ADVERTISEMENT

How do we improve the forum?

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
Everyone on this forum likes U of R basketball and wants it to succeed long term. Some people are positive on the program and other negative. Some people use it to enhance their knowledge of Spider Basketball, while other use it as a tool to try to get a coaching change. This difference in goals has created animosity between the forum participants. I find it very disappointing that Ulla1 has stopped sharing his insight, because he/she seems to have the inside track on the program and I am sure they are not alone in their frustrations. Is there anything we can do to improve the chemistry of the board? Do we need 2 separate boards where we are strict on who can post so the board is not highjack by people with agendas?

Everyone on this forum likes U of R basketball and wants it to succeed long term. Some people are positive on the program and other negative. Some people use it to enhance their knowledge of Spider Basketball, while other use it as a tool to try to get a coaching change. This difference in goals has created animosity between the forum participants. I find it very disappointing that Ulla1 has stopped sharing his insight, because he/she seems to have the inside track on the program and I am sure they are not alone in their frustrations. Is there anything we can do to improve the chemistry of the board? Do we need 2 separate boards where we are strict on who can post so the board is not highjack by people with agendas?
Premium site..i noticed activity has pretty much come to a grinding halt on the premium site.

What can improve the chemistry? One word: WINNING. We haven't been doing near enough of it and now a lot of people are apathetic and disgruntled about our program, some of us our damn well pissed off. There is little to be excited about now. We won 12 games last year, our program is picked at the bottom of the A-10 preseason this year by everyone, we lost the player we marketed our program around last year, signed a bunch of recruits last minute that didn't really have any other offers and we have a dog meat schedule.

Why do the Redskins have empty seats now. Because they are a mediocre product and have been for years. We are the Redskins. We have an organizational culture that is completely dysfunctional, we have a lack of true leadership and accountability, we have a few good players but a woefully incomplete team and roster and everyone knows we are about to embark on what will be another pretty dark year in Spider basketball.

Until that changes, this forum, the premium board are not going to see a lot of traffic. What traffic that does appear will be predominantly disgruntled because most of the fan base is fed up with our program. Want to improve chemistry on this board, fix the product that we all come to this board for.

not that anyone cares other than the mods, but I stopped being a premium paying board member this year after like 10 years or however long it's been up. not because of the team's performance but because I don't enjoy much of the board anymore. it's 90% negative and repetitive all the time. even when there's no new news to be negative about. you'd think certain posters would have gotten it all off their chest by now but they feel it's their responsibility to be continually heard. if they don't keep it up, the school will think everyone's happy and won't fire CM.

I can't fully quit the board because once in a while someone like Ulla posts something that gets me excited and happy to be a fan again.

yes, the board will get better when we're winning a lot. it's easy to be a fan when a team is winning.

Reactions: plydogg and VT4700
"it's easy to be a fan when a team is winning." spiderman

The truth is actually the exact opposite of what you say. Some are advocating for a coaching change because they are passionate about the program and seek a better product. This means that they care. Some fans might care enough that they want to see their team be ultra successful.

I know the fans who are consistently negative on this board are passionate. they wouldn't spend the time here if they weren't. I just think they're misguided. if they want to repeat how unhappy they are all the time, write letters or emails over and over to the right people. tell the right people you're withholding donations until you see improvement. do something to be heard other than just making this board a miserable place.

Reactions: VT4700 and Ulla1
I know the fans who are consistently negative on this board are passionate. they wouldn't spend the time here if they weren't. I just think they're misguided. if they want to repeat how unhappy they are all the time, write letters or emails over and over to the right people. tell the right people you're withholding donations until you see improvement. do something to be heard other than just making this board a miserable place.
I was happy during the Tarrant years, The Beilien years, even the Wainright years. Dooley years, liked the guy but figured we would make a change. Mooney years, supported him in the down years at first, was happy with the NCAA years - but did not think he was great and deserving a 10 year deal. BUT, he has been bad the last 5 and I reached my tipping point over the last year and a half. So yes, I am going to express my opinion. Mooney sucks!!!

And another thing, we do know that Mooney and the staff read the board, we have seen mention from posters, JOC, Moon himself. If nothing else, maybe we motivate him, but as evidenced by my avatar, think they have gone fat and happy.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Bring Rocco back!

(As Basketball coach)

We could kill two birds with one stone and silence the nattering nabobs of negative nostalgia on the Football board, too!

Reactions: urfan1
BUT, he has been bad the last 5 ...
I want NCAA's as much as you, but we haven't been "bad" the last 5 years. 12-20 is bad. 22-13 and 21-14 with NIT quarterfinals in 2017 and 2015 aren't "bad" years. obviously it's not the peak we want but easy on the hyperbole.

Reactions: VT4700
just put 23 and 97 on ignore. You get rid of 95% of the constant negative yammering and also about 75% of all posts total. It is efficient and doesn't make you want to claw your eyes out. And you might learn something useful from other posters who don't have an agenda.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
I want NCAA's as much as you, but we haven't been "bad" the last 5 years. 12-20 is bad. 22-13 and 21-14 with NIT quarterfinals in 2017 and 2015 aren't "bad" years. obviously it's not the peak we want but easy on the hyperbole.

Including 12-6 and 13-5 in the A-10 those 2 years, with one of them ending with us as the first team left out of the dance. And, a 3rd year out of the last 5 we were 18-9 and 8-4 in the A-10 in late February, but losing Ced and his 18+ PPG and senior leadership for the season caught up with us late that year. Saying we have been bad the last 5 years only proves those that say it have an agenda and will be negative regardless.

Including 12-6 and 13-5 in the A-10 those 2 years, with one of them ending with us as the first team left out of the dance. And, a 3rd year out of the last 5 we were 18-9 and 8-4 in the A-10 in late February, but losing Ced and his 18+ PPG and senior leadership for the season caught up with us late that year. Saying we have been bad the last 5 years only proves those that say it have an agenda and will be negative regardless.
Needs to recruit better.

we also had a 16-16 in there, and a postseason free 19-14 I believe.

It hasn’t been all bad but we should also acknowledge it hasn’t been all good.

Thank you SpiderDaMan. I too would love to see a strong Spiders and strong Rams team most years. when you were in the final 4 and we were sweet 16 I thought we were going to feed off each other and elevate each other for years to come. VCU got the memo and kept up their end, we slid into mediocrity. Really unfathomable. Just weird that Mooney struggled to recruit so badly after that. Yes, he brought in some good players, but just too many misses.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
We haven’t been “bad” the past many years, we’ve been “underperforming.” Either is a reason for change. As for changing the forum due to negative comments, someone needs to put on their big boy pants and toughen up a little. Winning solves negativity. Preform well, and you will receive praise. Underperform and you will be criticized.

Hmmm.. Random post removal...nice.

Apparently truly moderate and balanced posts are too much for the mods scouring this thread now. Maybe Ulla decided that my posts were just too heinous. He's got a thing for me and he's apparently powerful around here. Who knows? I've never been on a board where actual posts were removed. Guess I have now.

Ram fans are not allowed...no matter what they have to say positive or negative.

Having said all this (and likely to be banned soon), I still say nothing good happens until Mooney is gone. He's proven his worth....

Last edited:
Yes, "underperforming" is more appropriate. I feel like we did have borderline talent to get over the top, but the head coaching was holding us back. That is a big beef many of us have with Moon, you never feel confident in pulling an upset or winning comfortably against less talented teams. Once in a while his teams over perform, but usually not. That is on the coach. With Tarrant and JB, you always felt like you had a chance.

We've had ups and downs on here in the past. Generally get a lot of new posters when things are going well but when tides turn it can become a desert in here as certain people are repelled by others.

Premium board, honestly, has languished a bit and that's through no fault but my own. Been very preoccupied with my "new" job for the last year and now have been focused on an upcoming trip. Hoping to get back to more routine work on the site early '19.

I will say,there are some significant changes coming in the near future with Spider sports (no '23, we're not firing Mooney :)). I've been asked to hold off on sharing until things are absolutely finalized.

Reactions: localspider
We've had ups and downs on here in the past. Generally get a lot of new posters when things are going well but when tides turn it can become a desert in here as certain people are repelled by others.

Premium board, honestly, has languished a bit and that's through no fault but my own. Been very preoccupied with my "new" job for the last year and now have been focused on an upcoming trip. Hoping to get back to more routine work on the site early '19.

I will say,there are some significant changes coming in the near future with Spider sports (no '23, we're not firing Mooney :)). I've been asked to hold off on sharing until things are absolutely finalized.
Define near?................. Millennium? Century? Decade? Year? etc.

Geez, do we have DistrictBaller here with the intriguing wish you knew it, can't tell you information? Been to this rodeo before...

We have a moderator that has been included in certain athletic committee meetings and was specifically told by the Associate AD that it couldn't leave the room. I'm not risking ruining something for the department.

You're new, you'll catch on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT