ADVERTISEMENT

NIL for pigskin

From PQ-“Spider Fans - A Spider NIL (“The Spiders’ Collective”) was formed earlier this year and pre funded for next season by a small group of individuals. Coach Mooney has worked closely with The Spiders’s Collective to allocate dollars to both existing and new players. We are confident that our fully funded NIL pool is highly competitive within the A10, including VCU’s recent disclosure of its existing and aspirational pool.
Our plan all along has been to pre fund our NIL, focus on building next year’s team and then go out to the broader Spider community to build The Spiders’ Collective for future years. Spiders’ Collective donors will earn the opportunity to participate in a wide range of promotional activities ranging from unique team apparel, meet and greets with both players and coaches, selective pre game festivities and team travel.
The Spiders’ Collective has hired a firm to help draft player contracts to ensure that all parties are properly protected. The same firm will assist us to developing a broader marketing plan to approach other loyal Spider fans who would like to contribute. Stay tuned for more information. Go Spiders!”

Last edited:
TC ain’t happy

“ Tom Coll
Except you completely screwed over the football team. You had the introduction to the student athletes at a time when no one on the FB team could attend. Not sure exactly what they were doing, maybe getting ready for the playoffs or something. Never reached out to them later to help. I believe if you look at the NIL site you might find 3 FB players on it. I asked my son why he wasn’t taking advantage of it and he said he doesn’t know how to go about it. Could he look into it and find someone to help? Yes, but I would think the school would realize there are over 80 players not involved a wonder why. As Queally says in his post, “…is highly competitive within the A10…”. Shows me your only concern is BB and could care less about FB. Believe me the players all feel this lack of respect from you. Coaches are really good recruiters just to get the talent to come there. My prediction is you will see a lot more players go to the portal than you have so far. This team is extremely tight and the players who brought them together will be leaving after this season.”

Is the Pigskin NIL Club different from the Spider Collective NIL that Paul Queally spoke of yesterday? If so, will each sport have its own NIL?

I hope and expect to support the athletes, but must admit to being a little confused about who’s doing what at this point with NILs.

I’m hoping for some clearer communication about what is what with our UR NILs soon.

Go Spiders!

It sure seems to be different. The football NIL Club appears, at least to me, to be the reaction to PQ’s Mooney-centric effort.

It never fails to amaze me the new ways in which our AD can screw up when they have every advantage. It’s like we keep giving Hardt 1st & 5s and he takes a delay of game penalty because he can’t get the call in from the sideline.

I would much rather give to a team that can compete regularly for conference championships and compete on a National level even if FCS than give to a sport that has no accountability and is ruled by one person with a personal relationship with a coach. The information released by PQ certainly shows a bias to the Mooney led basketball program and not the University of Richmond.

I want to know that what they propose does not violate NCAA rules, etc.

I want to know that what they propose does not violate NCAA rules, etc.
Does your money come out of your wallet or your money clip? My point is that I think the NCAA
has become irrelevant. They make schedules and hold tournaments. That’s about it.

It comes from my earnings, but what does that matter. I agree NCAA has lost much, but they don't hesitate to come after the little guy like us.

Guardrails are badly needed in college sports. It is coming down to who can buy the best team

Well actually, it not "coming down to", it is here. To my mind this is a bastardization of amateur sports. Only benefits the powerful and marginalizes everyone else. Somehow not surprised at that, but saddened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT