ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Randolph - 2021 Commit

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Well if he didn’t before, now he deserves his own thread!

(Don’t quite understand the tweet though, and the link doesn’t seem to be working.)

I’m a little confused by this as well. I’m guessing Noah means first of 3 remaining, but that wording doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Also Marcus hasn’t announced it himself yet (hoping this is just some type of technical delay)

Man, I don't want to be negative, because this is huge for this young man. But, a 6'4 wing when we have Dji, Crabtree, and Dread coming up??? Don't get it. Hoping to be proven wrong as usual, but seems like our plan is to land Nelson and 4 wings.

??? What's not to understand, after Nelson and Dread, we have 3 remaining slots. He is the first of three remaining slots. I understand the tweet from Noah, but then again English is my 10th language, Russian my first.

Congrats to Marcus. I do like the fact that he played AAU ball with Wilson. Having some degree of familiarity will help as the “next generation” team comes together.

Definitely puts the pressure on getting a big man in this class, which of course always seems to be the case.

Reactions: spider23
??? What's not to understand, after Nelson and Dread, we have 3 remaining slots. He is the first of three remaining slots. I understand the tweet from Noah, but then again English is my 10th language, Russian my first.
The original tweet that he deleted just said first of 3 2021 slots, not remaining.

Reactions: plydogg
Just read the Noah article, nice job. I like the recruiting job by Wilson. Now let's have one of our guys get on the phone/text/gram with a 6'9 monster they played AAU with :).

He mentions Larson and Powell at the end. Hopefully we are still in play for both, especially think Larson would be a great fit at the 4 next to Weir.

Agreed. Great that Wilson is already reaching out and building the team for the future. I don’t think you can have too many wings who can dribble, shoot and run. Randolph seems to be able to do all three.

Also good to see Powell and Larson mentioned as frontcourt needs to be our focus with the two spots.

I know some people are focused on replacing Grant Golden in this class. But you have to consider two things, 1) maybe we have that guy already in Andre Weir and 2) we still have two spots open.

We are ultimately graduating 2 small guards, tweener G/F, PF, and C. So far we have the PG, SG and I think Randolph, at 6-5 195 already, fits that SF role for us.

Also, consider how much basketball has changed in recent years. I love watching Grant play but the trend right now is the Little Guys are getting taller and the Big Men are getting shorter. There are not as many dominate C's in college or NBA these days like there were in the 60-90's. Take a look at the depth chart for the NBA Eastern Conference finals.

The starting Center's for both teams are only 6-8. Miami starter are 6-3 PG, 6-7 or 6-5 SG, 6-7 SF, 6-6 PF, and 6-8 C. They only have 1 player taller than 6-8 in their regular rotation (top 10). Boston is not much different. They starters are 6-0 PG, 6-6 or 6-3 SG, 6-7 SF, 6-8 PF, and 6-8 C. Their 2 backup PF 's are only 6-6. They only have 1 player taller than 6-8 in their top 11.

I respect that the Western conference teams are made up a little more traditionally. But the general trend is tall athletic shooters on the wings and quick and active, which usually means not too tall, big men inside. These are guys who can get down the court in transition.

Vol - When I said big man, I simply meant post player. Doesn’t have to be a traditional center, just has to be able to bang down low. Looking forward to what Weir can bring, but we need additional options in my opinion. Yes there are spots left and one has to be filled by a quality post player in my opinion.

didn't see this one coming! but I really like it.
Noah compared to Francis. I don't see that from his highlights. he looks like a lefty Sherod clone to me. solid body, very skilled, high basketball IQ, great shooter with great body control inside, not ridiculously athletic. like Sherod, he could play the 2 but is likely more of a 3. very solid passer. hopefully rebounds too.

using traditional positions which everyone loves here :rolleyes: we replace the following graduates:
1) Gilyard > Nelson
2) Francis > Dread
3) Sherod > Randolph
4) Cayo >
5) Golden >

gotta get a big next.

by the way, I'll side with verbal commits on 6'5" 195 ... at least.
the 170 on rivals has to be a typo or from freshman year! he looks solid.

Good point kneepad. We do need shooters and scorers. I'm with sman, this guys highlights do remind me a bit of Sherod. I'd still take Noyes in this class too.
From the video on Dread, he looks like a very good defender that will translate to our level, and I like what Randolph says about defense.

Still would love to get Larson in this

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
Noah compared to Francis. I don't see that from his highlights. he looks like a lefty Sherod clone to me. solid body, very skilled, high basketball IQ, great shooter with great body control inside, not ridiculously athletic. like Sherod, he could play the 2 but is likely more of a 3. very solid passer. hopefully rebounds too.

using traditional positions which everyone loves here :rolleyes: we replace the following graduates:
1) Gilyard > Nelson
2) Francis > Dread
3) Sherod > Randolph
4) Cayo >
5) Golden >

gotta get a big next.

Curious, why not put Weir next to Golden on this list?

Happy to bring another recruit in that looks like he belongs at the A10 level. Dare I say we may have a deep bench in a few seasons here?

Reactions: spider23
Seems like a solid pick-up. 12 other offers, the best of which was Temple, not sure how hot Temple was on him. The other offers were from schools and programs that never visit the NCAA.

I would agree reminds me a bit of Sherod (he def has the Sherod booty), but Sherod was also the all time leading in Virginia high school history and had multiple BCS offers. So, poor mans, Sherod, might be more apt.

I would rate this pick-up a B/C, solid but nothing program changing or all A-10 type potential. Thus far, I see us having two "solid pick-up" in Dread and Randolph, and Nelson to me has some superstar qualities in him.

Need these last two recruits to be more in the Nelson category and Mooney needs to stay away from any of reaches or projects.

haha, not wasting by $2 with those guys to tell me they stopped recruiting him 4 months ago.

Agree with 97 - solid pick up, not a reach at all by our standards the last five year. Lot of wings last two classes, but that has worked well for us with the Butler/K Smith/Martel trio in the past.

It will be interesting positionally how these guys play out. Will one of them be more of a 2 guard? Between these two classes we have Dji, Randolph and Dread. Not to mention Crabtree - health permitting - kind of similar size/position. Would like to see Dji as that big athletic 2 guard.

I could see Dread being a star eventually, but doesn't jump off the page now. Again, kind of reminds me of another Malcolm - Brogdon, but that is based on one highlight. He definitely is not afraid to use his body and draw charges on the defensive end.

Marcus teamed up with Zach Hicks last night.

if anyone has BallerTV, the game is loaded up there. I haven't found any details.

did notice while looking that the two visited UR together last year.

Thanks for not trying to use your lame catch phrase to gloss over Mooney's issues with recruiting big men. Yes, solid class, like Nelson a TON, and all three wings look like they can be contributors.
You and I are in full agreement here.

Gives you a good feel for who is not coming back.

Gives you a good feel for who is not coming back.

If I remember correctly though, any seniors that return for a final year would not have their scholarship count against the max number right?

Obviously we have to replace those seniors whether they were to stay or not, so I do agree with you here

If I remember correctly though, any seniors that return for a final year would not have their scholarship count against the max number right?

Obviously we have to replace those seniors whether they were to stay or not, so I do agree with you here

You are correct, but the super-seniors would take up a lot of the minutes on the court that would no longer be available to the normal scholarship players.

1) Gilyard > Nelson
2) Francis > Dread
3) Sherod > Randolph
4) Cayo >
5) Golden >

gotta get a big next.

If your, now ancient, post is correct. Is it Cayo > Noyes? And we are still looking for the next Golden?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT