ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread / VCU #2 Sat 6pm CBS sports network - Redout

Really like this group! Extremely tough - - physically and mentally. I feel like VCU played as well as they can and we simply answered every shot. We have shrunk up a lot of times when they turn up the pressure and the physicality, but this group stepped up.

I don't think I have ever seen a Spider team shoot like that, ever. An unconscious streak. Ended of course by a shot clock violation because....

Good chance we will have to play them again in the A10 tournament if we finish 1st and they finish 4th.

Some big time shots all 2nd half across the board really. Every starter. Hunt 3 after vcu run early in 2nd I thought was really key even tho lot of time left.

Dji maybe had his worst half of season imo but who cares what a monster 2nd and just some great finishing.

Only way Mooney ever been out of timeouts that early is his players taking them! Which I think were smart to’s being in the traps.

Not sure I agree about rather seeing vcu again in a10. They have a way of 1 upping us. But we got some other work to do first anyway & deal w it later.

Go Spiders

Some big time shots all 2nd half across the board really. Every starter. Hunt 3 after vcu run early in 2nd I thought was really key even tho lot of time left.

Dji maybe had his worst half of season imo but who cares what a monster 2nd and just some great finishing.

Only way Mooney ever been out of timeouts that early is his players taking them! Which I think were smart to’s being in the traps.

Not sure I agree about rather seeing vcu again in a10. They have a way of 1 upping us. But we got some other work to do first anyway & deal w it later.

Go Spiders
Yes, Delonnie hit huge shots all game. One in similar spot in 1st half to get UR's offense finally going, then that huge 3 as well as a 3 point play, and made all his FTs. He was huge all game.

Well congratulations to our cross town nemesis! Hec of a game! We were there in section 14 and it was indeed a terrific game except that we lost! Thank the good Lord King is graduating. I believe he shot with his eyes closed and made all those threes. You all are well positioned for the tourney - when that inside out game is rolling it will be hard to stop you all. My only regret was not catching up with @BillyWayne ! Really don’t want to play you all or Loyola in the tourney. Congrats again!

No way the starters were coming out for rest in the 2H. Only 23 bench minutes all game.
Starters had 35, 35, 33, 35 and 39 (King!) minutes. King was Gilly-like!
But can't do that three games in 4 days in Brooklyn.

I wasn't there but vcu fans are making it sound like our reception for Nelson was vulgar and inappropriate. I assume it's just sour grapes from losers. Someone fill me in.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but if we beat Joes on Wednesday we lock in the #1 seed. So what does Mooney do for the last game against GMU? Play all out to keep sharp and momentum going? Or dial it back somewhat to minimize injury risk and give starters some rest. My preference is the latter but pros and cons of each approach.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but if we beat Joes on Wednesday we lock in the #1 seed. So what does Mooney do for the last game against GMU? Play all out to keep sharp and momentum going? Or dial it back somewhat to minimize injury risk and give starters some rest. My preference is the latter but pros and cons of each approach.

No way we’d dial back. We r still playing for at large even if odds r low.

After rough start we clearly looked the better team over the last 12-14 minutes. We started getting better shots and we didn't let them get very many good looks at all (Bamisille dunk excluded).

Best moment was when Quinn wheeled off the fake dribble hand off and rumbled in. Not only great for momentum, but also stopped them from doubling King on every dribble handoff and got him going a little after that!
If Quinn did that he could dominate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT