual players become inspired to add the required extra toppings to really make something special. Otherwise it is what it is, but “everybody likes it” or maybe the right way to put it is no one absolutely hates it.
It isn't vanilla it's that he's a one trick pony (pardon the mixed metaphors). He has and has had for 18 years one SYSTEM and he jams whoever the players are into the SYSTEM whether they fit or not. It also has nothing to do with a lack of passion. The players have enough of that to win a game like this. You can' t only have one offense unless it never breaks down. Relying so much on making a bunch of threes is a recipe for maybe five hundred ball. Roche needs an offense that can set screens for him. The only shots he got today were when the defense had sagged way back into the box. Otherwise he was covered pretty closely. Again little attempt to get the ball down low to Quinn. Primarily, I guess, was because they haven't been working on it from day one.
Despite all that, I still think the team will finish high up in the standings because I don't think the A10 is very strong this year.

Reactions: Ram Bal
He got looks and did not convert. He played less minutes than he usually does and got 2 less shots than he usually does.. please calm down. If he’s not making shots, there’s other options out there, which is what CM went with. Not a hard concept.

This team had 8 assists and 10 turnovers… maybe don’t give them the ball and give your teammate the ball? That might help.

He got 3 shots, maybe 1 really good look. And if he's averaging only 5 shots, then CM needs to get him more. He's a top flight shooter so it's on the head coach to find a way to get him more shots. Not a hard concept.

The team had 8 assists and 10 turnovers. The performance of the team is the coach's responsibility. Again, not a hard concept.

Nothing today should surprise. Poor foul shooting cost us Syracuse game. How about today?

Got beaten by a physical team. Finesse works, but only slightly over 50 pct.

Another 50 50 game this year where we end up on losing end. Who have we beaten who would be considered an equivalent team? We can beat up on weak teams but have real trouble with fair to decent teams.

It isn't vanilla it's that he's a one trick pony (pardon the mixed metaphors). He has and has had for 18 years one SYSTEM and he jams whoever the players are into the SYSTEM whether they fit or not. It also has nothing to do with a lack of passion. The players have enough of that to win a game like this. You can' t only have one offense unless it never breaks down. Relying so much on making a bunch of threes is a recipe for maybe five hundred ball. Roche needs an offense that can set screens for him. The only shots he got today were when the defense had sagged way back into the box. Otherwise he was covered pretty closely. Again little attempt to get the ball down low to Quinn. Primarily, I guess, was because they haven't been working on it from day one.
Despite all that, I still think the team will finish high up in the standings because I don't think the A10 is very strong this year.

Agree. Add to that the fact that after 18 years, don't you think every frekkin coach in the A10 know exactly what Mooney's teams will do?

Right, 58 points against a team that’s just average defensively… just awful. We held them to 62, which should mean a win.

Agree. Add to that the fact that after 18 years, don't you think every frekkin coach in the A10 know exactly what Mooney's teams will do?
The first year or so his brand was a novelty. Beyond that it’s a well known commodity, and the novelty grew old many years back. Change is a good thing and a rarity in our case. Adaptability also comes to mind…oh never mind.

Reactions: SpiderRick
On the road? It’s a 2 hour bus ride and you went up the night before. It’s winter break so no students. The excuses keep coming from Captain Tiny Cup.
If I didn't know you were talking about his sippy cup this would be really funny.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Dont worry about the loss. We competed very hard in a tough environment. Finding a way to win close games wasn’t important. Just keep it close and hope for a miracle.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT