ADVERTISEMENT

Jesse Pistokache - 2015 Target

Read the Charlotte board on Jesse. Not much too glean, despite being a committed recruit, they didn't have a lot of other info than what has been posted on here already. Only thing I found that was new was that his only other offer besides Charlotte was UMBC. Seems to be keeping with a lot of our recent recruits as being "under the radar". Not a huge fan of our recent record with those guys, but hope Jesse is different.

This is going to sound snarky, but here we go. If solid 3 star talent is 'under the radar', you may want to root for another team. Richmond isn't going to pull top 100 guys very often, but you can be darn good with the right mix and right coach. I know you're hungry for the tourney, so I understand your frustration.

IMO, Jesse represents exactly the kind of good bet Richmond needs to be taking in recruiting. I think it is working out really well with Shawndre' and Khwan. Time will tell.

Welcome, Jesse! Having two guards coming in next year at 6'3" and good bodies will enable us to stand up to teams like Rhode Island, which, as you may remember, shut out our three-point shooting this year in the first half of the game at the Robins Center. Their tall, strong guards shut down Kendall and Shawndre. Great job of staying on the lookout for talent, Coach Mooney and staff!

Welcome, Jesse! Having two guards coming in next year at 6'3" and good bodies will enable us to stand up to teams like Rhode Island, which, as you may remember, shut out our three-point shooting this year in the first half of the game at the Robins Center. Their tall, strong guards shut down Kendall and Shawndre. Great job of staying on the lookout for talent, Coach Mooney and staff!

URI had the 9th best defense last year. They were shutting shooters down no matter how tall they were. However, they didn't stop Kendall from putting up 28 points against them. I would take scoring ability over height any day, recruiting height for the sake of height is not a good idea.

Last edited:
I agree 2011, it's about being a basketball player not a just a tall guy!!!!

97, after reading your post i called a buddy who is close to staff and he informed me that Jesse also had an offer from Western Kentucky and Tenn. had asked him to come visit. In most cases an offer follows. The coach who recruited him to UNC-C is now at Tenn. So that explains why the Tenn interest. My buddy is usually correct on these things

97, after reading your post i called a buddy who is close to staff and he informed me that Jesse also had an offer from Western Kentucky and Tenn. had asked him to come visit. In most cases an offer follows. The coach who recruited him to UNC-C is now at Tenn. So that explains why the Tenn interest. My buddy is usually correct on these things

Thanks R&B. I had heard that Tennessee was in on him, did not know that Western Kentucky had offered as well. FWIW, information like this puts my mind more at ease that he is not a Kadeem/Chandler type recruit. If multiple schools, especially schools that are not lower tier mid majors are in on a kid, that to me says there is a better likelihood that he will be a meaningful contributor once he is here.

KUDOS to Kim Lewis on this one, I understand Kim was actively involved with Jesse's recruitment, as well as with Julius, so Kim has a major hand on this class. Thanks for the hard work Coach! BTW my sources are telling me the same thing about WK and Tenn. It appears to me we did a good job of getting Jesse before he went to UT, we may have lost him to the glitz and glamour of the SEC.

Reactions: UR Fan 2
KUDOS to Kim Lewis on this one, I understand Kim was actively involved with Jesse's recruitment, as well as with Julius, so Kim has a major hand on this class. Thanks for the hard work Coach! BTW my sources are telling me the same thing about WK and Tenn. It appears to me we did a good job of getting Jesse before he went to UT, we may have lost him to the glitz and glamour of the SEC.

Keep recruiting, but recruit players that can benefit from the UR experience. I differ from many on this board, I don't expect UR to be another Kansas. But I do hope to see a basketball team of scholar athletes, who can be competitive with Kansas, and once in a while, actually beat them. We are not a UNC, and I'm actually very proud of that.

Hopefully Lewis is now our lead recruiter with Brunt gone. Anyone know for sure? Seems like he is more than capable.

Hopefully Lewis is now our lead recruiter with Brunt gone. Anyone know for sure? Seems like he is more than capable.

My understanding is "lead" refers to the relationship with the player, not some hierarchy of the coaching staff. Jones could be "lead" on one prospect, Lewis on another and Jenkins on a 3rd.

Mo, I agree. I do know that Kim is the guy with the relationship with both of these guys. I have a feeling that Kims contacts in the South are paying dividends for us.

things may have changed, they always are but know that Rob Jones recruits houston, is down here. does not really matter who does what, just need to keep getting the best student/athletes we possibly can.

Most of contributing players have come from the South recently. The Northern based prospects have typically not panned out as well. Not sure if different coaches have different regions of assignment or not, but if they do, the guy in the South is doing a heck of a job, the guy in the north, not so much.

Love the Johnson and Pistokache class but would love to see a transfer at 2 guard who could play next year. We have the front court to make a NCAA tourney run next year but we are thin at guard.

Other than Shawndre we are short a proven college scorer.

A little luck always helps in recruiting. After all, we are making offers to kids who didn't get offers from power conference schools. I'm reminded of Navy's David Robinson, who said he'd never have gone to Navy if he knew he'd grow to be a 7 footer. Cost him millions of dollars, though, I think he did alright, while in the NBA. Seeing a high school junior play, and the extrapolating how they'll play in 5 years, is problematic. I think it is more difficult evaluating recruits in the smaller school competition. I suspect that our best recruits have come from being in large school classes. Kendall is probably one of the best we recruited from the smaller schools.

What I meant to say is that it's harder for a recruited to evaluate players in the smaller school divisions. There certainly may be worthy recruits in some of those divisions. But the transition to D1 may be rougher for them.

Last edited:
Love the Johnson and Pistokache class but would love to see a transfer at 2 guard who could play next year. We have the front court to make a NCAA tourney run next year but we are thin at guard.

Other than Shawndre we are short a proven college scorer.

Fan 2, there's no way ... mortal lock ... that we bring in a grad transfer at 2 guard for this season after signing Jesse. we've got like 5 guys who can play the 2. not all proven, but someone will become a key guy there now with Kendall gone.

As far as I know, Brunt recruited the Mid-Atlantic. Not sure how far north he went. That's one reason I was not terribly upset to see him leave.

agreed spiderman. I just never saw us getting into grad transfer market. speaking of mortal lock (oversaturation alert), I was about to drop it on Jesse committing 3 days ago but that kind of would have been cheating.

Welcome Jesse Pistokache.

Fan 2, there's no way ... mortal lock ... that we bring in a grad transfer at 2 guard for this season after signing Jesse. we've got like 5 guys who can play the 2. not all proven, but someone will become a key guy there now with Kendall gone.
I agree (shocking, I know S-man). We have two freshman now coming into play 2 guard, you have to assume one of these guys is going to get meaningful playing time this year. And as far as the last remaining spot, my hope is that we are now going after a big man. ANO, Terry, and Deion all graduate this year and then TJ and MW graduate the following.

I agree. Overwhelming odds are that Jesse, Julius, Josh or Khwan (or some combination) will be able to be a scoring threat. We have tons of options at the 2, if we get a transfer I want to see one at the 4/5 who sits next year and then can help out when we lose all our big seniors.

a 4 or 5 transfer works, but so does a 3 for sure. Stanley Robinson's only 6'4" but a strong 6'4" and he can certainly play the 3 for us, bringing athleticism, toughness and defense that we'll miss when Trey and Deion leave.

I don't mind waiting for the next class to get a couple of bigs. it's easier to land a really good one with early time available for him.

I definitely want to see our last recruit be a center or PF who can play outstanding defense and may need development offensively. If he was not ready to play as a freshman we could red-shirt him (a practice that I enthusiastically support), and he might turn into a worthy successor to our two most recent outstanding shot-blockers. It is definitely not too early to start bringing in "the replacements" for the excellent defenders, in our front-court, that we will be losing in a year.

oldie, lots of ifs, mays, mights, in your thoughts, OK, you did have one definitely, so will give you some credit....HA. just reflects how unsure, a guess, recruiting is, you can recruit height but that is about all you really know about a guy. we have had success with an offensive midget but a giant shot blocker at that position.

Watch #30 of Texas Titans AAU team in top ten plays of three years ago.

Film title is 2015 Top Ten not 3 years ago? But anyway looks like pretty basic stuff from our guy. Thanks for the video.

Like the way Jesse Pistokache confidently takes the ball to the basket. Too early and not enough evidence to draw any other conclusions.

Film title is 2015 Top Ten not 3 years ago? But anyway looks like pretty basic stuff from our guy. Thanks for the video.
64, it's the Class of 2015 ... video posted April 2012 when Jesse was a high school freshman.

That was spectacular Ulla. He exemplifies a drive that reminds me of Kevin Anderson. I think he's going to be a really good fit at UR.

I have a hard time telling Jesse and his brother apart, especially in videos that are several years old.

me too, SF. older brother Joaquin running that workout. grey tank looks way too strong and old. video is from 9/2011 so Jesse just starting freshman year. MAYBE he's the kid in the pool? I'm not sure he's in the video at all.

Jesse is in the video several times. Perhaps he is most distinguisable on his back pushing up a large Everlast bag at 1:47 into the video.

got it. agreed, that's him.
I'm more impressive with his hoops highlights, though!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT