ADVERTISEMENT

Mandated sports

BoatWrong05

Rookie
Aug 23, 2005
A question or two for the home team:

Did anyone attend a college (unlikely, given the audience, but still...) or a high school that mandated all students play a sport? Military academies come to mind, but I know some high schools have this requirement, too. Some caveats:
The requirement has to have been participation in an organized, competitive sport, for all terms. This eliminates PE, which is what I had throughout high school, as did my classmates who were varsity athletes. It also eliminates rock climbing, etc., which might be on the cusp of being organized sports, but aren't (yet).It is not necessarily limited to interscholastic competition only, or varsity / JV only.We exclude anyone who did something, but of their own accord.We exclude anyone who was in a semi-professional sporting program (e.g., IMG Academies, a boarding school post-grad, etc.)
If you did - or if you know anybody who did - what do you / they think about it?

My boarding school required you to play a sport each season, either interscholastic or club / intramural. There were a few kids that got out of sports to do some specified weight training / rehab, and a small number who were on something called the "wood squad" which kept our trails in order and provided cut wood for the faculty apartment fireplaces. But over 90% were playing a competitive sport. Most all students seemed to enjoy it as there were tons of opportunities from 3rds, JV, Varsity of almost all sports, to club soccer, hockey, tennis, sailing, golf, etc..

no, but do know of a couple of bars and a couple of towns which check you for a gun when you enter and if you don't have one they mandate you get one. mandated activities can be good.....

My son graduated from St. Christopher's School here in Richmond and all students had to participate in a sport or school activity each season. For those not athletic, it could be Glee Club, Orchestra or drama, but most kids played sports. I felt it was great because many of my son's friends who were not great athletes were on teams and went through the same practices that he did. If the "scrubs" actually got to play, the starters were all on the sideline cheering for them. Great comradarie.

My daughter attended boarding school at Miller School outside of Charlottesville where everyone participated in at least one sport. Same was true for my son who attended Collegiate School and Norfolk Catholic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT