ADVERTISEMENT

High Noon Fordham Game

personally, it drives me nuts. my kid's HS coach did it all the time. it penalizes high effort on defense. I've seen big men allowing shots inside instead of challenging, and being rewarded with more playing time. meanwhile the better player sits for 10 minutes, we lose a lead, and he ends up going home with 2 fouls. way to go, coach. you basically fouled your best player out with 2 fouls.

I think coaches are afraid of the criticism if the kid gets a 3rd in the 1st half. "obviously should have take him out. that's a bad decision by coach".

personally, it drives me nuts. my kid's HS coach did it all the time. it penalizes high effort on defense. I've seen big men allowing shots inside instead of challenging, and being rewarded with more playing time. meanwhile the better player sits for 10 minutes, we lose a lead, and he ends up going home with 2 fouls. way to go, coach. you basically fouled your best player out with 2 fouls.

I think coaches are afraid of the criticism if the kid gets a 3rd in the 1st half. "obviously should have take him out. that's a bad decision by coach".

It makes even less sense for someone like Dji, or really anyone on team not Burton possibly Goose for D, because if u foul out everyone else has a roughly equivalent person to replace u. Not always the case, Gilly on last year team we wouldn't. But someone like Dji and I just use Dji as example bc it just happened last game, well he's not playing heavy mins anyway. maybe u sometimes protect a player u will rely on for heavy usage down the stretch like a Burton. Even then I find it overrated, but way overrated for guys with lesser roles.

Reactions: urfan1
Always...at least for the last 3 yrs anyway. I've seen every player on the team if they collected two fouls come sit. Coaches across the country do this more often than not. Just saw it the other night in UNC vs dookies, Hubert sat RJ when he got his 2nd in 1st half even when all UNC fans know he has to be on the floor.
Not always this season, only 95.3% of the time 🤣
Highest % Iowa 99.9
Lowest % Little Rock 34.8
Median 80.3%

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
It makes even less sense for someone like Dji, or really anyone on team not Burton possibly Goose for D, because if u foul out everyone else has a roughly equivalent person to replace u. Not always the case, Gilly on last year team we wouldn't. But someone like Dji and I just use Dji as example bc it just happened last game, well he's not playing heavy mins anyway. maybe u sometimes protect a player u will rely on for heavy usage down the stretch like a Burton. Even then I find it overrated, but way overrated for guys with lesser roles.
Really doesn't make sense for teams with high bench minutes but..
VCU 88.8%
UMass most bench minutes in the nation 90.9%

With this team struggling offensively right now, I don't know how you could sit Tyler for long if he picked up 2 early ones in the 1st half. Maybe sit him for a couple minutes because he might get a couple minutes out in the 1st half anyway, but unless we manage to keep the score around the same spread while he is out, he needs to be on the floor. I can't let a tie game become a 10 point deficit while he is on the bench. Then, once it gets to 2 minutes or so, take Tyler and any other guys with 2 fouls out.

Not always this season, only 95.3% of the time 🤣
Highest % Iowa 99.9
Lowest % Little Rock 34.8
Median 80.3%
A lot of times, guys will get their 2nd foul inside of 2 or 3 minutes, so teams will just sit them them the rest of the half, making this stat weighted sometimes.

I agree with most here. Depending on who the player is, what their value to the team is, dropoff to their replacement, ability to play without fouling/hurting team and game flow situations should all contribute to this decision to sit/not sit a player, not a blanket rule.

As an aside, I think this is one of the criticisms of Moon hoarding timeouts to use after scoring at end of games. There is no utility to a having 3 timeouts at the end if the game got away much earlier when they could have been utilized. Same as sitting a leading scorer with 2 fouls if the other team goes on a run and there is no offensive option for response. Saving something for a situation that becomes less likely by the second/minute is not the way to go.

The wild flip side to the fouls situation is the Duquesne guy who fouled out with 11 minutes left. I think the staff didn't realize it though - possibly on an earlier foul on that guy in the game, so they had a bad count.

Always...at least for the last 3 yrs anyway. I've seen every player on the team if they collected two fouls come sit. Coaches across the country do this more often than not. Just saw it the other night in UNC vs dookies, Hubert sat RJ when he got his 2nd in 1st half even when all UNC fans know he has to be on the floor.

Yes but more like the last 18 years from Mr. never change philosophy...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT