ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nelson - 2021 Commit

I dont know what you guys think but our future teams seem to be very guard heavy and small. If this guy ends up coming we could have 2 starting guards both at 5'10. we do succeed well with small guards but it could be a problem when we play a long athletic power 6 teams.

Reactions: plydogg
I'm not overly worried about it...Gilly and Blake are doing just fine. Wilson and Nelson seem to both be PGs, so their time on the floor together may be somewhat limited depending on how things go at the SG position, of course presuming Nelson even comes here. I'm optimistic about Bailey at the 2.

Reactions: plydogg
I dont know what you guys think but our future teams seem to be very guard heavy and small. If this guy ends up coming we could have 2 starting guards both at 5'10. we do succeed well with small guards but it could be a problem when we play a long athletic power 6 teams.
We also just signed a 6'6 guard, so. As for Nelson. Gotta think a small guard with big stats like this who is a hometown kid, got to like our chances. Interesting that the other D-1 school in town offered him and they didn't make the final cut.

Yes, no problem with his size. I Wilson sounds like a player, but we certainly can't put all our eggs in his basket. Liking the pool we are swimming in with Vandy. Hopefully Jason wants to make it really easy for his family to watch him play. Let's get him and Lucas Taylor and then get a super athletic big and a stretch four type and leave a ship open for a grad transfer. Hope you are right '05!

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
Yeah, I mean with Pippen only a soph next year, McBride either frosh eligible or sitting, and Lawrence coming in as a frosh, getting a bit of a logjam ahead of where Nelson would be.

Of course, at the rate Vandy guys declare early for the draft, all those guys might disappear.

Will be interesting to see if we can land Jason, really like that we are in his top two.

My top target right now. We need to land some size in this class obviously, that would seem to be more critical considering Wilson and Dji signed up, Crabtree with 3 years to play, etc. But we do need another strong ballhandler, playmaker, facilitator - and this guy fits the bill and is a winner. Hope we get him.

We need to land some size in this class obviously, that would seem to be more critical considering Wilson and Dji signed up, Crabtree with 3 years to play, etc. But we do need another strong ballhandler, playmaker, facilitator - and this guy fits the bill and is a winner. Hope we get him.
5 spots to fill in this class. one at each position. doesn't matter the order we get them in, but yes we definitely want a good PG here. Nelson would be a great commitment.

5 spots to fill in this class. one at each position. doesn't matter the order we get them in, but yes we definitely want a good PG here. Nelson would be a great commitment.

One at each position? This isn't 10 years ago. PF?? How do you recruit PFs when they do not exist in high school? It would be a big mistake to add an old school PF type player instead of an all around better basketball player just so you can add the "PF" position to your team. Ask any coach out there and they will tell you this position does not exist anymore. SF? How do you even define that anymore? C? No one is called a center anymore because the old C position needs to be so much more versatile now. Give me a good PG, a good big, and surround them with good basketball players and I will beat your 5 position team every time. As for Nelson, would love to have him. The more ball handlers the better.

Reactions: Spiderstew1962
I'll agree those positions may not really exist in h.s. anymore. But ask me what position Cayo plays, and it is PF. Grant plays a traditional center position. But I agree, let's get the best players available, hopefully a couple 6'8"+ athletic guys are in that category. Hopefully Nelson is one of those guys.

One at each position? This isn't 10 years ago.
the theory of positionless basketball is mostly myth. yes, some guys have skills that translate to multiple positions. that's awesome. but you still play 5 guys that work together in their traditional roles. you might not have an old school PF but you will have a bigger forward. your 5 may shoot 3's, but he still has to have size to defend another team's 5.

we're replacing:
Gilyard
Francis
Sherod
Cayo
Golden

you don't see a basic 1-5 there? even if there's some overlap in skills? you think that those 5 together fitting in positions is a coincidence?

you'll never see us bring in a 5 man class that couldn't play together at the same time. if you bring in 2 PG, you'll call one a combo guard. 2 posts ... you'll call at least one if not both a forward. that's recruiting 101.

“the theory of positionless basketball is mostly myth” Spiderman

I agree, Gilyard has made a living stealing the ball from these 6’5” to 6’9” positionless guys that think they can “handle” the ball. Maybe there are a few of those guys on the top 10 teams, but they are rare.

Don't pay for premium just to find out - it's not an in-depth post, but don't want a private conversation between us to be made available for any random person from Vandy stopping by.

Out of curiosity what is on the premium board? I've thought a couple times about paying for it but I don't really have an understanding of what exactly it is and up to now I don't believe I've ever asked.

Out of curiosity what is on the premium board? I've thought a couple times about paying for it but I don't really have an understanding of what exactly it is and up to now I don't believe I've ever asked.
It's not very active, but it's a place where 05 (and others) occasionally put stuff that might be best kept off the public boards. I have not yet resubscribed since I returned from my hiatus, but I should probably get on that.

If you're expecting a wealth of secret information, you'll be disappointed. The main reason to subscribe is to support the site.

I didn't realize that the university had purchased the Federal Reserve Building downtown until I saw that tweet. Nice!
Actually, I should let the cat out of the bag. We don't own the building, just the majority of what is inside...

One at each position? This isn't 10 years ago. PF?? How do you recruit PFs when they do not exist in high school? It would be a big mistake to add an old school PF type player instead of an all around better basketball player just so you can add the "PF" position to your team. Ask any coach out there and they will tell you this position does not exist anymore. SF? How do you even define that anymore? C? No one is called a center anymore because the old C position needs to be so much more versatile now. Give me a good PG, a good big, and surround them with good basketball players and I will beat your 5 position team every time. As for Nelson, would love to have him. The more ball handlers the better.
Um, you just described three positions.

Um, you just described three positions.

???? I did? Even if you think I did, why is that a problem when I was responding to a post that said we should have a 5 man recruiting class with one at each position?

???? I did? Even if you think I did, why is that a problem when I was responding to a post that said we should have a 5 man recruiting class with one at each position?
we'll revisit this in about 6 months when the class is complete. it'll look very similar position-wise to what we have graduating.

we'll revisit this in about 6 months when the class is complete. it'll look very similar position-wise to what we have graduating.

Does not prove anything if it does. You could call a guy like Burton a"PF" if you want, so how could you ever be wrong with this statement? We got our PG and big this year. I would hope we are taking the best 5 players possible next class, especially with some 3 pt guys. It would be foolish to turn down a 6'2 guy who can shoot the lights out because we needed to add an old school PF type just to make sure we got one at each old school position. You can call a guy like Nick a G or F, or an old school SF, but his outside shooting is what keeps him on the floor. We should not complete our class with a "SF" who can't shoot just to make sure we have a guy at each position.

Do you not agree that the game has changed and you need more shooters on the floor now? Your previous text made it sound like you were agreeing with me when you said we can get 2 PGs or 2 bigs and call them something else. Who cares what we call them, although guys are just called Gs and Fs now anyway.

Does not prove anything if it does. You could call a guy like Burton a"PF" if you want, so how could you ever be wrong with this statement? We got our PG and big this year. I would hope we are taking the best 5 players possible next class, especially with some 3 pt guys. It would be foolish to turn down a 6'2 guy who can shoot the lights out because we needed to add an old school PF type just to make sure we got one at each old school position. You can call a guy like Nick a G or F, or an old school SF, but his outside shooting is what keeps him on the floor. We should not complete our class with a "SF" who can't shoot just to make sure we have a guy at each position.

Do you not agree that the game has changed and you need more shooters on the floor now? Your previous text made it sound like you were agreeing with me when you said we can get 2 PGs or 2 bigs and call them something else. Who cares what we call them, although guys are just called Gs and Fs now anyway.
you're getting more hung up on fixed positions labels than I intended. some guys can only play one spot, but a ton are hybrids of sorts who fit in two slots. 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5.
my point is you clearly don't take the best 5 players with no regard to position. we'll take 5 that could play on the floor at the same time. it'll look like the current class that's graduating, with guys who do fit together in traditional positions. we're not taking 5 guards even if they're by far the best 5 we're recruiting. you don't do that to recruits.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
you're getting more hung up on fixed positions labels than I intended. some guys can only play one spot, but a ton are hybrids of sorts who fit in two slots. 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5.
my point is you clearly don't take the best 5 players with no regard to position. we'll take 5 that could play on the floor at the same time. it'll look like the current class that's graduating, with guys who do fit together in traditional positions. we're not taking 5 guards even if they're by far the best 5 we're recruiting. you don't do that to recruits.

Do you know how rare it is for us to have five guys in the same class starting? I can't think of another team that did that this year. No school is worried about getting 5 recruits in the same class "one at each position" , thinking they will all be starters together. It just doesn't happen. If we have three guard recruits and a forward recruit, would you really take a Derrick Williams type over a ShawnDre Jones type as your 5th recruit just so you can have another forward? Even if you already have forwards on your team, and you can recruit forwards next year if you need to? But, no worries, we can just disagree. No big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT