• Yes, by more than last year’s 21 points

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Yes, but by less than 21 points

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • No, let the meltdown begin

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hope always springs eternal for me when it comes to Spider Basketball in early November. (That said, I nearly died the year we lost to Norfolk State in game 1). This is essentially a totally new look Spider team. I think we win by 10 or 12, and like others have said, it is probably too close for comfort at halftime. But, I really look forward to seeing these guys play. And I think Jordan King could have a special year.

What's the deal with the "kinder, gentler" Mooney? Is that an assumption that he's mellowed post-heart surgery or has he made specific comments about his approach?

Mooney’s sideline demeanor, occasionally fiery when objecting to an official’s call, may be tempered a tad, he said. But that is a goal he set many years ago.

“I’ve been trying for a long time to make sure that we have good composure on the bench. Not just me, but everybody,” Mooney said. “I don’t anticipate too much of a change other than the fact that we’re always working toward (exemplary deportment) because I think that is certainly something that’s important to the entire game.”

Hope always springs eternal for me when it comes to Spider Basketball in early November. (That said, I nearly died the year we lost to Norfolk State in game 1). This is essentially a totally new look Spider team. I think we win by 10 or 12, and like others have said, it is probably too close for comfort at halftime. But, I really look forward to seeing these guys play. And I think Jordan King could have a special year.
When was that before Mooney?

That said, this stretch was bad enough…

Nov 2015 JMU
Nov 2016 beat VMI by 3
Nov 2017 Delaware
Nov 2018 Longwood

When was that before Mooney?

That said, this stretch was bad enough…

Nov 2015 JMU
Nov 2016 beat VMI by 3
Nov 2017 Delaware
Nov 2018 Longwood
We lost to them in 2007 but it was the 3rd game of the season not the first

Sooo, I remember last year the scoreboard and sound system issue were widely reported. Any updates on whether things will work properly tonight?

So many unknowns for both Richmond and VMI here that I'd slam the under if I wasn't betting in VA.

Looking at VMI, they only have two players on their roster who played significant minutes last year, though they weren't even in the Top 5 in RPIM (yes, it's back this year & revamped). Those players are Taeshaud Jackson (So.) and Devin Butler (Sr.). Only Taeshaud is in the starting lineup, and DJ Nussbaum (Sr.) is the only other player from last year's roster in the Starting lineup, though he was injured early on.

Players to look out for: Tyran Cook & Koree Cotton (both FR)

From what I can see on tape, Tyran Cook isn't afraid to throw up shots from anywhere, including tossing the ball off the backboard to himself for dunks. Look for him to take a lot of deep 2s and 3s rather than take it to the basket. Seems a decent enough defender though our small guards can likely blow by him

Cotton reminds me of Sal in terms of build, though Cotton seems to have a bit more physicality around the basket. His handling is overall solid and put up some massive HS stats, but we'll see how he can match up. I'm guessing he could be the pesky rebounder that Richmond hates, time will tell.

How Richmond can win:

Play simple basketball and execute the fundamentals. That's what plagues us in these early games. Since we have pieces and are unsure about cohesion, these players need to have the maturity to know that this team does not need a hero. Play team basketball, give the system progressions, and see who gets hot. Force VMI into bad shots that these young players will struggle to make.

I expect a close first half, but a pull away in the 2nd, though just short of covering the 16.5 spread

I am confused about why this tweet was just posted. He passed 1000 points last season.

His 1000 points will be recognized before the national anthem, the email says. But of course that isn't clear on the internet.
Ah, I apparently don't get those emails and I don't know how to sign up for them. Thought I was on pretty much every email list. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Pregame comment. Seems like all AV systems are a go. The team already seems quicker and like they are having fun versus going through the motions during the layup line. Quite a few dunks which I thought were prohibited by Mooney based on how few I have seen in other seasons. I don’t know what it means other than the Spiders have much more energy.

As expected, very few students in that section 15 minutes before tip.

King looks great, but the book on him is that he's really streaky. Need to see a bit more of a sample size from him.

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT