ADVERTISEMENT

A-10 Roster Turnover

Hey, he was leaving and the kids knew that the good ride was over. Of course they bolted, especially with a shot at playing for a successful program. This always happens when coaches move on. Trying to talk him down because he managed to take a guy that might very well go A10 POY before he graduates is a smart thing to do. Nothing wrong with it except for a bunch of butt hurt left over.
Smart? Maybe. Ethical? Definitely not.

Reactions: Spider2020
Why do you have spider in your username?
Because I'm on the Spider board...when I see something said that really doesn't make much sense no matter what the topic I'll chime in. Just so happened that this one was about Rhoades. Might be Mooney next time.

Smart? Maybe. Ethical? Definitely not.
Perfectly ethical. It's his job and his players who have been playing for him apparently really like him as a coach. Could it be that maybe the player decided he wanted to stick with his coach? Well, this particular kid had high P5 offers all over the place. Naah...never happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSpider and VT4700
Perfectly ethical. It's his job and his players who have been playing for him apparently really like him as a coach. Could it be that maybe the player decided he wanted to stick with his coach? Well, this particular kid had high P5 offers all over the place. Naah...never happens.
Could it be he is stupid?

You commit to the school, not the coach. If the coach leaves, players certainly should have the option to find another program that suits them but not be able to follow the coach. But I expect it’s easy to justify as a fan when the coach is now yours.

You commit to the school, not the coach.
Maybe most think that this is true, but many commit in fact because of the coach who they want directing their athletic development in their particular sport.
I would think that in this case it would be perfectly normal to follow the coach. While maybe true at UR, but not elsewhere is everyone is in it for an education at one particular school, particularly those who believe they can compete at the next level and it is their desire to get there.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Tell Muhammad Ali that. You are so wrong.

On April 28, 1967, boxing champion Muhammad Ali refuses to be inducted into the U.S. Army and is immediately stripped of his heavyweight title. Ali, a Muslim, cited religious reasons for his decision to forgo military service. Not many professional boxers claim the argument they don't believe in fighting but the Supreme Court overturned his conviction for draft evasion in 1971.

Reactions: iSpider
You commit to the school, not the coach. If the coach leaves, players certainly should have the option to find another program that suits them but not be able to follow the coach. But I expect it’s easy to justify as a fan when the coach is now yours.
Who are we to chain an 18-21 year old kid to anything? You advocate taking the freedom of choice from a kid? Hmmm.

Typical post from him....yeah, that'll bring a positive vibe to the board.
Try baiting me. Won't work. Enjoy your long weekend. Doesn't matter what color hat we wear.

Pretty cute kid though. We get joy wherever we can get it and this is pure joy.

Last edited:
Try baiting me. Won't work. Enjoy your long weekend. Doesn't matter what color hat we wear.

Pretty cute kid though. We get joy wherever we can get it and this is pure joy.

Hey man it was just a joke because you had just responded that same way to someone else. How can you criticize me for saying that when you yourself said the same thing?

Very condescending in your answer too.

Who are we to chain an 18-21 year old kid to anything? You advocate taking the freedom of choice from a kid? Hmmm.
A) I clearly stated that a coaching change should permit a kid to reconsider his school choice.
B) There are 350+ other schools to potentially go to
C) I don’t work for the NCAA, so I’m not chaining anyone. Scholarships are a privilege, not a right.

Ok, I hope our next coach brings some talent with him next year. Though if the A10 is as bad as it seems Mooney could mediocre his way to a decent record and Queally will shake his Mutombo finger at Hardt and we will slog on.

God I hope not.

Yeah, that went out the window a long time ago. Even big timers like Vitale and BIlas say the coach is more important than the school.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Hey man it was just a joke because you had just responded that same way to someone else. How can you criticize me for saying that when you yourself said the same thing?

Very condescending in your answer too.
All good. Sorry.

Just getting used to the groove in here.

Both boards have seemed surreal to me the last couple weeks. I have no idea what long time posters will say next.
It's the off-season. We all are jonesin for basketball and weirdness reigns everywhere. It will be going on until November. Happens every year.

I remember a lot of people weren't happy when Sanders (?) followed Wainwright here. Didn't get it at the time but I do now.
I believe it was Tim Mayes ... but same thing.
I don't like to see a player break a commitment to follow a coach to a new school, but I get it. the coach is a huge part of the commitment. you want to play for a guy who wants you and who you believe will use you properly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT