ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Kuwornu

Ulla1

Head Coach
Apr 21, 2011
Sine UR has been mentioned, thought Malik merits a thread. He would definitely be a force with which to contend in the low post. OSC

Last edited:
A 7-footer from another country? This kid would answer many of our collective prayers! He's a 2016 recruit, correct?

A 7-footer from another country? This kid would answer many of our collective prayers! He's a 2016 recruit, correct?
Yes, 2016! He is doing a postgraduate year currently. IMHO, think he could help Greatly! Get him and Aleem, and our Spiders will be ready to rumble! OSC

He is 7 feet tall and has one D-1 offer from Canisus. You can't teach height, but this tells me, he would be a major project/developmental player.

Reactions: spiders13
One year?

"You can't teach height" is what we said about Big Luke, so call me skeptical at this point.

and Luke looked better. but I'm just a guy at a computer so I'll leave it to the experts.

He is 7 feet tall and has one D-1 offer from Canisus. You can't teach height, but this tells me, he would be a major project/developmental player.
Can he hold his hands above his head? Maybe he will get in the way on defense. Does he have both hands and realize they oppose each other? Been several years since we have had a player over 6'4" aware of that!!

Reactions: Eight Legger
Canisus? Is that anything like Niagara? ;)

Truth is I agree with you...on this point.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Agree a project, but more mobile then Luke for he looks quicker around the basket. But
he looks to have a serious wing span.

Only have those clips to go by, but looks like some development needed, particularly on offensive end. Shouldn't have to be taking 7' jump hooks. Good he made 'em but want to our big men going strong to the rim and getting much closer in on the block with that size advantage. Afraid he'd get outmuscled in the A10 paint right now. Can be taught technique but fight and toughness as we've learned just have to be part of their DNA (aka Fore, Buckingham who is a good rebounder). Maybe he has it but not really seeing it here.

I think that it is important to know how long he has been playing basketball and whether coaches and others believe that he is likely to put on more weight and muscle as he matures. If he has not been playing but for a few years, I think it is more likely that he can develop the skills he needs to be a contributor at the A10 level, maybe even a major factor.

With all the scholarships we have to give over the next two or three years, I would be inclined to take a chance on him given a positive answer to the two factors I mentioned above as well as others such as work ethic, attitude, determination, grades, etc. I would also think that he could benefit from a redshirt year.

Let's face it, we're never going to get a 7- footer who is perfectly refined and dominant. This is the kind we could get. Maybe he turns oit like a similar kid Bona had who graduated last year...awful the first year, very good by his senior year.

One 7 foot project guy is a worthwhile risk in my book. It will probably be his junior year before we seen any potential return on this investment. The fact that he only has 1 D-1 offer and watching the highlights videos and seeing a 7 footer take hook shots and fade-away against high school competition tells me he has a tremendous learning curve on the game of basketball.

We have 3 open scholarships right now, giving him one versus giving one for another year to a walk-on, I would certainly choose giving him an opportunity. If this is our project recruit, the other 2 open schollies have to go to guys who we know can compete.

guys, he's more than a project. there are a lot of videos. I won't bother to post them. take a look yourself. he needs to play at a substantially lower level.

guys, he's more than a project. there are a lot of videos. I won't bother to post them. take a look yourself. he needs to play at a substantially lower level.

I agree. I am of the general opinion that we should not be using scholarships on players who don't have other significant D-1 offers. All of those recent attempts have blown up in our face. I would say if you ever do take a chance on a player it would be a big man.

However, the bust potential on a player like this being able to play meaningful minutes in the A-10 is really high.

I remember we had a player back in 1967-68 that was a 7 footer. Nice guy, but a real stumble bum on
the court. He transferred and we weren't very good in those days.

I agree. I am of the general opinion that we should not be using scholarships on players who don't have other significant D-1 offers. All of those recent attempts have blown up in our face. I would say if you ever do take a chance on a player it would be a big man.

However, the bust potential on a player like this being able to play meaningful minutes in the A-10 is really high.
We almost need to have a solid post player and two more a year or so apart for development. It is very unlikely we get a post player who is ready to go year one or even two. What we need is an assistant that can develop a post player.

I've always felt you try to recruit a 4/5 type player almost every year and a 1 every other year. The others are not so strict.

I kind of like the idea of going after a 1/2 every year, a 2/3/4 every year, and a 4/5 every year. Then you can use that last scholarship in a 4 year period on whatever you want. Obviously easier said than done, but we did that this year with Buckingham, Sherod, and Golden.

I say get the best possible players you can every year no matter their position.

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT