ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Wilson - 2020 Signee

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Somehow it doesn’t seem like Isaiah ever got his own thread, unless I missed it, but he certainly deserves one. Just spotted this quick Q&A...seems like a good head on his shoulders. I don’t think I’d realized he had reclassified when he transferred to First Love.

Somehow it doesn’t seem like Isaiah ever got his own thread, unless I missed it, but he certainly deserves one. Just spotted this quick Q&A...seems like a good head on his shoulders. I don’t think I’d realized he had reclassified when he transferred to First Love.

Now, if I only knew some of the folks he mentions maybe I wouldn’t
feel like such an ol’ fart.

other info from that article is we expect to sign 4 HS seniors and hold onto the last scholarship, possibly for a transfer

other info from that article is we expect to sign 4 HS seniors and hold onto the last scholarship, possibly for a transfer
Yeah, I was putting that over in the recruiting expectations thread. :)

Great attitude from Wilson. Team player. Helped recruit Randolph. I like the emphasis on defense, Dread also looks to be a defensive stopper coming in '21. It is a great learning opportunity to go up against Gilly every day in practice.

One thing that is always an adjustment for our smaller guards is learning how to finish vs taller more athletic defense. If he can use the year to learn Gilly's layup package that would be nice.

I hear so much on this board about nelson being the pg of the future but I don't see why we aren't looking at Wilson as the next star guard. Advantages wilson has over nelson includes size age and the fact that he gets one year to learn from gilly. Can't forget Wilson was one of the highest-rated Richmond recruits ever and I see him as the next gilly although I do still liken nelson.

Well, the difference I see (and of course I am basing this on a few highlight films, not a huge sample) is that Nelson appears to be a little craftier scorer, and does remind me a bit of KA (Kevin Anderson). Wilson does get a year to learn and looks like a very good penetrator/passer like Gilly. Good news for both is that we have proven time and time again that Mooney is not opposed to playing two smaller guards together. Both have the opportunity to be starters and stars I believe.

Reactions: nathanw19
Maybe I’m the only one, but watching some of the video highlights and hearing what Mooney said about his defense, he reminds me a bit of Khwan Fore? May be off base with that, but as we saw with Khwan, he got better every year and grew into his offensive potential. Don't hate having another guy like that in the backcourt as that could be dangerous with Nelson.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m the only one, but watching some of the video highlights and hearing what Mooney said about his defense, he reminds me a bit of Khwan Fore? May be off base with that, but as we saw with Khwan, he got better every year and grew into his offensive potential. Would not hate to another guy like that in the backcourt as that could be dangerous with Nelson.
Having two starting guards that are interchangeabl, that can both attack the zone and score from outside, in my mind,
are a blessing to have.

Reactions: plydogg
Quote from Mooney in RTD:
For instance, Mooney noted Wednesday that freshman guard Isaiah Wilson “is really going to be a good player. He’s certainly good enough to play. It’s whether he’s good enough to play on this particular team. (But) he’s good enough to play. I would think right now he has the best chance (among freshmen) to contribute valuable minutes, but I would say it would be hard for anybody.”

Wilson, Nelson, Bailey - really good looking core of guards for the future. Really interested to see Wilson's offensive game and skills. I liked Fore and understand the comparison, but I hope Wilson compares more to Blake, in that he is a very good defender but can really score it.

I would think right now he has the best chance (among freshmen) to contribute valuable minutes, but I would say it would be hard for anybody.”
that statement might say more about Weir than Wilson.

with our starting backcourt, there are very few guard minutes available and Goose probably gets them.

that statement might say more about Weir than Wilson.

with our starting backcourt, there are very few guard minutes available and Goose probably gets them.
Goose is not a true PG though, so I think there is an opportunity for Wilson to grab some minutes. But I want Goose getting his minutes because he offers such a nice change of pace in comparison to Gilly and Francis.

for the 4 mpg that Jacob is out, I think Blake & Goose could play together.

For sure. I think Blake is more of our point man in that scenario.
Just because Goose is not technically a point guard, I do believe he has the skills to play the point. Therefore, I agree with the folks above that having Blake and Goose in the game at the same time, guys with skills, with great court vision, who have been in our program for awhile, is a good idea.

Reactions: KE Spider
isaiah was the most impressive freshman I have seen in some time. For him to make an impact on a time as veteran as this is impressive. An absolute monster on defense just hounding the pg all the way up the court. He also showed off some really nice moves inside and creates space for himself very well. I am not sure about how good his shot is so we will have to see if he can consistently make shots from deep. Excited for him and tyler's future together.

He will absolutely help us on defense. He reminded me of a taller version of Gilyard there. Just a total pest and relentless. Loved it.
Maybe he is our next great guard to love.
Does anyone NOT love to watch Gilchrist. He’s amazing with his steals. With the NBA’s laissez-faire attitude in most games
he would be very valuable. I hope he gets a chance.

Maybe he is our next great guard to love.
Does anyone NOT love to watch Gilchrist. He’s amazing with his steals. With the NBA’s laissez-faire attitude in most games
he would be very valuable. I hope he gets a chance.
Do you mean Gilyard?

Reactions: Marley13
Agree with multiple posts above. Limited exposure out the box, but freshmen play was impressive, particularly Wilson. Bodes well for the future, if we can stitch in a few missing parts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT