ADVERTISEMENT

Left Behind Again?

If anyone thinks the current NIL stuff we are pushing is sustainable to long term success they are fooling themselves. Look no further than Tyler Burton in hoops, and the several other super seniors on the football squad coming off a playoff season to pursue backup positions at other schools. Or look at schools like Rice, McNeese St, Cleveland St, or Texas Southern beating us out for players in the transfer portal. Or Tulsa taking one of the best recruits we ever had under Mooney after commiting......Tulsa. If we can't compete with Tulsa coming to steal our players we sure as hell aren't going to be winning many battles for talented players. Best hope Mooney finds under the radar high schoolers loyal enough not to transfer once they develop.

As far as I can tell, we are currently only setup for success in lacrosse and nothing else. Funny how that program has ascended as quickly as it did while the other programs remain rudderless or are going backwards. I'm sure it has nothing to do with a billionaire mega donor using his influence making sure we don't slip in that sport while the others rot. Facilities mean nothing if you have incompetent friends running the show.

With the current ship of fools, expect a precipitous descent as an athletic department. The days of punching above our weight is over if you ask me. Outside of lacrosse making a deep run in the NCAAs, all we can hope for are some sugar rush runs like we did last season. I bet if NIL was around then Gilyard and Golden would of been gone years before they graduated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8legs1dream
FYI, the NIL program is run by alumni and not the athletic department, so Mooney and the Athletic Department were not allowed to comment on it.

The Alumni running it have done a lot of work putting everything together. The also wanted to start off contacting large donors to the athletic department first, before they had the infrastructure to handle mass inquiries.

Obviously, Paul is involved and we are all very lucky he continues to support our program.
Well, then how come VCU has a town hall with their NIL and their entire athletic department, coaches, and even some players participate, but at UR Mooney is not even allowed to comment on it.

Well, then how come VCU has a town hall with their NIL and their entire athletic department, coaches, and even some players participate, but at UR Mooney is not even allowed to comment on it.
97 you could have started the NIL program at U of R along with other members of this board and then you could have made all the decisions. But instead of adding value to the program, you focus on complaining about everything. The people volunteering to run the program are making the decisions and are off to a great start. If anyone would like to make a large donation I can put you in front the the right people.

Not surprising that the Rams have mustered and organized resources into what appears to be an impressive and attractive NLI program.

Zach Joachim of the Times-Dispatch provides the details in his story introducing the HAVOC Unlimited Collective. It appears the Collective has pulled together resources from the University, AD, athletes, stakeholders (fans) etc. They have publicly stated goals they hope to achieve. You can achieve a lot when you have a proactive group of leaders willing to tackle a major challenge like winning Championships in the NIL world. The Rams have this leadership.

Obviously the group behind HUC hopes to give the coaches at VCU another tool with which to bolster their recruiting and rosters.

I've read a lot of vague, general things about a UR NIL program, but if it was anything like what Joachim describes at VCU, I've missed it. It looks like UR has fallen behind again, I wonder how our coaches feel trying to win Championships without the tools they battle against. Who could blame them for raising Cain? I wonder if anyone has?

Some days it tough to be a Spiders fan.
everyday is tough being a spiders fan. You have an idiot as your head coach for 18 years and have no shot of competing for anything. Nothing will change, majority of our fanbase is a bunch of old heads who don't know anything about winning and think Mooney is a good fit for the program. Sad times, but hey, Mooney looks nice in a suit.

I got a feeling this NIL at UR will not last very long. Simply because do you expect big donors, and even smaller donors in mass - to continue to provide money to the Collective if results are not being met?

Example - I think everyone agrees we will not be very good next year. I think expectations for next season might be .500 at best. Now lets assume we get better - but we have typical UR results - we win 19-22 games, no NCAA appearance, maybe an NIT here and there - do people keep supporting? At that point - your supporting out of the goodness of your heart to just give money to the kids on the team. Your not getting a return on investment. And the NIL collective is separate from the University and administration, so they really have little to no say with administration and possible coaching changes - if needed, or asking for more leeway in recruiting.

And UR administration to date, in Athletics, does not seem to care too much about outside noise from fans. Point being - if in 3-4 years, we have not made an NCAA tourney again, but have won 20 games each year and finished 5-6th in the A10 each year - if the NIL collective says we will no longer support until a change is made, then I think UR administration would say "no problem, don't support anymore, we are fine with that" and then - NIL collective disappears.
If we go another 3-4 years without an NCAA tournament, I think even Hardt has to admit defeat.

97 you could have started the NIL program at U of R along with other members of this board and then you could have made all the decisions. But instead of adding value to the program, you focus on complaining about everything. The people volunteering to run the program are making the decisions and are off to a great start. If anyone would like to make a large donation I can put you in front the the right people.
Respectfully, I think folks are confused why you’d say our AD and coach aren’t allowed to engage in the NIL when that doesn’t seem to be the case elsewhere. Perhaps it’s a self imposed restriction.

I actually think the same people who give big money currently (Queally and a couple others) will just transition it to the NIL fund. They seem less concerned with on-court performance anyway since they've kept giving through all these down years. The NIL thing will just replace the Spider Club.
Less concerned with on court performance? Queally gave 7.5 million to help build the 15 million dollar athletic center. You don't think that shows he cares about winning? And, he is involved with starting the NIL fund here. You don't think that shows he cares about winning? What a stupid thing for you to say. Another in a long list of them. And, then you make another ridiculous comment, again criticizing him, this time for continuing to give through down years. So, anyone who chooses to give to schools each year, even through down years, means they don't care about on court performance? Only in your strange world would this be the case. You and others are unreal the way you criticize someone who has given so much to the university. It is beyond ridiculous, but par for the course around here, especially from you. I still wait and wait for you to post just one meaningful post, but instead, you just keep being you everyday.

Less concerned with on court performance? Queally gave 7.5 million to help build the 15 million dollar athletic center. You don't think that shows he cares about winning? And, he is involved with starting the NIL fund here. You don't think that shows he cares about winning? What a stupid thing for you to say. Another in a long list of them. And, then you make another ridiculous comment, again criticizing him, this time for continuing to give through down years. So, anyone who chooses to give to schools each year, even through down years, means they don't care about on court performance? Only in your strange world would this be the case. You and others are unreal the way you criticize someone who has given so much to the university. It is beyond ridiculous, but par for the course around here, especially from you. I still wait and wait for you to post just one meaningful post, but instead, you just keep being you everyday.
Coming from you, I’ll take that as a compliment. I appreciate that Queally is worth more money than all of us combined and that he likes having things named after him. The point that I made, pretty clearly, is that his money appears to come whether we are 12-20 in back to back seasons or not. Maybe he cares about winning, maybe not. It’s hard to tell.

Personally, if I had his money and was being as generous with it as he is willing to be, I wouldn’t just keep funding something endlessly without any regard to its success.

My point, which obviously and unsurprisingly you missed again, was that his money and that of others like him is not in jeopardy of being pulled from the school for the reasons I just explained for a second time.

Trap suggested the NIL group wouldn’t last if we didn’t have on-court success. I was merely observing that recent and past history suggested otherwise. Do you disagree with me? You think Q is going to stop giving money if we finish tenth two years in a row?

And you’ve liked a number of my posts in the past, so if I’ve never had “one meaningful post,” then, ruh roh, I guess you had some terrible lapses of judgment.

Respectfully, I think folks are confused why you’d say our AD and coach aren’t allowed to engage in the NIL when that doesn’t seem to be the case elsewhere. Perhaps it’s a self imposed restriction.
Maybe there’s ongoing litigation 🤣

Coming from you, I’ll take that as a compliment. I appreciate that Queally is worth more money than all of us combined and that he likes having things named after him. The point that I made, pretty clearly, is that his money appears to come whether we are 12-20 in back to back seasons or not. Maybe he cares about winning, maybe not. It’s hard to tell.

Personally, if I had his money and was being as generous with it as he is willing to be, I wouldn’t just keep funding something endlessly without any regard to its success.

My point, which obviously and unsurprisingly you missed again, was that his money and that of others like him is not in jeopardy of being pulled from the school for the reasons I just explained for a second time.

Trap suggested the NIL group wouldn’t last if we didn’t have on-court success. I was merely observing that recent and past history suggested otherwise. Do you disagree with me? You think Q is going to stop giving money if we finish tenth two years in a row?

And you’ve liked a number of my posts in the past, so if I’ve never had “one meaningful post,” then, ruh roh, I guess you had some terrible lapses of judgment.
I think thousands of people donate to their schools each and every year, whether they finish 10th or 1st. If schools that finish 10th never get donations, how could they ever expect to win anything? Seems kind of silly to only donate when their school wins. And, yes, I think it is incredibly crazy to criticize anyone for donating money to their school, regardless of wins and losses. EL: "How dare you donate money to my school".

I think thousands of people donate to their schools each and every year, whether they finish 10th or 1st. If schools that finish 10th never get donations, how could they ever expect to win anything? Seems kind of silly to only donate when their school wins. And, yes, I think it is incredibly crazy to criticize anyone for donating money to their school, regardless of wins and losses. EL: "How dare you donate money to my school".
Well yes, as someone who wants a new coach, I would prefer that our major donor/guy who runs our athletic department/guy who hires his friend as the AD would say “No more money until we get serious about winning every year.” But he won’t do that, so our NIL group will be just fine.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
We have to hope that Richmond Alumni owNing or operating in the Richmond area
will do ads on TV, radio, and wherever will include players as spokespersons.

I got a feeling this NIL at UR will not last very long. Simply because do you expect big donors, and even smaller donors in mass - to continue to provide money to the Collective if results are not being met?

Example - I think everyone agrees we will not be very good next year. I think expectations for next season might be .500 at best. Now lets assume we get better - but we have typical UR results - we win 19-22 games, no NCAA appearance, maybe an NIT here and there - do people keep supporting? At that point - your supporting out of the goodness of your heart to just give money to the kids on the team. Your not getting a return on investment. And the NIL collective is separate from the University and administration, so they really have little to no say with administration and possible coaching changes - if needed, or asking for more leeway in recruiting.

And UR administration to date, in Athletics, does not seem to care too much about outside noise from fans. Point being - if in 3-4 years, we have not made an NCAA tourney again, but have won 20 games each year and finished 5-6th in the A10 each year - if the NIL collective says we will no longer support until a change is made, then I think UR administration would say "no problem, don't support anymore, we are fine with that" and then - NIL collective disappears.
but you said a few weeks ago, The school would never allow a collective.... amazing how wrong you always are.

but you said a few weeks ago, The school would never allow a collective.... amazing how wrong you always are.
I am surprised for sure. Not that the school couldn't allow one, because it is seperate. But we still have zero details of this collective, how it work, how much money involved - how payments will be made, to which players - for what, etc.

Just knowing our fan base, one who on this board, myself included - is frequently upset with results it seems and the disconnect between competing and winning - I just wonder how long fans/donors - big and small will continue to support and NIL if results/expectations not met.

But with that being said - NIL helps a lot in recruiting. So will this change recruiting for UR? It most certainly could, but this is where the school steps in and could be a roadblock. I have to imagine we have one of the biggest endowments in the A10. Not that the endowment has anything to do with NIL, but it shows, and its always an argument on here - we have alumni who donate - maybe not to athletics, but we have strong financial support from alumni in general. If some of that can translate to this NIL and this collective is allowed to go out and do what it needs - which is basically BUY players, then this could work. Whats to stop UR from offering a kid 500K NIL deal? Money - is that it? Maybe. But also remember admissions.

NIL - if used by smaller schools who have money, can equal the playing field a little bit. Especially in the transfer market. Just like pro teams BUY a championship team, college teams with strong NIL backing have the chance to do the same. And by championship team - I simply mean - making the NCAA tourney. Will UR be able to do that? I am not so sure because again - this would take total buy in by the NIL (get big money) and the school (allow the coaches to recruit kids on the border of admissions or below and OFFER big money).

Well yes, as someone who wants a new coach, I would prefer that our major donor/guy who runs our athletic department/guy who hires his friend as the AD would say “No more money until we get serious about winning every year.” But he won’t do that, so our NIL group will be just fine.
So, tell a school that just won an A-10 title and a 1st round NCAA win 2 seasons ago...."no more money until we get serious about winning every year". LOL....at least you are consistent with being bad at this message board thing. What about the people who don't want a new coach? Are they allowed to donate every year? Do you really think all that do just do not care about winning?

As usual, your selective bias is showing. One random championship after a sixth place finish — as much as I loved every second of it — doesn’t negate a decade of failure to make the tournament. But I know it does in your world. And when you follow up that success with a complete clunker like we did last year, followed by losing our best player to transfer and setting ourselves up for another bad year, yeah, it is hard to suggest we really value winning.

But again, you miss my point, which is that the big donors here are going to keep giving regardless of whether we go 32-0 and 0-32. They love Mooney, and our performance on the court is secondary.

Last edited:
As usual, your selective bias is showing. One random championship after a sixth place finish — as much as I loved every second of it — doesn’t negate a decade of failure to make the tournament. But I know it does in your world. And when you follow up that success with a complete clunker like we did last year, followed by losing our best player to transfer and setting ourselves up for another bad year, yeah, it is hard to suggest we really value winning.

But again, you miss my point, which is that the big donors here are going to keep giving regardless of whether we go 32-0 and 0-32. They love Mooney, and our performance on the court is secondary.
Interesting that you can read the mind of every donor. You should use that talent elsewhere instead of a message board.

And, I am not missing your point. Or, points, really.. You just made 3 points at the end, and you assume all 3 are 100% accurate with each and every donor. So, yes, I think that it is ridiculous for you to assume that.

Last edited:
4700 is officially on record as believing that some of our biggest donors are ready to pull the plug if we don’t have success! Interesting. We’ll just agree to disagree, totally fine.

4700 is officially on record as believing that some of our biggest donors are ready to pull the plug if we don’t have success! Interesting. We’ll just agree to disagree, totally fine.
???? Lie, much? Oh, I forgot, that's pretty much all u do on here.

everyday is tough being a spiders fan. You have an idiot as your head coach for 18 years and have no shot of competing for anything. Nothing will change, majority of our fanbase is a bunch of old heads who don't know anything about winning and think Mooney is a good fit for the program. Sad times, but hey, Mooney looks nice in a suit.
What do you mean "our" fanbase?

Why do you arrogantly troll others with your why don't you make a large donation BS? It is apparent from your posts that you feel that money makes a wealthy man superior to his peers.

You bust other poster's chops regularly, but have you put your money where your mouth is? How much have you personally contributed to the Richmond NIL? Your commitment is for how many years? What is the total amount you have pledged? Inquiring minds would like to know how superior you really are, or is it all yap?

It is my hope that a truthful personal disclosure (leadership from you) might motivate an inferior poster to get his donation in sooner rather than later. Every dollar counts!

We are off to a great NIL start ... that netted us a starting point guard for one year, two role players, and that couldn't convince our best player to stick around. That's what success looks like to our big money donors.

We are off to a great NIL start ... that netted us a starting point guard for one year, two role players, and that couldn't convince our best player to stick around. That's what success looks like to our big money donors.
I’m presuming that our NIL might have missed this portal period. Just a guess.

What do you mean "our" fanbase?
so im not a fan because I don't stand for a coach who has drastically underperformed in his 18 year career with 3 NCAA tournament seasons? Theres a reason nobody respects us in the a10. We're losers and I won't stand for this crap any longer. Sorry im not content with being a laughing stock

Par for the course, always a step or two behind and ready with an excuse (the program, not you personally). First it was academics, then the lack of a practice facility, now this. Maybe we'll catch up sometime this millennium.
The "program" doesn't make these excuses. It's only some idiot "fans" who say the program does.

The "program" doesn't make these excuses. It's only some idiot "fans" who say the program does.
this article is filled with excuses by oUR AD. I'm not going to comply for another 7 to 8 years for another NCAA birth. Its either fire mooney or move to the Big South Conference because that's somewhere he can compete

No matter how much money he'd receive from us via NIL, does anyone really think Burton stays at UR over Villanova, after playing here for four years and earning his degree?

There are legit complaints about our program. Losing Burton isn't one of them. He was gone the second after we lost to GMU.

Last edited:
How do you know, are you directly affiliated with the program? (Let me tell you how shocked I would be!)
I know because I have not heard Mooney or one of our ADs use academics, the lack of a practice facility, or NIL as an excuse for losing games. If you have, please share because I would be interested in seeing that.

Well, that certainly narrows it down. Losing must be related to recruiting and coaching.
Really? What happens when two teams play? Doesn't one team have to lose regardless? Is it always because of recruiting and coaching when they do?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT