ADVERTISEMENT

Jesse Pistokache - 2015 Target

TB,it doesn't matter if we are "better" than Charlotte -- it matters if we are "better" than the other schools that are now interested in him. He decommitted from Charlotte. It's pretty doubtful that he is going to end up there anymore. We are now competing with other schools for him, and he will figure out if we are the best fit or someplace else is. Hope he picks us.

He didn't sign a LOI to Charlotte. He verballed there and decommitted when Major was fired.

Brunt took the Miami job on Friday. It's Monday. Relax.

Originally posted by TBSpyder:

As for Chandler, I don't know what happened. He seemed to be a good prospect.
Diekvoss had one other offer besides ours. Northern Kentucky a school that is transitioning to D-1 hoops. Not sure what your definition of good prospect is but just because we offer someone does not mean they are a great prospect. Pretty clear to me he was redshirted because he wasn't ready to play and probably that was a factor in why he transferred as well.

As it relates to Jesse, just because he came to visit us, does not mean we necessarily want him to commit tomorrow either. Does he fit with what we are trying to do, both skill wise/personality wise. I don't know and the coaches are probably trying to assess that as well, given the fact that he was not on our radar screen prior to decommitting from Charlotte.

Again, I would like to know what other schools are interested in Jesse. If other schools of our stature are interested that would tell me something, likewise if we are the only ones sniffing around, that tells me something else as well. We shouldn't be the only school that is interested, if he is a player.

the lists of offers on this site and others aren ot to be taken as all encompassing every time. sometimes they're just flat incomplete. other times, they just show where a kid was at the time of commitment. schools that may have later offered often back off after verbals. and recruiting services don't ask the question on offers after they've already closed a book on a kid's recruitment.

also, shirting someone as a freshman is often a decision based on opportunity. yes, we'd love all freshmen to be so great that they push experienced players out of the way, but that's not always the case. sometimes you think highly enough of a kid that you don't want to waste a year of his eligibility when he won't get much of a chance to play. you want him around for 4 more years. I know the staff thinks very highly of Friendshuh. shirting him didn't mean he can't play. it meant there are a bunch of pretty good and further developed big men ahead of him. getting him 3-5 minutes here and there wasn't important in his development, especially when that's probably all that can happen for him this coming year. I assume he'll get his feet wet, but the real time for him starts the following year.

23, interesting quote in that link you posted. do you think Mooney was only referencing transfers coming from players we previously recruited in regards to Wood, or was that about kids we're currently looking at?

I find some of this thread very confusing. So if he now commits to Florida it means he decided Charlotte was better than Richmond?
ohwell.r191677.gif

TB, if you think Chandler was a good prospect and Jesse is not, then I totally understand what your problem is and that is you must not have seen either kid play in person. Jesse had not even seen the university until sat or sunday. Until today he had not met any academic or staff outside of the basketball office. If he was my son he would not be making some quick uneducated decision. Jesse is twice the prospect of Chandler. I have watched both and they are not even close.

Some posters are hung up with their own bombastic views of themselves and believe that UR is a haven for intellectually superior minds of which they possess.Get real.We ain't the Harvard of the South,the Duke of Virginia or Stanford of the east.Time to get off the high horse and learn to ride a pony.

This post was edited on 4/20 2:51 PM by 32counter

Originally posted by 32counter:
Some posters are hung up with their own bombastic views of themselves and believe that UR is a haven for intellectually superior minds of which they possess.Get real.We ain't the Harvard of the South,the Duke of Virginia or Stamford of the east.Time to get off the high horse and learn to ride a pony.
lol ... I'm not smart enough to know what you're talking about!

I think Stamford is the Stamford of the east.

But I hear you 32: our collective response to anything from VCU shouldn't be some iteration of "safety school" and our response to a recruit choosing elsewhere be some iteration of "he probably couldn't hack it academically." It's petty and obtuse.

Wow, the limitations of expressing oneself on the internet, is really brought home on this thread.

I have never said, Chandler was a good prospect. With benefit of hindsight, he was not, and we may have done him a disservice by offering him a scholarship. Not sure what he does next.

I never thought Jesse was a poor prospect. In fact, he sounds great, and I would love to see him at UR. But I've observed many of these recruiting ventures, and am aware of the calendar. Last August, almost every program had a schollie opening. The number is smaller now, and growing smaller every day. We generally want recruits to enroll in summer school, what is the deadline for that? Jesse is not just starting out, looking for schools to play for, he did that last fall, and selected Charlotte. He is now reconsidering, but that reconsideration is almost certainly going to be shorter and more focused than last fall. I would have thought that a visit to UR would have resulted in a commitment from Jesse, unless something led him to think otherwise. And, yes, the news of Brunt's departure, might have been that. And, of course, we don't know that UR actually has made him an offer. Jesse could still commit to UR, and I'd be very happy if that happens. But I think it unlikely, given the above facts.

Last August, almost every program had a schollie opening. The number is smaller now, and growing smaller every day.
The above statement exists in your mind. There are about 250 transfers now, and likely to go up to 700 again. So that means every single D1 program will have 1 - 2 more openings. And most schools will open a spot if they think the player they are pursuing is better than the 13th man on their roster. Just the way it is.

Originally posted by spider23:
Last August, almost every program had a schollie opening. The number is smaller now, and growing smaller every day.
The above statement exists in your mind. There are about 250 transfers now, and likely to go up to 700 again. So that means every single D1 program will have 1 - 2 more openings. And most schools will open a spot if they think the player they are pursuing is better than the 13th man on their roster. Just the way it is.
Correct. Jeff Goodman's list was last at 475 transfers and climbing. There's probably a comparable number of spots available now than there was back in the fall.

There are ~350 D1 schools most of which have 13 basketball scholarships. This means there are ~4500 D1 basketball players. Assuming 1/4th of these players graduate or leave every year, there are ~1,100 incoming freshman basketball players every year. Due to redshirting the number is actually lower (somewhere between 900 and 1100). Since the transfer market is close to 700 players (or 2 players per school every year) it is the same order of magnitude as traditional recruiting. AT the rate the transfer market is increasing, it is not unreasonable to think it will soon be as large or larger than the traditional market.

This post was edited on 4/20 4:49 PM by fan2011

I'm no math major, but the number of transfers, tells me nothing about the number of openings for an incoming freshman. The question for him, is how many schools with an equal or better program than Charlotte, have an opening and an interest.
Note that of the transfers, many programs have already filled their spots.

Some financially challenged programs, may never grant 13 scholarships, so an opening there, may be a mirage. The final constraint, is summer school. Unless UR is recruiting someone with a redshirt freshman year in mind, we want them working out over the summer with our established players. Time is running out.

NCAA will have to eventually do something about this explosion of transfers. And transferring because of a coaching change, looks questionable, because coaching changes are frequent. Indeed at many schools, you either lose, and get fired, or you win, and get hired by a more major program.

So on an average (I am ball parking) only 22 kids per state make it to D1 basketball out of the high school seniors every year. That is tough.

I'm delighted to have been wrong in the recruitment of Jesse. Ur is a vast upgrade to Charlotte, and I'm looking forward to seeing Jesse play as a Spider. I'm very impressed with Jesse's faith, and his basketball talents. Like many, I'm very optimistic about next year, but with this recruitment, I'm seeing a good solid core for years to come. The future is very bright.

Good pick up. I like his strong personality. The more I watch basketball, the more I feel the mental make up of a player may be the most important element. Of course they need to have skill and athleticism, but the mental game will determine success or failure.

Kid looks like he likes to score first. We need that on this team. Welcome to the family, Jesse.

Welcome aboard, Jesse. Sounds like a solid pick-up but other than a highlight video, I don't have much to go on. Is Jesse a starting caliber player or is he more of a roster filler type of player, that we are going to redshirt this year?

After watching the video, I love this kids attitude. Of course , his ability to play is very high on my list also. I think we have a rising star on our hands.

I think he's got a chance to play at the guard spot--we're going to have a big hole to fill at the SG spot this coming season. I think it'll be a battle with Josh Jones, Julius Johnson and Jesse (lot of J's there...and hopefully a lot of J's on the court...wait I think I'm onto something...)

watched more video and I'm impressed. nice handle, very good vision and passing, and a quick, high release on his shot. a combo guard who played point, clearly a position fit and replacement for Kadeem. can really shoot, and hit 90% from the FT line. Very good interview after he committed to Charlotte linked here. No question he's a good kid and will represent extremely well. And confidence won't be a problem!

https://richmond.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1722509

Looks very solid. Curious how he ended up at Blair academy from Texas.

Physically he appears to have an Adam Ward-like build, or at least the potential for one. That's a good thing! He looks like he could fill out to 205 without much problem.

Exciting and like his openness about his Christian faith - welcome to Spiderland!

Great news, glad to have Jesse. I like his attitude, going to be a crowd favorite.

Wasn't he ranked #2 overall at one point? Thought I read that on one of these links. Congrats to Jesse and us. Heard "Tupac's assassin" had a chance encounter with this kid too. Somehow he didn't chase him off with a mortal lock Pistokache 'Stache bet and we still landed him. Great news.

Read the Charlotte board on Jesse. Not much too glean, despite being a committed recruit, they didn't have a lot of other info than what has been posted on here already. Only thing I found that was new was that his only other offer besides Charlotte was UMBC. Seems to be keeping with a lot of our recent recruits as being "under the radar". Not a huge fan of our recent record with those guys, but hope Jesse is different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT