ADVERTISEMENT

High Noon Fordham Game

Uh oh, I'm going to get a bowl of popcorn and watch this board melt down.

* Sellout crowd.

* Double-digit win.

* Board whipping boy Matt Grace with a career-high 21 points.

* Defense holds Fordham's best player to only five points and one garbage-time basket.

Absolutely nothing good can come of this.

Despite the drastic differences in record they are only +/- 30 spots better than us in NET ranking. So looking at it in a vacuum, a #130 team on the road against a #160 team, it might not sound so crazy for the home team to be favored.

In the real world though we are two teams on vastly different paths right now. A win wouldn't shock me today but I think this game should be much closer to a pickem.
Like I was saying 😂

Good win. Great game Grace
Is attendance. Ticket sales or people in the arena? There were a lot of empty seats even at the end
Sell out means just that. Tickets sold not necessarily fannies in the seats. Vcu did this for years to keep their "streak" alive for sellouts

* Sellout crowd.

* Double-digit win.

* Defense holds Fordham's best player to only five points and one garbage-time basket.

It was Fordham. Glad we won, hope we win them all but when your high point to the season to date is beating Fordham times must be tough. Here's to getting up to 55%.

Reactions: SpiderK

* Sellout crowd.

* Double-digit win.

And we're here because we hate the Richmond Spiders and we want to see them lose.

Even in victory, you're the first one with a post game negative post. wow

the announcer got it . Mooney thinks scrimmages are the only way to improve skills or get in shape. Idiotic
I can’t tell you the number of times I saw Bob McCurdry or John Schweitz. In the gym by themselves sooting. Or for that matter Beilin going through shooting drills with players. Scrimmage is not practice working on skills

Reactions: SpiderK
And we're here because we hate the Richmond Spiders and we want to see them lose.

Even in victory, you're the first one with a post game negative post. wow
Negative? You've been out in the sun far too long. I'm thrilled we won today, just as I'm always thrilled when we win. Unlike some here who try to diminish it.

As far as "wanting them to lose," well, there's more than one person on this board who stated they wished last year's run through the A-10 tournament and beating Iowa would have never happened, that we would have been better off losing to Rhode Island in the A-10 first round.

Last edited:
Great team defense today! Obviously no BDay boy Matty Grace (35 minutes) and Goose's (33 minutes) not a chance in you know where a Spider win today.

Sidenote: +/- Matty +16, Tyler +14, Goose +4 and in 17 minutes Dji+25. Not much of a stat line but appears he's been watching how Goose's plays D. Hopefully can do more offensively. Helps to have height/length.

Unfortunate opposite end rough day for JayNel. A -15 in 20 minutes. There was sequence in 1st half where man shot right over him for 3. Then went by him for easy layup. Then player went by him, passed to man for easy layup +1. There's definitely talent there and hope he gets his game together going forward.

And plenty of points especially last few minutes from FT line but only 28% (12-43) of shots were 3PTAs. Shot 50% but doesn't mean attempt more. Good win for the players!

Hey guys, did any of you know that Mooney used to plan weddings and now is the winningest coach of all time at our school?

• Haha
Reactions: Spiders4ever
Yes, he is very negative poster. Great game by Grace on his birthday!
I'll concede to seriously tweaking the nattering nabobs of negativity who find fault with anything good that happens while Mooney is still coaching.

But please, show me examples of negative posting. I'll be standing by.

Great team defense today! Obviously no BDay boy Matty Grace (35 minutes) and Goose's (33 minutes) not a chance in you know where a Spider win today.

Sidenote: +/- Matty +16, Tyler +14, Goose +4 and in 17 minutes Dji+25. Not much of a stat line but appears he's been watching how Goose's plays D. Hopefully can do more offensively. Helps to have height/length.

Unfortunate opposite end rough day for JayNel. A -15 in 20 minutes. There was sequence in 1st half where man shot right over him for 3. Then went by him for easy layup. Then player went by him, passed to man for easy layup +1. There's definitely talent there and hope he gets his game together going forward.

And plenty of points especially last few minutes from FT line but only 28% (12-43) of shots were 3PTAs. Shot 50% but doesn't mean attempt more. Good win for the players!
Very interesting +- on Dji. Traveling today and listened to some of tv broadcast. It did seem that 2nd half Dji came in and made a couple plays turning around the deficit. Like u said not a ton of offense but the key thing is he seems to be helping us win.

I'll concede to seriously tweaking the nattering nabobs of negativity who find fault with anything good that happens while Mooney is still coaching.

But please, show me examples of negative posting. I'll be standing by.
Don't have time but your tone and attacking anyone anti Mooney (and pro SPIDERS) is negative every time.

Negative? You've been out in the sun far too long. I'm thrilled we won today, just as I'm always thrilled when we win. Unlike some here who try to diminish it.

As far as "wanting them to lose," well, there's more than one person on this board who stated they wished last year's run through the A-10 tournament and beating Iowa would have never happened, that we would have been better off losing to Rhode Island in the A-10 first round.
Well to be fair, I think there’s some merit to that argument. It’s not like we’re setting the world on fire this year.

Maybe in another year or two, which is a common refrain.

Don't have time but your tone and attacking anyone anti Mooney (and pro SPIDERS) is negative every time.
Complete BS. I've said we need a new coach. But that's not my decision to make. So until we get one I'll want us to win every time and support the current coach instead of finding fault with every single thing he does.

Here are a few things I’d like to see against Fordham:
1) Starting lineup of: Bailey, Goose, Burton, Bigelow, Quinn/Grace (pick ‘em)
2) work inside until it’s clearly not working
3) play at a faster pace, shots off before 10 secs on shot clock
4) Bigs not to shoot from 3, drive or pass
1) Well, we didn’t get Bigs on #1, so I guess that’s a miss but he did get 25 mins and Quinn got 16. Check?
2) only shot 12 3s, seems way better. Check.
3) I only recall a couple of rushed end of clock shots, and no clock shot violations. Check.
4) Bigs only fired up one 3pt shot. Check.

I’ll take that until it stops working.

I just love this kind of win. Never giving up, ramping up the intensity, great comeback and pulling away at the end with defense and free throws! I'll give props when props are due, Chris had a solid late game strategy inserting aggressive players Bigs, Dji, Goose, and Randolph earlier. And great leadership with our seniors Tyler and MFG!

Dji had a huge impact on the game today despite the lack of an impressive stat line. I've never been much of a +/- guy but I noticed a difference when he was in each time today. Solid D, good decision making on O, and more importantly we seemed to gain a lead each time he entered and lose it when he went out. He's earned the starting role for the foreseeable future in my opinion.

Great games by Grace and Burton as well. Grace really kept us in it in the first when nothing seemed to go our way, and then Tyler got it going on offense in the second. Really good, pestering defense for most of the game from everyone. All in all good to see our guys back in the win column.

Last edited:
Very interesting +- on Dji. Traveling today and listened to some of tv broadcast. It did seem that 2nd half Dji came in and made a couple plays turning around the deficit. Like u said not a ton of offense but the key thing is he seems to be helping us win.
And more importantly…no “bad TOs” 😀 the charge call was horrendous which accounted for his 1 TO. Dji was at his best in the 2nd and most Def would had a few more mins had he not gotten into foul trouble in 1st. Just told him look to be a little more aggressive for scoring opportunities. Good way to start the week! Hopefully team can build on it.

Ah, it was a nice 7ish months without every game turning into a referendum on Mooney. Looks like things are back to normal.

Dji had a huge impact on the game today despite the lack of an i.pressive stat line. I've never been much of a +/- guy but I noticed a difference when he was in each time today. Solid D, good decision making on O, and more importantly we seemed to gain a lead each time he entered and lose it when he went out. He's earned the starting role for the foreseeable future in my opinion.

Great games by Grace and Burton as well. Grace really kept us in it in the first when nothing seemed to go out way, and then Tyler got it going on offense in the second. Really good, pestering defense for most of the game from everyone. All in all good to see our guys back in the win column.
Agree…yeah the +/- is not my favorite or at least shouldn’t be the sole analytic, but the staff is big on it & per 40. I think the 2 games we’ve seen him starting he’s been better in each game. I’ve always held to belief that he just needs a real opportunity. Soo glad the staff hadn’t “Seen All They Needed to See” to know he could help this team🫣 He’s been sick with a cold the last 3 days and pushed through, so proud of him for that too. I personally like when we go with our athletes and play uptempo…I just think we are a better team when we do. If he can just become a little more aggressive on offense, I think that will make us even better. ✊🏼

Wasn’t pretty, but it was a win. Defense in the last five minutes won the game. We play so much better when we press (same story as last year).
Unfortunately the opponents have figured pressing us is the key also. We have the depth so why not press and create opportunities and take the other guys out of sync.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Unfortunately the opponents have figured pressing us is the key also. We have the depth so why not press and create opportunities and take the other guys out of sync.

Agree, biggest concern with playing this way for extended periods is you would have to rest Burton which doesn’t happen a whole lot. But we have enough guards to rotate through and do it, could potentially get Noyes some minutes this way.

We had Randolph, Dji, and Nelson on the floor today at the same time today - don’t recall seeing that grouping before.

And more importantly…no “bad TOs” 😀 the charge call was horrendous which accounted for his 1 TO. Dji was at his best in the 2nd and most Def would had a few more mins had he not gotten into foul trouble in 1st. Just told him look to be a little more aggressive for scoring opportunities. Good way to start the week! Hopefully team can build on it.
Dji length bothered them and wish he could have attacked lane more since Tyler was double teamed. Dji and Goos are good slashers. Speaking of Goos I was proud of him taking an immediate three at key point in game right one rimmed out for him. It took some gonads to that right in front of Richmond bench. Also the last 7 minutes Mooney barely made any lineup change since these guys(Dji, Goos, Bigelow, Burton and Grace) had rallied the team.

Agree, biggest concern with playing this way for extended periods is you would have to rest Burton which doesn’t happen a whole lot. But we have enough guards to rotate through and do it, could potentially get Noyes some minutes this way.

We had Randolph, Dji, and Nelson on the floor today at the same time today - don’t recall seeing that grouping before.
Yeah found that threesome a bit surprising but didn’t last long … Marcus as he normally does contributed in a small # of min

Agree…yeah the +/- is not my favorite or at least shouldn’t be the sole analytic, but the staff is big on it & per 40.

where can I find the +/- stat? Nobody seems to know but it is referenced on here occasionally. I have seen it b4 in the full (laptop) version of Home live stats. but in game only never recorded. I was on mobile and did not see in there. Like any stat it is not the end all be all but it does have some merit. Also, this is only a gut feel bc I have not seen the #'s but my guess is it played some role in the benching of Nelson.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
where can I find the +/- stat? Nobody seems to know but it is referenced on here occasionally. I have seen it b4 in the full (laptop) version of Home live stats. but in game only never recorded. I was on mobile and did not see in there. Like any stat it is not the end all be all but it does have some merit. Also, this is only a gut feel bc I have not seen the #'s but my guess is it played some role in the benching of Nelson.
I got it from Dji but not sure where others are getting it from. Def agree with you too…shhh let’s not tell everyone that😀 not being the end all be all bc it can be misleading or unfair in some cases.

Dji length bothered them and wish he could have attacked lane more since Tyler was double teamed. Dji and Goos are good slashers. Speaking of Goos I was proud of him taking an immediate three at key point in game right one rimmed out for him. It took some gonads to that right in front of Richmond bench. Also the last 7 minutes Mooney barely made any lineup change since these guys(Dji, Goos, Bigelow, Burton and Grace) had rallied the team.
Sorry Randolph rotated in during this crucial time also, but there was no major changes

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Announcers were very impressed with the defense and physicality too. Also, sounds like we went down 11, and switched over to 3/4 court 1-2-2 that helped turn things around.

They were & Fordham's D was very in your face, more so than ours imo. Not sure why we can't get more backdoors or drive & kicks if they r playing that tight. where r the assists. Our continued poor assist rate might be the top indicator of our struggling O. Now our D was good too, we gave up only 58. McCormick was very high on Goose shutting down Quisenberry as being #1 factor. Tho he soundly mildly surprised. Probably hasn't seen him play too much idk.

The announcers going to the Mooney wedding well 2 mins into game. If we could get a prop bets on the O/U for wedding planner talk we could buy out Mooney tomorrow. Give. It. A. Rest.

Also mccormick was harping on us not having any shot blocking ability. Ok true but when have we since Darius Garrett?

Finally got secondary scoring for Burton, primarily Grace then goose chipped in more than normal too.

Limiting Nelson minutes 2nd half was the right move. As noted by others we really went w 1 lineup down the stretch, maybe 6 guys.

ADVERTISEMENT