ADVERTISEMENT

Jesse Pistokache - 2015 Target

Wow, 57% from 3 - wonder if that is right? If so, pretty darn good. Anyone know about the GA high school he played at, what level of competition. I am assuming it is a competitive league or schedule. Nice to have a couple of good sized guards coming in to compete. Hope he and Julius pan out, seems like we have had trouble filling that guard spot between Singleton to Smithen. These two do seem a bit more legit. Really like the sounds of Jesse (and Julius) only red flag is the ease with which he has jumped hs programs. I do like that he wants to challenge himself.

Looking forward to seeing Jesse in a Spider uniform. Would correct the RTD, we have 3 guards in our freshman class, as Fore was medically redshirted.

Jesse's brother's basketball career, has not gone well. He is now a walk-on at Texas Pan American, and played little last year. Doesn't mean that Jesse can't have a sensational career, but does just point out, that not every high school star, makes it in college basketball. I think CM has a very good track record in that regard. He's not batting 1.000, but no one does.

Looking forward to seeing Jesse in a Spider uniform. Would correct the RTD, we have 3 guards in our freshman class, as Fore was medically redshirted.

Jesse's brother's basketball career, has not gone well. He is now a walk-on at Texas Pan American, and played little last year. Doesn't mean that Jesse can't have a sensational career, but does just point out, that not every high school star, makes it in college basketball. I think CM has a very good track record in that regard. He's not batting 1.000, but no one does.

Jesse's brother was never a D1 prospect, its not like he was highly recruited and didn't pan out. He is not an example of a recruiting misstep, he played for a D2/3 team his freshman year then transferred to be a walk-on on a D1 team. I am not sure what his college performance has to do with Jesse's.

Actually, Jesse's brother first attended an NAIA school, but I understand your point. My point is that his brother was the leading scorer for his high school. So, he was an outstanding player against similar competition. I also don't think Jesse was all that heavily recruited, though he, obviously got an offer from Charlotte. Not sure what got UR into the picture, whether we recruited him originally or not.

We've all seen many high school athletes go through a tough transition in college. They've never faced players, with that kind of speed, athleticism, skill, and size. Most of our recruits have successfully made that transition, but a few have not. And you don't know for sure, until they get here and begin their program. Oh, there are some high school athletes who have competed at a very high level, and are sure bets, but the go to schools like Kentucky and Kansas.

I love Jesse's size, personality, and confidence. I'm hoping he's not only a superior player, but can provide some vocal leadership, that we have not always had. But that's for a later chapter, right now, let's get him on campus, and start the transition. I'm hopeful that Julius and Fore, will have great careers here, as well. I'm very confident that at least two will, but all three would be a bonus.

Actually, Jesse's brother first attended an NAIA school, but I understand your point. My point is that his brother was the leading scorer for his high school. So, he was an outstanding player against similar competition. I also don't think Jesse was all that heavily recruited, though he, obviously got an offer from Charlotte. Not sure what got UR into the picture, whether we recruited him originally or not.

We've all seen many high school athletes go through a tough transition in college. They've never faced players, with that kind of speed, athleticism, skill, and size. Most of our recruits have successfully made that transition, but a few have not. And you don't know for sure, until they get here and begin their program. Oh, there are some high school athletes who have competed at a very high level, and are sure bets, but the go to schools like Kentucky and Kansas.

I love Jesse's size, personality, and confidence. I'm hoping he's not only a superior player, but can provide some vocal leadership, that we have not always had. But that's for a later chapter, right now, let's get him on campus, and start the transition. I'm hopeful that Julius and Fore, will have great careers here, as well. I'm very confident that at least two will, but all three would be a bonus.

There are ~40,000 high schools in the US, but only ~1000 spots per year for freshman on D1 basketball rosters. The vast majority of leading scorers on high school basketball teams are not D1 caliber players. I trust our coaching staff to identify players who can compete at our level, and don't see any reason to think Jesse won't be a success here.

Guards recruited under Mooney:
David Gonzalvez
Kevin Anderson
Darien Brothers
Cedric Lindsay
Kendall Anthony
Wayne Sparrow
Tim Singleton
Shawn'dre Jones
Josh Jones
Khwan Fore
Kadeem Smithen

This list is pretty impressive. The misses are Sparrow, Singleton and Smithen, but there are 3+ 1st team all-A10 players on the list (I include Cedrick, he would have been 1st team if not POY if he didn't get injured.)

Guards recruited under Mooney have become all-A10 players more often than busts. With Julius, Jesse and Fore the odds are at least one of them will be contending for A10 POY at some point in the next four years.

[
David Gonzalvez
Kevin Anderson
Darien Brothers
Cedric Lindsay
Kendall Anthony
Wayne Sparrow
Tim Singleton
Shawn'dre Jones
Josh Jones
Khwan Fore
Kadeem Smithen

I agree this is a pretty impressive list. However, you also listed in them in order of recruitment and I noticed that the top of this list (Mooney's early recruits) are a much higher caliber bunch than the bottom of this list (Mooney's late recruits).

First five players on the list all went onto have really great careers. The guard recruits in the past several years, we have had 3 busts (Singleton, Smithen, Sparrow) who ended up transferring, 2 players who we don't know enough about yet (JJ and Fore), and 1 player who is going to join the first 5 with a great career (SDJ).

So, one might conclude that our recruiting at the guard level has decreased as Mooney's tenure has progressed. (In fairness, you didn't include some early guard transfers in CM's first year, kid who went to Towson and one who went to JMU, names escaping me right now).

Brewster, Kendall and Morris. And a couple years later we missed with Chris Richard.
as for recruiting level, I'll eat my hat if at least 2 of our freshman guards don't have really good careers.

Thanks S-man. I forgot about Brewster entirely. Only thing I remember of Brewster was him getting stuffed by the rim on a wide open dunk at ODU. In my mind CM gets a pass for that first year, as he basically had to recruit an entire roster (and I think we did get Geriot and Butler in that class). As for Chris Richard, did he ever attend, UR? I know we offered, he committed, but thought he backed out and ended up at Oregon State before ever coming to UR.

I have made it clear that I think that Mooney is a lousy strategic bench coach who has been responsible for many late game losses. HOWEVER, as the lists above signify, he has had great success recruiting top quality guards.

I agree that Shawn'dre Jones is next, AND that it is highly likely that Fore and/ or J. Johnson will follow suit. I expect Johnson to play 10-15 minutes a game as a freshman.

I have made it clear that I think that Mooney is a lousy strategic bench coach who has been responsible for many late game losses. HOWEVER, as the lists above signify, he has had great success recruiting top quality guards.

I agree that Shawn'dre Jones is next, AND that it is highly likely that Fore and/ or J. Johnson will follow suit. I expect Johnson to play 10-15 minutes a game as a freshman.
Don't be surprised if Jesse breaks into the starting lineup by the end of the year.

Thanks for the link, great article, the parents seem like special people also. Looking forward to getting a chance to meet them. Interesting that he came from the same school as JJ Avila.

After de-committing from Charlotte, looks like Jesse chose the Spiders over Western Kentucky and Tennessee, a P5 conference member. Roll Spide!

Pistokache and Avila went to different schools. Same area though.

Ulla, great find on the article. I have to say after reading that piece, I am really excited about Jesse. I don't think we need to question his work ethic or attitude. Seems like the type of kid that is going to make the coaches job a lot easier. Also good to see in print what has been rumored on here, that he did have an offer from Tennessee.

I think for the first time in a while we are going to see one of these 2 freshman play a pretty big role in next year's rotation.

The Tennessee offer seemed late, could it have been from Barnes?

Could they have taken LaMonte Turner instead?

If so not bad competition...

[
David Gonzalvez
Kevin Anderson
Darien Brothers
Cedric Lindsay
Kendall Anthony
Wayne Sparrow
Tim Singleton
Shawn'dre Jones
Josh Jones
Khwan Fore
Kadeem Smithen

I agree this is a pretty impressive list. However, you also listed in them in order of recruitment and I noticed that the top of this list (Mooney's early recruits) are a much higher caliber bunch than the bottom of this list (Mooney's late recruits).

First five players on the list all went onto have really great careers. The guard recruits in the past several years, we have had 3 busts (Singleton, Smithen, Sparrow) who ended up transferring, 2 players who we don't know enough about yet (JJ and Fore), and 1 player who is going to join the first 5 with a great career (SDJ).

So, one might conclude that our recruiting at the guard level has decreased as Mooney's tenure has progressed. (In fairness, you didn't include some early guard transfers in CM's first year, kid who went to Towson and one who went to JMU, names escaping me right now).

I think its hard to look at list of this nature because you have to remember that when Gonzo and KA were frosh - the cupboard was bare and Mooney had no choice but to play them, and play them a lot. They got to play through mistakes, gain experience, and learn by playing in high level college games. I am not saying they still would not have had good careers - but you have to wonder - if Kevin Anderson were a frosh last year - do you think he plays 35 minutes a game, is 2nd on the team in shots attempted, and gets 10 points a night? Same with Gonzo - do you think if he was an incoming frosh last year, competing with a soph. Shawn Dre Jones and Senior Kendall Anthony and Trey Davis - does he do the same - 30 minutes a night, 2nd most shots, and 10 points a game.

I think Anderson and Gonzo and even to a point Anthony were fortunate in that when they were young, there was very little competition in front of them so they got to play a lot early, learn a lot early, and that helped them develop. The key is - how do you develop the players behind the good players, so that when your Anthony's, Anderson's and Gonzo's graduate - are they ready to fill in so there is not a major drop off?

Barnes hired one of Charlotte's assistant coaches to his staff, which is I'm sure why Tennessee was looking at Jesse. But obviously, they liked him enough to make an offer.

Tennessee type programs are the exact type of program that we should be able to compete with for kids. They are P5 but not a powerhouse program. And I think we should be able to match up the caliber of our education vs UT, small school environment vs. big state school, and heck the A-10 has been getting more bids than the SEC recently anyway.

There are a LOT of inherent advantages that we can throw on the table for a UR offer that makes a UR offer better than some P5 school's offer.

And then Coach (McLeod) tells me, ‘But a couple of schools have opened up, and I think you’re going to go to Richmond. I think that’s the place.’”

not sure what our relationship is with Coach McLeod, but clearly that was very important here.

To Trap's point on opportunity, the slots for early playing time were definitely there for the players mentioned. I think it's much easier to land a special player when you can point at a slot and show that they should earn early time. graduating a guy like Kendall had to be a positive in recruiting Julius and Jesse. ANO leaving and TA and Deion graduating will be a positive in the front court next year. what frontcourt player won't be interested when you show we only have 3 bigs on the roster your freshman year, and two of them are seniors who will be gone when you're a sophomore? you SHOULD play a lot as a freshman and we NEED you to probably start as a soph.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT